• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Get Used to This Feeling; There's More Pain Coming

ClearedForContact

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
For me, it depends.

If Spooner and a Hayes-type moves to make way for Tavares then this may be a quicker turnaround.

Not advocating it, but definitely possible.

We can afford Tavares now w/o any roster shuffle. He still ain't coming here, lefty needs new balls.

Though we still have to try and get Staal off the roster. If this isn't his last year here, next year will be.

I agree. I'd imagine next season is also lost, especially if they cut at it again at the draft. Be it Zuccarello, Hayes, or others, in any combination.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

THere's no reason if Lundqvist plays solid and a few breaks they could not compete for the 8th seed next year. Expecting much more than that is out of the question.

We can afford Tavares now w/o any roster shuffle. He still ain't coming here, lefty needs new balls.

Though we still have to try and get Staal off the roster. If this isn't his last year here, next year will be.

Maybe. Maybe not.

I still think we she'd Hayes and / or Spooner at the draft

Being that we have this arsenal of picks and a few very solid complementary players we can offer combined via trade, is there a possibility the Rangers are going all-in on Dahlin? The timing is right. We have an plethora of assets to offer. The kids a locked-in elite stud. I'd like to guess that Gorton is going to shake some ground and at least get try to acquire a top 3 pick with Dahlin being the #1 priority. Logic would be to overpay (whomever) for that "generational" talent in return (which at this point looks like we can). Something we've never had and have desperately needed...for decades now. Regardless of the situation, NY will always be a popular destination for players so we'll be able to fill in the gaps over the next two years - I'm confident. (Even if we initially take a hit in the pants with a trade of this magnitude)

Go balls out and get a top 3 pick (and nail it). Sell our soul for the #1. Though I can't quite confirm we have any "soul" outside of Zib's mixtape samples.

Am i just dreaming here? I don't know. Figured I'd chime in as I haven't written anything on this forum in quite a while now. :bravery: Where's the ghost emoji?

I really think who ever wins the lottery will not trade the pick because you just don’t get players of that caliber unless you draft them. Could be wrong though

When was the last time the #1 pick was moved? I can't ever remember it happening. I just hope the Rangers can weasel into the top 4 if they're not selected to pick top 4.

The Rangers are probably better served making a selection with another lottery pick than they are trying to trade for the first overall. If they end up with the third or fourth pick, for example, just draft any one of Svechnikov, Zadina, or Tkachuk. It's not worth sacrificing the assets to move to to one. Especially in a deep draft in which they can aim for late round steals with high upside like Merkley.

Can't see anyone trading the first pick. And in the extremely unlikely scenario where someone did consider it I'm not convinced we have the assets required to get it. With Dahlin on the line, what would that take?

I think we'll probably consider trading up if we end up outside the first 4 picks, but that too is going to cost this year.

Good going. One thing you touched on that I'd like to add to. The Hartford WolfPack. They have been bad for quite sometime now, obviously due to the Rangers trading away their picks. No cohesiveness between farm and the big club. Come PO time, we have never had anyone "NHL ready" to step in and do an adequate job.

With all of these incoming players and picks......at the very least Hartford will become a much better team, which leads to the Rangers becoming a better team moving forward. This had to be rectified. I agree, as much as we want to see Chytil and L.A. they probably are better served down there as bringing them up isn't conducive to "the suck".

the alternative is not to sign your goaltender for $8+ million per season. the elephant in the room is Lundqvist

Yup yup, yup yup yup! You sign a prime elite goaltender to that kind of money, then you make him "earn it". You don't expect your defenseman and the likes of Boyle and Callahan to block shot for him and hurting their bodies and careers. They should've targeted offensive players and let Hank do his thing. Poorly planned. Yes, u need a solid defense (and according to what we know) is that Torts made up his "game plan" according to his lack of talent offensively. So, wasn't that the area we should have improved on? Hank in his prime could've handled lesser dmen, but Hank cannot score goals. Now, is the time he needs good dmen, but that ship has sailed and now that Hank blew his opportunity to give the Rangers a discount when he "could have", now he reaps his greed and his buddies are gone. Management did this. Don't ya think Cally would've been less demanding had Hank been? Maybe.

Glad you mentioned it. I'd like to see Gorton turn his full attention to the draft and EVEN ADDING another scout, inside expert, analytics guy and/or respected advisor to the staff now. The workload and need to be nimble right up to draft day, could be critical. After the season they should hire current college and juniors staff as an off season contractor or consultant for inside info.

