• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

CHI Acquire Marc-Andre Fleury from VGK

Phil

So Vegas just moved out $7mil in cap space with nothing coming back, and still have a starting goaltender. Net net with Martinez re-signing is $2mil in savings, $7mil in current cap space with only Nolan Patrick to re-sign and a backup goalie to find. Might be a quiet offseason for them, but hold onto that space for more deadline/mid-season moves.

Blackhawks are now over the cap, but have four goaltenders on the roster. Remove two, and just need to shed another $1mil or so. I think Chicago is trying to retool on the fly as quickly as possibe. Maybe one more shot with Kane and Toews? Both have two years left on their deals. Not an easy division with the Avalanche, Blues, Jets, and Wild.

This offseason should really, really make GMs think long and hard before handing out bad contracts since this is now the third case of a team needing to give up a talented player for absolutely nothing in order to clear cap space. It looks so much worse than a buyout really

This offseason should really, really make GMs think long and hard before handing out bad contracts since this is now the third case of a team needing to give up a talented player for absolutely nothing in order to clear cap space. It looks so much worse than a buyout really

Why? If the price to dispose of excess cap is a mid-round draft pick tied on, that's way better than a buyout.

Buying out Fleury, or Ladd, or Gostisbehere would have been significant cap hits over multiple years. This way, these teams threw picks with ~5% chance of making the NHL at teams with space and got the whole thing off the books in one shot.

They invented a new buyout.

I’m not exactly sure why he wouldn’t want to play there specifically. They aren’t a bad team, it’s a great city, and they absolutely can make the playoffs. Having said that, I get where he’s passed. I would be too. Vegas hasn’t exactly treated him all that great since trading for Lehner.

I’m not exactly sure why he wouldn’t want to play there specifically. They aren’t a bad team, it’s a great city, and they absolutely can make the playoffs. Having said that, I get where he’s passed. I would be too. Vegas hasn’t exactly treated him all that great since trading for Lehner.

That's hockey I guess? I don't know something about this one really stinks. You trade your franchise goalie who has backstopped your team to immense playoff success in its first few years of existence...for nothing? To clear cap room?

Anyway, I don't think any of these athletes cry too long about these sorts of things with their millions of dollars but this one has to sting a bit

If I am MAF, im retiring. Screw it. You won cups and awards. Why start over and move your family for the twilight of your career. There is nothing left to achieve if your heart isn't in it especially at his age. Shitty way to end a FANTASTIC career but that is life. It isnt always a beautiful ceremony.

If I am MAF, im retiring. Screw it. You won cups and awards. Why start over and move your family for the twilight of your career. There is nothing left to achieve if your heart isn't in it especially at his age. Shitty way to end a FANTASTIC career but that is life. It isnt always a beautiful ceremony.

how about money? and lots of it?