• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Tom Wilson Fined $5K for Roughing Buchnevich; Rangers Release Statement

• Replies 316
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

NHL executive: “Henrik Lundqvist got a $5,000 fine for squirting (Sidney) Crosby with a water bottle. And (Wilson) got a $5,000 fine for fucking rag dolling a human being.”

Former player: “On the other side of all of this, I think the Department of Player Safety is the biggest culprit in the NHL for all of this. Because their standards aren’t just double standards, they’re way worse than that. I go back to one of the worst things I saw this year was what Mark Stone did to Tyler Bozak. No-talk headshot. I just think the hypocrisy of it all. They’re driven by social media, I think, on a lot of it. I think the league is blamed for all this controversy and they bring it on themselves for not being consistent.

“If you go by the letter of the law someone should have gotten a third man in. Who would it be? If Tom Wilson jumps into a pile like that would he be the third man in? Buchnevich or Panarin could have been the third man in if you go by the rules. We don’t know what is the call. We don’t know what is suspendable.”

Longtime coach and NHL executive: “This guy, he’s living on borrowed time.”

Former player: “They’re waiting on him. He’s going to hurt someone and the league knows it.”

https://theathletic.com/2567218/2021/05/04/hockey-experts-weigh-in-on-the-tom-wilson-incident-why-he-did-what-he-did-and-the-repercussions/

Lets not forget ,the worse was the ratman Ken Linseman ,he was the worse ,committed.the crime and ran behind flyers goons

I remember vividly the Rat skating up behind T Sandstrom and try to cut his balls offwith his stick

That was one dirty fucker

I mean.. pretty mixed bag of reaction in that article

Longtime player turned NHL executive: “I didn’t think it was as bad as everyone said it was. I guess maybe because I waited to see it, I blew it up in my own mind. And what was in my mind was a lot worse.”

Former player: “I was going to time how long that entire incident took. You would swear that we had World War V. It’s one of those ‘blink of an eye’ things. And I saw all kinds of bullshit things (on social media).”

League executive: “Wilson turned around and didn’t really know who it was because Panarin jumped on his fucking back. Like he should have stayed out of it or just sort of grabbed him. Tom Wilson would not have done that to Panarin, I think, if he didn’t jump on his back and there was a whole shitstorm going on. And I’m the last person to defend this guy. I really am.

“To be honest I’m watching it now as we’re talking and I’ll tell you what, it could have been a lot worse. He didn’t even drop his gloves. Yeah, you get caught up in that. Yeah, he fucking threw him down. His helmet came off. Panarin should not have jumped on his fucking back.

“If you don’t want to get involved in that stuff, that’s your decision. But don’t bring a knife to a gunfight. Don’t go at Tom Wilson and expect him to treat you with kid gloves because of who you are. He’s not going to, so don’t go in there.”

I dont really get how you can agree with any of these.. If panarin just stood there would that have been better? He would be lambasted for being a soft euro super star. Doesnt acknowledge that wilson went above and beyond to be a scum bag.

We need to do call ups like the Syracuse Bulldogs against the Chiefs. Get Tim "Dr. Hook" McCracken. Ogie Oglethorp and Clarence "Screaming Buffalo" Swamptown on the ice tonight to deal with the problem?u=http%3A%2F%2F4.bp.blogspot.com%2F-DX3tYvzbnd4%2FUhC4n1WNC1I%2FAAAAAAAAess%2FPI7IiolJ-hw%2Fs1600%2FSlapShot_339Pyxurz.jpg&f=1&nofb=1
  • Like 1

I dont think Quinn is that guy. His message will be to go out and play hockey with decorum and try to win the game. He isnt the type to gain retribution or set an example. He wants to be the "better guy ". Just my read on him.

All seriousness after watching the video. The Rangers MUST retaliate physically against not one but multiple skill players on the Caps tonight. As has been mentioned in the thread numerous times this is the only way to deal with a goon taking liberties on your star players. Hopefully we can make up for the lack of suspension with multiple injuries for the playoffs. Id start by making sure at least one person from each line runs the goaltender and we can go from there.

you take liberties you have to pay. Otherwise liberties will be taken by everyone against you.

I dont think Quinn is that guy. His message will be to go out and play hockey with decorum and try to win the game. He isnt the type to gain retribution or set an example. He wants to be the "better guy ". Just my read on him.

Yepp.

They will "respond" by trying to win the game. I am 100% sure of this.

