• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Yup, we're not fat.

LindG1000

There's this whole fat acceptance movement going on that's doing some serious damage. Apparently skinny people are the devil, and it's ok to be unhealthy if that's how you want to be

Really? Fat acceptance? Every other commercial and advice column/segment is about weightloss and the risks of being overweight.

I think there's too much of an emphasis on weight rather than overall health though.

Really? Fat acceptance? Every other commercial and advice column/segment is about weightloss and the risks of being overweight.

I think there's too much of an emphasis on weight rather than overall health though.

That's an excellent point. Too much emphasis is put into "weight" when we should be more focused on health. Granted fat and overweight is not healthy by any means, but being skinny is also not always a sign of healthy, at least for an average adult.

I will say this, America as a whole has experienced an evolution in weight and body mass. As an example just watch a sporting event from 30 years ago and you will notice a vast difference in the people in the crowd as opposed to today. I remember seeing an old Yankees game from 1983 and almost every male in the crowd was skinny or thin. it was a hot day so guys had their shirts off and almost none had guts or love handles. You would never see guys like that today do that. Unless the guy is 18 to 25 and in college, most males would be ashamed to show the world their fat bellys and guts.

The food culture in this country has completely changed. We eat much bigger portions, food is loaded up with much larger amounts of sodium, starch, sugars, and corn syrups, ingrediants that are like kindling to fat cells. We sit around more, we are less active, we drive our cars more to further distances, we are a culture that makes TV watching and sports watching an event, we sit at computer screens for hours and do nothing, todays children are already conditioned by these habits and the cycle continues on.

I'm 36, and as a kid all the way through my late 20s I was always super skinny. Spent hours outside, played multiple sports, only played 'Nintendo' at night or on lesser occasions, and that included all of my friends. It was rare to have an obese kid in school, and those who were either had a sweet tooth or other health issues out of their control.

Over time I got comfortable, got a desk job, went to the gym less, ate crappy foods, became part of the TGI Fridays, Applebees culture of american eating, and ballooned to 250 lbs. I'm down 15 so far in a just a few weeks and hoping to lose much more. It's a struggle, but not because I can't but because the distractions and bad habits can be so easy to fall back to.

All I've done is I started walking, biking more like I used to, I have a part time job where I constantly move and I sweat, I cut out all the sweets, cut my portions in half, started to drink just water.

That's an excellent point. Too much emphasis is put into "weight" when we should be more focused on health. Granted fat and overweight is not healthy by any means, but being skinny is also not always a sign of healthy, at least for an average adult.

I will say this, America as a whole has experienced an evolution in weight and body mass. As an example just watch a sporting event from 30 years ago and you will notice a vast difference in the people in the crowd as opposed to today. I remember seeing an old Yankees game from 1983 and almost every male in the crowd was skinny or thin. it was a hot day so guys had their shirts off and almost none had guts or love handles. You would never see guys like that today do that. Unless the guy is 18 to 25 and in college, most males would be ashamed to show the world their fat bellys and guts.

The food culture in this country has completely changed. We eat much bigger portions, food is loaded up with much larger amounts of sodium, starch, sugars, and corn syrups, ingrediants that are like kindling to fat cells. We sit around more, we are less active, we drive our cars more to further distances, we are a culture that makes TV watching and sports watching an event, we sit at computer screens for hours and do nothing, todays children are already conditioned by these habits and the cycle continues on. This all contributes to obesity and overweight epedemic in our country.

I admit I have become a part of that. I'm 36, and as a kid was always super skinny. Spent hours outside, played multiple sports, only played 'Nintendo' at night or on lesser occasions, and that included all of my friends. It was rare to have an obese kid, and those who were overweight either had a sweet tooth or other health issues out of their control.

Over time I got comfortable, got a desk job, went to the gym less, ate crappy foods, became part of the TGI Fridays, Applebees culture of american eating, and ballooned to 250 lbs. I'm down 15 so far and hoping to lose much more. It's a struggle, but not because I can't but because the distractions and bad habits can be so easy to fall back to.

Pretty much hit the nail on the head. Good post.

I absolutely hate the fact that all I do is sit. I sit at work, I sit in the car, I sit at home. I wish I could get an eliptical and work during the day on that - but that's against company policy or something. Obviously, I'm not completely sedentary, but I can see how people become obsese. The sitting culture is something that I never noticed much of, but now that I'm a part of it, I'm not very happy with it.

My dad showed me an news story that said "sitting is the new smoking," and while that's not exactly the best comparison, I understand where it's coming from.

I absolutely hate the fact that all I do is sit. I sit at work, I sit in the car, I sit at home. I wish I could get an eliptical and work during the day on that - but that's against company policy or something. Obviously, I'm not completely sedentary, but I can see how people become obsese. The sitting culture is something that I never noticed much of, but now that I'm a part of it, I'm not very happy with it.

