• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Chris Kreider Out Indefinitely With Blood Clot

ClearedForContact

By the time CK is "ready to return", I think the team would have to really give some serious thought to whether or not to take a chance and let him finish out this season. It may be best for the kid to get everything set and make a go of it for next season instead. I think bringing him back this season is risky with that type of ailment....and god knows we only know the basic information.

I'm no doctor either, but I can't see bringing him back to this squad and risk further injury or god forbid, career ending/life ending damage.

I sure as hell wouldn't rush him back, and I'd be fine letting him stay on the sideline the rest of the year in this type instance.

He's not going to be cleared to return if he's not healthy, or it poses any sort of damage to his health.

He's out for so long due to the medication he is being put on... and once he is removed from that medication (after the condition is cleared up), theres an observation period. They'll do the necessary checks.. this isnt like coming back from a knee injury.

If he's healthy enough to return, put him back in the lineup. With a kid that age, a few weeks of playing at the end of the season will get that motivation and drive back for the summer, as opposed to sitting out, being depressed and discouraged. Any player will tell you - its an awful way to end your season

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Josh, the most important point you make is that once the condition is clear, it is the medication and observation that keeps him sidelined. Once the medication stops, not much else should stop him from rejoining the team. Particularly if they are meaningful games at the end of the season and/or playoffs. Just like Stamkos did last year.

Meaningful games is what I was aiming at. Sorry Josh...I wasn't clear in what I was trying to get at. It's going to be a tough call too! This team is a bubble type team where it could bounce either way at this point; They're not really a dominant 1st place finisher, and they're not a bottom feeder either.

I think they'll do what they always do: Trade for a miracle at the deadline, toss away assets and go for it.

I just hope they don't subject this kid to trouble down the road, because 4 years from now, this season is going to mean nothing.

He's not going to be cleared to return if he's not healthy, or it poses any sort of damage to his health.

He's out for so long due to the medication he is being put on... and once he is removed from that medication (after the condition is cleared up), theres an observation period. They'll do the necessary checks.. this isnt like coming back from a knee injury.

If he's healthy enough to return, put him back in the lineup. With a kid that age, a few weeks of playing at the end of the season will get that motivation and drive back for the summer, as opposed to sitting out, being depressed and discouraged. Any player will tell you - its an awful way to end your season

Agreed. Kreider trains hard in the off season anyway. He works out with coaches from my son's advisor agency, and they rave about his work ethic. We're going up there this summer to work out for some prep schools, I love watching those guys train. Hopefully I'll get a chance to see him up there with a few other MA guys. They don't let the prep school and midget kids skate with college and pro guys, so I'm not sure if we'll cross paths.

Agreed. Kreider trains hard in the off season anyway. He works out with coaches from my son's advisor agency, and they rave about his work ethic. We're going up there this summer to work out for some prep schools, I love watching those guys train. Hopefully I'll get a chance to see him up there with a few other MA guys. They don't let the prep school and midget kids skate with college and pro guys, so I'm not sure if we'll cross paths.

How old is your son?

We went out there and looked at a few schools when I was around 7th/8th grade. They were the first few schools we visited, I was like a deer caught in the headlights - hindered the experience a bit. You looking to send him, or just a summer program?

How old is your son?

We went out there and looked at a few schools when I was around 7th/8th grade. They were the first few schools we visited, I was like a deer caught in the headlights - hindered the experience a bit. You looking to send him, or just a summer program?

He's a late 02, just turned 15. 98% of his teammates are always a grade higher. He's a true freshman, so if I send him I won't have him repeat yet. The agency runs a bunch of skates in the offseason to let schools and coaches get a look. He was scouted last year and picked up some steam at a showase in MA this past August. Long fuckin way to go, we'll see what happens lol. So Kreider, Vesey, and a few other NHL guys (I think the Hayes brothers, but not sure) train in the same circles as scouts in his agency, so it'll be an awesome experience if he gets to be around them this spring.

Meaningful games is what I was aiming at. Sorry Josh...I wasn't clear in what I was trying to get at. It's going to be a tough call too! This team is a bubble type team where it could bounce either way at this point; They're not really a dominant 1st place finisher, and they're not a bottom feeder either.

I think they'll do what they always do: Trade for a miracle at the deadline, toss away assets and go for it.

I just hope they don't subject this kid to trouble down the road, because 4 years from now, this season is going to mean nothing.

If they stay on the bubble for the next two months, Kreider is essentially the piece they bring in at the deadline.

It's a really good sign if this team stays in a playoff spot without him.

If they stay on the bubble for the next two months, Kreider is essentially the piece they bring in at the deadline.

It's a really good sign if this team stays in a playoff spot without him.

This is true, Future. I'm just concerned for the guy, since he's going to be a big piece of this franchise, hopefully for many years to come. I wouldn't want to see him risk his career for a team, or better yet a coaching staff that won't win. Kreider has all the talent, speed and size to be a top 10 player in this league. This team in my opinion isn't a "bubble team" because we don't have the talent....

• 1 month later...
He was coughing up blood and didn't think to mention it?

That's crazy. No young guy who doesn't smoke and didn't just have a nose bleed should be coughing up blood. Yikes, what these guys play with, thats nuts

I understand these guys are tough but when you are coughing up blood ya think he'd say something

He is a college drop out.

Krieder is probably the most academically oriented of the Rangers. With a perfect 4.3 average, he won a scholarship to the most prestigious and academically rigorous prep school in the country, Andover. He learned how to speak I believe four languages in school, including Russian. He was close to finishing his degree in the off seasons as of a few years ago, and I assume he has done so. Obviously, it was poor judgment of him not to seek immediate intervention given the symptoms, but dumb he ain't.

https://www.nhl.com/news/rangers-kreider-legend-in-massachusetts-hometown/c-721639

Krieder is probably the most academically oriented of the Rangers. With a perfect 4.3 average, he won a scholarship to the most prestigious and academically rigorous prep school in the country, Andover. He learned how to speak I believe four languages in school, including Russian. He was close to finishing his degree in the off seasons as of a few years ago, and I assume he has done so. Obviously, it was poor judgment of him not to seek immediate intervention given the symptoms, but dumb he ain't.

https://www.nhl.com/news/rangers-kreider-legend-in-massachusetts-hometown/c-721639

Yea, I don't think anybody actually thinks he's dumb lol

I think he's too smart for his own good, sometimes. He'd be a better player if he was more of a caveman.

Kreider cleared to play, expected to return soon for Rangers

Forward has been out since Dec. 27 because of blood clot in right arm

cut.jpg

Forward Chris Kreider has been cleared medically and is expected to return to the New York Rangers' lineup in the next few days, coach Alain Vigneault said Wednesday. Kreider has not played since being diagnosed with a blood clot in his right arm on Dec. 27.

Vigneault said Kreider will not travel with the Rangers for their game against the Montreal Canadiens at Bell Centre on Thursday (7:30 p.m. ET; TSN2, RDS, MSG 2, NHL.TV), but could play at home against the Minnesota Wild on Friday or at home against the Detroit Red Wings on Sunday.

https://www.nhl.com/news/new-york-rangers-chris-kreider-cleared-to-play/c-296200962

Archived