• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Targeting Young Players

ThirtyONE

No, but it's not 21. The bigger issue on RNH is price. Part of the reason you'd move Miller is becuase he's going to get near $5M on his next deal. So you move him for a guy who makes $6M? Why?

I think RNH is the better player and fills a need here on this roster. I know he will be compared to Stepan, but i think hes better all around and may benefit more from a change of scenery. Ive never been big on Miller and don't like the idea of going into his next contract. Id rather pay RNH to be what he is, than give Miller upwards of 5.5 to be the constant enigma. I honestly hope he and McD get deslt more so than Nash and Grabner. I just don't want them here going forward.

Fair enough, I guess I just wasn't really considering them young guys. Didn't consider Buch but he's, realistically, still int he development phase.

I think your expectations for Vesey, Miller, Kreider and Zib are too high. Vesey was a third-round pick who is in his second season, Zib was a PPG player before the injury. Miller and Kreider maybe can be a bit more productive, but it's not like they're going to be 80-point guys.

at the end of the day I think the problems run so deep across this roster that it's going to be a long road back. Zib has been back for how long now, he seems to be a one trick pony he'll shoot from the dot, I don't think he's much of a playmaker, would love to be proven wrong on all of this.

What young players do the Rangers have that haven't hit their ceiling?

The fact that his play has gone downhill is why you could try to pry him away from ARZ, but you don't do it at a high price to minimize risk. He's the ideal low-risk, high reward candidate.

Agreed. Hes a definite target and would probably draw fan attention to a rebuilding team as the fan base adores his father. I definitely think if hrs available, the Rangers need to look into it. I can't gauge ehat the price would be. I highly doubt they move him for anything less than a lottery pick. Id do Miller plus for him. He can be a dynamic scorer if put on a good line.

at the end of the day I think the problems run so deep across this roster that it's going to be a long road back. Zib has been back for how long now, he seems to be a one trick pony he'll shoot from the dot, I don't think he's much of a playmaker, would love to be proven wrong on all of this.

I think this season, unfortunately, is kind of going to be a wash for him. The KZB line was awesome until all the injuries hit. If they played 70-something games together, who knows where they all end up or what the discussion is today.

Shooting from the dot on the PP is a good thing. Every team needs guys who can do it and, he's not the best in the world at it, but he's enough to be a threat. Over the last few games with the PP being better, it's largely been with Zib firing more than he was when he first came back.

You're right in that he hasn't really been good since he's been back, but the whole team was bad for a while and coming back from a concussion is just more difficult than I think people realize.

I think this season, unfortunately, is kind of going to be a wash for him. The KZB line was awesome until all the injuries hit. If they played 70-something games together, who knows where they all end up or what the discussion is today.

Shooting from the dot on the PP is a good thing. Every team needs guys who can do it and, he's not the best in the world at it, but he's enough to be a threat. Over the last few games with the PP being better, it's largely been with Zib firing more than he was when he first came back.

You're right in that he hasn't really been good since he's been back, but the whole team was bad for a while and coming back from a concussion is just more difficult than I think people realize.

I think even when healthy he's not a top line center and that's what they've asked him to be. In a sense setting him up to disappoint from the starting line. TIme will tell I was really excited to get him but now have more questions than answers. If he does indeed not step it up we're probably in bigger trouble than we think going into next season. Hopefully he turns it all around.

I'm a believer in Zibanejad, and I appreciate his talent but it would be a mistake to make him someone he's not. They need a C at least as effective as him (Stepan Brassard redux) or, preferably, better by the end of this rebuild or reset or whatever you want to call it.

I'm a believer in Zibanejad, and I appreciate his talent but it would be a mistake to make him someone he's not. They need a C at least as effective as him (Stepan Brassard redux) or, preferably, better by the end of this rebuild or reset or whatever you want to call it.

Yea, I think this is the end game. I don't think they envision him as a true 1c, but he can be really effective in a specific role as part of a deep c group. He's basically the same type of #1c that stepan was.

All about that top-end talent.

I dunno about that. Stepan ate big minutes against the other teams top competition. And from what I can recall with mostly dZ starts. Maybe Zibanejad gets there but he's not that player yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Same type in that he's like the 25th-best center in the league, so technically a number one. Not style of play.

You can put anyone back there, it doesn't change that most are in roles well above them due to lack of top-end talent.

Kreider -1st line complementary player

Zibanejad - not a 1st liner

Buchnevich - not a first liner

Holden - not a top pair defender

You can put anyone back there, it doesn't change that most are in roles well above them due to lack of top-end talent.

