• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

When Do We Call Up Shesterkin?

Keirik

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah by deadline times, teams vying for a playoff spot usually have their goalie situation in order otherwise they probably aren’t in the hunt playoff wise. Teams locked in usually trade for insurance which doesn’t bring a large return. Now is when his value is highest, while teams on the outside looking in might give up a bit more if they think they still have a chance to turn around a season.

How many teams are "a goalie away" right now, though? I don't think any. San Jose is too far out of it. Not sure TO thinks they need a b/u. Minnesota?

At this point he probably gets moved at the draft. Unless they somehow package him with Krieder?

How many teams are "a goalie away" right now, though? I don't think any. San Jose is too far out of it. Not sure TO thinks they need a b/u. Minnesota?

At this point he probably gets moved at the draft. Unless they somehow package him with Krieder?

When you say “goalie away” what do you mean?

Just trying to clarify.

Are you saying someone is looking at him under the presumption of him being a starter?

While it’s possible, its more likely he’s dealt, if at all, to go be a backup somewhere, at least for now.

Though I agree on the draft angle that if someone does presume he’s potentially a starter moving forward at some point, you’d make that deal for him come draft time. No one is looking for their potential goalie of the future in January and February.

Would you categorize Georgiev as a major goalie?

That’s an honest question, not facetious or baiting.

Miller was dealt to St. Louis to start. Presumably, Georgiev would be dealt to be a backup somewhere.

Don’t know that it’s quite the same set of circumstances.

No, but depending on the trade destination, he could be? A team like San Jos? or Minnesota would view Georgiev wholly different than a team like Toronto or Calgary?

Yeah by deadline times, teams vying for a playoff spot usually have their goalie situation in order otherwise they probably aren’t in the hunt playoff wise. Teams locked in usually trade for insurance which doesn’t bring a large return. Now is when his value is highest, while teams on the outside looking in might give up a bit more if they think they still have a chance to turn around a season.

Exactly. The best time to make a trade is when a trade presents itself (and is good). Talbot taught them as much. Pull the trigger.

When you say “goalie away” what do you mean?

Just trying to clarify.

Are you saying someone is looking at him under the presumption of him being a starter?

While it’s possible, its more likely he’s dealt, if at all, to go be a backup somewhere, at least for now.

Though I agree on the draft angle that if someone does presume he’s potentially a starter moving forward at some point, you’d make that deal for him come draft time. No one is looking for their potential goalie of the future in January and February.

Either or. TO needs a B/U, but Minny's goalies are shyte.

To Phil's point, goalies rarely move at the deadline.

Georgiev would be better suited shoring up a general situation. A team with playoff aspirations that has a shitty backup. Obviously a team like the Leafs, where they're a pulled groin away from disaster.

What's that worth? I don't think that much.

Well Columbus and San Jose are the two more obvious ones. Now I get they aren’t in a playoff point now, but especially with SJ they did figure this year was a cup run year. Besides, right now everyone still remembers STL and how they went worst to first so for this year at least, some teams might hold onto hope a he’ll of a lot longer than years past. Montreal is a curious case because Price is doing pretty poorly this year. Minnesota as you said is another option.

Besides, even a few teams not in the hunt but without a legit goalie like Ottawa would still be interested in a young goalie with upside that still has the ability to control cost since he’s an RFA and probably would take a good bridge deal at this point in his career.

Well Columbus and San Jose are the two more obvious ones. Now I get they aren’t in a playoff point now, but especially with SJ they did figure this year was a cup run year. Besides, right now everyone still remembers STL and how they went worst to first so for this year at least, some teams might hold onto hope a he’ll of a lot longer than years past. Montreal is a curious case because Price is doing pretty poorly this year. Minnesota as you said is another option.

Besides, even a few teams not in the hunt but without a legit goalie like Ottawa would still be interested in a young goalie with upside that still has the ability to control cost since he’s an RFA and probably would take a good bridge deal at this point in his career.

Agree, that's why I think it's 65/35 he's just dealt at the draft.

7 points is too far out? I don't agree, especially after what St. Louis did last year.

7 points is too far out? I don't agree, especially after what St. Louis did last year.

While I agree it's not out of reach, St. Louis can't really be used as an example. That kind of turnaround will likely never happen again. They also had an incredible lineup that was underachieving. We don't.

So....what are the chances management approached him about waiving his no trade? He does sound defeated. I could see him looking for a cup before it's time to call it a career. I know he is a New York man but I could see him loving a stint in San Jose. Just a thought.

So....what are the chances management approached him about waiving his no trade? He does sound defeated. I could see him looking for a cup before it's time to call it a career. I know he is a New York man but I could see him loving a stint in San Jose. Just a thought.

He and the team have both said on multiple occasions that he wants to finish his career here. I?d be completely shocked if he is actually traded.

The link for the interview doesn?t work for me on my phone but if my career was coming to an end I?d be defeated too.

This move is either to see if shesterkin is ready so they can move georgiev or this is to showcase shesterkin for a trade. Either way hanks not moving.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

While I agree it's not out of reach, St. Louis can't really be used as an example. That kind of turnaround will likely never happen again. They also had an incredible lineup that was underachieving. We don't.

I was referring to San Jose being 7 points out and not being out of it. They have a good, playoff quality roster that has also underachieved all year, and have a better chance than the Rangers to make a 2nd half run. Especially if they can snag a goalie.

If I'm the Rangers I make two phonecalls first. One to Detroit and the other to Ottawa. I offer Georgie to both with the stipulation they also take on Smith as well. Have a chance to get a piece of a rebuild and only need one contract to take on for next year to get that. I'd even possibly take Anisimov back if that helps Ottawa with them retainijg some salary. Id rather not but I just, want Smith out of here and honestly the best chance is with him being attached with Georgie.