• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Let's Talk About Tony DeAngelo

Gravesy

If Claesson improves a bit more, he's similar to Stralman, which I liked.

I agree with Pionk/ADA being involved in a package deal for a better pick or prospect at the deadline.

Strahlman!!! That's it!! I couldn't put my finger on the guy he reminded me of!!! Good man !!!! :)

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I see no reason why this kid isn't in the lineup regularly. The fact that this entire D is fucking awful and is full of has beens and place holders, this kid really needs to be in there more.

I see no difference between effectiveness between he also Pionk. I'm still underwhelmed with Pionk and some of his decision making with the puck, never mind how shitty he is defensively.

I'd really like to see him get more PP time. If they have no interest in giving him a spot as part of the future. They really need to up his value. That's only going to happen with him being on the ice.

I see no reason why this kid isn't in the lineup regularly. The fact that this entire D is fucking awful and is full of has beens and place holders, this kid really needs to be in there more.

I see no difference between effectiveness between he also Pionk. I'm still underwhelmed with Pionk and some of his decision making with the puck, never mind how shitty he is defensively.

I'd really like to see him get more PP time. If they have no interest in giving him a spot as part of the future. They really need to up his value. That's only going to happen with him being on the ice.

This.

Making assumptions here, but if they gave him the same amount of icetime and the PP1 gig Pionk has had I'm absolutely certain his production would be very good.

Certainly sufficient to make him very tradeable, if that's where we're headed.

This.

Making assumptions here, but if they gave him the same amount of icetime and the PP1 gig Pionk has had I'm absolutely certain his production would be very good.

Certainly sufficient to make him very tradeable, if that's where we're headed.

I think you're on the right track, Gravy! I think with the trade deadline approaching we should be seeing a lot more of D'Angelo. Even though he's a young player and fits the mold of "rebuild", it looks like he's not going to pan out to be one of Quinn's "guys". That's fine, I get that and that's great, but we should be marching him out there every game up to the deadline to market him a little more. I agree.

Same with Pionk. I like Pionk, and he's a young guy as well. I see there are some gaping holes in his game, and that's to be expected. But if Pionk can help land us a pick or a prospect that's going to make a real impact, I'm all for coupling him up in a deal as well.

i don't think it's just Pionk or ADA, I think the whole D is one big shitshow.

hard to know what you have when your partner is just as inept as you.

Quite a few have been shitty, you're right about that Slobby! Fact is that if you add in the fact that our wingers, especially guys like Buchnevich, Vesey, and quite a few others not named Jesper Fast have been downright terrible in the defensive zone, and guilty of more turnovers than a bakery! That surely doesn't help the D at all.

Brendan Smith, who I actually used to like, has been shitty. No doubt!

Shattenkirk has been a mere shell of what he used to be.

Skjei was playing like a pussy for much of the season, but lately he's been better on the puck. He needs to play a lot tougher, but he's still learning

Pionk was showing signs of progress early but has hit a wall of late. That "play" against the Isles on that late winning goal was an absolute giggle fest for starters.

D'Angelo plays tough at times; he's listed at 5' 11"...that must be standing on stilts. I think we need bigger, tougher defenseman that can clear the crease, and then move the puck.

Staal is actually having his best year in a long time; possibly because the others look so bad, but overall I've been pleased with his game.

Claesson has been pretty solid. Pretty capable player and keeps it simple.

McQuaid has been pretty good. I love his toughness and I really see a lot of Beukeboom in this guy. I hope we hang on to him because he's exactly what I like about Defenseman.

Lindgren looks bigger than 6 feet tall. He certainly played like it last game. So far so good, but I wanna see more of him. I watched his following the play very well, and picked up the correct man in front every time last game.

ADA's been excellent the last 5 games, paired with Staal. A lot more like the player we saw in the second half of last year before the ankle injury.

