• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Artemi Panarin Suffers Lower-Body Injury; Out for Remainder of Season

Phil

Suspensions would work if they actually had teeth. But the NHL and NHLPA have collectively bargained rules that allow for suspensions to carry almost no weight.

The fact that Tom Wilson was not considered a "repeat offender" when he received his 5th suspension a few months ago is evidence of that.

That's probably more to the point - the NHL and NHLPA take more sympathy on the offender than the victim.

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Nothing would've stopped Panarin getting ragdolled anyway because whatever 4th line tough guy plug we had wouldn't be on the ice in that situation anyway. Wilson's not gonna think "oh no Georges Laraque is gonna come after me if I sucker punch Buchnevich and then wreck Panarin's day" anyway.

Trouba or Lindgren would've been those guys if they weren't out. I was expecting Brendan Smith to be that guy sometime the rest of the game, instead he made a slick cross-ice pass to assist the GWG.

• Like 1

Nothing would've stopped Panarin getting ragdolled anyway because whatever 4th line tough guy plug we had wouldn't be on the ice in that situation anyway. Wilson's not gonna think "oh no Georges Laraque is gonna come after me if I sucker punch Buchnevich and then wreck Panarin's day" anyway.

Trouba or Lindgren would've been those guys if they weren't out. I was expecting Brendan Smith to be that guy sometime the rest of the game, instead he made a slick cross-ice pass to assist the GWG.

Right, but his point is you don't go after Wilson. You go after Ovi.

And to that I say... Good luck lol

not getting my hopes up here. just saw the recap on nhl tonight. hardly anything was said about it on the recap.

cant be a little bit pregnant on this. either you bring back the goons and slow the game down (which i really think some neanderthals that run this league really want) or you get this type of shit once and for all out of the game and sell the skill. You did just get two new t.v. contacts... think the skill level had something to do with it... what do you think.

Right, but his point is you don't go after Wilson. You go after Ovi.

And to that I say... Good luck lol

Yeah, no Ovi ain't allowing himself to get manhandled by anyone, Wilson around or not. You go after their best forward: Backstrom.

Washington Capitals forward Tom Wilson has been fined $5,000 for his role in Monday's skirmish versus the New York Rangers, the NHL's Department of Player Safety announced.

Wilson was given four minutes for roughing and a 10-minute misconduct after punching Pavel Buchnevich and slamming Artemi Panarin to the ice.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Well he was assessed 2 separate roughing penalties on the play wasn't he? Given how they only specify the Buchy roughing penalty leads me to believe there's more action incoming on the Panarin roughing call.

Honestly? They're hit or miss. Sometimes they work (Marchand comes to mind, as does Radko Gudas, Shawn Thornton, a few others) and players learn to play within bounds. Sometimes they don't - case in point here. I don't see enough to believe that eye for an eye works here - in part because Tom Wilson doesn't actually respond to deterrents, and in part because as I said earlier, this is a (thankfully) quite rare thing we're talking about, and it's gotten rarer as DOPS has made it clear that this level of on-ice violence isn't acceptable. Aside from Tom Wilson - who else is doing this shit on the regular? It's working well enough.

That said- a deterrent doesn't make Wilson not snap. It might make the rest of the bench feel a bit more scared when he does, but even then - do you really want to have our guy go out there and do to Backstrom what Wilson did to Panarin? I don't. That's bush league thug shit.

I'm talking about suspensions in regard to Wilson. They have done nothing to deter his actions. They have done nothing to deter the Caps from putting an "A" on him and making him an important player on their team. They even went so far to make fun of the situation.

The only way you are getting through here to him or that organization is to make the way Tom Wilson plays a problem for them. It means that the organization sees their best players get the same treatment that he dishes out. Nobody is claiming that Wilson won't snap, he's obviously a troubled man. I will say that a Backstrom or an Ovi may go to management and say I don't want this guy here because he's putting a target on my back.

Players get banished from this league for tweets. Surely the league can create an atmosphere to banish a player who plays to hurt people. Unfortunately the Caps have Wilson and as long as nobody is going to respond in kind they will use him as an advantage. Which he is a massive advantage . Intimidation is very important in hockey and look how the game changed last night after the incident. Not to long ago the Caps top players would have needed eyes on their back after that shit. At the very least Wilson would have been attacked as soon as he stepped out of the box. The Rangers did nothing but seemingly couldn't wait to get the game over so they could whine to the press.

So, no I don't want to play bush league hockey. What I want is my team to stand up for themselves. To be able to give it back. I do want someone to go after Backstrom. Not try and literally kill him but give a beating yes. Backstrom has no interest in having to fight. Backstrom would make Wilson stop, you can bet on it.

