• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

How Rangers Can Improve Toughness This Summer

Phil

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Most likely, but we've seen players improving their game after changing the coach. If he's allowed and encouraged to play the way he plays best atleast he may be more consistent in his performances.

I dont know, I just have a feeling Kreider will be good under Quinn.

This always gets me. so AV made sure to have Krieder tone down his aggressive play otherwise he would of been a different player the last few years. He brings aggressiveness in spurts and then disappears nearly completely that's who he is. God bless Quinn if he's got the ability to get anything else more out of him in that aspect of his game. Do I expect them all to come out flying the first few weeks sure and we can all say see AV was the problem all along and then I equally expect with very few exceptions that all revert back to what we've seen over the last few years. And I like Kreider for the record, but I do find his inconsistency to be mind numbing.

This always gets me. so AV made sure to have Krieder tone down his aggressive play otherwise he would of been a different player the last few years. He brings aggressiveness in spurts and then disappears nearly completely that's who he is. God bless Quinn if he's got the ability to get anything else more out of him in that aspect of his game. Do I expect them all to come out flying the first few weeks sure and we can all say see AV was the problem all along and then I equally expect with very few exceptions that all revert back to what we've seen over the last few years. And I like Kreider for the record, but I do find his inconsistency to be mind numbing.

It's human nature. It's hockey. Seasons have highs and lows but generally speaking the star players are able to push through while still being effective. This is why Kreider isn't a star. When he doesn't have it, he just doesn't have it.

It's human nature. It's hockey. Seasons have highs and lows but generally speaking the star players are able to push through while still being effective. This is why Kreider isn't a star. When he doesn't have it, he just doesn't have it.

So far.

And maybe you end up being right.

How about this alternative future. Kreids took the next step, during his absence from the game. He is a very bright guy who hadn't put the mental part of his game together. He also decided he was worried to much about strength and was carrying too much weight, hampering his speed and energy. Upon his return he discovered the right blend of attributes (and the ability to maximize them) to demonstrate he can be a consistent first line power forward.

If he can remain healthy, now in his prime years, he may become the leader, by example, under the new coach. He seems to be in the right frame of mind to take the next step and put it all together under Quinn. The result will be consistency and his highest point totals yet. I wouldn't be so fast to close the door on a guy who is one of the strongest, fastest and smartest NHLers. If the mental part of the game becomes easier, his physical skills and experience can really shine. This wouldn't be the first talented 27 year old to finally mature and have things click.

Better, but close. Kreider is a guaranteed first, not a conditional. My guess is first and a good prospect.

I agree, but that's not a deal I want the Rangers to take. We don't know what he'll be like under Quinn, but we know that he's a bonafide top-6 forward, which we would be lucky to get out of a late 1st + a prospect.

Let's see what he does under Quinn and where we are at the deadline. By then, his value could be tremendous for contending teams since he has a decent (4,6M) deal running for two post-seasons. Depending on his performances until then, that would truly be "selling high".

I don't think you trade Kreider. He may never be a star but that doesn't mean he's not useful.

i agree. this post and giac's. if im quinn, i'm taking a personal interest in riding chris like a pony in this years training camp. given he is ultimately playing for a contract i expect to see upside.

i agree. this post and giac's. if im quinn, i'm taking a personal interest in riding chris like a pony in this years training camp. given he is ultimately playing for a contract i expect to see upside.

To emphasize your point, Quinn wants to play fast and hard and move the puck between the dots, so he should ride him like a Thoroughbred. He and Z demonstrate good chemistry and speed together and are two third of our top line. Since many of our other forwards like Hayes, Zuc, Lias and even Buch do not use speed to attack or defend, Quinn needs Kreid and Z to create pace. The 1st line can lead by example and keep opposition on their heels. Kreids still also provides a level of toughness that is needed too.

The consistency criticism is legit (see 2017 playoffs), but he seemed to turn a corner after the blood clot. He played leaner and faster and was consistently good the remainder of the season. In a losing situation, no less, where he retained his positive attitude.

