• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Release the Kraken ? Welcome to the NHL, Seattle

Phil

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Could move Colorado to the Pacific, and Calgary + Edmonton to Central. Colorado, Calgary, and Edmonton log a lot of miles, so maybe something can be done to reduce their travel.

https://www.ontheforecheck.com/2017/6/27/15881964/nhl-travel-miles-the-2017-18-super-schedule

That seems overcomplicated - and St. Louis, Chicago, Dallas, Minnesota - are all further away from those cities than Seattle, Vancouver, and Winnipeg, so I'm not really sure it solves the travel thing.

• 1 month later...
They control their own destiny. Completely. They have exactly two players under contract right now for the draft (Zibanejad, Skjei).

But Shattenkirk, Staal, Smith and Lundqvist are tying up 4 spots, do to NMC, M-NMC.

Obviously its early to speculate but they should be aware of the expansion draft after next season.

But Shattenkirk, Staal, Smith and Lundqvist are tying up 4 spots, do to NMC, M-NMC.

Obviously its early to speculate but they should be aware of the expansion draft after next season.

Not for 2021. They are all UFA that summer.

Vegas being exempt from this draft is crazy. They can play major spoiler to the incoming Seattle club bound for their own division by playing trading partner for players other clubs don't want to risk exposing (and losing for nothing). And they can probably even low-ball those teams.

Vegas being exempt from this draft is crazy. They can play major spoiler to the incoming Seattle club bound for their own division by playing trading partner for players other clubs don't want to risk exposing (and losing for nothing). And they can probably even low-ball those teams.

Great take. The league could have just allowed Vegas to protect 1-2 extra players, regardless of position. Ranger mgmt should be taking advantage of any opportunity that might arise due to an overload on other teams. It is the NMCs that create more issues than one might expect.

This is great. Seattle is the perfect location (finally) for an expansion. Cool city. Good fan base.

They'd be smart to have the same colors as the seahawks and go with a simple name. "Sounders" "Mariners" "Seahawks" are all very simple, yet strong. Keep it in that same vein.

Kracken is kinda whack in my opinion. I like Sockeyes best out of the names that have bene tossed out.

This is great. Seattle is the perfect location (finally) for an expansion. Cool city. Good fan base.

They'd be smart to have the same colors as the seahawks and go with a simple name. "Sounders" "Mariners" "Seahawks" are all very simple, yet strong. Keep it in that same vein.

Kracken is kinda whack in my opinion. I like Sockeyes best out of the names that have bene tossed out.

Easy. Buy the rights to the Whalers name. Can use the same colors.

Sent from my [device_name] using http://Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

I'm partial to "Yetis" or "Squatches" or something goofy. Anything is better than Blue Jackets.

Quote from SI article below https://www.si.com/nhl/2018/12/04/seattle-team-name-totems-metropolitans-evergreens-sockeyes-rainiers

"The ownership group registered trademarks for 13 potential names last winter, in alphabetical order: Seattle Cougars, Seattle Eagles, Seattle Emeralds, Seattle Evergreens, Seattle Firebirds, Seattle Kraken, Seattle Rainiers, Seattle Renegades, Seattle Sea Lions, Seattle Seals, Seattle Sockeyes, Seattle Totems and Seattle Whales.

It’s possible that the final name isn’t on that list, of course. In a poll conducted this fall, Seattle Times readers favored Sockeyes and Totems, with Metropolitans and Steelheads—two names not trademarked by the franchise—close behind. Metropolitans, the name of the Seattle team that became the first American club to win the Stanley Cup in 1917, seems unlikely, though, because the NHL already has a Metropolitan Division in the Eastern Conference."

Hard to beat Kraken, Renegades, or Steelheads imo

Rangers better start planning their contracts for the expansion draft. Hopefully they wont be screwed with losing one of these young guys.

Did any team lose good players in the expansion draft? Most were from horrible trades.

Seals, Sockeyes, Steelheads etc. are all good. I'm a sucker for alliteration, too.

Seals, Sockeyes, Steelheads etc. are all good. I'm a sucker for alliteration, too.

I like alliteration.

Already had a Seals in the NHL.

Not a fan of sock puppets.

Steelheads is an ECHL team in Idaho.

Still upset they didn’t go with “Las Vegas Clubs”. Naming ain’t my thing.

They’ll go with Sea Greens or something weird, unless a weed dispensary already has that name

Archived