• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

The Potential Consequences of Filip Chytil's Pedestrian Rangers Camp

RodrigueGabriel

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just don't see how you can watch Chytil in that last game, falling all over the ice, and think, "yeah, he's ready." I don't think he should have been here last year, and I think with a better supporting cast in Hartford (Krav, Rykov, Shesterkin, etc.) he'll take another step.

I know the youngsters WANT to be in New York. But the Rangers also need to look at the bigger picture.

I just don't see how you can watch Chytil in that last game, falling all over the ice, and think, "yeah, he's ready." I don't think he should have been here last year, and I think with a better supporting cast in Hartford (Krav, Rykov, Shesterkin, etc.) he'll take another step.

I know the youngsters WANT to be in New York. But the Rangers also need to look at the bigger picture.

I absolutely think they’d learn more in the nhl, even under Quinn, than they would in Hartford.

I still maintain that playing 13-15 mins a night, 60-70 games a season in the nhl is more beneficial than a guy playing 20 min, 80 games in Hartford.

All anyone had to see from Chytil to know his “readiness” was that frustrating hooking penalty in the 3rd or whatever they called it. He has talent but he has issues. The difference between him and say, a Strome, is that while they both have issues and flaws, Strome has previously proved himself more than NHL capable. He’s 26 and already been a 50 pt player. At the very least he’s expendable in the way of playing him and if it doesn’t wok, so be it, trade, demote, ruin, whatever. That is not something a pimple faced child in Chytil should be exposed to unless absolutely necessary.

I’d keep them all here. Won’t get a chance to have kids learn at this level for a few decades

You can get assets for Strome/Namestnikov at the deadline. Unless they are contenders, but in that case they likely contributed a bunch to the team's success. So if the kids aren't ready, play them in Hartford until then.

The assets you might get for Strome/Namestnikov at the deadline would be pretty nominal. Perhaps 3rd round pick for Strome, 4th for Names. Most contenders won't have cap space for Names' $4 million hit, even for one pay period, and we may not be in a cap position to retain. In short, I wouldn't plan around trades for these guys or give them ice time in the hopes of getting something for them.

I agree that Chytil might have benefited from Hartford for last season, but he's already been their for most of a year and I am not sure he would really benefit from it at this point. I think it's academic, as he's likely to start in NY but not at center. Strome is a safe 2d line center in the short term until things sort themselves out, which they will.

Sorry boys my bad on my post. Correction the year after Chytil was drafted he should have been in Junior hockey, last year Hartford, this year hopefully a more mature grown up kid and hockey player. Being 11 months in age behind Andersson and others in his draft group is huge. Two years ago when he started in the Check league, then the Rangers got him out of there, then Hartford, then the World Juniors, then some more Hartford and NHL games, was IMO a moronic exercise in how not to develop a kid, bouncing him around like a yoyo, when they could have put him in a challenging stable environment like maybe London playing for Dale Hunter. There's a lot to be learned at that age playing junior hockey, hopefully being a team cornerstone player 25 minutes a night, special teams regular, faceoff go to guy ect. ect. Guaranteed he would have learned lots. Sure he scored 31 AHL points in 46 games, in that first season, but that's supposedly his game. Did the rest of his game develop? Doesn't appear to have. Now its like his entire game and psyche is suffering, which I think goes back to his bungled handling his first year and even last year spending most of the season in the NHL, always struggling never a solid piece. The kids got the physical goods evident as can be watching him, but his head just isn't there yet. If the Rangers harbour hopes he's a center he needs 25 minutes a night in Hartford, play in all situations, and more importantly succeed in all those situations, not just mediocre scoring. Or the way they do things they will keep him as a wing and and 4 months from now wonder why he is struggling when they put him at center. .
  • Like 1

Why doesn't anyone think Namestnikov will have success playing with higher caliber players? I feel like he rose to the occasion with Stamkos. I'd say give it a shot.

He has the skill to.