My dad showed me an news story that said "sitting is the new smoking," and while that's not exactly the best comparison, I understand where it's coming from.

I'm likely in the market for a new chair and I'm seriously considering getting a medicine ball instead of a chair for this exact reason. At least if I'm going to be on my ass for 9 hours a day, I can spend 3 of them working out core muscles.

I'm likely in the market for a new chair and I'm seriously considering getting a medicine ball instead of a chair for this exact reason. At least if I'm going to be on my ass for 9 hours a day, I can spend 3 of them working out core muscles.

You will regret that after a week. You're better off busting out a set of 10 pushups every hour and taking a walk at lunch. The medicine ball is a waste, IMO, and here's why. Sometimes...You want to lean back.

You will regret that after a week. You're better off busting out a set of 10 pushups every hour and taking a walk at lunch. The medicine ball is a waste, IMO, and here's why. Sometimes...You want to lean back.

And then you really have to work your core.

By the way, OP = Deliciousness

Not sure why you're all hating on the Sloppy Do-Joe.

The food culture in this country has completely changed. We eat much bigger portions, food is loaded up with much larger amounts of sodium, starch, sugars, and corn syrups, ingrediants that are like kindling to fat cells. We sit around more, we are less active, we drive our cars more to further distances, we are a culture that makes TV watching and sports watching an event, we sit at computer screens for hours and do nothing, todays children are already conditioned by these habits and the cycle continues on.

I'm 36, and as a kid all the way through my late 20s I was always super skinny. Spent hours outside, played multiple sports, only played 'Nintendo' at night or on lesser occasions, and that included all of my friends. It was rare to have an obese kid in school, and those who were either had a sweet tooth or other health issues out of their control.

Over time I got comfortable, got a desk job, went to the gym less, ate crappy foods, became part of the TGI Fridays, Applebees culture of american eating, and ballooned to 250 lbs. I'm down 15 so far in a just a few weeks and hoping to lose much more. It's a struggle, but not because I can't but because the distractions and bad habits can be so easy to fall back to.

All I've done is I started walking, biking more like I used to, I have a part time job where I constantly move and I sweat, I cut out all the sweets, cut my portions in half, started to drink just water.

Great post man. I agree, when I was a kid, I was the same way.I was always outside doing something, and never sat inside playing video games, hell, we werent allowed to unless it was raining. Now a days, kids dont go outside, they dont exercise, they just watch TV, play video games or watch TV. I tell my wife all the time that its sad that you dont hear or see kids playing outside anymore.

I gained some weight a couple of years ago due to a lot of stressful things I was going through, and because of it, I was eating badly, drinking soda and not really exercising as much as I should have. Now, I have cut out soda almost completely, Ill have a Sprite every once in a while, but now I am mostly water and every once in a while a vitamin water. I am trying to cut back on what I am eating and how much I am eating, and now that it is getting warmer out, I can start walking more and biking more. Its hard for me to get out and exercise because at work, I dont have time, and before work, I am home with my son and have no one to watch him, so I am left to the 2 days I am off, and have to hope it doesnt rain those days. But by cutting out soda and eating better, I lost enough weight so far to drop a pant size, and I am hoping to lose more.

I hate that I sit a lot as well, but unfortunately, with technology, everything is done on computers where you have to sit all day. I hate sitting all day, I love going for walks or bike rides, but its hard sometimes to get out. I agree with you and your dad that sitting is the new smoking.

--

I think todays culture is more concerned with looking thin than getting thin because of healthy choices. People now take all of these diet pills or weight loss pills. Everyone wants to get thin quickly and only worry about how to do it than actually staying healthy and keeping it off. People just dont want to put in the work for it anymore.

I may get both. One for leaning back and one for not

I've gained a bit of weight. I was 5'9" 155 lbs and now I'm up to 170. But it's hard because I work nights 7pm to 4am in the ghetto, where nothing is open except fried chicken spots, a pizzeria and some bodegas. I also work nights and sleep all day, so I almost never work out. It's hard to find the time and energy to exercise, and because I'm on foot, I can't pack lunch. It's a shitty situation.

I think todays culture is more concerned with looking thin than getting thin because of healthy choices. People now take all of these diet pills or weight loss pills. Everyone wants to get thin quickly and only worry about how to do it than actually staying healthy and keeping it off. People just dont want to put in the work for it anymore.

Yeah, that's what I'm saying when I said there's more focus on weight than being healthy. People go on these "diets" and start using these methods that are not healthy. You lost 40 lbs. in 4 weeks, great - but you shouldn't lose 10lbs per week for 4 weeks. People fail to realize that there is a lifestyle change that must come with losing weight, and that lifestyle change is just being healthy. People are too obsessed with the numbers game to realize it.

Archived