• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Chris Kreider Out Indefinitely With Blood Clot

ClearedForContact

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

:tweet: @NYP_Brooksie: Similar condition as Vasilevskiy. Kreider expected to miss 6-8 weeks. Tough blow but opportunity for Lettieri.

:tweet: @NYP_Brooksie: To clarify: Unknown whether Kreider has Thoracic Outlet Syndrome, as did Vasilevskiy (and a pitcher on the Mets). Ongoing medicals.

:tweet: @NYP_Brooksie: The 6-8 time frame on Kreider is best case scenario.

With a blood clot? I've never heard of anyone coming back that quickly, though I suppose it might depend on the severity of the clot. Stamkos was out two and a half months with his. Dupuis and Vokoun lost their careers to theirs.

Recall David Cone missing about 2 months with a blood clot in his leg. And an MLB pitcher is not going to experience anywhere the contact an NHL winger would.

With first Z-bad out and now Kreider it's become REAL obvious we don't have a top line. This game vs buffalo showed that. Big game, lots of energy, and the 4th line gets double shifted.

Now i know what you're all thinking "we've never had a real TOP line" and i know, i get it. But that was kinda something that Ranger fans knew for the last 2-3 years. But every year we had something that resembled a top line. This year it was Kreider, Z, and Buch. Since that line has been broken, you see the effects first off on the PP, its been down hill since then. And now I feel it's affecting games. Other teams don't have to match up against that line, so it opens up putting their top D on whoever they want.

With first Z-bad out and now Kreider it's become REAL obvious we don't have a top line. This game vs buffalo showed that. Big game, lots of energy, and the 4th line gets double shifted.

Now i know what you're all thinking "we've never had a real TOP line" and i know, i get it. But that was kinda something that Ranger fans knew for the last 2-3 years. But every year we had something that resembled a top line. This year it was Kreider, Z, and Buch. Since that line has been broken, you see the effects first off on the PP, its been down hill since then. And now I feel it's affecting games. Other teams don't have to match up against that line, so it opens up putting their top D on whoever they want.

They'll have to match up against someone though, and this team at times seems to have 4 lines that can score.

If they decide for example to match up against Miller Hayes Grabner, that might make life easier for whatever combinations of Zibs, Buchnevich, Nash, Zucc or Fast-Carey-x

I did notice as this game wore on the Rangers had a hard time penetrating and setting up in the O-zone, but part of that I credit to Buffalo working hard on defensive responsibilities.

it will be a challenge without Kreider -- just hoping some players step up and take advantage of the extra minutes they might get. Like Miller did today in front of the net.

It is what it is, not like we have any control over it; the only plus is it maybe gives more NHL developmental time to Nieves, and a chance for Carey to show what he can do, some of which has been a pleasant surprise. But there is not much substituting for a Kreider -- he's a high-value player.

All good points. I think i'm noticing the affect most on the PP. First with Z and his right handed shot missing. And now Kreids.

i felt he Kreider took a big step forward by improving his net front this year. I think someone HAS to commit to that on the PP and maybe then i'll feel better. no one on the team can replace his speed for his size. but someone can get in front on the PP and commit to it. And i nominate Miller. He's tough, got a little edge to his game. Good hand eye. I'd plant him out there on the first unit. It doesn't seem like it comes natural to Nash anyway.

Didn't they say he was going to have the surgery like 10 days ago? Why the delay in getting it done?

Also, this is what Stamkos did. He had surgery on April 4 and played May 26. That's about 7 weeks.

Im not a dr. or anything close to that, but maybe it has to do with CK probably having to go on blood thinners.

By the time CK is "ready to return", I think the team would have to really give some serious thought to whether or not to take a chance and let him finish out this season. It may be best for the kid to get everything set and make a go of it for next season instead. I think bringing him back this season is risky with that type of ailment....and god knows we only know the basic information.

I'm no doctor either, but I can't see bringing him back to this squad and risk further injury or god forbid, career ending/life ending damage.

I sure as hell wouldn't rush him back, and I'd be fine letting him stay on the sideline the rest of the year in this type instance.

Archived