Kreider -1st line complementary player

Zibanejad - not a 1st liner

Buchnevich - not a first liner

Holden - not a top pair defender

I think Zib CAN be a 1st line talent... On the wing or with a legit 1st line winger. We've yet to get a full healthy season out of him. When he starts the season he looks like an all world talent. Then he gets hurt and looks like a shell of that player. Maybe its him adapting to the coaches style of play. It always seems to seep in for anyone who shoots at will, plays physical, or likes to carry the puck... All of which Zib is known for..

Your #1 C needs to drive the offense. He needs to be solid defensively, and he needs to be a threat every time he steps on the ice.

Why not let the dude be good what hes good at - skating and getting in scoring position.

I dont like when he plays the point on the PP, but he shoots, he gets in scoring position, and when he's thinking offense, he creeps towards the net and get great scoring opportunities

Just imagine him on the wing, "cheating" a bit, ala Kreider or Grabner to get those offensive break/aways... I think thats where he will be the most effective. (I'm not looking, but I almost remember Sens fans saying he was better on the wing - but I didnt watch Ottawa enough)

Your #1 C needs to drive the offense. He needs to be solid defensively, and he needs to be a threat every time he steps on the ice.

Why not let the dude be good what hes good at - skating and getting in scoring position.

I dont like when he plays the point on the PP, but he shoots, he gets in scoring position, and when he's thinking offense, he creeps towards the net and get great scoring opportunities

Just imagine him on the wing, "cheating" a bit, ala Kreider or Grabner to get those offensive break/aways... I think thats where he will be the most effective. (I'm not looking, but I almost remember Sens fans saying he was better on the wing - but I didnt watch Ottawa enough)

Totally agree. I think a move back to wing would let him do what he does best. Bad part about that is that hes pretty solid on draws (no stats on hand to back that, sorry/lazy). I hate using forwards on the point on the PP. Really haye it. They usually suck at keeping the puck in and delay their shot.

Some will say thats bunk because he essentially can go where ever he wants offensively, after the puck is dropped. Thats what was said by someone (i think mikey) when I suggested at the start of yhe season that Miller would be more effective back at center (that worked out well ehhh?).

Im not sure if Zib played better on wing or not. I think some here suggested early on that he never played wing. Im pretty darn sure he did.

I would like to see our young players under a new coach before writing them off.

THIS!!! RIGHT HERE!!!

I've been thinking this since....well, I can't even remember. It's like they're all poisoned with Pussification. (is that even a word?)

This is a stubborn bastard. His only adjustments he ever makes is shuffling lines.

HOW ABOUT GETTING THE PUCK DEEP IN THE OPPONENTS ZONE????

You know....Dump and chase for a little bit??? You know, switch it up every 40 games or so, if the same "pass first/carry the puck/fast break/no shots" bullshit doesn't work for 55 minutes every game????????

It's not like every NHL team has scouted your retarded, stubborn, fucking tendencies by now!

This guy is his own worst enemy...I don't want these kids poisoned by this friggin' guy. But on the other hand....

I'm glad to see he's back there the rest of the way though; GUARANTEED TANKING in progress!!!!

Zibanejad on the wing could be a better fit but they had better acquire a couple of centers who can play at a nhl level. Of course they desperately need a top center but those are the hardest to find and very hard to pry away from other teams.

Just a thought but maybe the oilers would entertain a draisitl trade. It would cost a ton. Maybe mcd, zib or miller or Kreider and 2nd or 3rd.

They would get finally a top defenseman they desperately need and either zib to play in a better suited second line center position or miller or Kreider who can ride shotgun with Mcdavid, especially Kreider. The rangers would have their number 1 center who is under 23 and could build around.

Probably way to many barriers to a trade like this but Gorton and Chiarelli have history in Boston. Get talking and this could be a starting point of a possible deal that helps both teams.

Tavares would be nice but you’d have to have him locked up and signed before you could really do much to your roster before signing day at least imo. I’m sure the rangers will make an offer to him but I’m not sure he wants to become so hated by his current fan base and become such a lightning rod being the savior here. Not sure that’s in his personality. If he does hit ufa though I’m sure the rangers will inquire but my gut says he stays put but if he moves it’s to a team who already are contending or at least are trending that way.

Zib has been playing like a sniper rather than a playmaker this season. I don't know if that means he should really be on the wing, but we obviously don't have that option and won't until we have acquired three new quality centers. He seems to be all about having others set him up for one timers these days.

Archived