• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Looking Ahead: Seven Quick Thoughts

Giacomin

5th - 10th pick maybe if everything fits, but it’s a huge stretch. I think you’d be able to get better deals for those players if you’re of a mind to move them.

Absolutely no chance of anyone giving up 3rd or 4th this year imo. Certainly not for what we can offer.

Think Chirelli has much time left if they shit the bed again? Can't you see him drafting for need? And they need D and a winger who could play with McDavid and Leon. Zuc could be that wing. What if their scouts love Bouchard/Hughes/Dobson among others. They move just a few picks back and still get their defender, Zuc and maybe the Devil's #2. We get Tkachuk. Maybe they see little difference between him and a couple of Dmen.

Buff is also ready to compete and would welcome proven players to push along their youth.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
22 isn't going anywhere, he has a nmc and clearly wanted to be here and signed a long term. I think the only thing Lettieri has going for him is he plays hard and that's it. He to me is maybe a hair better than the plugs on D that really have no business other than filling a role on a tanking (shit) team. DeAngelo is the vest of the bunch but that's more of an indication of just how big the dumpster fire is back there with the AHL'ers that have been brought up.

Think Chirelli has much time left if they shit the bed again? Can't you see him drafting for need? And they need D and a winger who could play with McDavid and Leon. Zuc could be that wing. What if their scouts love Bouchard/Hughes/Dobson among others. They move just a few picks back and still get their defender, Zuc and maybe the Devil's #2. We get Tkachuk. Maybe they see little difference between him and a couple of Dmen.

Buff is also ready to compete and would welcome proven players to push along their youth.

No I don’t tbh, the top 4 in this draft are simply too good. Giving up one of those 4 would be incredibly short sighted.

I hope I’m wrong because we’re the Rangers and we’re not drawing a top 4 pick in a month of sundays.

Bingo Pete!!

They should bring up all the heaping stacks of shit they have in Hartford....Give them all their BIG CHANCE! Lets just see how Deep we are down there!!! LOL

You know, you are funny like me.....but not that wrong. Makes no sense to bring up Lettieri, he actually might score a few. McCloud is doing his job policing and NOT scoring. (Ahemm)

No I don’t tbh, the top 4 in this draft are simply too good. Giving up one of those 4 would be incredibly short sighted.

I hope I’m wrong because we’re the Rangers and we’re not drawing a top 4 pick in a month of sundays.

And even though that is true, that we represent the Rangers......we are "long overdue" for a little bit of good fortune. All it takes is getting "lucky" just once (see the Devil's with Hirschier) and our time table could become quite sooner. With a little luck, a little more tank and a deft trade and we could easily have 2 of the top 10 picks. I may be wrong but, maybe just maybe some good fortune is coming our way and we get that next Hirschier or the likes. I don't want to wait around for 4-5 years, need this to be 2 max (and so does Hank) for us to be reckoned with, once again.

22 isn't going anywhere, he has a nmc and clearly wanted to be here and signed a long term. I think the only thing Lettieri has going for him is he plays hard and that's it. He to me is maybe a hair better than the plugs on D that really have no business other than filling a role on a tanking (shit) team. DeAngelo is the vest of the bunch but that's more of an indication of just how big the dumpster fire is back there with the AHL'ers that have been brought up.

After this season Shattenkirk has a modified 10 team no move clause, meaning he names 10 teams he can block a trade to. That is not difficult to navigate. In addition, Shatty did not sign up for a total rebuild and might not have any problem going to a decent destination where he can be a valuable PPQB.

Lettieri also has a good hockey IQ, pretty strong on his skates with a quick first step and can shoot. He has done nothing to standout, but his game is not mistake filled either. He could become a good 4th liner and should get another chance to show improvement next camp. He and Nieves should not be counted out yet, nor should they be counted on [to even be a good 4th liner]. They both need to take the next step and show more improvement, next preseason.

