• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers vs. Flyers Preseason Game #5 ? 9/26/19 ? 7pm, MSG

Morphinity 2.0

felt like a lets get the season started game. Lias, ADA and Hank were probably the best on the ice.

Understand the Kakko 5/5 comments. Is there a chance he's working on his 200 foot game in the preseason at the expense of not trying to score. Quinn's comments after the Isles game was that he wanted to put more emphasis on board play.

i think Staal is an underated player in so far as what he brings to mentoring the young guys.

Libor looked great as well.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know what Staal did training wise in the summer but he has looked real solid the last 2 he was in. Lemieux is much improved, skating wise in comparison to last year. Hank tweaked his style in a good way. He stayed on his skates instead of dropping at the hint of a shot. ADAs hands and skating didn't look rusty. Those are encouraging little things in my book.

It's still preseason with hodgepodge lineups, but my guess is it shakes out like this.

Panarin - Zibanejad - Buch: Will likely dominate

Kreider - Strome - Kakko: Kreider will be streaky as always. At times Kakko will look like a superstar and at times he'll look 18. It's fine.

Namestnikov - Andersson: Are going to be 2/3's of a solid third line. Might have Lemieux, Chytil, or Krav here.

Some combination of Lemieux, Nieves, Fast, Howden, McKegg will be a good defensive 4th line.

Chytil and Krav can move between NY and Hartford as their play dictates until, at the very least, Names is moved at the dealine.

It's still preseason with hodgepodge lineups, but my guess is it shakes out like this.

Panarin - Zibanejad - Buch: Will likely dominate

Kreider - Strome - Kakko: Kreider will be streaky as always. At times Kakko will look like a superstar and at times he'll look 18. It's fine.

Namestnikov - Andersson: Are going to be 2/3's of a solid third line. Might have Lemieux, Chytil, or Krav here.

Some combination of Lemieux, Nieves, Fast, Howden, McKegg will be a good defensive 4th line.

Chytil and Krav can move between NY and Hartford as their play dictates until, at the very least, Names is moved at the dealine.

If that is what it is, so be it; but I think that it is such a waste to give a middle six roster spot to Strome and Namestikov when neither really fits into the teams long term plans and is not a considerable upgrade over Kravtsov, Andersson or Chytil. I mean if you were building an NHL franchise would Ryan Strome be a consideration for your second line center?

If that is what it is, so be it; but I think that it is such a waste to give a middle six roster spot to Strome and Namestikov when neither really fits into the teams long term plans and is not a considerable upgrade over Kravtsov, Andersson or Chytil. I mean if you were building an NHL franchise would Ryan Strome be a consideration for your second line center?

Strome and Names are actually quite significant upgrades over those three players.

But that's not the point. If a young player isn't ready to play in the NHL, they shouldn't be in the NHL. That seems to be Quinn's thinking with Kravtsov. Again, there is no rush with him. Chytil and Lias are a different position.

Regarding your comment on Strome, that's hyperbole at it's best. Would he be there when I'm done building a franchise? No. But he can sure be there while I'm laying the groundwork and starting to build it.

Strome and Names are actually quite significant upgrades over those three players.

But that's not the point. If a young player isn't ready to play in the NHL, they shouldn't be in the NHL. That seems to be Quinn's thinking with Kravtsov. Again, there is no rush with him. Chytil and Lias are a different position.

Regarding your comment on Strome, that's hyperbole at it's best. Would he be there when I'm done building a franchise? No. But he can sure be there while I'm laying the groundwork and starting to build it.

That is not a fair comment(and maybe I wasn't clear) regarding them(Strome & Namestikov) being "significant upgrades" over Kravtsov, Andersson or Chytil, as you are comparing their ability where they are right this moment. Strome & Namestikov are what they are at 26 years old; versatile & serviceable middle 6 players. The three prospects are on this team because of their ceiling. Will any of or all of them surpass Strome/Namestikov? Maybe-probably. Will any of them be equal or less than Strome/Namestikov? Maybe-probably.

