• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Stats Don't Lie — We're Sellers

LindG1000

Georgiev doesn't improve their goalie situation. And they've got Kaapo Kahkonen waiting in the wings, who did fine when called up. Wild have already got three options they like. Dubnyk has had a rough year because of his wife's illness, mentally it has been challenging, not a case of erosion of skills.

Georgiev markedly improves their goalie situation. At a glance, he's literally an 18 goal swing. Circumstances are what they are - if the Wild want to make the playoffs, they need a goalie playing better than 14 goals saved below average.

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Toronto's goalie situation is about the worst I've seen over the last couple weeks. Both their goalies looked very beatable last night against Edmonton.

If you guys get a chance to watch the highlights from last night's game, check out the move Connor McDavid put on Morgan Reilly...Holy shitballs!!!

Here: (It starts at 3:30)

...this is gonna be Kakko in 3 years!! :rofl:

Yeah right!!!!

best case is a continued strong effort falling just short on most nights. sell off kreider and anyone else that brings some value. get some lottery luck for the top three, dream for no. 1.

another year of expiring shit contacts and more youth on the way.

you might even be able to package some youth to get a ready now guy if done right.

love the spot we are in at the moment. totally can move forward dealing from a strong hand with the right guys (JD/Gorts) steering the ship.

There has probably never been a time in the whole Rangers existence where they were ever in such a good position.

moreso the rebuild has been fun to watch. you can see the effort and potential.

I think Toronto's goalie situation is about the worst I've seen over the last couple weeks. Both their goalies looked very beatable last night against Edmonton.

If you guys get a chance to watch the highlights from last night's game, check out the move Connor McDavid put on Morgan Reilly...Holy shitballs!!!

Here: (It starts at 3:30)

...this is gonna be Kakko in 3 years!! :rofl:

Yeah right!!!!

Damn! That was filthy!! Some real good offensive hockey in that whole clip.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

...game was back and forth all night, Kev!!

It was something else being able to watch McDavid and Draisaitl rip into the Leafs. I didn't feel so bad about our last loss up there after watching them undress pretty much every Leaf defenseman.

Riley got absolutely "traffic coned" on that play!!! :rofl:

Recently on the Chiclets podcast, they asked Chelios if he remembered a specific time he got walked through out his career. We just saw Reilly's memorable embarrassing moment.

One of the best ones I remember is when Brad May gave Ray Bourque the ol' "see ya later" and delivered the "MAY-DAY" goal!!

The biggest question I have re: the OP is if, in fact, the Rangers are sellers, to what degree? One would think the team would ostensibly be past the "firesale" portion of the rebuild and moving more into one focused on icing players for now (rather than futures). While "flip the free agents" sounds great on paper, there are quite a few of them if you account for RFAs as well.

How many of them are you willing to move on from at once?

The biggest question I have re: the OP is if, in fact, the Rangers are sellers, to what degree? One would think the team would ostensibly be past the "firesale" portion of the rebuild and moving more into one focused on icing players for now (rather than futures). While "flip the free agents" sounds great on paper, there are quite a few of them if you account for RFAs as well.

Really only Kreider and possibly Georgiev as an RFA for me.

I think the other big ones of Strome, ADA, and Fast are all guys they should seriously look at keeping around if they can find the right kind of deals for those guys that are fair for both parties.

As you stated, we are certainly beyond the “fire sale” phase of this.

That's up to the buyers.

If any of these guys want to stay, they should be going to Rangers management NOW with their contract requests. No more whaan whaan from players like Zuccarello's. You want to be in NY. Prove it. None of these guys are "vital" to the Rangers moving forward. Sure, Kreider or Strome might be a great piece, but for the foreseeable future, none of these guys departing will remove the team from cup contention during this window.

I'm willing to cut bait on:

Kreider

McKegg

Fogarty

Haley

ADA

Georgiev

Belesky (buried)

http://www.capfriendly.com/teams/rangers

I can see signing Fast, but that's FAR from a must....and I wouldn't give him more than 2.5 million/year

Strome; I wanna see more of the rest of the way. I like Strome's game, and he can be a really good #3 Center. It really depends on what he demands as far as salary. If it's more than 5 mil for 4 years I'd think twice.

Georgiev markedly improves their goalie situation. At a glance, he's literally an 18 goal swing. Circumstances are what they are - if the Wild want to make the playoffs, they need a goalie playing better than 14 goals saved below average.

