• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

[RS] (#21) Rangers vs Dallas Stars // Not Goin' Down Like Jamie Benn

Phil

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The PDO chart is fine. They are pretty middle of the pack. In games you win, your PDO is going to be higher, that's...kind of how it works.

Right now the Rangers' season PDO is 1.005, tied with Minnesota for 13th...this is actually low based on some of their other metrics.

High Danger Chances For % (so Corsi that isn't a wrister from the blueline) is 53.42, 7th in the league.

High Danger Shooting % is 14.84%, 25th. SH% overall is only 7.76%.

Their PDO is a product of the fact that, despite giving up lots of shots, they don't give up good shots. Corsi is exaggerated, in general, but the difference between last year and this year is that the Rangers aren't nearly as poor at giving up the high danger chances, especially on second and third opportunities. Good teams are going to finish the year with a PDO of around 101, and it's because they play exactly like the Rangers are right now. They don't have the horses that some of the other top teams do, but the PDO trend isn't unsustainable - it's a product of the system that Quinn is building.

how were people able to understand or yet even watch a hockey game before advanced statistics?
Without the chart it's easy to see Hank won the last 2 games for them. Thoroughly outplayed for long stretches at key times where Hank was difference.

Without the chart it's easy to see Hank won the last 2 games for them. Thoroughly outplayed for long stretches at key times where Hank was difference.

Didn't watch the Dallas game, so Im not saying anything against this, but Rangers outshot Dallas 19-10 over the last two periods. So they cant have been that outplayed?

The Florida game was bad tho.

Didn't watch the Dallas game, so Im not saying anything against this, but Rangers outshot Dallas 19-10 over the last two periods. So they cant have been that outplayed?

They were the far better team against Dallas other than the first period. But even then, they got hemmed in a bit, but Dallas didn't really rack up many good chances, especially at 5v5.

They could have been down 2-3 goals in the first without Hank. Then they picked it up. But Dallas had some solid chances throughout the game.

They were the far better team against Dallas other than the first period. But even then, they got hemmed in a bit, but Dallas didn't really rack up many good chances, especially at 5v5.

I was at the game last night and Dallas was the better team in the first. The Rangers game out stronger in the 2nd and I thought from the Vesey goal on the Rangers were the better team. Dallas had good chances near the end of the 3rd and with the goalie pulled.

...couple of things I noticed:

We seemed to have blocked a LOT of shots, and we were pretty good on Faceoffs...well, much better than at the start of the season anyway. Seems like lately we've been at or around 50% in most games, but we seem to be winning a lot of them in our own end.

Also I agree, Hank has been very good of late;

But this Chytil kid??? Holy shit!! I loved that goal he scored, using the defenseman as a screen and snapping that fucker home!! Damn!! That's a "jump outta your seat" special right there! If Howden would've put that one in the open side on that rebound in the 2nd, I think I would've peed my pants!

They could have been down 2-3 goals in the first without Hank. Then they picked it up. But Dallas had some solid chances throughout the game.

Bishop made a few really good saves too, Howden in particular. You can do this with every game, but at the end of the day, it's not like Hank was the sole reason they won.

theres been a lot to like so far. Loving Quinn right now. talked about the practice the other day where they just worked on dee responsibility. the pressers are epic as well.

Howden looking like a steal... kid plays like he's been in the league 3 years.

really looking forward to seeing the second half of the year when the level ups.

I'm having trouble understanding why nobody's giving credit to the Rangers defensive game. That was, in my opinion, the best defensive game they played in forever. 17 SA, but Hank won the game for them? Hank did his job and the team made his job easier. Dallas coach says the Rangers had a "superior work ethic after the 1st". Their gap control was excellent and Dallas had zero time and space. Quinns like Buttermaker without the beer. Like Gravesy said, I don't think their play is sustainable but it's sure as hell great to watch the Rangers play as a TEAM. Hayes and Fast didn't have great games. There were hardly any mistakes that have plagued this team for years. Another crumpled beer can hits the tv at AVs house.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

I haven't had a chance to watch much of the last two games. What I did get to watch (parts of the 1st period of the Florida game and parts of the Dallas game) it struck me that this team moves very quickly through the neutral zone. These young guys are fearless and can fly. Yeah, they'll regress at some point but this team seems very fast to me. I like what I'm seeing!

