• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Release the Kraken ? Welcome to the NHL, Seattle

Phil

I'm partial to "Yetis" or "Squatches" or something goofy. Anything is better than Blue Jackets.

Quote from SI article below https://www.si.com/nhl/2018/12/04/seattle-team-name-totems-metropolitans-evergreens-sockeyes-rainiers

"The ownership group registered trademarks for 13 potential names last winter, in alphabetical order: Seattle Cougars, Seattle Eagles, Seattle Emeralds, Seattle Evergreens, Seattle Firebirds, Seattle Kraken, Seattle Rainiers, Seattle Renegades, Seattle Sea Lions, Seattle Seals, Seattle Sockeyes, Seattle Totems and Seattle Whales.

It’s possible that the final name isn’t on that list, of course. In a poll conducted this fall, Seattle Times readers favored Sockeyes and Totems, with Metropolitans and Steelheads—two names not trademarked by the franchise—close behind. Metropolitans, the name of the Seattle team that became the first American club to win the Stanley Cup in 1917, seems unlikely, though, because the NHL already has a Metropolitan Division in the Eastern Conference."

Hard to beat Kraken, Renegades, or Steelheads imo

These are cool. I like alliteration as well.

Rainiers makes no sense considering Rainier is a singular thing and Seattle Cougars, Seattle Eagles, Seattle Emeralds, Seattle Evergreens, Seattle Firebirds, Seattle Kraken, Seattle Renegades all sound like Create-A-Team names in NHL15

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Sockeyes is easily the best. Imagine the scary looking sockeye salmon they can throw on their jersey, with over-exaggerated teeth. I'm only half-kidding too. Look at this thing:

sockeye-salmon_thumb.ngsversion.1498442416436.adapt.1900.1.jpg

Hey. Think you accidentally posted a selfie

Besides, names already taken

Seattle Sockeye is an elite-level men's ultimate frisbee team based in Seattle, Washington. They were the open champions at the 2004, 2006 and 2007 UPA Club Championships (now USA Ultimate), and the 1997 WFDF World Ultimate Club Championships.

I like alliteration.

Already had a Seals in the NHL.

Not a fan of sock puppets.

Steelheads is an ECHL team in Idaho.

Still upset they didn’t go with “Las Vegas Clubs”. Naming ain’t my thing.

They’ll go with Sea Greens or something weird, unless a weed dispensary already has that name

Well, technically Golden Seals. But they also had Jets before and went back to it. The Golden Seals are kind of revered. I say go with it.

They best play this every time they score.

Every time they score? How about every time they lose.

Pete's responses are the funniest, though honorable mention for "I hate sock puppets".

Alliteration it is. Steelhead may sound better than Sockeye, but they are much smaller. Fresh caught sockeye is more fun to catch and better to eat. Steelhead are really trout. Specifically, hybrid Rainbow Trout that are not solely freshwater, but will spend some time at sea. To add to the confusion, trout are part of the family Salomidae anyway. Call them Samonids. To resolve all this they should simply be the Seattle Salmon.

The Jets was the best reuse of a team name, glad they did it. This goes back to Bobby Hull and the bullshit they endured after the merger.

Seattle Thunder (rain is what they do best )

Promo games against Lightning

Play thunderstruck when they score

/end

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Naming the team Thunder would look pathetic and sad after the Sonics left and became the thunder. It’s like dating your ex’s fat friend in an attempt to piss her off.

Naming the team Thunder would look pathetic and said after the Sonics left and became the thunder. It’s like dating your ex’s fat friend in an attempt to piss her off.

I don't think that Seattle would want to get their hearts broken again and would show why there hasn't been an NBA team and the NHL will have a footnote there which will bring more challenges to the present teams in Northwestern Washington State, not so much on the Seahawks but more on the Mariners considering how that team is in shambles this baseball offseason

• 2 weeks later...

KEXP to handle in-arena music for Seattle’s new NHL team

https://www.seattletimes.com/sports/hockey/kexp-to-handle-in-arena-music-for-seattles-new-nhl-team/

Nirvana’s “Smells Like Teen Spirit” already seemed like a natural fit for Seattle’s new NHL team’s goal song. And with Tuesday’s announcement that radio station KEXP will handle all in-arena music for the new franchise, chances seem to have increased that the grunge anthem will blare after the new team scores a goal at renovated KeyArena in 2021.

KEXP, on the air since 1972 and a KeyArena neighbor in Seattle Center since 2016, instantly lends some local flair, culture and cool to a franchise looking to build an identity from scratch. The station will be able to promote local music — and specifically “new and emerging artists whenever and wherever possible,” per the announcement email — while providing the soundtrack to goals, penalties, in-game breaks and more.

Great choice KEXP one of the better radio stations in the US

KEXP to handle in-arena music for Seattle’s new NHL team

https://www.seattletimes.com/sports/hockey/kexp-to-handle-in-arena-music-for-seattles-new-nhl-team/

Great choice KEXP one of the better radio stations in the US

This is an element of the experience that I've completely overlooked. Great idea from management. Seems like Seattle is on track to be a really cool venue.

• 1 month later...

Archived