• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Get Used to This Feeling; There's More Pain Coming

ClearedForContact

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I know it will never happen for obvious reasons but I wish they could do a legit behind the scenes of the Rangers scouting system and how it operates. Stuff like this has always interested me.

That'd be fun, they did it with the Giants during the season, for Odell draft. However, I'd rather read a report about the hiring of more staff centered around drafting and development. The guys job and legacy is riding on it. So is my next 5-10 years of hockey enjoyment.

I hear you long time fan. There was no need to publicly give up on the team. What purpose did that serve? I'm not so much worried about a return to something like the seven year playoff drought of 1998-2005. I'm more worried about a return to the period after the 1975 sell off. We went from 1974 to through 1991 without finishing in the top four in the regular season once. Most years we were back in the pack. A middling team for 17 years.

I hear you long time fan. There was no need to publicly give up on the team. What purpose did that serve? I'm not so much worried about a return to something like the seven year playoff drought of 1998-2005. I'm more worried about a return to the period after the 1975 sell off. We went from 1974 to through 1991 without finishing in the top four in the regular season once. Most years we were back in the pack. A middling team for 17 years.

If they came out of left field and traded Zuccarello for picks, fans would have burned down MSG

To prime the fanbase for the pain of trading away their captain, J.T. Miller, Rick Nash, and more to come. Without that letter of intent, they'd undoubtedly be facing a rash of criticism. In many ways there is no winning this battle. A declaration is seen as waiving the white flag, and without it these moves would be seen as a gut punch. The only thing Gorton can do is make right on it all by drafting really well with the returns to, hopefully, bring them back to contention quickly. The longer it takes, the worse he looks for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Yeah, it's disheartening to say the least. Hopefully these prospects will pan out or turn into bargaining chips for some young, proven players. And then there are those that debase J.T. Miller, on rumors, one of the best all-around young ( 24 ) players that did everything asked of him, only to be seemingly just thrown into the deal as an afterthought, which I'm sure in my mind that Stevie Y was/is salivating about.

And they have a legit chance to make some noise in the play-offs if...........

That they'd have no shot of had they not rebuilt. Or do Hischier, Bratt, and others have little to do with their success? They put an emphasis on drafting well, and it paid off. Now it's the Rangers' turn.

To prime the fanbase for the pain of trading away their captain, J.T. Miller, Rick Nash, and more to come. Without that letter of intent, they'd undoubtedly be facing a rash of criticism. In many ways there is no winning this battle. A declaration is seen as waiving the white flag, and without it these moves would be seen as a gut punch. The only thing Gorton can do is make right on it all by drafting really well with the returns to, hopefully, bring them back to contention quickly. The longer it takes, the worse he looks for it.

No need to prime the fan base when there is still an outside chance of making the play-offs by publicly throwing in the towel. That's my opinion and if, by chance, they do get in, then what?

That they'd have no shot of had they not rebuilt. Or do Hischier, Bratt, and others have little to do with their success? They put an emphasis on drafting well, and it paid off. Now it's the Rangers' turn.

I don't believe that in their wildest dreams that they thought they'd have this success so quickly. Great goaltending, and draft results, were a bonus that they surely couldn't have predicted, even though Hischier was a #1 pick. Shrewd trades as well, by a really good GM has brought quick results.

Hall has almost single handedly turned them around arguably the MVP. Bratt has disappeared after a great start hitting the wall (which can be expected or he was a splash in the pan) Hischier has woken up after a prolonged slump. They had a bunch of overachievers early on Gibbons, Boyle, Butcher too. Zacha is a perfect example of a really high pick that hasn't proven to be worth it. We can't afford to make that kind of mistake.

We have nothing remotely close to Hall and I don't think you win without a top tier shiny piece that carries the team on their back when they need it most.

the alternative is not to sign your goaltender for $8+ million per season. the elephant in the room is Lundqvist

This is over blown...

Rangers: $9.8M in goalies this year

Dallas: $10.8

Florida: $8.7

CBJ: $8.3

Boston: $8.2

Nashville: $7.7

Washington: $7.6

Hell, Carey Price will be 31 when his 8 year $10.5M per contract kicks in next year...

Hard to used the goalie as a scapegoat when there is a number of playoff teams within ~$1-2M of our goalie total

This is over blown...

Rangers: $9.8M in goalies this year

Dallas: $10.8

Florida: $8.7

CBJ: $8.3

Boston: $8.2

Nashville: $7.7

Washington: $7.6

Hell, Carey Price will be 31 when his 8 year $10.5M per contract kicks in next year...