What part don't you get? The NHL decided that what Wilson did was no big deal. This is a guy with a long rap sheet. If they even remotely thought he did anything wrong he'd be suspended. In fact the Panarin thing they stated was just two players wrestling in a scrum which happen every night. The bigger guy just won out. That is there stance.

So besides repeating over and over again what the NHL should do, what is your solution to Wilson. The NHL does not see this as a problem. They are wrong but the Rangers play in the NHL. The NHL has determined the playing field. Adapt or what?

It's not that cut and dry. For what ever reason, the league only let's certain players get away with this kind of stuff. The Rangers own Chris Kreider was building a reputation for running goalies and steam rolling skaters a few years ago. The league had no problem having the refs call anything and everything on him as well as fining him.

The Rangers had him stop playing that way. See the giant pussy skating around with the #20 on his back daily...

Brendan Lemieux was playing pesky, BUT the refs labeled HIM an automatic penalty in most situations.

Crap, look how they treated Avery back in the day. For some reason the Wilson's and Marchands of the league can continually play over the edge, but once another player starts to mimic them or even retaliate, the league starts getting serious..

You know they cross the line and never learn. I do. They do.. So what can ANY team do? You can't retaliate and you can't develop your own version of such a player...

Or is it more like the teams with such players simply put up with it and overcome the fines the penalties and the constant looking over their shoulder?

I suggested earlier in another thread that the Rangers want nothing to do with attitude, attention, or any trouble from players on their roster . Always the good guys. The class act. Always picking themselves up off the ice and suggesting that they are "tough" for doing so.

The day they change that, is the day they take that next step in contending. Stop being the victim.

We need to do call ups like the Syracuse Bulldogs against the Chiefs. Get Tim "Dr. Hook" McCracken. Ogie Oglethorp and Clarence "Screaming Buffalo" Swamptown on the ice tonight to deal with the problem?u=http%3A%2F%2F4.bp.blogspot.com%2F-DX3tYvzbnd4%2FUhC4n1WNC1I%2FAAAAAAAAess%2FPI7IiolJ-hw%2Fs1600%2FSlapShot_339Pyxurz.jpg&f=1&nofb=1

The guy in my avatar means business.

Fair enough. I usually think more of the Bobby Clarke ilk here.

Whoa, Bobby Clarke broke the ankle of Soviet superstar Valerie Kharlamov with a viscous axe job that was probably worse than anything Wilson has done. It would have gotten about 25 games even by current NHL disciplinary standards.

Rangers should just dump the puck in softly on Carlson's side and just pound him the entire game. They're not going to get into a physical battle with Wilson to get any sort of retribution (that'll come next season). Just play as physical as much as they can on one player.

I guess Geersten won't be called up, so Smith will have to be the man to play tough on anyone entering the zone, Barron/Buch/Rooney will have to be the guys up front that are just relentless on Carlson.

Whoa, Bobby Clarke broke the ankle of Soviet superstar Valerie Kharlamov with a viscous axe job that was probably worse than anything Wilson has done. It would have gotten about 25 games even by current NHL disciplinary standards.

I actually think, if there's any response at all (which I doubt), that Buchnevich is the player on the Rangers capable of doing something with his stick that makes things really ugly. Certainly not hoping for it, but he was fired up, it's the end of the seasons, and he doesn't have much to lose.

Honestly I'm not really happy with this statement or any statement they could have made. It shows weakness and signals to me that the Rangers aren't prepared to get even tomorrow night, or maybe even to change their roster to be better equipped to handle these things. Don't get me wrong, Wilson absolutely should have gotten suspended, I just don't like this social media crying to the NHL approach. Respond on the ice, not twitter.

They're not going to. They never have and never will. This teams life long DNA has always been that of a giant pink vagina. They won't exact revenge. They won't run anyone. They're not calling up a goon. The best you'll get is possibly Smith trying to square off with him early and Wilson declining. Nobody on this roster has it in them to respond on the ice.

They're not going to. They never have and never will. This teams life long DNA has always been that of a giant pink vagina. They won't exact revenge. They won't run anyone. They're not calling up a goon. The best you'll get is possibly Smith trying to square off with him early and Wilson declining. Nobody on this roster has it in them to respond on the ice.

LOL Pretty much. It seems like fans think this is going to change year after year, and it just doesn't. This team has very rarely, if ever, had much toughness to it. Historically the Rangers are usually just a skill and speed team (Smurfs) that will fall over if you blow on them, good, bad, or indifferent.

