• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

What's Your Take On Wearing Another Team's Jersey?

Phil

There was an interesting conversation on the last episode of the Steve Dangle podcast, stemming from the Bieber selfie with a Pens jersey on, about what the "right" thing to do is when you are the fan of a specific team regarding other team's jerseys. Bieber, a self-described Leafs fan, has worn other team's jersey and swag for years, which in this last case lead to a huge social media backlash that he actually responded to.

All the guys on the podcast agreed it doesn't matter, and you shouldn't really be given shit for wearing jerseys that aren't your favorite team's, especially if they are players you just happen to really like. I tend to agree, but at the same time, I can completely understand the tribal reaction to seeing one of "yours" wearing the colors of a rival faction. I feel like the safe bet is to just go East/West (if your favorite team is in the East, wear West, and vice versa). Would anyone here really care if a Rangers fan wore a Subban Preds jersey, for example?

But being an out of the closet Leafs fan, I'd totally rock an AM34 jersey or shersey and not bat an eye, even though they're a Conference rival.

In a lot of ways I feel like this basically boils down to the individual player on the back of the jersey. If they're universally adored, it's probably OK. If they're even close to not, it's grounds for criticism. Whether that's fair or not, I don't know, but it's a totally tribal sport.

Anyway, I'm sure some of you will have strong opinions on this (I'm looking at you, Dave). What's your take?

in hockey, not wearing any other teams' jerseys.

In NFL, well I'm a Giants fan, but I flirt with some Packers and Saints gear. Saint's because NOrleans trips; Packers because Champion had a sample sale in the office below, and the piece was epic. Back in the early/mid 90s.

But hockey ... everyone's got a price, right? ;)

well it might take a request like, "Hey handsome, would you wear my jersey for me from, say ...

hot-hockey-fan.jpg

My son has at least 1 shersey from every team in the league except Pitt, Philly, NJ, and the Isles. Including Ranger ones, he has about 40. He wears a different one every day, but rocks a team he's pulling for in the post season. He has a Subban Preds one, so I've been seeing that a lot lately. He has an Oshie olympic jersey, and a Stars Benn jersey that my cousin in Texas bought him. When he first started collecting them I was like WTF, but I don't see a problem with it now. Maybe it's just a battle that I don't need to fight. Lol. He also has a shit load of baseball ones.

I think it's weird to wear jerseys of rivals. Like why would a Rangers fan wear a Flyers jersey? But outside of that, I don't think it's that strange. I had an Avs jersey I used to wear all the time and a Jeremy Roenick Yotes jersey that got some action.

Caveat - I think it's weird for adults to wear jerseys unless they are actually watching a game.

The Rangers are my favorite team in any sport, but I also kind of like the Ducks and Preds, and I own a couple of blank old school Ducks jerseys and I have a Coyotes jersey from their inaugural season because that was a bad ass jersey. I also have a USA hockey jersey and an old school Russian hockey jersey. I don't see any issue though in liking other teams/players, and its OK to wear as long as its not a rival team. I've gone to Duck/Islanders games wearing my Ducks jersey.

I would never wear another NHL team's jersey. If others want to, I think it's fine if it's not a rival. A Ranger fan wearing a Crosby jersey should be kicked in the taint.

I don't really wear any jerseys anymore. I don't think it would be that big of a deal to wear non-rival jerseys though. In one of my grade school pics I was all Yashin'd out wearing a turtleneck and an Ottawa Senators jersey because the first game I attended was when they played the Rangers and I liked their logo/uniform.

In soccer that is a borderline crime. If I wore, lets say, a Liverpool shirt, Im pretty sure my dad would scratch me from the family tree and disinherit me. Soccer is like a religion for me, and u dont see a jew wearing a hijab.

With hockey its not the same. I dont even own a Rangers jersey (planning on buying one before next season tho), but I must admit that Ive used my friend's Ovechkin jersey before.

You can wear a jersey,

But you can't cheer for any other team.

Ha...I'm kinda the opposite. I'm not going to wear many jerseys these days unless I'm going to a game, but I'll cheer for the Maple Leafs if I wanna!

In soccer that is a borderline crime. If I wore, lets say, a Liverpool shirt, Im pretty sure my dad would scratch me from the family tree and disinherit me. Soccer is like a religion for me, and u dont see a jew wearing a hijab.

With hockey its not the same. I dont even own a Rangers jersey (planning on buying one before next season tho), but I must admit that Ive used my friend's Ovechkin jersey before.

I got a Zuc stadium series with your name on it. Well really, Zuc's name on it, BUT YOU CATCH MY DRIFT. lol

I don't even wear a Rangers jersey anymore

#MakeBSBHGreatAgain

Same. I don't like to wear a hockey jersey unless its when I am actually playing. I prefer to wear a "shersey" myself, which I have several of.

If you're of legal drinking age wearing any jersey is a bad look

This ties into my comment above and to add to it, IMO hockey jerseys just don't really look all that flattering to wear as apparel. I'll never complain about a good looking woman with a nice rack wearing one of those womens cut/childrens size jerseys though hahaha.

Absolute no. You have 2 hockey jersey options. Your team's jersey or your country's jersey regardless of if the player is on the your team.

This is my other opinion. I am of the thought that you should not wear apparel from a team other than your own. However, there are other players from other teams that I am a fan of. I have a Jonathan Quick USA shirt from the 2014 Olympics and a Ryan Miller USA shirt from the 2010 Olympics. This is the only case where I would represent another player. In the same idea, I would never wear a Lundqvist Sweden shirt.

I would never wear another NHL team's jersey. If others want to, I think it's fine if it's not a rival. A Ranger fan wearing a Crosby jersey should be kicked in the taint.

This.

Archived