• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Tom Wilson Fined $5K for Roughing Buchnevich; Rangers Release Statement

Flames are ready to blow it up. It's not entirely implausible. At half the cap hit, for two more years, I'd certainly entertain it. Lucic 100% solves the "Wilson problem."

always liked him. Weary of his age but in a limited role, and at the right price, sure.

• Replies 316
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Flames are ready to blow it up. It's not entirely implausible. At half the cap hit, for two more years, I'd certainly entertain it. Lucic 100% solves the "Wilson problem."

Lucic is a loose cannon who isn't afraid to get suspended. He basically KO'd a guy on Columbus for poking the goalie with his stick after the whistle. Like Wilson, those guys are valuable because the opposing team knows they're capable of just about anything. If Lucic was on this team right now he may not have prevented anything last night, but Tom Wilson would certainly be thinking about it tomorrow night.

Lucic is a loose cannon who isn't afraid to get suspended. He basically KO'd a guy on Columbus for poking the goalie with his stick after the whistle. Like Wilson, those guys are valuable because the opposing team knows they're capable of just about anything. If Lucic was on this team right now he may not have prevented anything last night, but Tom Wilson would certainly be thinking about it tomorrow night.

He wouldn't have prevented anything, but he'd have retaliated, 100%.

Calgary is almost too obvious of a trading partner right now. If they won't deal Tkachuk, I wonder what a Lindholm/Lucic (25-50% retained) deal would look like. Does a Buchnevich/Strome package move the needle? The Rangers lose on paper in terms of production, but Lindholm is the most valuable player in the deal given what he brings to the team + cap hit for 3 more years after this. That's really attractive for the Rangers. I'd maybe ask for a hair more from the Flames, but seems like a good framework for a deal.

Calgary is almost too obvious of a trading partner right now. If they won't deal Tkachuk, I wonder what a Lindholm/Lucic (25-50% retained) deal would look like. Does a Buchnevich/Strome package move the needle? The Rangers lose on paper in terms of production, but Lindholm is the most valuable player in the deal given what he brings to the team + cap hit for 3 more years after this. That's really attractive for the Rangers. I'd maybe ask for a hair more from the Flames, but seems like a good framework for a deal.

They strike me as wanting more futures than nows. You probably only need one of Buch or Strome. From there, I'd look at younger guys, with contacts, who have some upside. See who they like from whatever that group is. Jones, Barron, Hajek, Reunanen, Gauthier, Henriksson, Pajuniemi, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

He has more points than Kakko and Lafreniere. If he has 1/2 his salary retained, he'd be a great 3rd liner for this team, and honestly that's the kind of player they should be after. Like Chara last summer. They should be looking at older players with an edge. Getzlaf for instance would really interest me as well.

Hell, get both.

He might have more points than both Kakko and Lafraniere now, but Lucic looks to be about a year away from dropping down to single digit production and slowing down to the point of being completely unproductive. If he only had a year left then I'd definitely be up for taking a chance on him (w/ 50% retained). But considering he's got 2 years left, it's bit of a risk but worth kicking the can on I guess.

I'll take him at the full hit for the next two if they're willing to send Tkachuk with him.

We can make it worth their while.

He might have more points than both Kakko and Lafraniere now, but Lucic looks to be about a year away from dropping down to single digit production and slowing down to the point of being completely unproductive. If he only had a year left then I'd definitely be up for taking a chance on him (w/ 50% retained). But considering he's got 2 years left, it's bit of a risk but worth kicking the can on I guess.

He's 0.10~ points off his career average this season.

He already bottomed out in Edmonton, I doubt he can be any worse than he was there. He's bounced back in Calgary. I think he could be useful on the 3rd or even 4th line if need be.

Let's also not forget he's a cup winner and an Assistant Captain everywhere he goes. He's kicked everyone's ass in this league twice over and can play the game. The more I talk about him, the more I want him.

Strong words. But actions speak louder than words. Get some fucking guys in here this summer that can protect this team. they're literally getting their asses kicked every night. None of the good teams respect them. If the NHL isn't going to do anything, you have to.

Call in the Goon Squad for tomorrows game. If the NHL wants to fuck around, go ahead and fuck around.

Strong words. But actions speak louder than words. Get some fucking guys in here this summer that can protect this team. they're literally getting their asses kicked every night. None of the good teams respect them. If the NHL isn't going to do anything, you have to.

Call in the Goon Squad for tomorrows game. If the NHL wants to fuck around, go ahead and fuck around.

I've literally never seen a team call for the ouster of a league official before.

Send a message on the ice, sure, but striking at the heart of the matter is important. Good on the Rangers for not letting it slide.

I generally don’t get riled up about player-safety decisions, but I didn’t like this Tom Wilson ruling.

What it comes down to — for me — is that Wilson should know he can’t take free shots at Pavel Buchnevich and/or Artemi Panarin. They aren’t equipped to deal with him, and he should recognize there’s a limit. If he’s delivering a ferocious open-ice hit, or making some kind of tough “hockey play,” I am more understanding. But this was neither.

When Wilson hit Brandon Carlo, there was enormous internal debate before his seven-game suspension. The league interpreted its rules in an almost unprecedented manner and not everyone liked it, but the decision was made. It’s proof there is room for manoeuvring, if necessary.

And there’s a lot to pore over here. If you watch the second period leading up to Monday’s incident, it’s clear Wilson is losing his temper. He’s upset at a roughing call against him from earlier in the period, then gets mad when the officials think he shouldn’t be on the ice for a face-off. So he’s doing a slow burn, and that contributes to what happened.

Some said that Panarin engaged Wilson, so he brought what happened on himself, but I’m not buying that.

For one thing, Panarin was defending Buchnevich and Ryan Strome. Second, there was a point where Wilson realized who he was tangling with and could have ended it. We’ve all seen fights where someone stops because their opponent is overmatched.

But Wilson didn’t end it, and Panarin got hurt. He won’t play the rest of this year, but it could have been much, much worse.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/31-thoughts-tom-wilson-needed-stronger-punishment/

Freidge nailed it. Really hard to argue with any of the points he made.

Except the fact that Wilson did take it easy on Panarin. He ragdolled him and slapped him around a bit. This wasn’t Carcillo vs Gaborik. The Buch part wasn’t a great look but Wilson was looking at the puck at first when they were going to the ice. The punch wasn’t necessary but don’t Jab at the goalie. We literally beg for anyone on our team for years to show that kind of protection. Then Wilson gets jumped (rightfully) but when u poke the bear you are going to get mauled. That’s just the nature of the beast.