Even our 4th round pick will be early and may have value in this deep draft. We need to be able to move around if circumstances dictate. Draft the most talented, highest upside. Investigate their character. Lots of work. Great draft to do it. Modernize Jeff!

Agreed. Wouldn't the salary (a drop in the bucket) be well worth contributing to possibly choosing "the right player"? We absolutely cannot afford a blowout here. We need 4 or 5 out of these 7 picks to make it to the big club as just a little better than average players......they need to be solid, and a few need to be difference makers.

Yeah, it's disheartening to say the least. Hopefully these prospects will pan out or turn into bargaining chips for some young, proven players. And then there are those that debase J.T. Miller, on rumors, one of the best all-around young ( 24 ) players that did everything asked of him, only to be seemingly just thrown into the deal as an afterthought, which I'm sure in my mind that Stevie Y was/is salivating about.

The word was that SY didn't want to "touch" any part of his team, but that is exactly what he did do. As far as I'm concerned he took us on that part of the deal. He wanted to get "grittier" and that's what he did in getting JT. Yeah, I believe he played "low key" on targeting Miller and said how do you Namestikov? I like Names, but liked JT better as I knew him better. Bringing a good game every game will help us forget JT. Not sure if that happens though. SY "always gets his man", it seems.

I agree with you Phil, what I don't quite understand is the optimism by some that don't think there's a couple really rough seasons ahead as you pointed out the Devils had. I don't think you can cut as deep as we did on an already thin roster talent wise and not expect a good amount of pain.

Good amount of pain? Anyone here a Jets fan? A Mets fan? Pain, what pain? I eat pain! (Almost 200lbs now). This upcoming Rangers pain is a drop in the bucket! "Sting and the Police" haven't a gosh darned thing on me! (And some others)

THere's no reason if Lundqvist plays solid and a few breaks they could not compete for the 8th seed next year. Expecting much more than that is out of the question.

Honestly, as much as I want to see our team in the PO's next season, I really don't think that behooves us. Suck just one more season and getting another shot at that "prize" (Hughes, I'm hearing about or similar) and adding some more talent on top of what we already get this year is kind of like a "back-up", with a 2nd wave of youngsters coming in.

Just remember in 2 years it will "ALL BE" 2020 Hindsight. :cheers:

Being that we have this arsenal of picks and a few very solid complementary players we can offer combined via trade, is there a possibility the Rangers are going all-in on Dahlin? The timing is right. We have an plethora of assets to offer. The kids a locked-in elite stud. I'd like to guess that Gorton is going to shake some ground and at least get try to acquire a top 3 pick with Dahlin being the #1 priority. Logic would be to overpay (whomever) for that "generational" talent in return (which at this point looks like we can). Something we've never had and have desperately needed...for decades now. Regardless of the situation, NY will always be a popular destination for players so we'll be able to fill in the gaps over the next two years - I'm confident. (Even if we initially take a hit in the pants with a trade of this magnitude)

Go balls out and get a top 3 pick (and nail it). Sell our soul for the #1. Though I can't quite confirm we have any "soul" outside of Zib's mixtape samples.

Am i just dreaming here? I don't know. Figured I'd chime in as I haven't written anything on this forum in quite a while now. :bravery: Where's the ghost emoji?

I would have a tough time accepting us into "placing all our eggs" into that one basket at this point in time. If this draft wasn't so deep, then yeah you go all in and go for it. But, as deep as it is, there shouldn't be any doubts that we could easily want away with multiple exceptional players, not just 2 but hoping for at least 3 maybe 4.

So many things with this sentence. You are discrediting people here who truly do have inside information. They can't reveal their sources but they've been proven right again and again. And if you are saying that Miller was one of the best all-around young players on the Rangers, well that's the reason we are in this position to begin with. Not enough really talented players. Miller is a bit part on a good team. This team was asking him to be more and he's nowhere near consistent enough to be that. He'll be fine in Tampa. They have more than enough talent that when he chooses not to play any given night, they have 4 or 5 other guys that can step in.

Still only rumors; nothing concrete. If sources can't be named, don't quote them, imho.

Yeah, I'm sure that's a philosophy the majority of hockey fans want to see McKenzie and the rest of the gold standard insiders adopt, too, eh? This way we'll never get any news at all. Perfect!

You've got it precisely backwards. If sources can't be named, you can choose to believe the report or not.

Archived