Instead, he's a national hero.

Penalty log from the Good Friday massacre in 84 between Habs and Nordiques. lol think both teams finished with like 8 people on the bench

00:23 QUE Wilf Paiement Fighting 5 min

00:23 MTL Mike McPhee Fighting 5 min

02:48 QUE Michel Goulet Holding 2 min

02:48 MTL Bobby Smith Slashing 2 min

04:18 MTL Craig Ludwig Tripping 2 min

05:01 MTL Jean Hamel Illegal stick 2 min

09:51 QUE Wally Weir Charging 2 min

11:58 QUE Blake Wesley Holding 2 min

17:23 QUE Pat Price Slashing 2 min

17:23 MTL Chris Nilan Elbowing 2 min

20:00 QUE Mario Marois Slashing 2 min

2nd Period

03:52 QUE Michel Goulet Holding 2 min

15:20 MTL Chris Chelios Roughing 2 min

15:20 QUE Dale Hunter Roughing 2 min

17:39 MTL Rick Green Roughing 2 min

17:39 QUE Dale Hunter Roughing 2 min

17:59 MTL Craig Ludwig Fighting 5 min

17:59 QUE Anton Stastny Fighting 5 min

19:44 QUE Andre Dore Interference 2 min

19:48 MTL Bobby Smith Interference 2 min

20:00 QUE Peter Stastny Game misconduct 10 min

20:00 MTL Richard Sevigny Fighting 5 min

20:00 MTL Richard Sevigny Game misconduct 10 min

20:00 QUE Louis Sleigher Fighting 5 min

20:00 QUE Louis Sleigher Game misconduct 10 min

20:00 QUE Peter Stastny Fighting 5 min

20:00 MTL Chris Nilan Game misconduct 10 min

20:00 MTL Mario Tremblay Fighting 5 min

20:00 MTL Mario Tremblay Game misconduct 10 min

20:00 QUE Wally Weir Fighting 5 min

20:00 QUE Wally Weir Game misconduct 10 min

20:00 MTL Guy Carbonneau Roughing 2 min

20:00 QUE Randy Moller Fighting 5 min

20:00 MTL Mark Hunter Fighting 5 min

20:00 MTL Mark Hunter Game misconduct 10 min

20:00 QUE Dale Hunter Fighting 5 min

20:00 QUE Clint Malarchuk Fighting 5 min

20:00 QUE Clint Malarchuk Game misconduct 10 min

20:00 QUE Dale Hunter Roughing - double minor 4 min

20:00 MTL Mike McPhee Fighting 5 min

20:00 MTL Mike McPhee Game misconduct 10 min

20:00 MTL Jean Hamel Roughing 2 min

20:00 QUE Randy Moller Misconduct 10 min

20:00 QUE Randy Moller Misconduct 10 min

20:00 MTL Chris Nilan Fighting 5 min

20:00 MTL Chris Nilan Fighting 5 min

20:00 MTL Chris Nilan Misconduct 10 min

20:00 QUE Dale Hunter Game misconduct 10 min

3rd Period

06:46 QUE Michel Goulet Tripping 2 min

https://www.hockey-reference.com/boxscores/198404200MTL.html#penalty

I mean.. pretty mixed bag of reaction in that article

I dont really get how you can agree with any of these.. If panarin just stood there would that have been better? He would be lambasted for being a soft euro super star. Doesnt acknowledge that wilson went above and beyond to be a scum bag.

Its like they didnt watch the situation.

Here is the full video -

- Wilson punches Buch laying on the ice helpless

- Strome tries to pull Wilson away from Buch

- Caps player #26 (I think) then jumps on Strome. They lay on the ice "1v1" with the ref trying to separate them.

- At the same time Strome, #26 and refs are tangled up, Wilson jumps in as the 3rd guy and punches Strome a couple times

- Panarin then jumps up to stop Wilson going after another Ranger player. At this point a normal human being would just stop and skate a little round with Panarin while the refs sorts things out.

- Instead Wilson (And Van Riemsdyk) "attacks" Panarin (see the video above after 20 seconds).

- Wilson punches like a crazy and gets Panarin's helmet off.

- Wilson then decides that punching 3 Rangers players in 5 seconds is not enough. Proceeds to take a nice grip on Panarin's head, slew foot him and judo throw him head first towards the ice.

How anyone watches that and thinks "meeh, its no big deal" is crazy to me.

• Like 1