• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

#KarlssonWatch is Over: Traded to SJS for a Grab Bag of Meh

Phil

Here's the tweet just before that...

Lightning could clear the space, for this year, by trading Coburn. Don't know why they'd get the Rangers involved instead of just sending him to Ottawa...

Coburn has a 16-team NTC. Anyone who could clear the cap space needed for EK has a NTC, and I doubt any of them would waive to go to fucking Ottawa.

JT Miller doesn't have one, so he'd be the piece that would have to go to Ottawa.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Coburn has a 16-team NTC. Anyone who could clear the cap space needed for EK has a NTC, and I doubt any of them would waive to go to fucking Ottawa.

JT Miller doesn't have one, so he'd be the piece that would have to go to Ottawa.

Duh, didn't look at the clauses. Coburn I wouldn't mind simply to flip at the deadline. Other than that the only thing that would make sense for the Rangers is Cally. Palat, Johnson, and Killorn aren't bad contracts per say and Tampa would likely be able to get a decent return for them prior to acquiring Karlsson. So, if the Rangers are indeed involved, would have to be because Tampa is loading up for next year and it's Coburn or Cally to make the room for one super loaded run. then they can worry about trading Palat, Johnson, and Killorn next summer.

Expect Erik Karlsson to be traded to the Tampa Bay Lightning.

I was told this about 9:30 a.m. Thursday morning by a friend who has an impeccable record when it comes to knowing inside information with the Senators. He said he’s “very comfortable” with the source that told him. He didn’t know any details, but thought it would be wise for me to “throw it out there.”

Other people around the league I checked with, say there could very well be something to the rumour.

Because of a previous trade, the Lightning will lose their 2019 first round pick to the New York Rangers if they win the Cup next season – and the Senators would like to get one back because the Colorado Avalanche has theirs. But Yzerman can offer 20-year old defenceman Mikhail Sergachev, who was the ninth overall pick in 2016, or 22-year old centre Brayden Point, who had 32 goals and 66 points last season, along with other enticing prospects or picks.

http://ottawasun.com/sports/hockey/nhl/ottawa-senators/is-erik-karlsson-on-his-way-to-the-tampa-bay-lightning

One of Boris Katchouk or Taylor Raddyish should be the sweetener. They won't move Cal Foote to us.

What's about late bloomer Yanni Gourde? He's due a major raise and they have to pay him too. Send him this way.

Gourde is under contract for $1m next year. They don't need to do anything with him.

I'd also want no part of that, I don't buy for one second that he's a regular 20-goal scorer in this league. If he's the return for taking on a contract, that'd be a big loss.

More rumor mill action...

Karlsson is expected to only be traded to a team if a contract extension can be worked out, while the Lightning are not expected to be one of the teams willing to eat Bobby Ryan’s contract. That contract could be exactly why the third team needs to be involved, though Tampa Bay themselves would likely need to move out contracts to fit in a Karlsson extension.

https://www.prohockeyrumors.com/2018/07/tampa-bay-ottawa-seeking-third-team-to-facilitate-erik-karlsson-trade.html

We're not going to get one of Tampa's best prospects just for assisting on the salary end of a deal. It's not going to be much of a return.

Depends on the largeness of the salary dump wouldn't you say? Sure, if it's a 1 year 3-5 million dollar dump, it might not be much. If it's a multi-year dump that costs 20+ million dollars, it would stand to reason the return would need to be substantial.

To TBL: Karlsson

To Ott: Sergachev, and a TBL 2020 pick (same condition as our 2019 TBL pick maybe?)

To NYR: Eat the contracts of Coburn and Bobby Ryan (50% retained) while getting one of Katchouck/Raddysh and a 3rd-ish pick from Ott

Any takers?

Clearly TBL going all in with this move. We could flip Coburn at the deadline and, if Ryan stays healthy and can return to a 50 point guy with a change of scenery out of Ottawa, he'd be trad-able with a $3.625M cap hit...

I'd be good with that.

I think people forget that Bobby Ryan isn't really a terrible player, he's just got an albatross of a contract. Every team in the league would like to have 40-point third liners. It's problematic if he takes a roster spot away from a young guy, but if you look at him separate from the contract, he's useful.

To Ott: Sergachev, and a TBL 2020 pick (same condition as our 2019 TBL pick maybe?)

To NYR: Eat the contracts of Coburn and Bobby Ryan (50% retained) while getting one of Katchouck/Raddysh and a 3rd-ish pick from Ott

Any takers?

Clearly TBL going all in with this move. We could flip Coburn at the deadline and, if Ryan stays healthy and can return to a 50 point guy with a change of scenery out of Ottawa, he'd be trad-able with a $3.625M cap hit...

Sergachev + a conditional 2020 pick + only half dump of Ryan doesn't sound near enough for the Senators in my opinion. Tampa makes out like bandits in this one.

Any takers?

Would also step on Flyers' rumored deal for Karlsson plus Ryan. F--- the Flyers.

Archived