Per Uncle Larry:

DeAngelo has taken the baton passed to him in Pionk’s absence and has run with it, not only playing the most consistently constructive hockey of his brief NHL career, but combining with Marc Staal to form the team’s most solid first pair yet, though we’re not quite talking Brian Leetch-Jeff Beukeboom. Not even Marek Malik-Michal Rozsival. But still, as they say about the one-eyed man in the land of the blind …

It’s a small sample size, of course. A teeny sample size, that too. But the fact is that in 102:33 of five-on-five, the Staal-DeAngelo tandem has a 52.3 Corsi rating, a 53.3 shot share and a plus-three (8/5) rating with a 34.5 offensive-zone start percentage per Naturalstattrick.com. Meanwhile, in 534:01, the Staal-Pionk pair has a 41.0 Corsi, a 41.0 shot share and a minus-five (19/24) with a 40.06 O-zone start number.

https://nypost.com/2019/01/23/rangers-looking-at-defensive-dilemma-when-neal-pionk-returns/?utm_source=twitter_sitebuttons&utm_medium=site%20buttons&utm_campaign=site%20buttons

ADA's been excellent the last 5 games, paired with Staal. A lot more like the player we saw in the second half of last year before the ankle injury.

Per Uncle Larry:

https://nypost.com/2019/01/23/rangers-looking-at-defensive-dilemma-when-neal-pionk-returns/?utm_source=twitter_sitebuttons&utm_medium=site%20buttons&utm_campaign=site%20buttons

Yeah, he looks like a genuine NHL player, and that's in spite of playing with an anchor like Staal. If this isn't all the evidence the Rangers need to play this guy full-time, they need to just cut bait already, because what else can he do?

Also, Pionk is fucking horrible. I've been enjoying games so much more with him out. I really hope they trade him.

Yeah, he looks like a genuine NHL player, and that's in spite of playing with an anchor like Staal. If this isn't all the evidence the Rangers need to play this guy full-time, they need to just cut bait already, because what else can he do?

This. If he's back in the doghouse when Pionk returns I'll be fucking seething.

Quinn, like AV, seems to have a couple of guys he really relies on. Pionk was one for a HUGE stretch of this season. I'm pretty sure he still leads all D in average TOI. This, in spite of the shit results of that pairing with Staal. Trading Pionk takes away Quinn's ability to go back to that well.

Also, Pionk is fucking horrible. I've been enjoying games so much more with him out. I really hope they trade him.

Staal is having a good year and he had a good year last year too.

Quinn, like AV, seems to have a couple of guys he really relies on. Pionk was one for a HUGE stretch of this season. I'm pretty sure he still leads all D in average TOI. This, in spite of the shit results of that pairing with Staal. Trading Pionk takes away Quinn's ability to go back to that well.
don't you think everycoach has players they relie on,

Yeah I'm not getting the knocks against Staal. He has been a solid defender and honestly he has been earning his contract since the beginning of last season. Admittedly he was playing horribly shortly after he signed that contract, but that has not been the case for a while now.

The only reason I am not sure if a team would want to trade for him is the NMC. If he fades again it is hard contract to get out of. This has nothing to do with his current play.

Staal has been decent. It's the pairing with Pionk that makes no sense. Quinn seems to love that pairing despite all evidence pointing to them being kryptonite for each other.

I haven't checked, but I'd imagine the metrics for Staal-ADA are vastly superior even though the sample size is small.

They actually look like a functioning pairing.

Sure, but none of this makes him good. Especially not in the role of first-pairing defenseman. We see this borne out every night in the shot and goal differentials. It's relative to the rest of the Rangers' defense, which is generally horrific.

He's due a contract that could quickly become problematic relative to the player he actually is. This is the same issue we had years ago when Dubinsky and Callahan were scoring 20+ goals playing on the Rangers' top line for a bad team that had no other options. Once more appropriate top-line talent is brought in, suddenly the $4.5M you gave a third-line player is a problem. Likewise, if the Rangers pay out Pionk based on production, they might be looking at a $4M spare with multiple years to go before expiry. It's a dangerous line.

He's due a contract that could quickly become problematic relative to the player he actually is. This is the same issue we had years ago when Dubinsky and Callahan were scoring 20+ goals playing on the Rangers' top line for a bad team that had no other options. Once more appropriate top-line talent is brought in, suddenly the $4.5M you gave a third-line player is a problem. Likewise, if the Rangers pay out Pionk based on production, they might be looking at a $4M spare with multiple years to go before expiry. It's a dangerous line.

Same thing can be said about ADA. His contract is up as well. I think Pionk is a serviceable 2nd or 3rd pair guy. He doesn't mess up as much as ADA does either. ADA is out of position a lot more and coughs up the puck a lot more than Pionk.

Archived