• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Let's Talk About Tony DeAngelo

Gravesy

He's due a contract that could quickly become problematic relative to the player he actually is. This is the same issue we had years ago when Dubinsky and Callahan were scoring 20+ goals playing on the Rangers' top line for a bad team that had no other options. Once more appropriate top-line talent is brought in, suddenly the $4.5M you gave a third-line player is a problem. Likewise, if the Rangers pay out Pionk based on production, they might be looking at a $4M spare with multiple years to go before expiry. It's a dangerous line.

So bridge him. You act like all they can do is re-sign him to a big deal or trade him right now and have an odd view where you think he sucks and is going to get some big cap-prohibitive contract.

The only bad contract Cally ever signed was in Tampa and Dubinsky's contract a) only lasted one year and b) wasn't prohibitive anyways. Redden and the Drury buyout counted for like $9m on that 2011 team.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So bridge him. You act like all they can do is re-sign him to a big deal or trade him right now and have an odd view where you think he sucks and is going to get some big cap-prohibitive contract.

The only bad contract Cally ever signed was in Tampa and Dubinsky's contract a) only lasted one year and b) wasn't prohibitive anyways. Redden and the Drury buyout counted for like $9m on that 2011 team.

I mean, I would. I have no interest in giving him a long-term deal of any kind. But I also don't really want him at all. I don't see him as a roster regular on any contending Rangers team.

Same thing can be said about ADA. His contract is up as well. I think Pionk is a serviceable 2nd or 3rd pair guy. He doesn't mess up as much as ADA does either. ADA is out of position a lot more and coughs up the puck a lot more than Pionk.

I don’t think that’s true.

They’re both one dimensional, but imo ADA’s dimension is better and the upside far more interesting.

There’s nothing wrong with Pionk as a 3rd pair type though.

I was real high on Pionk the first 20 games but he has soured that thinking the last 20. Everyone knows young defenseman take a little longer to develope into a true NHL - good to go- player. I'm not saying he doesn't deserve the criticism, but he's only played a half a season in the NHL. Pionk has obvious skills but makes many (rookie) mistakes. This is a development year so why would we not give him some slack. Sign him to a Vesey/show us contract. And who's going to be the new chew toy if they trade him? My vote is Vesey- really don't like his game.

Sent from my [device_name] using http://Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

If we learned anything at all from the Skjei deal, it's BRIDGE THESE FUCKING PLAYERS.

If they out perform their contract in two years, great! You can either sign them or trade them.

Also, can we talk about how many "puck-moving defensemen" we have? What happened to just playing defense? There's no reason to have Pionk, ADA, Skjei, and Shattenkirk on the same team. They all do the same thing with varying degrees of ineptitude. Since were stuck with Skjei, this season should essentially be a showcase to see what other guy is gonna stay, if any.

Skjei should be a modern day SAH defender, first and foremost. His ability to skate and move up is what could set him apart. The fact he’s getting compared to ADA and Pionk shows how far he’s failed at honing his best abilities.

ADA is a terrible defender who loses his positioning all the time. It's a lot more apparent when you see them play live.

If they can get anything for him I would move ASAP.

The only defenseman worth keeping right now for the long haul is Skjei and that's based on what he might become not on his play last year or this year. Even though lately he's been better.

ADA is a terrible defender who loses his positioning all the time. It's a lot more apparent when you see them play live.

If they can get anything for him I would move ASAP.

You spelled "Neal Pionk" wrong.

ADA has his warts, I totally agree. But he's been fine - good in a few instances - whilst Pionk has been out. I'm not loving the idea of Pionk just moonwalking back into the lineup with ADA straight back to the doghouse for no apparent reason other than him being some kind of teachers pet.

That's my main problem. I don't think ADA is some kind of franchise d-man just waiting to arrive on the scene, but I think he is probably the guy we have with the best offensive upside. That, and if they're going to get something for him they would be smart to actually play him.

Pionk also loses his positioning all the time. Funny/pathetic how Rangers dmen lack such basic fundamentals.

Dude, you're right on this one!!! Seeing him live.....shit! He's all over the place....and in the wrong place most times!

Both those guys are young but they need a LOT of work if they're gonna stay here!

A LOT!!!

Any weak side play involving Pionk, or with Pionk on the ice; he loses his man pretty much every time. He also shifts backwards crooked on odd man rushes. In other words he slides back too close to his teammate opposite him and the far winger has pretty much a perfect set up for a one timer from the slot.

He did it again last night, but Hank bailed him out this time.

I just don't think D' Angelo has anything defensive wise. Offensively he's better than some, but nothing that's going to off set his defensive play woes.

Pionk may be worth a flier but he's gonna be a major Project back there!

Pionk and ADA are both atrocious defensively. Pionk is slightly less atrocious defensively, but I think ADA is more gifted offensively. I'm not sure either are fits long term, but if the Rangers insist on one or the other I'd roll the dice on ADA. I see more natural talent there, and he has an edge to his game. But his defensive game is a serious liability and he needs to improve dramatically there. He also needs to control his temper a little better sometimes.

Pionk and ADA are both atrocious defensively. Pionk is slightly less atrocious defensively, but I think ADA is more gifted offensively. I'm not sure either are fits long term, but if the Rangers insist on one or the other I'd roll the dice on ADA. I see more natural talent there, and he has an edge to his game. But his defensive game is a serious liability and he needs to improve dramatically there. He also needs to control his temper a little better sometimes.

They are very similar.

While I think ADA is slightly better defensively, Pionk is more consistent in his own zone. So I guess, maybe slightly more reliable?

With the puck, I like ADAs patience - but this doesnt seem to fit Quinn's style, or preference. Pionk gets the puck and goes. Guys that "slow down" and look for a pass have been sat throughout the season, including Shattenkirk, ADA, Namestnikov, Andersson, Buchnevich, Hayes was benched when he slowed the game. Quinn prefers the guys that are always moving straight - McLeod, Howden, now Nieves is doing it. Hayes is doing it more, Namestnikov as well. Even Chytil moved up the lineup when he stopped relying on possession and worried more about skating North-South. It might be nitpicking, but if this is what Quinn is basing decisions on, it doesnt make sense to keep ADA

https://nypost.com/2019/02/01/what-benching-tony-deangelo-proves-about-david-quinn/

But something occurred early in the second period of Tuesday’s 1-0 defeat to the Flyers that prompted the first-year coach to sit DeAngelo for a long stretch before going back to No. 77 for his regular shifts during the third. Again, it was not a bad read, an inexplicable giveaway, an undisciplined penalty or anything that would have been noticeable by reviewing the video. It was something else, something behavioral that crossed a line.

“It was a maturity issue,” Quinn told The Post. “He and I have talked about it and are working on it. He’s too good to let maturity issues get in the way of him becoming the kind of player that he can be.

“It’s something he’s got to work on and it’s something we’ve got to help him with.”

Over their six games intact, Staal-DeAngelo recorded a 58.0 Corsi share, a 57.5 shot share and a plus-two rating in 78:49 of five-on-five play. In the six games prior to that, Staal-Pionk came in at a 41.0 Corsi, a 41.1 shot share and a minus-four in 74:43, per Naturalstattrick.com.

What’s more, prior to Thursday’s reasonably sturdy work, the Staal-Pionk pair had the worst Corsi rating — 41.2 — in the NHL of any tandem that had played at least 500 minutes, per Corsica.Hockey. Yet, Quinn reunited No.’s 18 and 44 because there was a lesson to be taught No. 77. And by the way, that did not stop the Rangers from dominating at five-on-five in this one.

lol

Archived