• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Clint Eastwood's 'American Sniper' Trailer Released

Phil

I started reading more about Kyle after I watched the movie and apparently he was a psycho

Is all that shit about him lying true? Jesse Ventura was awarded 1.8 million after Kyle's death for defamation. Crazy stories, and if they're true, it kinds of puts a mark on the film, no?

Is all that shit about him lying true? Jesse Ventura was awarded 1.8 million after Kyle's death for defamation. Crazy stories, and if they're true, it kinds of puts a mark on the film, no?

Yea, I mean, everything he said about what he did in the war is verified, so he is a hero. It just gets a little crazy when it comes to his life after his tours

With someone like that though he probably feels he has some legend to live up to, and feels he needs to do crazy things to keep his rep, so he ends up making a lot of shit up.

Yea, I mean, everything he said about what he did in the war is verified, so he is a hero. It just gets a little crazy when it comes to his life after his tours

With someone like that though he probably feels he has some legend to live up to, and feels he needs to do crazy things to keep his rep, so he ends up making a lot of shit up.

I understand why, but it's such off the wall shit. Why would you lie about shit that you know can be proved otherwise rather easily? I would imagine he has a decent amount of intelligence. Maybe he just went a little bat shit because of his situation.

I really think this movie is bringing out the worst in people as far as their self-gratification in regards to "supporting the troops". Particularly, the responses to Seth Rogen's comment which was:

:tweet: @SethRogen

American Sniper kind of reminds me of the movie that's showing in the third act of Inglorious Basterds.

Which is appropriate because that movie is about "a German sniper whose heroism as a sole survivor who killed over 200 soldiers" and is called "Stolz der Nation (Nation's Pride)".

It's a joke.

Then you have people like Craig Morgan come out with this shit:

Seth Rogen you don't know me nor did you know Chris Kyle (who was a Great American). I would be interested to know if you have a relationship with any American who served honorably in its military. I realize that your statement was in reference to the movie and not Chris Kyle himself, however the movie was about a portion of Chris's life so therefore it was in reference to Chris.

You are fortunate to enjoy the privilege and freedom of working in and living in the United States, and saying whatever you want (regardless of how ignorant the statement) thanks to people like Chris Kyle who serve in the United States military. Your statement is inaccurate and insensitive to Chris and his family.

I'm sick and tired of people like you running your mouth when you have no idea what it takes for this country to maintain our freedoms. If you and anyone like you don't like it, leave.

Lots of chest pounding up in this bitch.

Remember how many people here were willing to go to war for a Seth Rogen movie...?

The commentary on this movie on social media is just fuckin special.

This isn't a war movie, it's a PTSD movie.

Chris Kyle was a fuckin' skell.

But sometime you need the worst kind of wolf to keep the sheep safe.

Chris Kyle may also be a big liar.

The 160 kills are confirmed by the Pentagon. But there are absolutely no records of, or witnesses to, the latter stories. They are, perhaps intentionally, unverifiable. But it wasn’t these fantastical tales of vigilante justice that got Kyle into legal trouble. It was another, much less exciting story — one that wasn’t just unverifiable, but verifiably false. That tale, conveyed in a mere three pages of American Sniper, has put Kyle’s widow on the hook for US$1.845 million in damages. And it may soon make Kyle’s publishers wish they approached the veteran’s claims with a great deal of skepticism

http://news.nationalpost.com/2015/01/20/american-sniper-chris-kyle-was-proved-a-liar-by-jesse-ventura-and-harpercollins-may-owe-the-former-governor-millions/

I really think this movie is bringing out the worst in people as far as their self-gratification in regards to "supporting the troops". Particularly, the responses to Seth Rogen's comment which was:

:tweet: @SethRogen

American Sniper kind of reminds me of the movie that's showing in the third act of Inglorious Basterds.

Which is appropriate because that movie is about "a German sniper whose heroism as a sole survivor who killed over 200 soldiers" and is called "Stolz der Nation (Nation's Pride)".

It's a joke.

Then you have people like Craig Morgan come out with this shit:

Lots of chest pounding up in this bitch.

I don't agree with what Rogan said but you would think that Military people would be able to let some stuff roll off their backs. They're among the easiest to offend groups

Fascinating article. I remember only skimming the surface of this and not paying much attention to it at the time. But for Ventura to actually win the defamation case goes a long way in saying that where there is smoke there is fire.

I have no doubt that Kyle was a solid SEAL and a superb marksman. No person goes through BUDS and becomes a SEAL by simply winging it, these are THE very best of the US military by far, but there is some obvious character questions about Chris, and the overall legitimacy of his stories.

Fascinating article. I remember only skimming the surface of this and not paying much attention to it at the time. But for Ventura to actually win the defamation case goes a long way in saying that where there is smoke there is fire.

I have no doubt that Kyle was a solid SEAL and a superb marksman. No person goes through BUDS and becomes a SEAL by simply winging it, these are THE very best of the US military by far, but there is some obvious character questions about Chris, and the overall legitimacy of his stories.

I have a feeling this is an "Enemy at the Gates" type of scenario.

