• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Brendan Smith's Season is Over; Breaks Hand Fighting Vinni Lettieri in Practice

Scott

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It happens more often than you think, at every level. We don’t know exactly what happened, and it’s not fair to either guy to pass judgement unless it becomes a little clearer. Reading the paragraph in the manner in was written clearly makes it appear that it was Smith’s fault, but as usual Brooks doesn’t know either. Of course his paragraph fits his narrative, wouldn’t expect anything less from him and other media hacks with the mindset of “If I don’t like you, I will write dumb shit about you”.

That's not my experience. Like I said, of course there's a fair bit of pushing, wrestling, guys getting pissed of over late checks etc. Sometimes a few punches thrown with gloves on. But this appears to be a lot more than that. I'm racking my brains here, and can only remember a couple of occasions during my playing years where two guys who are basically top 4 d/top 6 forward type players drop their gloves and go at it in practice. And it had consequences for the guys involved.

Enforcer types, absolutely. During tryouts/training camp, sure. But two guys on the same team, in mid/late season who doesn't have it in their job description to throw punches? Nah. Not cool.

As for the other point, I don't really care whose fault it is or who started it. Smith is down there on account of being a bit of a prick, and should be spending his time proving his head is right and that he's sorted himself out. This isn't the way to do it, regardless of how punchable Vinnie's face is.

Both parties have to agree. It's not the Rangers getting out of a bad deal. It's 2 parties agreeing that this isn't working. I doubt the rangers care if he stays in the NHL or goes to Europe. He's a pylon.

Him potentially staying in the NHL is an issue that has to be accounted for, is my point. Because regardless of why, it would set a precedent for other teams to exploit regarding getting out of deals by agreeing to terminate them. This violates the spirit of guaranteed contracts; hence why the PA might not go for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Him potentially staying in the NHL is an issue that has to be accounted for, is my point. Because regardless of why, it would set a precedent for other teams to exploit regarding getting out of deals by agreeing to terminate them. This violates the spirit of guaranteed contracts; hence why the PA might not go for it.

You're missing the key point...the player has to agree. Players wanted guaranteed contracts so that a team couldn't terminate because they felt like it and leave the player with no contract. If a player agrees to terminate the contract, then it's a non-issue.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nhl/2017/11/26/kings-laich-on-unconditional-waivers-to-terminate-contract/108059286/

The Los Angeles Kings have placed forward Brooks Laich on unconditional waivers with the intent of mutually terminating his contract.

General manager Rob Blake confirmed the move Sunday. The Kings had assigned Laich to the American Hockey League's Ontario Reign on Saturday after the 34-year-old cleared regular waivers.

not the best, but the most recent example

Malte Stromwall

Robin Kovacs

Etem

Steit

There's been a few mutual terminations of contract this season. Most were 1-year deals, and less than 1m.

They can mutually terminate the contract.

I'm more curious about the cap hit... which I assume would be the same as is now (AHL - buried rules)

Again, either went overseas or retired. You guys are missing my point that the kicker here is the concept of making Smith a free agent free to sign with another NHL club. That, as I understand it, would be a violation of the spirit of the CBA. I just read through and haven't found anything precisely prohibiting this, but I cannot imagine the PA or NHL would just stand by idly allowing a club to free Smith up to sign with another NHL team.

I dont see anything claiming they can't agree to a mutual termination of a contract through unconditional waivers, and I also dont see any conditions related to an unconditionally release, in such case.

pg 80-82

Why would Smith agree to part ways? He's under-performed on every level this year but is still looking at collecting $17+ mil for the life of this contract. Would his agent ever allow him to give that deal up?

Depends on how much Smith actually wants to play. They can scratch him in Htfd. It's not like his play doesn't warrant it.

I dont see anything claiming they can't agree to a mutual termination of a contract through unconditional waivers, and I also dont see any conditions related to an unconditionally release, in such case.

pg 80-82

Right. It's not specifically mentioned. Which is why I'm referring to the spirit, not the letter, or the law. There's no precedent set to allow teams and players to terminate deals, especially of this magnitude, and ALSO allow that player to sign with another NHL club. The only ones we've seen are where those players go overseas or retire.

I'm not trying to suggest this can't be done. Just that I think there's going to be resistance to it from both the league and the PA given that allowing it could open a can of worms they're not prepared to deal with.

It's not this situation. It's the totality of it.

His level of play is totally relevant to the point of finding a way to get rid of him.

I don't know why we'd look at this one incident in a silo....

I?m speaking of this instance, and not knowing all the facts involved.

Everything else he?s done is enough to part ways with him. Fighting in practice whether it?s his fault or not shouldn?t change anyone?s mind on whether or not he should be here.

Who knows, maybe he ripped a shot on an unsuspecting goalie between drills, or ran the goalie, or maybe Smith just snapped.

non factor said shot hits nothing but the end boards so zero risk to the goalie, maybe drilled an unsuspecting Smith who's standing in the corner pouting.

Years ago, there used to be quite a few fights in practice during training camp but not during the regular season. I heard from a skilled NHL player in the 80s that teams would bring in goons to camp with no chance of making the team to pick fights with the regulars and toughen them up. I doubt that is still the case.

Definitely not the first time I've heard of fighting in practice. Nothing new at all.

This whole Smith thing is just strange. Id like to know the exact details of why he was sent down to begin with. Didn't someone suggest he got into an argument with AV about sticking up for team mates and other things?

Guy wasn't playing well, but sending a recently signed vet, to the minors for bad play is unusual. That he went unclaimed is the other dilemma. That contract isnt THAT bad. Some bottom dweller, or desperate team should have claimed him.... Wish uncle Larry would do some more homework on this whole situation.

Archived