This is a determined, strong, fast, smart man who just experienced a perspective altering issue and has bounced back better than ever. With some consistency. Had he not done that, I would not be cautioning against moving him until he gets a chance to play for Quinn.

Kreider was arguably NYR's best forward since his return from injury, one of our few top-6 forwards who can give and take a hit, score, and one of the few who has leadership qualities.

Trading him would be gutting the team of the (one of the) last best thing(s) we have - in return for a few rolls of the dice.

I'll pass on that trade.

To emphasize your point, Quinn wants to play fast and hard and move the puck between the dots, so he should ride him like a Thoroughbred. He and Z demonstrate good chemistry and speed together and are two third of our top line. Since many of our other forwards like Hayes, Zuc, Lias and even Buch do not use speed to attack or defend, Quinn needs Kreid and Z to create pace. The 1st line can lead by example and keep opposition on their heels. Kreids still also provides a level of toughness that is needed too.

The consistency criticism is legit (see 2017 playoffs), but he seemed to turn a corner after the blood clot. He played leaner and faster and was consistently good the remainder of the season. In a losing situation, no less, where he retained his positive attitude.

This is a determined, strong, fast, smart man who just experienced a perspective altering issue and has bounced back better than ever. With some consistency. Had he not done that, I would not be cautioning against moving him until he gets a chance to play for Quinn.

What Giacomin said.

I'm not giving up on any of these guys until I see how they play under a new coach with a new attitude and a real SYSTEM

This- I would love to see how some of these guys perform under a different coach/system.. namely Kreider, Vesey, Hayes, Buch, and even Zucc. I would hate to see any of these guys moved at this point, unless the deal is legit. To a lesser extent Spooner and Namestnikov (sp?) as well. Thats a decent core for a rebuilding team as well even if they dont necessarily have better years next season. I dont want this team to be bare bones when the season starts.

Kreider was arguably NYR's best forward since his return from injury, one of our few top-6 forwards who can give and take a hit, score, and one of the few who has leadership qualities.

Trading him would be gutting the team of the (one of the) last best thing(s) we have - in return for a few rolls of the dice.

I'll pass on that trade.

It feels like he should be a part of the rebuild. Moving him now would be both premature and a bit of a gut punch to the team.

Keeping it basic for a minute. He is a guy who is a threat streaking down the wing (or middle), a net front presence, and a force along the boards. When you can threaten from 3 areas of the ice you have something. Add that he has size, strength and speed, all in spades. And a new coach from Boston who he is a fit to play for... and we basically have a guy in his prime who brings real value across the board.

We have tons of other assets to trade and priorities to focus on fixing.

It feels like he should be a part of the rebuild. Moving him now would be both premature and a bit of a gut punch to the team.

Keeping it basic for a minute. He is a guy who is a threat streaking down the wing (or middle), a net front presence, and a force along the boards. When you can threaten from 3 areas of the ice you have something. Add that he has size, strength and speed, all in spades. And a new coach from Boston who he is a fit to play for... and we basically have a guy in his prime who brings real value across the board.

We have tons of other assets to trade and priorities to focus on fixing.

What in the hell happened to Kreiders shot? When he was first brought in, he was a threat when ever he touched the puck. He never shoots from the slot and has been disgusting on breaks to the net. Obviously two coaches thought he was too raw at the start of his career, but it seems like he changed the way he plays, for the worse. I want back the guy that shot like crazy and ran goalies. Why would you change that aspect of a player?

What in the hell happened to Kreiders shot? When he was first brought in, he was a threat when ever he touched the puck. He never shoots from the slot and has been disgusting on breaks to the net. Obviously two coaches thought he was too raw at the start of his career, but it seems like he changed the way he plays, for the worse. I want back the guy that shot like crazy and ran goalies. Why would you change that aspect of a player?