D'Angelo has issues defensively, but he is still young and inexperienced. He has a serious NHL skill set though, that should be evident if you watch him closely. His game is not sound, but things like positioning or seeing the ice better can be coached up and improved with experience and a steady solid partner. He does not have issues like skating backwards with speed (ala Del Zotto) or other limitations such as slow footed, meh coordination and reflexes, weak core, etc. Many good dmen played poorly in their own zone in their first 100 NHL games. Chara is an extreme example, but look at Sergachev. He makes a mistake every game and he is going to be a monster.

Thanks for the reality check, appreciate your opinion and pessimism. The chance of the chips falling as suggested, followed by a swap of picks that gets us the last of the 3 forwards, is certainly a longshot.

Agree, no one is trading the #1 pick, not to us. Additionally, if you look at the bottom 10-12 teams, likely only two would entertain moving back from 4/5. That is the only opening. Given all our picks and other assets, we are in the best position to make a move. Gorton was just saying that with 2 picks at last year's draft, there was a lot of activity at his table, unlike years prior.

So, put yourself into the head of Chirelli or Buff's owner. If you are familiar with either, they are 'unique individuals' in unusual circumstances with different priorities than you, Jeff Gorton and most other GM/owners. Both teams have enjoyed plenty of high picks and need to make the playoffs next year. Chirelli is being lambasted for trading wingers who put up points and could play with McDavid . Buff needs to get Eichel more NHL ready supporting players and start winning, they already have Mittelstadt and other prospects in the wings. Could easily see either team really liking one of the top Dmen (the need is there) that will still be available a few picks later, but not past the top 10.

The pessimist in me says forget about it, no such luck. But you have to make your own luck and we have the ammo. Mgmt needs to be creative and opportunistic. And our scouting needs to be spot-on, these next few years.

And even though that is true, that we represent the Rangers......we are "long overdue" for a little bit of good fortune. All it takes is getting "lucky" just once (see the Devil's with Hirschier) and our time table could become quite sooner. With a little luck, a little more tank and a deft trade and we could easily have 2 of the top 10 picks. I may be wrong but, maybe just maybe some good fortune is coming our way and we get that next Hirschier or the likes. I don't want to wait around for 4-5 years, need this to be 2 max (and so does Hank) for us to be reckoned with, once again.

Hank understands that if he wants to win he has to be traded. Rangers fans have to understand this as well. It's time to stop thinking about things in terms of Hank's career.

As much as the rangers current d is a dumpster fire it’s not much worse than it has been all year. For about 20m less they are just as incompetent. Shattenkirk should be happy because if he was still playing with expectations then he would quickly become the next redden. Plain and simple he’s horrid

As much as the rangers current d is a dumpster fire it’s not much worse than it has been all year. For about 20m less they are just as incompetent. Shattenkirk should be happy because if he was still playing with expectations then he would quickly become the next redden. Plain and simple he’s horrid

Shattenkirk was very good at the beginning of the year. I'd say give him a chance to recover from injury and play for a coach that allows him to do what he does best which is skate the puck.

After this season Shattenkirk has a modified 10 team no move clause, meaning he names 10 teams he can block a trade to. That is not difficult to navigate. In addition, Shatty did not sign up for a total rebuild and might not have any problem going to a decent destination where he can be a valuable PPQB.

Lettieri also has a good hockey IQ, pretty strong on his skates with a quick first step and can shoot. He has done nothing to standout, but his game is not mistake filled either. He could become a good 4th liner and should get another chance to show improvement next camp. He and Nieves should not be counted out yet, nor should they be counted on [to even be a good 4th liner]. They both need to take the next step and show more improvement, next preseason.

D'Angelo has issues defensively, but he is still young and inexperienced. He has a serious NHL skill set though, that should be evident if you watch him closely. His game is not sound, but things like positioning or seeing the ice better can be coached up and improved with experience and a steady solid partner. He does not have issues like skating backwards with speed (ala Del Zotto) or other limitations such as slow footed, meh coordination and reflexes, weak core, etc. Many good dmen played poorly in their own zone in their first 100 NHL games. Chara is an extreme example, but look at Sergachev. He makes a mistake every game and he is going to be a monster.