You've got a 63 game sample for Georgiev, a 511 game sample for Dubnyk.

https://www.hockey-reference.com/players/d/dubnyde01.html

https://www.hockey-reference.com/players/g/georgal01.html

you're cherry-picking the 20 game sample from this year to suggest Georgiev is an upgrade over Dubnyk. The career body of evidence shows that Dubnyk is a better goalie than Georgiev, and we should expect Dubnyk will return to form. If you take a small sample from any goalie, you can argue that they are Patrick Roy or should be in the AHL.

This is 100% the right answer.

If a team desperate for a center wants to send us a gold mine for Strome? Or desperate for a defender and willing to overpay for ADA?

How much we sell depends exclusively on the return.

Well.... yeah.

Kind of goes without saying that you take the call and listen to the offer and if someone offers the equivalent of the moon for a guy, you take it.

You've got a 63 game sample for Georgiev, a 511 game sample for Dubnyk.

https://www.hockey-reference.com/players/d/dubnyde01.html

https://www.hockey-reference.com/players/g/georgal01.html

you're cherry-picking the 20 game sample from this year to suggest Georgiev is an upgrade over Dubnyk. The career body of evidence shows that Dubnyk is a better goalie than Georgiev, and we should expect Dubnyk will return to form. If you take a small sample from any goalie, you can argue that they are Patrick Roy or should be in the AHL.

Nah. I'm not.

Dubnyk's past body of work is impressive, but he's not living up to that this year behind a defense that's better than league average by a fair bit (~9xGA better than average). That's IN SPITE of Dubnyk and Stalock, neither of whom seem to be able to make a key save.

Georgiev has been markedly better behind a markedly worse defense - a defense that's literally 17 xGA worse than Minny.

You can argue that Dubnyk's body of work is more impressive than Georgiev, which is true considering one is 10 years the others' senior. You can argue Dubnyk will rebound, but he needs to do that, like, today, for the Wild to remain consistent. Unlikely. This year - right now - Georgiev would instantly be Minny's #1 and would solidify the weakest link in that team.

Nah. I'm not.

Dubnyk's past body of work is impressive, but he's not living up to that this year behind a defense that's better than league average by a fair bit (~9xGA better than average). That's IN SPITE of Dubnyk and Stalock, neither of whom seem to be able to make a key save.

Georgiev has been markedly better behind a markedly worse defense - a defense that's literally 17 xGA worse than Minny.

You can argue that Dubnyk's body of work is more impressive than Georgiev, which is true considering one is 10 years the others' senior. You can argue Dubnyk will rebound, but he needs to do that, like, today, for the Wild to remain consistent. Unlikely. This year - right now - Georgiev would instantly be Minny's #1 and would solidify the weakest link in that team.

So we're elevating Georgiev from a platoon situation with the Rangers to an every-night starter with a new team, and he's guaranteed to be an upgrade over a proven NHL starter? Color me dubious, but I can agree to disagree.

[/b]

So we're elevating Georgiev from a platoon situation with the Rangers to an every-night starter with a new team, and he's guaranteed to be an upgrade over a proven NHL starter? Color me dubious, but I can agree to disagree.

He probably joins Minny's platoon in this hypothetical situation, but would be their best option this year, yeah. Until Dubnyk gets back to form, anyway.

Look, right now, Dubnyk and Stalock are platooning. Both are performing well below average - Dubnyk's down 2.63 points on save percentage versus expectation, Stalock 2.25 points. Dubnyk's S% is under .900. They're a combined -27.3 GSAA. They're extremely weak on high danger chances - both in the basement of goalies who have played at least 15 games. They're really unable to bail the team out of a mistake, and that's a huge problem. Combined, they're the worst group in the NHL, trailed shortly by the Predators, who have apparently finally found the bottom of the Finnish goalie well.

This is in spite of Minnesota having, as I said, a suspiciously good defense, and around an average offense. It paints the picture of a team that's a handful of key stops from the playoffs that just isn't getting them.

Georgiev, in spite of being behind a bottom 5 NHL defense, is still outperforming expectations - his .905 save percentage is better than expectation by around .7, and his GSAA is 4.22. He's markedly outperforming the team in front of him, and markedly outperforming both of the Minnesota goalies. Even with our firewagon swisscheese defense, he's stopping over 81% of high danger chances - a full 9 points over Stalock and a mindboggling 15 over Dubnyk.

Plenty of other fits for Georgiev if Minny isn't interested, but I have to imagine that if they decide to push, they need to find a goalie that can make saves, and we've got a surplus.