Dude man....NO ONE shot the puck on this team LOL!!! We employed that pass first system....and without bashing the ever loving crap out of our past coach yet again, I'm really looking forward to seeing the Rangers....MY HOCKEY TEAM....actually PLAY like a hockey team again! ...Hard, tough, ass kicking hockey!!!

I've waited 4 years ....and my time's come yet again! :happy:

Dude man....NO ONE shot the puck on this team LOL!!! We employed that pass first system....and without bashing the ever loving crap out of our past coach yet again, I'm really looking forward to seeing the Rangers....MY HOCKEY TEAM....actually PLAY like a hockey team again! ...Hard, tough, ass kicking hockey!!!

:happy::happy::happy::thumbs::pbjtime:

It just doesn't make sense. Why change that in a player? Do coaches want predictable? Is playing it safe and picking the perfect opportunity, seriously a way to go about playing in the NHL? Like him or not (I don't), AV got decent results from this team. He's well liked league wide... But I just don't get the approach. Obviously I'm not the brightest, and I know Jack shit about systems, but it really seems like the team was held back and restrained by the game plan of not taking risks, not shooting instinctively, and continuously passing too much.

Anyone see this incredibly stupid trade suggestion over at Blueshirt Banter?

https://www.blueshirtbanter.com/2018/6/8/17438014/could-ryan-oreilly-make-sense-for-new-york-rangers

As a hypothetical, would an offer of Hayes, the 26th overall (from Boston), and defensive prospect Sean Day be enough for Botterill to part with his star pivot?

So let me see if I understand this correctly; having traded Derek Stepan for $.60 on the dollar less than 12 months ago, we then go mortgage the the present & future for Ryan O' Reilly(slightly better) and his 7.5 million/year contract who is statistically more or less the same player?

Brilliant!

Sounds like a great re-build plan.

They definitely need to shoot more....they have for a LONG time!

we'll see it this year I'm certain!

I'd love to see Quinn focus on the fundamentals, like he's been suggesting. Skate, Shoot, go to the net. Good things happen!

Guys became too complacent under AV, content staying to the outside, waiting, watching. No fire, no mojo, no drive.

I hope Quinn really drives home a new mindset.

I'd love to see Quinn focus on the fundamentals, like he's been suggesting. Skate, Shoot, go to the net. Good things happen!

Guys became too complacent under AV, content staying to the outside, waiting, watching. No fire, no mojo, no drive.

I hope Quinn really drives home a new mindset.

From your mouth to god's ears, Josh man!!!

Anyone see this incredibly stupid trade suggestion over at Blueshirt Banter?

https://www.blueshirtbanter.com/2018/6/8/17438014/could-ryan-oreilly-make-sense-for-new-york-rangers

So let me see if I understand this correctly; having traded Derek Stepan for $.60 on the dollar less than 12 months ago, we then go mortgage the the present & future for Ryan O' Reilly(O' Reilly is slightly better) and his 7.5 million/year contract with who is statistically more or less the same player?

Brilliant!

Sounds like a great re-build plan.

Man, what brain-dead jerk came up with that idea!?

Also, let's discuss it here: http://www.blueshirtsbrotherhood.com/showthread.php?20440-Should-the-Rangers-Pursue-Ryan-O%92Reilly

Actually, that was was the first place I went; your article even motivated me to sign-up for an account(not having had one despite reading Blueshirt Banter daily). Looks like the admin wants an account to settle for 24 hours before it lets you post.

Congratulations on writing there! It's the gold standard of Rangers coverage in my opinion.

• 3 weeks later...
3. If the intention is for the Rangers to play a harder, grittier, more straight-line game under Quinn (and it is), they are going to have to add players who fit that vision, because there sure aren’t enough on the roster. Free-agent candidates include Leo Komarov, Antoine Roussel and Tommy Wingels, none exactly of marquee caliber.

https://nypost.com/2018/06/24/which-center-should-rangers-trade-behind-the-hard-choice-looming/

:happy:

Archived