Hard to used the goalie as a scapegoat when there is a number of playoff teams within ~$1-2M of our goalie total

Lundy- 8.5

Bobrovsky- 7.4

Rinne- 7

Rask- 7

Price- 6.5

Holtby- 6.1

I think the issue is we haven?t been getting our value in comparison last 3-4 years, and it?s only going to get worse

Hall has almost single handedly turned them around arguably the MVP. Bratt has disappeared after a great start hitting the wall (which can be expected or he was a splash in the pan) Hischier has woken up after a prolonged slump. They had a bunch of overachievers early on Gibbons, Boyle, Butcher too. Zacha is a perfect example of a really high pick that hasn't proven to be worth it. We can't afford to make that kind of mistake.

We have nothing remotely close to Hall and I don't think you win without a top tier shiny piece that carries the team on their back when they need it most.

Who they acquired by dealing away a former fourth overall pick. Bold move, even if he wasn't worthy of the selection, hindsight being 20/20 and all.

The rest I agree with. I've been beating the same drum about getting into the draft lottery for months now. For exactly that reason. To draft a game-changer. Without one, this is all for naught.

I don't think there's a need to buy out staal anymore. we don't need the cap space right now, and not for the next couple of years probably.

Yes there is, hopefully he is a blocker of other LHD. He is also the oposite of what we publicly stated to get younger and FASTER. There is no room for Staal on next year's roster. Another serious injury and we bury him on LTIR for good. Maybe something can be worked out in the off season and he can be traded w/ half retention and no return.

Only reason he will be here is because of the contract and we can't find a solution and are not ready to buyout. At least Hank can be part of the future. Staal fits no where in our near term except a warm slow steady bottom 6 guy. That role should go to a kid.

Who they acquired by dealing away a former fourth overall pick. Bold move, even if he wasn't worthy of the selection, hindsight being 20/20 and all.

The rest I agree with. I've been beating the same drum about getting into the draft lottery for months now. For exactly that reason. To draft a game-changer. Without one, this is all for naught.

we're all in now so hopefully they make it work. I think Edmonton got rolled in that trade and felt that way as soon as I heard it not hindsight. Larsson certainly hasn't lived up to being a forth pick either. I think the Devils missed badly on Larsson and Zacha but found a sucker in Edmonton and cashed in.

Yes there is, hopefully he is a blocker of other LHD. He is also the oposite of what we publicly stated to get younger and FASTER. There is no room for Staal on next year's roster. Another serious injury and we bury him on LTIR for good. Maybe something can be worked out in the off season and he can be traded w/ half retention and no return.

Only reason he will be here is because of the contract and we can't find a solution and are not ready to buyout. At least Hank can be part of the future. Staal fits no where in our near term except a warm slow steady bottom 6 guy. That role should go to a kid.

don't agree. these kids need a veteran around. Staal will do

don't agree. these kids need a veteran around. Staal will do

He's a slightly smaller, slightly cheaper, less healthy Dion Phaneuf who can't be physical much. Leafs did not need Dion for their rebuild, neither did Ottawa. Staal always seems so depressed and even a little scrambled in every interview compared to his earlier days. Feels tired, not an upbeat vet like Zuc.

I'd agree with you if he wasn't so slow and his body wasn't breaking down. He won't be able to keep up, we need to play right. We want no one like that. Don't take this wrong, but best thing might be to run him into the ground, he is bound to get hurt again and we can really follow Toronto's lead.

we're all in now so hopefully they make it work. I think Edmonton got rolled in that trade and felt that way as soon as I heard it not hindsight. Larsson certainly hasn't lived up to being a forth pick either. I think the Devils missed badly on Larsson and Zacha but found a sucker in Edmonton and cashed in.

Of course. It was absurd, even then. But my point stands -- the Devils took deep cuts into their roster to turn it over and were awful for a handful of seasons to draft some high-end talent. Just as the Rangers are about to do.

Yeah, it's disheartening to say the least. Hopefully these prospects will pan out or turn into bargaining chips for some young, proven players. And then there are those that debase J.T. Miller, on rumors, one of the best all-around young ( 24 ) players that did everything asked of him, only to be seemingly just thrown into the deal as an afterthought, which I'm sure in my mind that Stevie Y was/is salivating about.

So many things with this sentence. You are discrediting people here who truly do have inside information. They can't reveal their sources but they've been proven right again and again. And if you are saying that Miller was one of the best all-around young players on the Rangers, well that's the reason we are in this position to begin with. Not enough really talented players. Miller is a bit part on a good team. This team was asking him to be more and he's nowhere near consistent enough to be that. He'll be fine in Tampa. They have more than enough talent that when he chooses not to play any given night, they have 4 or 5 other guys that can step in.

Of course. It was absurd, even then. But my point stands -- the Devils took deep cuts into their roster to turn it over and were awful for a handful of seasons to draft some high-end talent. Just as the Rangers are about to do.

I agree with you Phil, what I don't quite understand is the optimism by some that don't think there's a couple really rough seasons ahead as you pointed out the Devils had. I don't think you can cut as deep as we did on an already thin roster talent wise and not expect a good amount of pain.

Archived