Thanks - I find little to nothing to be excited about in any of these updates. Yay if Letteri is yet another fourth liner. I still see no way 22 leaves after coming to his favorite team. DeAngelo is an undersized guy who plays with an edge that another team wouldn't even take notice of.

But hell hopefully all these guys that have been entirely underwhelming somehow step in shit and become anything but bottom feeder NHL'ers. We knew what we were getting with 22 and he still somehow managed to disappoint. We can blame that one on injury.

Thanks - I find little to nothing to be excited about in any of these updates. Yay if Letteri is yet another fourth liner. I still see no way 22 leaves after coming to his favorite team. DeAngelo is an undersized guy who plays with an edge that another team wouldn't even take notice of.

But hell hopefully all these guys that have been entirely underwhelming somehow step in shit and become anything but bottom feeder NHL'ers. We knew what we were getting with 22 and he still somehow managed to disappoint. We can blame that one on injury.

Ha, well none of that post is exciting, except that Shatty can be traded to 20 teams starting this off season. Good chance he stays, but a full rebuild creates a mitigating factor to the favorite team issue. And be happy we have some flexibility. If he racks up some points in the first half and we suck, he'll be good trade bait and fine leaving a mess. ;)

Don't expect much excitement for a while, unless we get lucky in the lottery. I'm pretty psyched for the draft and checking out the top 40 prospects. As the thread said, look ahead.

Things to be excited about:

The draft. Obviously.

Our approach to free agency this summer. There are a couple of great potential additions available. Depends if we’re trying to accelerate the rebuild or are happy to go with a young team next season.

Training camp/pre season. I expect guys like Lias, Chytil, Hajek, Rykov, Howden and quite possibly one or two draft picks to be given their chance to stake a claim. I’m definitely excited about that.

Envision a scenario with the 7th or 8th pick. Say Edmonton and Buff (teams that are not as enamored as us about the draft) have picks 4 and 5. We swap.

Here is a chance for Edm to get back an offensive winger they desperately need and still draft a top Dman. One of those teams may be high on Hughes, Bouchard or Dobson or whoever. We have the ammo to move up or around, with picks positioned throughout the first 3 rounds.

There are other possibilities. We add Shatty and swap our say 23rd pick + Devil's 2nd, Zuc/Spponer and Shatty for that 5th pick. Keeping our pick, giving us two in the top 8.

Or we upgrade/swap another pick of ours because scouting loves someone at 16. Offensive wingers have value to teams lacking talent. Or to teams that got surprised and just missed the playoffs or knocked out in the first round because they were lacking somewhere.

Who is going to play on this team next year? I feel your poise about the draft and the rebuild, but I feel you are a bit too enamored with the whole idea.

The Rangers will need to ice a team next season. There will have to be some veterans and some contracts on the team.

I don't see the Rangers trying to add more first rounders, nor do i think whats left to trade would be any teams top priority to trade for. Especially not a top 10 pick. I just think they are done looking to add more draft picks. Prospects maybe, but i don't think it would be wise to sell assets and go all in on one single draft.

I think both Spooner and Zuc stay. Simply because they have nobody else to plug in on the top 6. Maybe Chytil.

The D is in shambles. Shattenkirk stays because they desperately need NHL caliber players and his contract is actually pretty good.

The Rangers will not ice an AHL roster next season.

Things to be excited about:

The draft. Obviously.

Our approach to free agency this summer. There are a couple of great potential additions available. Depends if we’re trying to accelerate the rebuild or are happy to go with a young team next season.

Training camp/pre season. I expect guys like Lias, Chytil, Hajek, Rykov, Howden and quite possibly one or two draft picks to be given their chance to stake a claim. I’m definitely excited about that.

Rykov has another year on his KHL contract. I don't think he will be in the mix for anything here next year.

