• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

2021 NHL Entry Draft: 8pm, ESPN2

Phil

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

https://theathletic.com/2712655/2021/07/23/top-2021-nhl-draft-prospect-brennan-othmann-is-an-ultra-high-achiever-with-big-plans/

Rangers’ first-round pick Brennan Othmann is a goal scorer and ‘ultra-high achiever’ in pursuit of his hockey dream

TORONTO — Those who know Brennan Othmann, the Rangers’ first-round pick in the 2021 NHL Draft, all have the same thing to say about him.

He cares. A lot.

And they don’t say it in cliched terms that parrot lines about work ethic and effort. He cares in the obsessive, need-to-be-better, fix-every-deficiency kind of way, they’ll tell you.

If you ask around, you’ll hear other things about him, too. Like that he’s one of the 2021 draft class’ best scorers. But everyone always comes back to the way he has immersed himself in the pursuit of his NHL dream.

Some describe it as a blessing, the kind of feverishness that they wish everyone had.

“I think he can get in his head but at the same time that’s what makes him who he is. Sometimes caring too much can lead to getting in your own head a little bit but I’ve been working with him for many years now and I think that’s a good problem to have,” said Power Edge Pro skills coach Nick Quinn. “Every time he makes a mistake in PEP, he gets frustrated. And some guys don’t care. I’ve said this to multiple people over the years but I think he has come a long ways over the years in that regard. He has improved the mental side of his game.”

I dont know know who any of these guy are, anymore. I few guys in the expected teens, but I havent looked up shit this year.
I had big-assed spreadsheets the last 3years in a row. This year I was so sure they'd package the pick I never even looked.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

He plays both wings.

Love that Tkachuk comment. Do I expect him to be as good as Tkahuk? No. But I love that he describes his game as having that kind of edge.

The same thing keeps being said, that it's hard to get these kinds of guys because they are unicorns and that you need to draft them. I like taking the chance here in trying to find a kid who already has the sandpaper in his game and has a shot talent wise as well.

• Like 1

Love that Tkachuk comment. Do I expect him to be as good as Tkahuk? No. But I love that he describes his game as having that kind of edge.

The same thing keeps being said, that it's hard to get these kinds of guys because they are unicorns and that you need to draft them. I like taking the chance here in trying to find a kid who already has the sandpaper in his game and has a shot talent wise as well.

I like the way he broke down those comparisons more than anything.

Link:

He's saying all of the right things here. He wants to be hard to play against, he wants to work hard, and he wants to be a student of the game. There's only upside here.

I like the way he broke down those comparisons more than anything.

Link:

He's saying all of the right things here. He wants to be hard to play against, he wants to work hard, and he wants to be a student of the game. There's only upside here.

Othmann Cometh

Great pick by the Habs. Great value there. Everybody just mad about something dumb a 17 year old child did. He’ll learn.

...that's two bad takes tonight. Not even gonna broach it. It's pretty black and white. Victim even said he didn't give a real apology or seem remorseful. 3 sentence text. He'll learn? Sure seems like he didn't learn much.

I mean does he really get credit for saying the "right" things here. That's like a coach at his introductory presser say we want to be the hardest working team, you know outwork the other team night in and night out. Be tough to play against, out score'em ya know, get the two points.

It's the same canned things Gallant (and every other coach/player says). I don't think there's much credit to be given for stating the obvious. It's not like he went off the board with anything he said.

I don't know enough about the kid to comment on where I think he'll end up or what he truly is but pretty sure he does know how to follow a script.

I also think it's good to know most had this pick packaged as part of a deal to actually make the team better today. That didn't happen, I'm pretty confident of that.