• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Computer Thread

NYRangers92

• 3 months later...

Anyone see any reason why I shouldnt get this one?

http://www.amazon.com/Lenovo-Ideapad-14-Inch-Windows-80Q30032US/dp/B014X4V1R4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1447861482&sr=8-1&keywords=lenovo+ideapad+500s

Might pull the trigger on it today. It has pretty much everything I had in mind, newest specs, and is only $30 over my initial budget (which is what i would be spending with shipping anyway, but this has free shipping from amazon)

Anyone see any reason why I shouldnt get this one?

http://www.amazon.com/Lenovo-Ideapad-14-Inch-Windows-80Q30032US/dp/B014X4V1R4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1447861482&sr=8-1&keywords=lenovo+ideapad+500s

Might pull the trigger on it today. It has pretty much everything I had in mind, newest specs, and is only $30 over my initial budget (which is what i would be spending with shipping anyway, but this has free shipping from amazon)

If you're good with the money then pull the trigger. My roommate had a Lenovo that I basically just stole from him - though it was a couple years older - and it worked fine.

I think 8GB RAM is a bit excessive, depending on what you do, but it certainly doesn't hurt to have.

8GB is pretty much the standard now. My 2010 laptop has 6GB and it struggles with some things (like opening a program that isnt chrome)

Well, it's 5 years old lol

I bought one almost exactly two years ago that's only 4GB and, even when I'm streaming games or watching Netflix/HBOGo/whatever, it never really freezes. Sometimes it slows down a bit and needs to be refreshed, but I can't think of it ever freezing. Like I said before, I think a lot of it just depends on what you actually do.

Extra ram is never a bad thing. You really don't want to skim on ram or processor, get the max out of your budget in those respects.

This. You're never going to look back and say, "that laptop was good, but it just had too much RAM I wasn't using". Or "It processed things too quickly. I never got to wait around".

There are limitations though. Your motherboard, processor, and even Windows can only support a certain amount of RAM. For instance, if you're on a 32 bit version of Windows, then you can only use 4GB of RAM.

There are definitely diminishing returns too. A normal person will not use 32GB of RAM. Hell, they'd have trouble using 16GB if you're not gaming or doing something like video editing.

There are limitations though. Your motherboard, processor, and even Windows can only support a certain amount of RAM. For instance, if you're on a 32 bit version of Windows, then you can only use 4GB of RAM.

There are definitely diminishing returns too. A normal person will not use 32GB of RAM. Hell, they'd have trouble using 16GB if you're not gaming or doing something like video editing.

They can't now. In two years time though, with 16gb's and the best processor your motherboard can handle (lol 32 bit) you've future proofed yourself to a large extent, and while it won't be the fastest rig in two years, it'll still handle tasks on the upper end of the spectrum.

This. You're never going to look back and say, "that laptop was good, but it just had too much RAM I wasn't using". Or "It processed things too quickly. I never got to wait around".

Yea but you can look back and say "I wish I saved that $200"

That's more my point. Personally, I'd rather have the extra money and 6GB than 8GB that I don't fully utilize.

Yeah figured I was just replying to your "????". Just asking if a Bluetooth mouse is better than a wireless USB one. New computer had 2 3.0 ports but can't find any 3.0 mice

Latency generally isn't an issue with Bluetooth. USB 2.0 mice are fine though. Really 3.0 just has to do with external drives and USB for quicker read/write.

I personally use this

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/11/21/2bb9b3f21f092199d5407a8e4c077dd2.jpg

Microsoft Sculpt. You can assign hot swipes to the mouse for ease of access.

I got so badly burnt to a crisp by Windows 8 that I'm gunshy about MS

Is Windows 10 another.piece of crap or is it actually something worth going to when they inevitably end support for 7?

Or should I think about ponying up bigtime at the Apple store and kiss MS goodbye?

The Lenovo 500S I just got is $500 on Amazon right now. Kinda annoyed, but Amazon gave me some money back. $500 a solid deal for the specs on a brand new model (1080p screen, 14in, 1TB HDD, 8GB RAM, Skylake Core i5, battery life about 5-6 hours). Really happy with it so far.

Edit: Well now Amazon is saying its unavailable/sold out. Sorry.

I got so badly burnt to a crisp by Windows 8 that I'm gunshy about MS

Is Windows 10 another.piece of crap or is it actually something worth going to when they inevitably end support for 7?

Or should I think about ponying up bigtime at the Apple store and kiss MS goodbye?

I've been on the Apple merrygoround for 20 odd years, I've usually loved how the OS works even since System 7. The hardware is usually very good, but some machines have been a fail. Or didn't bounce as often as I'd have liked, but survived more drops than any regular laptop (shhh!). But the upgrade cycle — while usually longer than most windows machines — eventually comes around and then once you are hooked, there is nowhere to run from the price.

• 2 weeks later...
Didn't want a Windows computer, so I ordered the ASUS C300 Chromebook and it just got delivered today. The build quality seems pretty nice for the price. Basically using it for note taking at school and internet browsing. iMac at home does all the heavy lifting with moderate to heavy Excel use when I need it for class etc.

• 2 weeks later...
I'm building an Oculus ready PC, also future proofing. I've 100% decided on a 980 ti GPU, and I found a refurbished MSI 980 ti Lightning for $599 as opposed to $699 new after mail-in rebate. This is the card I want and the price is great, anyone have experience buying used or refurbished computer parts? I found it on Amazon, the seller is Tegra Tech Store and they have good ratings and a there's a 180 day warranty which doesn't seem bad at all for refurbished, but I'd appreciate some input on refurbished graphics cards in general.

Archived