Who is going to play on this team next year? I feel your poise about the draft and the rebuild, but I feel you are a bit too enamored with the whole idea.

The Rangers will need to ice a team next season. There will have to be some veterans and some contracts on the team.

Agreed, we'll see what mgmt does regarding NHL ready players. We won't get rid of every vet. Yet a couple may/should not be part of the team in a year or two. Staal, maybe one of Zuc/Spooner and Shatty because we are overloaded with D'Angelo and other shitty younger and cheaper dmen to play the third pair.

BTW, I suggested trading Zuc or Spoon to upgrade our pick for a guy like Tkachuk, who we can add to the lineup. A package for a top prospect or a dman like Dermott or Fabbro would be worth it too.

I don't see the Rangers trying to add more first rounders

Agree. We may be more likely to move around. Maybe trade one of the later firsts for an NHL ready prospect or player we like from a team that falls in love with a draft prospect. What about Ottawa wanting picks, to purge salary and get rid of Ryan. Why not trade Tampa's picks (or everything we got from Boston) and pick up Ryan's contract for Mark Stone. There's our first line winger! Ryan works great for a 4th line of Lias and Fast.

nor do i think whats left to trade would be any teams top priority to trade for. Especially not a top 10 pick. I just think they are done looking to add more draft picks. Prospects maybe, but i don't think it would be wise to sell assets and go all in on one single draft.

Well, I was talking about upgrading our pick into the top 5. Or another pick into the top 10-12. Zuc and Spoon have enough value that I'd only trade one for specific targets, and not at a discount. They are good hockey players and getting hot now. Shatty is a diff story, he is a defensive liability coming off an injury, making more than Zuc. So I'd move him, but wouldn't expect a similar return.

The D is in shambles. Shattenkirk stays because they desperately need NHL caliber players and his contract is actually pretty good.

The Rangers will not ice an AHL roster next season.

Definitely a shambles and sure he probably stays, with the rest. But if there is a trade, they are still the likely candidates.

As for free agency, none of the forwards really work for me. Nash or Grabs are the most attractive, if the contract is friendly. I'd offer Jon Moore (27) a contract or take a chance on de Haan (26) recovering. The only other decent Dman under 30 is Carlson who will cost a fortune.

Both Chytil and Lias could be here by xmas, one probably right out of camp, if not both. Only Hajek (of the new prospects) has a chance out of camp, but he will be best served starting in Hartford.

Idk, feel if the Rangers are packaging their first rounder with Zuc, they are not getting back equal value. I'd only do so for Dahlin, and I don't see anyone accepting that package.

Im not entirely sure DeAngelo makes the roster next season. Im thinking he is dealt in a small reclamation project type of trade, where they get a struggling young forward, or even a salary dump of a semi underachieving vet. Maybe Bobby Ryan, or Lucic with some salary retention if possible, along with a pick or prospect.

I see no reason to make room for DeAngelo or anyone else except for the dude they got for Graves. Maybe Day? Is anyone going to be ready to play next season? In not thinking so.

If the Rangers aren't going for Tavares, then theres no need to dump salary on guys like Staal or Shattenkirk. I don't think anyone will be beating down the Rangers door looking to deal for them.

Free agent forwards are interesting to me. JVR, Hornqvist, Nash, Grabner, Antoine Roussel and of course Kovalchuk.. All are incredibly interesting options. Two of which will likely want to come here at a discount.

I definitely go for deHaan, Jack Johnson could be a fit. There are a ton of RFA D-men that maybe match up for a trade... And im not even thinking about the top ones. I'm talking Paul LaDue and Ryan Murphy types. Temp/ fill in, scrap heap guys.

Or maybe you do go for a big name and float out an offer sheet to a Trouba, Dumba, Theodore, Morrisey or Murray. A bunch of these teams are going to be pressed for the cap. Over paying money wise for Trouba could be worth it. I don't feel like looking up what the draft pick compensation would be, but it may be worth it.