If it wasn't for Hank, they're down 3 coming out of the first. You think they recover? I don't.

It's not just shot totals. It's when they come, time of the game, the score when a big save happens. It's why we watch games.

If it wasn't for Bishop, the game is 1-0 NYR right before Seguin's goal.

Down 3 is a ridiculous exaggeration of the first period last night, because Dallas' wasn't getting a bunch of chances in tight, and only had 7 shots total.

This is the 5v5 first period shot chart: http://hockeyviz.com/live/2018020309/shots?period=1&strength=Unchanged&by=Unchanged&submit=

This is the PP first period shot chart: http://hockeyviz.com/live/2018020309/shots?period=Unchanged&strength=PP&by=Any&submit=

There are 2 SOG from inside the dots.

Is this a serious question? I post a single rolling PDO chart in like a calendar year and you think I'm incapable of understanding the game without it? :rofl:

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Yup serious question. It’s not enough to watch the game as a fan and see at least the obvious from every game. It’s not enough to see basically every poster here including myself predict bottom 5 team no less the professionals who cover the league doing the same.

The team sits in second place has won 8 of its last 10 games and are without a doubt overachieving. The game and your record is judged by actually winning the game not by some horseshit stat that should be used to provide a better understanding of why, not be the the point itself.

Also what your advanced stats don’t mention that this teams franchise player is their goalie. His presence and paycheck (cap hit) assumes that he is going to offset some of those fancy stats deficiencies.

My post is not directed at you and never was. The constant hammering over the head of charts and stats has gone way to far. These stats are almost used in some pompous ass way to talk down to people. In the end those stats predict the eventual Stanley cup winner as accurately as a blind man. Yet when the blind man is wrong it’s because he’s blind but when the stat nerd is wrong it’s an aberration or a fluke.

So the question was are they overachieving?

I could give a fuck about rows, pdos, zone start %, Corsi, and anything else. What is their record and their standing. It’s a hell of a lot better than anyone hoped for at this point. 1/4 of a season down and this teams season is not over it actually sits in a spot to be a fun season. Why are we looking at graphs and charts? Enjoy it, this unexpected start is probably not going to lSt all year.

If it wasn't for Bishop, the game is 1-0 NYR right before Seguin's goal.

Down 3 is a ridiculous exaggeration of the first period last night, because Dallas' wasn't getting a bunch of chances in tight, and only had 7 shots total.

This is the 5v5 first period shot chart: http://hockeyviz.com/live/2018020309/shots?period=1&strength=Unchanged&by=Unchanged&submit=

This is the PP first period shot chart: http://hockeyviz.com/live/2018020309/shots?period=Unchanged&strength=PP&by=Any&submit=

There are 2 SOG from inside the dots.

Did you watch? No ya didn't. So don't manage from a spreadsheet. Bai.

Yup serious question. It?s not enough to watch the game as a fan and see at least the obvious from every game. It?s not enough to see basically every poster here including myself predict bottom 5 team no less the professionals who cover the league doing the same.

The team sits in second place has won 8 of its last 10 games and are without a doubt overachieving. The game and your record is judged by actually winning the game not by some horseshit stat that should be used to provide a better understanding of why, not be the the point itself.

Also what your advanced stats don?t mention that this teams franchise player is their goalie. His presence and paycheck (cap hit) assumes that he is going to offset some of those fancy stats deficiencies.

My post is not directed at you and never was. The constant hammering over the head of charts and stats has gone way to far. These stats are almost used in some pompous ass way to talk down to people. In the end those stats predict the eventual Stanley cup winner as accurately as a blind man. Yet when the blind man is wrong it?s because he?s blind but when the stat nerd is wrong it?s an aberration or a fluke.

So the question was are they overachieving?

I could give a fuck about rows, pdos, zone start %, Corsi, and anything else. What is their record and their standing. It?s a hell of a lot better than anyone hoped for at this point. 1/4 of a season down and this teams season is not over it actually sits in a spot to be a fun season. Why are we looking at graphs and charts? Enjoy it, this unexpected start is probably not going to lSt all year.

This makes zero sense.

Archived