• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

The Most Overlooked/Underrated Rock Band in the Past 20 Years?

Parsley

Overlooked bands of the last 20 years? Hmm...I'm going with Incubus. They've done EVERYTHING IN THE GENRE at this point and yet nobody talks about them with the kind of gusto other bands get.

They've done metal, they've done funk, they've rapped, they've scratched, they've done ballads, they've done jam sessions, they've crooned - they're a versatile band oozing with talent and everyone just knows them for Drive and Dig.

Collective Soul.

Yes, Collective Soul.

They have more than seven hits over a 16-year career across seven records — their second of which (the self-titled Collective Soul) went triple platinum thanks to tracks like "December" "The World I Know", "Where the River Flows" and "Gel". So why are they overrated? Because 1993's Hints Allegations and Things Left Unsaid went double platinum, 1995's Collective Soul went triple platinum and both Disciplined Breakdown (1997) and Dosage (1999) both went platinum — yet no one even remembers the band, or tend to forget about them just as quickly after they've gone back and rocked out to one of their many hits.

Overlooked bands of the last 20 years? Hmm...I'm going with Incubus. They've done EVERYTHING IN THE GENRE at this point and yet nobody talks about them with the kind of gusto other bands get.

They've done metal, they've done funk, they've rapped, they've scratched, they've done ballads, they've done jam sessions, they've crooned - they're a versatile band oozing with talent and everyone just knows them for Drive and Dig.

I love early Incubus, but I think since A Crow Left of the Murder they have been shitty. That last album they put out was so bad, and even Light Grenades was garbage. Their really last good album was Make Yourself, maybe Morning View, but that was a complete change from Fungus Amongus, S.C.I.E.N.C.E. and Make Yourself. I have pretty much deleted everything past Morning View from my iPod on them.

Incubus, to me, has always been sort of a bastardized version of a band I already hated immensely: The Red Hot Chili Peppers. They sorta modernized the sound RHCP really popularized, and added a little more depth to it with the scratching and fusion, but I just never liked the band beyond Make Yourself. I'd actually put them in the overrated category, not the underrated one.

Incubus, to me, has always been sort of a bastardized version of a band I already hated immensely: The Red Hot Chili Peppers. They sorta modernized the sound RHCP really popularized, and added a little more depth to it with the scratching and fusion, but I just never liked the band beyond Make Yourself. I'd actually put them in the overrated category, not the underrated one.

Yeah, I tend to agree, turned into like Green Day to me, overrated.

Part of the brilliance of Incubus is that Brandon Boyd is a lyrical master. You can listen to a song and get a feeling, then read the lyrics and be like "WHATFUCKTHE?"

Yeah, I tend to agree, turned into like Green Day to me, overrated.

That's probably a great comparison, honestly. One of those bands who were underground, put out one record, blew up big, and then slowly but steadily declined in quality ever since.

Part of the brilliance of Incubus is that Brandon Boyd is a lyrical master. You can listen to a song and get a feeling, then read the lyrics and be like "WHATFUCKTHE?"

He had some great lyrics, but the last two albums were just horrible, even lyrically. That was one of the reasons I loved Incubus, the lyrics were amazing, but they just seemed to take the fame to their heads, nd they just went down hill. Even to a certain extent Pearl Jam did that. The last PJ album I liked was Vitology, then lyrically they went downhill.

This. This is what I love about Incubus. I feel like Boyd gives a level of meaning to their music, whereas their comparison, Red Hot Chili Peppers, dont.

This. This is what I love about Incubus. I feel like Boyd gives a level of meaning to their music, whereas their comparison, Red Hot Chili Peppers, dont.

C'mon, Chris. Seriously. No one will ever beat the brilliance of Heeeeeeeey-yoooooooo, Listen What I Say-yoooooooo.

C'mon, Chris. Seriously. No one will ever beat the brilliance of Heeeeeeeey-yoooooooo, Listen What I Say-yoooooooo.

I can play that song on guitar! But seriously, I haven't consistently listened to RHCP since I was in High School. I still like some of their stuff, but looking back its so spotty. The reason I put them on my list was that they do fit the qualifications.

I can play that song on guitar! But seriously, I haven't consistently listened to RHCP since I was in High School. I still like some of their stuff, but looking back its so spotty. The reason I put them on my list was that they do fit the qualifications.

For me, it's just painful. You can go back and listen to Freaky Styley, or The Uplift Mofo Party Plan or Blood Sugar Sex Magik - and then go listen to I'm With You or Stadium Arcadium. They've really....really suffered in musical quality. By the Way was a good album but the songs just bled together - same with Californication.

I felt the same way about Incubus' If Not Now When - but I honestly think it was their attempt to be Coldplay since every single Incubus album is just...I have no fucking clue what to expect so just throw great music at me. Their albums do have "stereotypical" formulas, though - every single album has an odd theme with a "What the fuck, where did that come from" string of songs (I'm STILL trying to figure out Calgone, the switch from Are You In? to Under My Umbrella to Aqueous Transmission is still one of my favorite moments in music, Battlestar Scratchlactica is a WTF on that album, and Switchblade was just completely different than the rest of it).

I'm a slut for Incubus, though. I've seen them live 7 times in 7 years now. They're awesome live.

New found glory. Awesome band that people never gave props too, even in the pop punk hey day. They were never a huge mainstream draw like thr counterparts in Blink or even fall out boy or stuff like that.

Green Day is o overrated for me. I own one Green Day album: "Dookie". I honestly feel that's all I need to do. I ate Billie Joe. He's in his 40's and decided to start wearing eye liner and sing with a bad accent late in hs career. I preferred him when he was a punk with green hair and horrible teeth.

Collective Soul.

Yes, Collective Soul.

They have more than seven hits over a 16-year career across seven records — their second of which (the self-titled Collective Soul) went triple platinum thanks to tracks like "December" "The World I Know", "Where the River Flows" and "Gel". So why are they overrated? Because 1993's Hints Allegations and Things Left Unsaid went double platinum, 1995's Collective Soul went triple platinum and both Disciplined Breakdown (1997) and Dosage (1999) both went platinum — yet no one even remembers the band, or tend to forget about them just as quickly after they've gone back and rocked out to one of their many hits.

Damn you, you took my first choice!

Absolutely. Just like you noted all of their albums have been very well received, you here there songs in many movies and tv programs, and yet there name as band has never stuck out there like their counterparts of the same time period like Green Day and Red Hot Chili peppers and such.

I saw them play at a club/bar in Sea bright about 12 years ago (is no longer there and I forget the name) and they killed it. Played almost their entire song list and could not have been moe gracious to their loyal fans.

New found glory. Awesome band that people never gave props too, even in the pop punk hey day. They were never a huge mainstream draw like thr counterparts in Blink or even fall out boy or stuff like that.

Green Day is o overrated for me. I own one Green Day album: "Dookie". I honestly feel that's all I need to do. I ate Billie Joe. He's in his 40's and decided to start wearing eye liner and sing with a bad accent late in hs career. I preferred him when he was a punk with green hair and horrible teeth.

I agree, I love New Found Glory. They are one of my favorite bands.

Archived