If one of Chytil or Andersson aren't here to start the season, I will be concerned. The way the organization is hyping these kids, it sounds like they should be able to make the team. We'll see. And besides them... Theres nothing that screams ready at this moment.

Idk, feel if the Rangers are packaging their first rounder with Zuc, they are not getting back equal value. I'd only do so for Dahlin, and I don't see anyone accepting that package.

If value is not there, we don't do it. However, potential trading partners are teams:

1) in a win now mode

2) pressed up against the cap with RFAs or

3) wanting to add/move pick(s)

We need to be opportunistic and a little creative and land some actual NHL players once the off season begins in earnest.

Im not entirely sure DeAngelo makes the roster next season. Im thinking he is dealt in a small reclamation project type of trade, where they get a struggling young forward, or even a salary dump of a semi underachieving vet. Maybe Bobby Ryan, or Lucic with some salary retention if possible, along with a pick or prospect.

D'Angelo is getting better, you are giving up on him way early. Look at his skills, he manages the puck well, makes precise passes, skates strong with and w/o the puck. He's 21, quick and strong for his size. Who else plays RD next year? OK, you have Shatty (a defensive liability who isn't getting better) cause we can't get value in return. D'Angelo and Hajek are our best D prospects. Pionk is a distant runnerup and pretty questionable. Hajek should start the year in Hartford. Rykov will be playing for SKA. Bigras is a lottery ticket, Day is not here next year, Dunny says never.

Lucic is selfish, slow and sucks. League minimum 4th liner. I want no part of any salary dump or any consistently underachieving vet, let alone both. We have Staal, Hank and Shatty to provide those things.

Only reason to take Ryan is because it could be the only way to acquire Mark Stone (+10, PPG on the worst team in the league) at a reasonable cost. Otherwise, fuck Ryan. Stone (25) will command a huge contract which Melnyck will be loathe to pay. He can dump both contracts on us and we can give him the Boston package of picks and prospects or the Tampa picks.

Free agent forwards are interesting to me. JVR, Hornqvist, Nash, Grabner, Antoine Roussel and of course Kovalchuk.. All are incredibly interesting options. Two of which will likely want to come here at a discount. I definitely go for deHaan, Jack Johnson could be a fit.

* JVR is great in front of the net, but will be 29 and probably gets 6 X 6. No

* Hornqvist will be 32 in Jan and sure to get over 5 mil for too many years. No.

* Roussel I like as a 4th liner, but would rather Grabner for 3 years at the slightly higher price.

* Nash for 3 years would be nice, if he doesn't win the cup. Boston already loves him though.

* Can we do Kovy for 1 year? More scares me. Year to year gentleman's agreement. Prefer Nash or Grabs.

* We bargain shop and get de Haan, who recovers 100% and doesn't miss a beat.

* Been watching Jon Moore and he continues to play well, facing opponents top lines. He can skate the puck with authority and passes well. He'll generate interest and cost more than de Haan, but his value to $ could be reasonable. We have a spot for him om the 2nd pair. Wouldn't be surprised if the Devils try to keep him and the Isles the same with de Haan.

There are a ton of RFA D-men that maybe match up for a trade...

Or maybe you do go for a big name and float out an offer sheet to a Trouba, Dumba, Theodore, Morrisey or Murray. A bunch of these teams are going to be pressed for the cap. Over paying money wise for Trouba could be worth it. I don't feel like looking up what the draft pick compensation would be, but it may be worth it.

That's exactly the type of thinking mgmt needs. :thumbs: Not so much the offer sheet, cause the comp would be huge, but the Jets will be up against it. They have ridiculous upcoming contracts to Laine, Connor, Morrissey, Trouba, among others. It appears they'll have to move someone, Trouba the likely candidate. Minny too. Ottawa, just cause they are cheap and sellers. Though, Stone is the only real target there.

If one of Chytil or Andersson aren't here to start the season, I will be concerned. The way the organization is hyping these kids, it sounds like they should be able to make the team. We'll see. And besides them... Theres nothing that screams ready at this moment.

