• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers Announce 2018 Training Camp Roster

Phil

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Ronning cant win a puck battle to save his life. Easy cut.

They said the same about his father and St. Louis, Zuc, Marchessault, etc. There is more room for small skilled players in today's NHL. They usually take longer too. Definitely easy "cut". He's just a kid from Juniors! Like all good prospects he is moving up to compete at the next level and continue to develop his game in the AHL.

Like the slow cooker analogy. Was saying the same thing about Ronning and Day months ago and was sorta eviscerated by one or two here. Yet, this is really the natural progression for most kids coming from Juniors who haven't played enough hockey against men to justify some massively accelerated development jump.

As a sidenote, some fans misunderstand that sending Ronning to Hartford for the start of Camp does not mean that he is not a stronger prospect than Gropp or others still at Ranger camp.

Not sure how cutting a player as preseason starts is good for such a players psyche. Kid was talking all summer about how he wanted a chance to prove what he's got to the staff........ Instant cut.

At least give the kid a look or a chance to hang with the club and it's pros... Gropp, Schneider (whom I liked last pre season as well as Carey) Mcleod, get to stay and play but this scoring machine from Jr's gets no looks.

I thought we were going to see a different process. Not the usual already planned out outlook.

I hope he takes it well and it pushes him to prove that he's got something to offer.

I think Halverson is hurt. Was wondering if Quinn would like to see what his former player had. Guess he's just not playing and is healing.

I'm assuming Ronning was told what to work on during prospect camp during June. He looked horrible at Traverse city, like a kid that was only there because someone knew his dad. The few clips of him at training camp were embarrassing, him struggling along the boards or quickly getting pushed off the puck during drills.

Howden & Hajek are more than likely AHL bound.

Holland or McLeod probably end up as 13th forward.

Kreider, Zibanejad, Buchnevich, Vesey, Hayes, Namestnikov, Spooner, Chytil, Zuccarello, Lettieri, Andersson & Fast are going to be the 12 forwards in my opinion.

Defense is more complicated. I think the 6 dmen will be DeAngelo, Smith, Shattenkirk, Skjei, McQuaid & Staal.

Can't see them having Pionk as the 7th dman so I'll say Claesson gets it.

Guess we will find out in the next few days.

I think Pionk will make the team. Staal as the 7th d-man. Smith moves over to play the left side with Skjei and maybe McQuaid. Pionk, DeAngelo, and Shat on the right. Now that I'm typing this, I guess that means they would probably lose Claesson for nothing though...Can Pionk still be sent down without waivers?

I think Pionk will make the team. Staal as the 7th d-man. Smith moves over to play the left side with Skjei and maybe McQuaid. Pionk, DeAngelo, and Shat on the right. Now that I'm typing this, I guess that means they would probably lose Claesson for nothing though...Can Pionk still be sent down without waivers?

Yes. For complete list of waiver eligibility, check out capfriendly. Green down arrow means waiver exempt

https://www.capfriendly.com/teams/rangers

There's no way Staal becomes the 7th D.

Forwards:

Buchnevish, Chytil, Fast, Hayes, Howden, Kreider, Letteiri, McLeod, Namestnikov, Spooner, Vesey, Zibanejad, Zuccarello

Defense:

Cleasson, DeAngelo, McQuaid, Pionk, Shattenkirk, Skjei, Smith, Staal

Goalies:

Lundqvist, Geogiev

Injured:

Beleskey, Crawley, Nieves

Archived