• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers Re-Sign D Brady Skjei to 6-Year/$31.5M Extension; $5.25M AAV

Phil

For a guy playing that many minutes, including the PP, on an offense that good, 42 points isn't anything. His pp/60 (1.34) was the same as Ryan Ellis, 28th, and considerably worse than Brady Skjei (1.68), 10th. He only had 1 more even-strength assist (22) than Nick Holden (21).

Mac makes a good first pass, that's all he's done offensively since the playoff run in 2014. I don't buy that a shoulder injury made him stop skating. If his shooting % dropped considerably, then maybe there's something chronic, but it didn't, he just stopped shooting, because he stopped making plays with his legs.

40+ points is considered a good offensive year for a defenseman.

Ever think he stopped shooting because he knew his shot had nothing on it? That's what happened to Jagr after his shoulder injury. Gaborik, too. Shot totals dipped. They lost confidence.

You'll have to explain to me how making plays with your legs has anything to do with shooting.

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply
40+ points is considered a good offensive year for a defenseman.

Ever think he stopped shooting because he knew his shot had nothing on it? That's what happened to Jagr after his shoulder injury. Gaborik, too. Shot totals dipped. They lost confidence.

You'll have to explain to me how making plays with your legs has anything to do with shooting.

Jagr never stopped shooting, neither did Gaborik until he lost his legs. Mac has never depended on his shot having anything on it. It's not like he's been just ripping bombs his entire career - he skates into the high slot or in tight to score, anything from the point just finds its way through traffic.

Your legs give you space to shoot. If you can't skate, you can't get open, especially if you don't have instincts. That's pretty fundamental in every sport - hockey, basketball, lacrosse, soccer. That's how Mac has scored.

Jagr never stopped shooting, neither did Gaborik until he lost his legs. Mac has never depended on his shot having anything on it. It's not like he's been just ripping bombs his entire career - he skates into the high slot or in tight to score, anything from the point just finds its way through traffic.

Your legs give you space to shoot. If you can't skate, you can't get open, especially if you don't have instincts. That's pretty fundamental in every sport - hockey, basketball, lacrosse, soccer. That's how Mac has scored.

Jagr never stopped shooting? 368...injury...324...249 (Can't find shot attempt info so used shots on goal)

Gaby never stopped? 6.2 attempts per game the year before he was injured, 5.2 the year he got hurt. He came back from it, tho.

If your upper body is hindered, you can't skate as well. That's pretty fundamental.

• 2 months later...
Its been one month out of 5 years. New coach, new system, new team and he's averaging over 23 minutes pr game. He's still just 24 years aswell. Give him some time.

I'm all for giving them time right now Zuuc baby!! Even though I did get quite a laugh watching that first Chicago goal. I kept thinking "bowling pins" :rofl:

LMAO

Really? you too? we are not overworking the contract enough on the current threads?

hey, I have an idea! Let's start a thread about all the ins and outs of Brady's contract, since it is so critical in building a good team going forward. It should prevent us from drafting and developing well. Making trades, coaching and making good pasta on Sundays.

If you are going to drop us nothing of substance but a nah,na na na na, be funny.

He's still a kid though Giac. Add in the fact that he's never played under a real defensive system as a pro. He played for AV!!! ...need I say more? LOL

I'm all for giving these guys time. I'd rather spend the next 2 seasons (AKA: the last year's of Hank's contract, finding out what and who these guys are as players. I'm all for letting them mature and seek their level. Right now it's absolutely impossible to guage what and who they are. They're young, there's a new coach, a new system and most of these guys have probably never evn spoke to one another before training camp this past summer.

I say fuck it...let them gel, and let them grow up before we cut them loose and term them "busts".

Right now it's more of a comedy show to me. That's the way I have to look at it. I can't set my expectations even remotely close to being a contender. It's going to be a WHILE! ...a long while, and I'm hoping management realizes that before they start shipping guys away for basically nothing. I'll just laugh at this shit show every night and when we're back on top we can look back and say "remember that time when...(fill in the blank)"

I can totally see the Rangers giving up on a young guy and he then goes to another team and turns into a superstar....I just hope they stay the course and do this thing the right way.

Really? you too? we are not overworking the contract enough on the current threads?

hey, I have an idea! Let's start a thread about all the ins and outs of Brady's contract, since it is so critical in building a good team going forward. It should prevent us from drafting and developing well. Making trades, coaching and making good pasta on Sundays.

If you are going to drop us nothing of substance but a nah,na na na na, be funny.

You'll have to excuse him, that's about all he's willing to contribute these days, in any thread. Throw him on ignore. It works. :)

He's still a kid though Giac. Add in the fact that he's never played under a real defensive system as a pro. He played for AV!!! ...need I say more? LOL

I'm all for giving these guys time. I'd rather spend the next 2 seasons (AKA: the last year's of Hank's contract, finding out what and who these guys are as players. I'm all for letting them mature and seek their level. Right now it's absolutely impossible to guage what and who they are. They're young, there's a new coach, a new system and most of these guys have probably never evn spoke to one another before training camp this past summer.

I say fuck it...let them gel, and let them grow up before we cut them loose and term them "busts".

Right now it's more of a comedy show to me. That's the way I have to look at it. I can't set my expectations even remotely close to being a contender. It's going to be a WHILE! ...a long while, and I'm hoping management realizes that before they start shipping guys away for basically nothing. I'll just laugh at this shit show every night and when we're back on top we can look back and say "remember that time when...(fill in the blank)"

I can totally see the Rangers giving up on a young guy and he then goes to another team and turns into a superstar....I just hope they stay the course and do this thing the right way.

Ozzy, I'm with you all the way. I figure by Feb 25 we'll have a better feel of the guys and team, by June even more. It is key to evaluate a lot of these guys this year because many are on 1 and 2 year deals. I'm hardly paying attention to Skjei.

More interested in which kids are demonstrating potential and how are they projecting after a season with Quinn. If there are any keepers out of Hayes, Vesey, Names, Spoon. Is Kreids gonna look like the guy he did after returning last year? Is Zib a #1 or a #2? How's the coaching, development and effort? Who can play D, including the forwards? That's what has my attention.

You'll have to excuse him, that's about all he's willing to contribute these days, in any thread. Throw him on ignore. It works. :)

Yeah, but Dunny has top-line potential, I'm not giving up yet. He's smart, well read, and can be funny. But his inner conflict with Trumpism is causing him some humorless angst he'd rather not face. Guessing he doesn't have any time or will to get good info anymore and he's stuck with conservative radio/pods and Fox news. So he won't engage in reason on a high level, anymore. He's reduced to reduction these days.

Sorry Dunny, I'll delete if offended, but I still have high expectations. Get back to your skeptical, witty, independent self.

He looks so fucking lost out there.

It did seem like he was trying to do too much, until last night. Lost is a good word for last night. He lost his balance thrice, looked like he lost his confidence and lost some fire last night. Maybe the Zuc pas/penalty/goal fucked with him.

Last night was the first time I thought coach should talk to him in private. Maybe some personal film work and dinner. Beat him down, then replenish him. Do something to get his confidence back and asserting himself in the D zone and the O will come. Simplify his game, check his skates.

Archived