I could make the argument that Namestikov removed from the ? season that he skated between Stamkos & Kucherov is essentially Jesper Fast. I think Andersson who has the lowest ceiling is capable of that. The point is that they are in franchise building as you alluded to, and my argument if NOT why keep either, but rather why keep BOTH.

As for your last sentence, you used the word hyperbole incorrectly. Hyperbole is an exaggerated statement; I asked an exaggerated question.

https://www.dictionary.com/browse/hyperbole?s=t

again Kappo was invisible last night. me thinks if he wasn't the #2 overall pick, he'd be back in finland by now

I think you're wrong. I've seen a player that is absolutely NHL caliber from the get-go, and especially NHL caliber on the powerplay. He'll settle in with time and consistent linemates, but he deserves to be here.

I think you're wrong. I've seen a player that is absolutely NHL caliber from the get-go, and especially NHL caliber on the powerplay. He'll settle in with time and consistent linemates, but he deserves to be here.

from these preseason games? agree to disagree but I haven't seen anything from him this preseason. he missed a net couple of times, nothing else stands out to me

from these preseason games? agree to disagree but I haven't seen anything from him this preseason. he missed a net couple of times, nothing else stands out to me

The time he had in Traverse City also contributes. He looked a cut above the rest there, which told me he's probably ready for the next level.

For preseason, he has only played in three preseason games so the sample size is very small. He looked very dangerous almost all game against the Devils in his first preseason game. The other two games have been more uneventful, but at the same time he's been on a different line with completely different players in all 3 games. I guess for me personally, I've seen enough of him with the puck on his stick and the way he uses his body and strength to feel like he belongs.

The time he had in Traverse City also contributes. He looked a cut above the rest there, which told me he's probably ready for the next level.

For preseason, he has only played in three preseason games so the sample size is very small. He looked very dangerous almost all game against the Devils in his first preseason game. The other two games have been more uneventful, but at the same time he's been on a different line with completely different players in all 3 games. I guess for me personally, I've seen enough of him with the puck on his stick and the way he uses his body and strength to feel like he belongs.

I'm not looking forward to seeing him on a line with Kreider, though.

Kreider pre season has been trash. Every time he has the puck on his stick, the next person to touch the puck is usually the opponent.

I was openly hoping Krav / Chytil / Kakko would explode and force them to do something else with Kreider.

I'm not looking forward to seeing him on a line with Kreider, though.

Kreider pre season has been trash. Every time he has the puck on his stick, the next person to touch the puck is usually the opponent.

I was openly hoping Krav / Chytil / Kakko would explode and force them to do something else with Kreider.

Agreed on Kreider. He looks like a bumbling 3rd liner at the start here to be honest.

at Traverse he was playing against other kids. im striccktly judging on his pre-season performance.

I thought of him more of a "one man wrecking crew". I haven't seen any flashes of it yet. in comparison, Kravtsvov has been more noticeable and we're talking about sending him to Hartford.

That is not a fair comment(and maybe I wasn't clear) regarding them(Strome & Namestikov) being "significant upgrades" over Kravtsov, Andersson or Chytil, as you are comparing their ability where they are right this moment. Strome & Namestikov are what they are at 26 years old; versatile & serviceable middle 6 players. The three prospects are on this team because of their ceiling. Will any of or all of them surpass Strome/Namestikov? Maybe-probably. Will any of them be equal or less than Strome/Namestikov? Maybe-probably.

I could make the argument that Namestikov removed from the ? season that he skated between Stamkos & Kucherov is essentially Jesper Fast. I think Andersson who has the lowest ceiling is capable of that. The point is that they are in franchise building as you alluded to, and my argument if NOT why keep either, but rather why keep BOTH.

As for your last sentence, you used the word hyperbole incorrectly. Hyperbole is an exaggerated statement; I asked an exaggerated question.

https://www.dictionary.com/browse/hyperbole?s=t

They're both here. Names is a UFA, all but guaranteed to be traded by the deadline. Strome is a RFA that probably won't be here next year. Fast is likely gone. Kreider's days are likely numbered as well. Your acting like Names and Strome are on 7 year deals blocking the teenagers forever.