I don't agree with what Rogan said but you would think that Military people would be able to let some stuff roll off their backs. They're among the easiest to offend groups

I read a rant from a sniper that was posted on FaceBook...He was ranting against Michael Moore, calling him a fat tub of lard, telling him to put down the bear claw donut, etc., basically shit you'd hear on the playground in middle-school...The author then proceeds to say that Moore can't "get to" snipers by calling them cowards because snipers are a thick skinned group who's tough as nails (or something like that) and I'm thinking "Thick skinned? You're 5 seconds away from a 'momma' joke, and he certainly has gotten under your 'thick' skin."

I have a friend who's a former marine and served in Afghanistan and I hate that you can't really talk to him about any of that stuff. To him, it's all liberal agendas trying to defame a hero. It's not having an honest discussion about a guy who went through a lot and didn't come back exactly the way he left.

I'm sure that there is some of that involved as well where the left tries to smear the military. Since the Vietnam War the US military has always been under attack from the left, and even after the first Gulf war and 9/11 where the military gained back its trust and love with the overall American public, there is always going to be those ready to take their shots at them.

And I can't speak from experience, but there is no question that veterans who come back are never the same person they were before. The shit they have seen in witnessed would simply blow the minds of most common people like us. There is good reason why they don't open up or discuss it much outside there inner circle.

I have a feeling this is an "Enemy at the Gates" type of scenario.

I never read the book, but I did see the movie back in 2001 on Zaitsev. Its always hard to sift through what is truth and what is fiction, especially when it's something that happened well over 70 years ago, and legends sometimes can take on a life of their own as time moves on. But there definitely could be that type of scenario here.

And while the story and scenario is different, we don't need to look much further than the Pat Tillman story to see how stories can be twisted around and tales spun for many different reasons, and sadly used many times for political purposes and agendas.

Saw this last weekend. First off, use a real baby. Fake babies are creepy and are so obviously fake they snap you out of the movie instantly.

The movie outside of that was just OK for me. Entertaining, but the cadence of it was sort of repetitive. Seemed like it had a beginning, a middle, the same middle over again, the same middle over again one more time then an ending. Mostly though it tried to sit too close to the middle of a war movie and a PTSD examination. I think they really needed to take it further in one of those directions (PTSD would have been my choice, since it was central to the story more so even than war). You have this fantastic actor in Bradley Cooper, who did do a tremendous job in becoming Kyle, but then you don't squeeze every last bit out of him. He definitely had more to give on the PTSD story telling/acting front. So that was a writing issue, to me.

I had no idea it was a fake baby

Thing didn't move at all. Not a muscle. And he goes to change the hold on the baby without supporting the neck, which would cause the baby's head to just flop at that age. Not a movement though.

Guess they tried to use a real baby?

--

In my post yesterday about the breakout star of American Sniper, the low-budget Dollar Tree baby doll, I said that Clint Eastwood used a creepy prop baby, because he likes to direct really fast and a screaming, slobbering and farting human baby would hold him up. That’s not the truth, according to American Sniper’s screenwriter. In a tweet (which has since been deleted), Jason Hall said that they tried to give the job to a real, living and breathing human baby, but it didn’t work out, because babies either have the sicks or are flaky lazies. When journalist Mark Harris joked about the cheap ass plastic baby, Jason burped this up:What do you think?

:tweet:

@MarkHarrisNYC hate to ruin the fun but real baby #1 showed up with a fever. Real baby #2 was no show. (Clint voice) Gimme the doll, kid.

--

http://dlisted.com/2015/01/20/the-real-reason-why-a-fake-baby-was-used-in-american-sniper/

Guess they tried to use a real baby?

--

In my post yesterday about the breakout star of American Sniper, the low-budget Dollar Tree baby doll, I said that Clint Eastwood used a creepy prop baby, because he likes to direct really fast and a screaming, slobbering and farting human baby would hold him up. That’s not the truth, according to American Sniper’s screenwriter. In a tweet (which has since been deleted), Jason Hall said that they tried to give the job to a real, living and breathing human baby, but it didn’t work out, because babies either have the sicks or are flaky lazies. When journalist Mark Harris joked about the cheap ass plastic baby, Jason burped this up:What do you think?

:tweet:

@MarkHarrisNYC hate to ruin the fun but real baby #1 showed up with a fever. Real baby #2 was no show. (Clint voice) Gimme the doll, kid.

--

http://dlisted.com/2015/01/20/the-real-reason-why-a-fake-baby-was-used-in-american-sniper/

Well then they had the choice to re-shoot a different day with a different baby, re-shoot with a much better fake baby, work it out so fake baby is better hidden or accept that they made a couple really shitty scenes because I, and apparently quite a few others, were engaged in their movie only to be shaken out of the fantasy of it by a god awful $10 prop in the move they spent $60M to produce.

http://www.theguardian.com/film/filmblog/2015/jan/20/why-american-snipers-historical-dishonesty-misleads

Is American Sniper historically accurate?

Clint Eastwood?s simplistic film about one of the deadliest snipers in US history piles on Bush-era propaganda and sharp-shoots the facts

Alex von Tunzelmann

Tuesday 20 January 2015 08.37 EST

American Sniper (2014)

Director: Clint Eastwood

Entertainment grade: D+

History grade: D?

Chris Kyle, known as ?Legend?, was a US Navy Seal who served in Iraq in the early 2000s. He is considered the deadliest sniper in US history, with a recorded 160 confirmed kills out of 255 probable kills. He later served as a bodyguard for Sarah Palin.

Archived