• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers Re-Sign D Brady Skjei to 6-Year/$31.5M Extension; $5.25M AAV

Phil

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply
How is this a bad approach? GM locks up our best (young vet) defender for his entire prime. Done at 30. There are no other Dmen to lock up. This is the way you build a team. Draft well, draft often, develop and lockup your best young vets.

I didn't say it was necessarily a bad approach. It might work. It just isn't the best approach to me for a rebuilding team where spots should be earned. I do not think Skjei has quite earned a guaranteed long term spot like this contract gives him. Being the "best defender" on an utterly terrible defensive team does not mean much by the way. Staal was also better than Skjei last year.

It certainly does not seem like the right approach when rebuilding, where everything should be earned, and tthat creates a healthy competitive environment. Instead this feels like gambling, even if it is a somewhat educated gamble.
I don't think that you reach a rebuild moment, where you have clear vision on all players and then rank them against each other. More likely you find blocks that you decide you want to build with one by one. Gorton is apparently pretty sure that Skjei is one of those blocks.

Sent from my [device_name] using http://Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

I didn't say it was necessarily a bad approach. It might work. It just isn't the best approach to me for a rebuilding team where spots should be earned. I do not think Skjei has quite earned a guaranteed long term spot like this contract gives him. Being the "best defender" on an utterly terrible defensive team does not mean much by the way. Staal was also better than Skjei last year.

Just seems there are enough spots to earn. Zib, Kreids, and Skjei can lead and be among the stable pieces. Zuc, Staal and Hank will do their part leading for as long as they are here.

Think of it this way: The Rangers just bought Skjei first and best 3 years of UFA for dirt cheap. Plus we forego the declining years.

Just seems there are enough spots to earn. Zib, Kreids, and Skjei can lead and be among the stable pieces. Zuc, Staal and Hank will do their part leading for as long as they are here.

Think of it this way: The Rangers just bought Skjei first and best 3 years of UFA for dirt cheap. Plus we forego the declining years.

I get it. I am not against it per say. It's moreso just a preference for a conservative approach. I find this road riskier is all, but it can certainly pay off. I guess we will find out.

24 and a real good player with top line potential and there's anyone complaining about a guy who hasn't taken a beating yet, has his best upside and is locked into his best years at 2018 prices.

Great decisions this off season.

Looking at Skjeis splits, he was a +/- -3 through the first 50 games. Then went -24 in the last 30. I can't remember who he was partnered with for this drastic change. The loss of McD had a pretty large impact. I was impressed with how Skjei seemed to concentrate on his defense at the start of the season thru to Dec. He seemed to be frustrated with himself for not getting the point totals he hoped for and started carrying the puck deep and letting his defensive game suffer. Then the trades screwed everyone up. I do think Skjei is smart and talented enough to bring his play to the next level under Quinn.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Looking at Skjeis splits, he was a +/- -3 through the first 50 games. Then went -24 in the last 30. I can't remember who he was partnered with for this drastic change. The loss of McD had a pretty large impact. I was impressed with how Skjei seemed to concentrate on his defense at the start of the season thru to Dec. He seemed to be frustrated with himself for not getting the point totals he hoped for and started carrying the puck deep and letting his defensive game suffer. Then the trades screwed everyone up. I do think Skjei is smart and talented enough to bring his play to the next level under Quinn.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

McDonagh was hurt, then traded. Skjei was getting important minutes.

And Skjei is not a point producer. He shouldn’t be counted on for points. His rookie stats were far and beyond what he’s done at any level. It was a fluke thing.

Lot of years and a lot of money for someone so unproven.

Hope he keeps working to get better because that contract plus how mediocre this team currently is could be a recipe for him to coast.

All players are "unproven." Especially young ones. That's why you invest.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

We made too much money on a player that has been in the league for three years. Look at Marc Stall, De facto captain, first d-line,has been in the league for five years (at the end of his deal) and is paid $500,000 more than a three-year player in Brady Skjei? SMH!! Gorton is not our money wisely, mainly on this deal. I have never liked him as GM.

Sent from my [device_name] using http://Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Comparables to Brady Skjei:

Kjell Samuelsson

Joe Watson

Leo Reise

Rasmus Ristolainen

Rob Blake

Patrick Traverse

Randy Carlyle

Leo Reise

Steve Durbano

Jeff Sharples

https://www.hockey-reference.com/players/s/skjeibr01.html

So from Rob Blake and Rasmus Ristolainen to a lot of forgettable players - wide possible range. Six years is an awful long time to commit, I'd be much more comfortable in the three to four year range.

Comparables would probably put him more in the 4.5 million range

https://thehockeywriters.com/new-york-rangers-skjei-contract/

Wouldn?t Staal be another example. Stepan. Etc.

How was Stepan a bad contract? He was a number 1 center and in the top 3 in scoring in this team every year putting up 55 points a year, plus was the teams top PKer. Stepan was far from the problem on this team. And he still out scored everyone on this team last year.

How was Stepan a bad contract? He was our number 1 center and in the top 3 in scoring in this team every year putting up 55 points a year, plus was the teams top PKer. Stepan was far from the problem on this team. And he still out scored everyone on this team last year.

FTFY.

We made too much money on a player that has been in the league for three years. Look at Marc Stall, De facto captain, first d-line,has been in the league for five years (at the end of his deal) and is paid $500,000 more than a three-year player in Brady Skjei? SMH!! Gorton is not our money wisely, mainly on this deal. I have never liked him as GM.

That was 8 years or so ago? Add another million due to difference of time

That was 8 years or so ago? Add another million due to difference of time

People don't understand this unfortunately.

We should really start to talk about %'s of the cap when players signs new deals, not the numbers. This deal is actually cheaper than the bargain deal we signed with McD, so if Skjei can establish himself as a top pair player this deal is a steal in the future. If he ends up a top 4 player it will still be a really good deal.

Just below Slavin, so this is pretty much spot on.

It's a value deal if he's a second pair guy, and if he turns into a true number one, it's a bargain. Almost no risk with this contract.

That's how I look at it too. I posted earlier in the thread (and this is all assumption, but it seems pretty fair to assume) that this past season was the floor. We've seen what he's capable of and I fully expect him to put last season behind him and move forward.

Just below Slavin, so this is pretty much spot on.

It's a value deal if he's a second pair guy, and if he turns into a true number one, it's a bargain. Almost no risk with this contract.

The risk is that his rookie year was a fluke, last year was a step back both offensively and defensively and he continues to be a marginal defender who's only real asset is his tremendous speed. IE, the Rangers locked up John Moore for 6 years at $5.25M per.

The risk is that his rookie year was a fluke, last year was a step back both offensively and defensively and he continues to be a marginal defender who's only real asset is his tremendous speed. IE, the Rangers locked up John Moore for 6 years at $5.25M per.

I guess I shouldn't say no risk, because I wouldn't have given him this contract for this reason. I soured on Skjei the last half of last season - and he lost his spot on the top pair to Marc Staal, which people forget.

But even then, I think he'll be a better player moving forward. I don't think he's a #1, but that deal for most any guy at this age who is going to play 20:00+ a night is fine.

I tend to view last season as an anomaly. A catastrophic one that almost no one came out of unscathed. Not Zuccarello, not Hayes, and certainly not Skjei. Even Lundqvist suffered. I largely choose to discount it's effect on the bigger picture, which is why I view this as a win, rather than a risky gamble. I actually view it as win-win, because even if you average out Skjei year one to Skjei year two, paying that player $5.25M per year will only be an overpayment for another year or two before inflation rights the ship.

Archived