• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

When Do We Call Up Shesterkin?

Keirik

If I'm the Rangers I make two phonecalls first. One to Detroit and the other to Ottawa. I offer Georgie to both with the stipulation they also take on Smith as well. Have a chance to get a piece of a rebuild and only need one contract to take on for next year to get that. I'd even possibly take Anisimov back if that helps Ottawa with them retainijg some salary. Id rather not but I just, want Smith out of here and honestly the best chance is with him being attached with Georgie.

I don't know if the Rangers will trade one of their best assets for pennies just to get rid of Smith. Rangers 4th line sucks but it's not really an issue worth caring about this season. I imagine they'll look to move him in the offseason.

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know if the Rangers will trade one of their best assets for pennies just to get rid of Smith. Rangers 4th line sucks but it's not really an issue worth caring about this season. I imagine they'll look to move him in the offseason.

Well im not suggesting sends NG him for pennies really. I'm just saying if they are given the opportunity to rid themselves of a contract along with the trade they should explore it if there isn't a trade option for real assets. I'm just trying to see a way we have extra money to keep ADA and Lemieux. Sometimes you're going to lose a trade if it helps in other ways. This of course is assuming they want to keep guys like Ada and lemieux of course. I'm just trying to find a way to not go into the offseason with lesser salary options.

How is tying a plug like Smith onto Georgie or anyone for that matter a good thing for the team that maybe buying? Kinda like here take some shit with your backup goalie who's a RFA after this season any way. Pipe dream imo but sure cheers to it playing out that way.

Well im not suggesting sends NG him for pennies really. I'm just saying if they are given the opportunity to rid themselves of a contract along with the trade they should explore it if there isn't a trade option for real assets. I'm just trying to see a way we have extra money to keep ADA and Lemieux. Sometimes you're going to lose a trade if it helps in other ways. This of course is assuming they want to keep guys like Ada and lemieux of course. I'm just trying to find a way to not go into the offseason with lesser salary options.

Sure. they'll have decisions to make. I think Phil mentioned trading Skjei, which I'm all for. But Georgie is young enough and good enough where teams might be looking at him as a potential starter in the future. Tying him to Smith is not good asset management -- and I'm generally a proponent of letting players walk for nothing. Get the best deal you can for Georgie and get creative this summer. If Lucic can be traded, so can Smith.

How is tying a plug like Smith onto Georgie or anyone for that matter a good thing for the team that maybe buying? Kinda like here take some shit with your backup goalie who's a RFA after this season any way. Pipe dream imo but sure cheers to it playing out that way.

I get the first part of your point but the second part makes no sense. The concept of Georgiev is that a team is trading for an NHL starter that is still cap controlled after this season. I'd be fine with changing Smith to Skjei and seeing what you can get as a package.

I was referring to San Jose being 7 points out and not being out of it. They have a good, playoff quality roster that has also underachieved all year, and have a better chance than the Rangers to make a 2nd half run. Especially if they can snag a goalie.

They have too much ground to make up against the better teams in the league.

Of the games they have left, 21 of them are coming against western coference teams ahead of them in the standings and I didn't even count the eastern conference teams.

I get the first part of your point but the second part makes no sense. The concept of Georgiev is that a team is trading for an NHL starter that is still cap controlled after this season. I'd be fine with changing Smith to Skjei and seeing what you can get as a package.

Under any circumstances ridding ourselves of either Skjei or Smith is addition by subtraction in my opinion. As for Georgiev I don't see him as a proven starter so expecting a return as if he is a 1 isn't in the cards if I'm betting. Therefore any deal tying a guy like Smith to it as a condition wouldn't fly again imo.

Not sure any other team views Georgiev as anything more than a backup. He's played very well, but that was true of Raanta and Talbot. In fairness Raanta when healthy is a #1, Talbot is not. But in any case there isn't much of a market for backup goalies. You'll get something; but what, late round pick, bottom 6 forward. But suspect other teams probably think they can find a decent backup internally rather than pay much for it. And any NYR goalie 's success is looked at as due in part to benny Allaire.
  • Like 1

Either or. TO needs a B/U, but Minny's goalies are shyte.

To Phil's point, goalies rarely move at the deadline.

I agree with all of that

Personally don?t feel that bringing Shesty up necessarily indicates a trade is imminent or in the works or even likely.

