• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Brendan Smith's Season is Over; Breaks Hand Fighting Vinni Lettieri in Practice

Scott

Of course it's not the first time. It happens.

The point is it shows poor discipline, and it's rarely encouraged. What do you think happens to cameraderie and togetherness if idiots drop their gloves and smash each other all over the shop in practice? It doesn't reflect well on a players character, and someone like Smith in particular would probably be best advised to focus on recapturing his game rather than throwing down with a guy like Lettieri.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I?m speaking of this instance, and not knowing all the facts involved.

Everything else he?s done is enough to part ways with him. Fighting in practice whether it?s his fault or not shouldn?t change anyone?s mind on whether or not he should be here.

It's icing on the cake

Remote possibility that anyone on the outside - including Brooks - knows the facts about the fight as well as the exact reason for Smith's demotion. There is, imho, much more to this whole mess than meets the eye.

A few of us have been speculating since early in the season.

I wouldnt be surprised if he got a 2-month stay at an all inclusive resort, paid for by the NHLPA...

Of course it's not the first time. It happens.

The point is it shows poor discipline, and it's rarely encouraged. What do you think happens to cameraderie and togetherness if idiots drop their gloves and smash each other all over the shop in practice? It doesn't reflect well on a players character, and someone like Smith in particular would probably be best advised to focus on recapturing his game rather than throwing down with a guy like Lettieri.

As someone said. Brian Boyle had a fight in practice as a Ranger. He was a locker room darling. Tempers flair and shit happens. I don't think its as detrimental as you do, npr do i feel its indicative of good or bad discipline.

We don't even know the full story. What if he broke his hand prior to the fight due to a slash? What if it was a scrum and they fell on his hand? Can we get the entire story before we point fingers?

He could tell them they have to buy him out and still go play in Europe someplace too, which I think sounds more likely because he is still getting his payday from us, and can afford the lower contract from one of the European leagues.

and they can say fuck you, go ride the bus and sit in the press box in Greenville

I?d love to hear more about how this started.

Was just thinking this. Could be a scenario of bad attitude or could be a case of smith trying to show he?s willing to do anything (albeit fighting in practice is probably not the right way to go either way) to prove himself.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

They can, but then they will have eat about $3M on the cap for the next 3 years, and he will still be getting paid his full salary.

Buying out this summer would only save about $2.2m against the cap, which is really irrelevant unless the plan to go big in free agency. It would be much cheaper cap wise to buy him out in 2019.

If the Rangers were to buyout Smith how much are the Rangers losing in cap space between him and Girardi per year ?

If they bought him out this summer:[table=width: 500, class: grid, align: center]

[tr]

[td]Year[/td]

[td]Girardi[/td]

[td]Smith[/td]

[td]Total[/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td]2018-2019[/td]

[td]$3,611,111[/td]

[td]$1,091,667[/td]

[td]$4,702,778[/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td]2019-2020[/td]

[td]$3,611,111[/td]

[td]$1,091,667[/td]

[td]$4,702,778[/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td]2020-2021[/td]

[td]$1,111,111[/td]

[td]$3,266,667[/td]

[td]$4,377,778[/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td]2021-2022[/td]

[td]$1,111,111[/td]

[td]$1,266,667[/td]

[td]$2,377,778[/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td]2022-2023[/td]

[td]$1,111,111[/td]

[td]$1,266,667[/td]

[td]$2,377,778[/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td]2023-2024[/td]

[td][/td]

[td]$1,266,667[/td]

[td]$1,266,667[/td]

[/tr]

[/table]

If they bought him next summer (2019):[table=width: 500, class: grid, align: center]

[tr]

[td]Year[/td]

[td]Girardi[/td]

[td]Smith[/td]

[td]Total[/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td]2018-2019[/td]

[td]$3,611,111[/td]

[td]$3,325,000 (Buried)[/td]

[td]$6,936,111[/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td]2019-2020[/td]

[td]$3,611,111[/td]

[td] $970,833[/td]

[td]$4,581,944[/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td]2020-2021[/td]

[td]$1,111,111[/td]

[td]$3,145,833[/td]

[td]$4,256,944[/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td]2021-2022[/td]

[td]$1,111,111[/td]

[td]$1,145,833[/td]

[td]$2,356,944[/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td]2022-2023[/td]

[td]$1,111,111[/td]

[td]$1,145,833[/td]

[td]$2,356,944[/td]

[/tr]

[/table]

His salary next year is $4.25m. Sure I'd ride the bus in Greenville for that, but we're talking about a guy that's already collected $15.65m in his career. I'm sure he wants no part of being sent down even further.

Whats the difference? He is collecting far more money than he will ever again, and his NHL career is pretty much done, so its the ECHL or Europe. He is newly married, who knows if his wife is going to want him in Europe.

Whats the difference? He is collecting far more money than he will ever again, and his NHL career is pretty much done, so its the ECHL or Europe. He is newly married, who knows if his wife is going to want him in Europe.

Will she care if he is getting paid $4M for it?

So a 29 year old guy that's been a professional hockey player for 8 years is going to choose the ECHL over Europe because his new wife says so? How many former NHLer's play in the ECHL vs Europe?

He's already a multimillionaire. He can go play in Switzerland for a few 100k per year, with far less travel.

Archived