Besides Chytil and Lias, I wouldn't expect any to be ready except D'Angelo. So scout his every shift the rest of this season. Pionk can be our longshot. Maybe Lettieri or Nieves can push for a 4th line spot. Hajek could make a push sometime next year. Bring him up if ready and we are competing.

If value is not there, we don't do it. However, potential trading partners are teams:

1) in a win now mode

2) pressed up against the cap with RFAs or

3) wanting to add/move pick(s)

We need to be opportunistic and a little creative and land some actual NHL players once the off season begins in earnest.

D'Angelo is getting better, you are giving up on him way early. Look at his skills, he manages the puck well, makes precise passes, skates strong with and w/o the puck. He's 21, quick and strong for his size. Who else plays RD next year? OK, you have Shatty (a defensive liability who isn't getting better) cause we can't get value in return. D'Angelo and Hajek are our best D prospects. Pionk is a distant runnerup and pretty questionable. Hajek should start the year in Hartford. Rykov will be playing for SKA. Bigras is a lottery ticket, Day is not here next year, Dunny says never.

Lucic is selfish, slow and sucks. League minimum 4th liner. I want no part of any salary dump or any consistently underachieving vet, let alone both. We have Staal, Hank and Shatty to provide those things.

Only reason to take Ryan is because it could be the only way to acquire Mark Stone (+10, PPG on the worst team in the league) at a reasonable cost. Otherwise, fuck Ryan. Stone (25) will command a huge contract which Melnyck will be loathe to pay. He can dump both contracts on us and we can give him the Boston package of picks and prospects or the Tampa picks.

* JVR is great in front of the net, but will be 29 and probably gets 6 X 6. No

* Hornqvist will be 32 in Jan and sure to get over 5 mil for too many years. No.

* Roussel I like as a 4th liner, but would rather Grabner for 3 years at the slightly higher price.

* Nash for 3 years would be nice, if he doesn't win the cup. Boston already loves him though.

* Can we do Kovy for 1 year? More scares me. Year to year gentleman's agreement. Prefer Nash or Grabs.

* We bargain shop and get de Haan, who recovers 100% and doesn't miss a beat.

* Been watching Jon Moore and he continues to play well, facing opponents top lines. He can skate the puck with authority and passes well. He'll generate interest and cost more than de Haan, but his value to $ could be reasonable. We have a spot for him om the 2nd pair. Wouldn't be surprised if the Devils try to keep him and the Isles the same with de Haan.

That's exactly the type of thinking mgmt needs. :thumbs: Not so much the offer sheet, cause the comp would be huge, but the Jets will be up against it. They have ridiculous upcoming contracts to Laine, Connor, Morrissey, Trouba, among others. It appears they'll have to move someone, Trouba the likely candidate. Minny too. Ottawa, just cause they are cheap and sellers. Though, Stone is the only real target there.

Besides Chytil and Lias, I wouldn't expect any to be ready except D'Angelo. So scout his every shift the rest of this season. Pionk can be our longshot. Maybe Lettieri or Nieves can push for a 4th line spot. Hajek could make a push sometime next year. Bring him up if ready and we are competing.

Hornqvist isn't UFA. He re-signed.

Im really not in agreement with you about Shattenkirk. You are writing the guy off really quickly. This is a guy who took less money to come here. Guy wanted to be a Ranger. Im not huge on his defensive game, but you are making him sound more awful than he actually is. Inturn you give DeAngelo major props for being a much, much, MUCH lesser version of Shattenkirk.. You also throw Lundqvist onto the fire as a "consistently underachieving vet"... ? Come on. Yes, hes overpaid. Hes certainly not underachieving.

On giving up on DeAngelo. Im not the only one. Frikken Arizona threw him into the Stepan deal, as they didn't seem to want him around. The Rangers had no use for him up until the Firesale. Lets be honest. Hes done nothing with his time to showcase his goods. Nothing. Nevermind the defensive disaster he is. If he were racking up the points, I wouldn't care. 31 games 8 assists and minus 3,085. Im no longer a believer.