It would surprise me a little if he got dealt in season.

Of the games they have left, 21 of them are coming against western coference teams ahead of them in the standings and I didn't even count the eastern conference teams.

Only 2 teams are below them, so that's not saying much.

The Sharks started the season 4-10-1. Since then, they are 15-11-3. They are trending up and that is with absolutely horrific goaltending. I wouldn't blame them if they think acquiring a goalie gets them back in the mix. Georgiev to SJ makes all the sense in the world. He's cheap, young, and he's better than what they've got.

Lundqvist has started 22 games, Georgiev has started 19.

For the Rangers at least that's 1 and 1a. He's also 23 years old. Not like he's 31 and a career backup. I'd say a lot more teams consider him a young future starter than they do career backup. This isn't a Talbot situation. I believe he was around 27-28 when he was taking over for a hurt Henrik.

Of the games they have left, 21 of them are coming against western conference teams ahead of them in the standings and I didn't even count the eastern conference teams.

Their remaining strength of schedule is dead average, but honestly...they're just too far back to think the recovery is realistic. They'd basically need to win out to the ASG to think they're going to have a shot and think dealing for Georgiev is worth it.

Under any circumstances ridding ourselves of either Skjei or Smith is addition by subtraction in my opinion. As for Georgiev I don't see him as a proven starter so expecting a return as if he is a 1 isn't in the cards if I'm betting. Therefore any deal tying a guy like Smith to it as a condition wouldn't fly again imo.

Smith is definitely movable a-la Matt Beleskey. We hold half, he's a utility guy for some other team next year, out of the league by 2022.

We won't get much for him, but he's definitely not off the table.

Hank just did an interview on the call up and he sounded kinda defeated. It was kinda sad

additional context from the interview beyond what the clip showed (from Carp/Athletic)

https://theathletic.com/1514616/2020/01/06/igor-shesterkins-call-up-brings-a-lot-of-buzz-but-also-some-tough-questions/

[Hank] was asked if it?s at all disappointing?

?No, like I said, the big change in approach as an organization is not this past week or yesterday or today,? he said. ?It was how we changed the mindset a little bit two years ago. You know, you look at my game. Do I want to win more games? Absolutely. If I break down my game a little more detailed, I think I?m doing pretty good if you compare it to other goalies in the league, if you look at scoring chances against, and how I do that. But if you look at wins, yeah, I would definitely want to have more wins and make a difference.

?Right now there?s two guys next to me. I was in their position 14 to 15 years ago. You get into the league and you get an opportunity to play. You have to support them, and it?s an exciting time for them, for both.?

additional context from the interview beyond what the clip showed (from Carp/Athletic)

https://theathletic.com/1514616/2020/01/06/igor-shesterkins-call-up-brings-a-lot-of-buzz-but-also-some-tough-questions/

[Hank] was asked if it’s at all disappointing?

“No, like I said, the big change in approach as an organization is not this past week or yesterday or today,” he said. “It was how we changed the mindset a little bit two years ago. You know, you look at my game. Do I want to win more games? Absolutely. If I break down my game a little more detailed, I think I’m doing pretty good if you compare it to other goalies in the league, if you look at scoring chances against, and how I do that. But if you look at wins, yeah, I would definitely want to have more wins and make a difference.

“Right now there’s two guys next to me. I was in their position 14 to 15 years ago. You get into the league and you get an opportunity to play. You have to support them, and it’s an exciting time for them, for both.”

Class act. Like Eli Manning was this year for the Giants and his support of Daniel Jones. Has to be even tougher for Henrik because he has more in the tank than Eli does/did.

Smith is definitely movable a-la Matt Beleskey. We hold half, he's a utility guy for some other team next year, out of the league by 2022.

We won't get much for him, but he's definitely not off the table.

He definitely is moveable. Personally I think the Sens make the most sense because they might take on the whole salary. I do get that possibly it means you get less for Georgie packaged but I look at it as a way to have more money to retain Strome, Lemieux, and ADA. Skjei is saveable so I’d rather keep him if possible. Staal in my opinion gets bought out next summer. That would give an extra 6m or so I believe which is the difference of keeping one extra of those guys probably. We also are dealing Kreider at some point this season for more assets most likely. At some point though, you have to decide if some people are keepers instead of just nonstop picks. I’d like to think at least 2 of those 3 are keepers.