That’s not what Quinn wants from him, and sat him until he turned into Fast

Sorry boys my bad on my post. Correction the year after Chytil was drafted he should have been in Junior hockey, last year Hartford, this year hopefully a more mature grown up kid and hockey player. Being 11 months in age behind Andersson and others in his draft group is huge. Two years ago when he started in the Check league, then the Rangers got him out of there, then Hartford, then the World Juniors, then some more Hartford and NHL games, was IMO a moronic exercise in how not to develop a kid, bouncing him around like a yoyo, when they could have put him in a challenging stable environment like maybe London playing for Dale Hunter. There's a lot to be learned at that age playing junior hockey, hopefully being a team cornerstone player 25 minutes a night, special teams regular, faceoff go to guy ect. ect. Guaranteed he would have learned lots. Sure he scored 31 AHL points in 46 games, in that first season, but that's supposedly his game. Did the rest of his game develop? Doesn't appear to have. Now its like his entire game and psyche is suffering, which I think goes back to his bungled handling his first year and even last year spending most of the season in the NHL, always struggling never a solid piece. The kids got the physical goods evident as can be watching him, but his head just isn't there yet. If the Rangers harbour hopes he's a center he needs 25 minutes a night in Hartford, play in all situations, and more importantly succeed in all those situations, not just mediocre scoring. Or the way they do things they will keep him as a wing and and 4 months from now wonder why he is struggling when they put him at center. .

Totally agreed, here. I wanted him in North Bay but it seemingly was never an option.

The assets you might get for Strome/Namestnikov at the deadline would be pretty nominal. Perhaps 3rd round pick for Strome, 4th for Names. Most contenders won't have cap space for Names' $4 million hit, even for one pay period, and we may not be in a cap position to retain. In short, I wouldn't plan around trades for these guys or give them ice time in the hopes of getting something for them.

I agree that Chytil might have benefited from Hartford for last season, but he's already been their for most of a year and I am not sure he would really benefit from it at this point. I think it's academic, as he's likely to start in NY but not at center. Strome is a safe 2d line center in the short term until things sort themselves out, which they will.

None of those cap concerns exist at the TDL. Last year Brian Boyle returned a 2nd. Hagelin a 3rd and a conditional. Dzingel was traded for Duclair and 2 2nds. Brassard a 3rd.

Names and Strome can play all 3 forward positions, pp and pk. Teams are always looking for versatile depth at the TDL.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

None of those cap concerns exist at the TDL. Last year Brian Boyle returned a 2nd. Hagelin a 3rd and a conditional. Dzingel was traded for Duclair and 2 2nds. Brassard a 3rd.

Names and Strome can play all 3 forward positions, pp and pk. Teams are always looking for versatile depth at the TDL.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

If Strome comes close to duplicating his after acquisition performance last season with the Rangers he’s money in the bank at the trade deadline..

OK. He also played Names with Zib.

Hot take: Names sucks unless he's with the league MVP.

Agreed. Namestnikov is a complete waste of 4 million dollars -- and hopefully a lesson in that it's okay to let guys go for "nothing."

I believe he was signed only to be traded ala Spooner. Turns out not playing well for 2 seasons can effect your value. Not having 4 million dollars on the payroll would have been a win in that situation.

Agreed. Namestnikov is a complete waste of 4 million dollars -- and hopefully a lesson in that it's okay to let guys go for "nothing."

I believe he was signed only to be traded ala Spooner. Turns out not playing well for 2 seasons can effect your value. Not having 4 million dollars on the payroll would have been a win in that situation.

We?ll see at the deadline. My guess is he has some salary retained and is traded along with Kreider, and I think Fast might be a goner too (too lazy to check but his contract is up at the end of the year I believe?).

Hel get a pick for him

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

wonder if the demotion of chytil and kravtsov had some JD fingerprints on it. new coaching and system down there and JD might feel there better off and were miss handled last year.

Also strongly agree with the post regarding Names and Strome being players that have versatile use. given our salary cap you can't disregard flexibility in this day and age.

just shows you despite all the good feelings from the draft and fa signings over the summer that there is still a ton of work to do here to get where we want to go.