• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

How to Get Rid of Brendan Smith?s Cap Hit

The Dude

Henke maybe once his contract is up. Staal..I doubt it. someone will sign him for a year or two on a cheap deal.

my thoughts as well. Just don't see them walking away from the existing guaranteed money. It's looks like Klein left with one year on his deal worth 2.7M. Not sure what he signed for in Europe. Naslund - I couldn't find anything on Capfriendly.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

my thoughts as well. Just don't see them walking away from the existing guaranteed money. It's looks like Klein left with one year on his deal worth 2.7M. Not sure what he signed for in Europe. Naslund - I couldn't find anything on Capfriendly.

I mean, throughout his career Hank raked in $100 million. His total salary next year is $5.5, a large chuck of which he'll lose to taxes. He could easily afford to set his family up for generations in Sweden and go play with Joel in Frolunda again.

That said he won't. But its not about the money. It's about his desire to be a Ranger.

It’s a long shot. Freely admit that.

But you never know.

And it’s not unreasonable that a player who is diminished in play, has had many injuries of a severe nature, has a ton of miles on him, and is looking at a smaller role moving forward decides to hang it up

And he has 3 young children

OK.

My take is this whole line of thinking is good for us here because it gives us something to talk about but I would think JD and Co aren't seriously considering it in their planning going forward.

But well see.

I threw It out there as a purely speculative talking point.

I don’t believe it will happen either, and I’d bet that the organization doesn’t feel it will, nor are they planning on it either.

But I do think that there are some factual circumstances with Staal that make it a possibility.

As would I.

Don’t stress the cap hit on either of them too much.

Sounding like a broken record I am, but 18 months max is all that’s left.

It’s not killing them. I don’t think it’s standing in the way of them doing anything. Neither of them are blocking anyone right now.

At least in the case of Staal, having a guy like him around for the younger guys, showing him loyalty given all he’s given for the organization over the years, is important.

Gotta replace Kreider and give new deals to DeAngelo, Lemieux, Georgiev and possibly Strome. Need to either resign or replace Fast.... They absolutely do need to get rid of these contracts.