• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

2017-2018 SCF | Las Vegas Golden Knights (P1) vs Washington Capitals (M1)

Who Wins the Cup?  

18 members have voted

1. 1. Who Wins the Cup?

• Knights in 4
    • Knights in 5
    • Knights in 6
    • Knights in 7
    • Caps in 4
    • Caps in 5
    • Caps in 6
    • Caps in 7

Yep, ended in a 5 game final loss too.

So happy for Ovi! One of the greatest players of this generation and everyone knew how much a Cup would mean to him. Enjoy this Great8, Henrik's turn now.

Btw, I have a feeling Vegas will be baaaad next year.

I don’t feel bad for Hank. I get angry every year watching other goalies carry the cup. He’s made the ECF 25% of his career. Not many guys can say that. It’s a team effort, but he’s had his chances.

• Replies 250
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So happy for Ovi! One of the greatest players of this generation and everyone knew how much a Cup would mean to him. Enjoy this Great8, Henrik's turn now.

Btw, I have a feeling Vegas will be baaaad next year.

Vegas is probably only going to get better. It's going to be a top UFA destination and they'll be hungry.

I see no reason to think theyll be terrible.

So happy for Ovi! One of the greatest players of this generation and everyone knew how much a Cup would mean to him. .

Yep, and also for the Caps core that somehow managed to stay together despite all the demoralizing playoff defeats and disappointment after disappointment that the NYR and other teams put on them some many times in the playoffs — Ovi, Backstrom, Holtby, Carlson, Beagle, Orlov, Grubauer and Wilson, —*sure they re-tooled as much as anyone, but kudos to those that stuck around or were able to stick around.

Losing that Cup Finals to the Kings burns my balls worse with each passing Cup Finals.

Rangers basically kept the Caps from getting the chance, they FINALLY got it and took the final step needed to become champions.

Someone get me an ice pack.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Yep I feel your pain as does everyone else here.

Pass the ice pack!

It's a pity we won't be able to experience quite the same love fest, as the core has been decimated, but we still have a few NYRs to root for who've been with the team since, say, 2013 — Hank, Zucc, Kreider, Staal if he endures, and Fast. I would have liked to see McD and Girardi raise that cup in Rangers' blue - yet they could not help Tampa either.

Hockey can be cruel and heartbreaking ... but here in this Stanley Cup Finals ... the Hockey Gods really got it right, IMO.

Good for Ovi and the TJ Oshie's interview after the game where he discusses his dad was very emotional.

Yep, saw my wife brushing away a tear listening to Oshie. That was an emotional moment.

P.S. When St. Lou. traded him I could not believe it, WTF?! I said to myself, what a gift to Washington - I don't care who or what they got in return, that's a kind of player you don't trade, and deserve to be taken behind the woodshed if you do.

Congrats to both the Caps and Knights on a great playoffs by both teams. I was pulling for Vegas because I wanted to see an expansion team win, but I wasn't upset with the Caps wining because there are a couple of players I like on the Caps. Im glad Ovechkin finally won, IMO, he is the best player in the world, better than Crosby.

I don't see Vegas being a bad team next year. They were a tight nit group, and I think a lot of the players saw that in them, and that kind of attitude will draw the attention of some UFA's.

Well, it's my policy not to root for a team to win the Cup until year 55. This will be instructive for all those who jump to the conclusion that "the window has passed" for a team. I expected them to do better this year without the burden of being the favorite. There are many upsets in the Stanley Cup playoffs, but they never seem to happen in the final round. Rarely have I seen a better potential fit between a UFA and a team than between Tavares and Vegas...

Sorry to see that the Knights lost out on what would've been an historical event in NHL circles. Even so it was an entertaining series and for me, won't have to listen to the constant din about #8 and how wonderful he is. Where would the Caps have ended if not for Holtby, Kusnetsov, Wilson, Oshie and others? On to the draft and more speculation from all the experts.

Vegas is probably only going to get better. It's going to be a top UFA destination and they'll be hungry.

If they go into next season with a similar roster, they’re going to fight it a little. Terrible? No, but they’re going from the most underestimated team in the league to one with a pretty big target on their back. It wouldn’t surprise me at all if they’re fighting for a playoff spot and possibly not even get in. Now if you’re telling me Tavares and other FA’s are going there, different story.

If they go into next season with a similar roster, they?re going to fight it a little. Terrible? No, but they?re going from the most underestimated team in the league to one with a pretty big target on their back. It wouldn?t surprise me at all if they?re fighting for a playoff spot and possibly not even get in. Now if you?re telling me Tavares and other FA?s are going there, different story.
They went wire to wire in first....pretty much. You can't call a team underestimated on Valentine's Day.

They went wire to wire in first....pretty much. You can't call a team underestimated on Valentine's Day.

I think the whole world was waiting for the wheels to fall off though. Look, I was on their side going into this season. I said it wouldn’t surprise me if they made the playoffs. Never thought SCF, but I thought they’d compete hard enough and play with that chip all year. I just think this past season could take a lot out of those guys after not being wanted to wanting to prove themselves. Just my .02.

I’ve never been so happy for a single player to win. I was a kid when Ray Bourque did it so I didn’t appreciate the scope. This I understand. That shot of Ovi lifting that thing will become iconic.

Agreed, for me as a 'neutral' seeing Ovechkin lift the cup was the coolest thing since Ray Bourque did it.

$54 million in cap room means they figure to be a powerhouse in the west for a while, unless they get silly with long term contracts and eff that up.

I think the whole world was waiting for the wheels to fall off though. Look, I was on their side going into this season. I said it wouldn’t surprise me if they made the playoffs. Never thought SCF, but I thought they’d compete hard enough and play with that chip all year. I just think this past season could take a lot out of those guys after not being wanted to wanting to prove themselves. Just my .02.

This. Have feeling they will miss playoffs next season. Don't see Tavares moving to Vegas, but you never know.

$54 million in cap room means they figure to be a powerhouse in the west for a while, unless they get silly with long term contracts and eff that up.

Where does $54M come from? They're at $26.5 pending a $5-7M bump in the cap ceiling. That's before they resign Karlsson, Theodore, and Colin Miller.

They also have to hope the 8 guys that just had career years don't regress to their norm next year.

Archived