Maybe a Zuc or Spooner can be a part of a package for a bigger RFA D man. But i doubt it. I think the two I mentioned are more likely type of scenario's.

I honestly don't see any of those free agents getting more than 3-4 years. Kovy you give no more than 2. I want a useful energy player. I think Roussel fits a major need. His style of play and attitude on the ice would be a breathe of fresh air.

I want no part of Jon Moore. None. I'd rather give that money back to Holden. deHaan or Holden. Then deal for a lower lever RFA and start a reclamation project. Unless Winnipeg wants a late 1st rounder and some garbage for Trouba...

I'd take Bobby Ryan on 50% salary retention at the cost of shitty DeAngelo. Lucic too. Lucic can atleast play with size and put in 20 goals. He can also play center if need be.

I don't give that Boston or Tampa package for Matt Stone....... That puts this team right back where it was. Why deal Miller if you are going to bring in a similar production player, who doesn't fit the speed game you desire?

The only UFA defenseman that really fills a need is Carlson. Can handle top defensive assignment and right handed.

Lucic isn't a center and just went about a month without recording a single point...playing with the best offensive player in the world.

Shattenkirk might not want to be here if the rest of his contract are rebuild years.

We can't continue to judge players in a silo right now. The entire team is a mess. Only Spooner looks competent. You've been trying to package D'Angleo since we traded for him, before he played a single game. If he's so terrible that Arizona threw him into the Stepan deal, and he's been terrible here for us (don't agree with either), by that logic...who'd want to take him from us?

I don't give that Boston or Tampa package for Matt Stone....... That puts this team right back where it was. Why deal Miller if you are going to bring in a similar production player, who doesn't fit the speed game you desire?

That's not true. Miller's best season was in 16/17 when he score 56 points. Stone has three seasons with over 60 points, including this year pacing a ppg on one of the worst teams in the league. Miller also got 1g, 15a in 40 playoff games, Stone has 6g, 10a in 27 playoff games.

Stone >> Miller by far.

That's not true. Miller's best season was in 16/17 when he score 56 points. Stone has three seasons with over 60 points, including this year pacing a ppg on one of the worst teams in the league. Miller also got 1g, 15a in 40 playoff games, Stone has 6g, 10a in 27 playoff games.

Stone >> Miller by far.

I don't put stock in a player leading his losing team in scoring. Hes obviously not the problem, but hes not helping them win.

Stone isnt a difference maker, is more along the lines of what I meant. Miller wasn't either IMO.

Miller is a better skater, probably more well rounded and as a person who didn't buy into Miller being physical, id say hes also more physical than Stone. Stone is a year older as well.

Definitely not ready to send a boatload of picks and prospects for Mark frikken Stone.

I don't put stock in a player leading his losing team in scoring. Hes obviously not the problem, but hes not helping them win.

Stone isnt a difference maker, is more along the lines of what I meant. Miller wasn't either IMO.

Miller is a better skater, probably more well rounded and as a person who didn't buy into Miller being physical, id say hes also more physical than Stone. Stone is a year older as well.

Definitely not ready to send a boatload of picks and prospects for Mark frikken Stone.

That was not the proposal from Giac either. Tampa's 1st + a little something (ADA/Vesey) for Stone and Ryan. That's not a boatload of picks and prospects, thats 1 pick in a draft we got three 1st and a B-/C Level prospect/Middle 6 winger. Now I dont know if that will be enough for Ottawa, probably not, but its a deal I would do with my eyes closed.

Stone was #6 in 16/17 Selke award, he has a much better career +/- (on a worse team over the years) and averages a lot more shorthanded TOI, so your argument about Miller being a more well rounded player is not true.

Stone is a legit first line winger, Miller is an inconsistent 2nd line/middle 6 winger.

Archived