So to be clear - pinning a guy to the ice and punching him in the back of the head is a 5K fine? Money on the board, then?

That's a joke.

potentially.

I still say you take out a teammate of his. You target the shit out of a guy like Carlson. And every time, you let the entire Caps bench know why their best Dman will be injured for the playoffs.

So to be clear - pinning a guy to the ice and punching him in the back of the head is a 5K fine? Money on the board, then?

That's a joke.

So now what? Tom Wilson is laughing even harder now then he was in the box. The NHL has just confirmed that he can play as reckless as he wishes and the Rangers are a bunch of bitches. The NHL has just confirmed that bush league hockey is what they promote. Wednesday should be fun. They better have mace in their purses because the NHL just announced it's open season on the girls in blue.

I'm talking about suspensions in regard to Wilson. They have done nothing to deter his actions. They have done nothing to deter the Caps from putting an "A" on him and making him an important player on their team. They even went so far to make fun of the situation.

The only way you are getting through here to him or that organization is to make the way Tom Wilson plays a problem for them. It means that the organization sees their best players get the same treatment that he dishes out. Nobody is claiming that Wilson won't snap, he's obviously a troubled man. I will say that a Backstrom or an Ovi may go to management and say I don't want this guy here because he's putting a target on my back.

Players get banished from this league for tweets. Surely the league can create an atmosphere to banish a player who plays to hurt people. Unfortunately the Caps have Wilson and as long as nobody is going to respond in kind they will use him as an advantage. Which he is a massive advantage . Intimidation is very important in hockey and look how the game changed last night after the incident. Not to long ago the Caps top players would have needed eyes on their back after that shit. At the very least Wilson would have been attacked as soon as he stepped out of the box. The Rangers did nothing but seemingly couldn't wait to get the game over so they could whine to the press.

The NHL is not an eye for an eye league like it was in the 70s. Nick Backstrom is the product they want to - and should be - selling. It should NEVER get to the point where your star players need to go to management and tell them to get rid of another player because he's painting a target on someone elses back. Answer for your own damn actions. DoPS being soft on this is the problem - this is ice hockey, not Vince McMahon's XHL or some shit.

So, no I don't want to play bush league hockey. What I want is my team to stand up for themselves. To be able to give it back. I do want someone to go after Backstrom. Not try and literally kill him but take a beating yes. Backstrom has no interest in having to fight. Backstrom would make Wilson stop, you can bet on it.

When Buchnevich got jumped, Panarin and Strome and Zibanejad and Fox jumped right in. When Panarin got slewfooted, Buchnevich jumped right back in. I don't know where you're getting "they did nothing". It's fair to say they have nobody who can punch up to Wilson and that we simply lack the physical presence to react when a team gets tougher on us - we fold when that happens. Hell, not many teams have an answer for "in the rules" Tom Wilson. To be even fairer, I wouldn't want someone who does anything like what Wilson did to Panarin on my team - that doesn't belong in hockey.

potentially.

I still say you take out a teammate of his. You target the shit out of a guy like Carlson. And every time, you let the entire Caps bench know why their best Dman will be injured for the playoffs.

Yup. This tactic is as old as the game. There is a reason that hockey has it's reputation and why goons existed in the first place. Goons didn't just appear in the league at first puck drop. It was an arms race. There is always a bigger badder guy. Maybe he can't play but there is someone out there that can put the fear of god into Wilson. It's how the league got to the point of the Flyers in the 70's. Let the arms race begin

potentially.

I actually kind of respect how the Rangers handled it yesterday. I respect that they got in the scrum in the moment and not doing something reckless like targeting Backstrom in the 3rd. I respect that Blackwell took a run at Wilson. I respect that they expected DoPS to handle it. I hate that they folded in the face of it, but that's a completely different problem, imo.

Gloves off tomorrow, though. If DoPS won't do right by that, then the expectation is that this kind of thuggishness is allowed for the nominal fee of around a tenth of a percent of your salary. Go break some teeth.

The NHL is not an eye for an eye league like it was in the 70s. Nick Backstrom is the product they want to - and should be - selling. It should NEVER get to the point where your star players need to go to management and tell them to get rid of another player because he's painting a target on someone elses back. Answer for your own damn actions. DoPS being soft on this is the problem - this is ice hockey, not Vince McMahon's XHL or some shit.

When Buchnevich got jumped, Panarin and Strome and Zibanejad and Fox jumped right in. When Panarin got slewfooted, Buchnevich jumped right back in. I don't know where you're getting "they did nothing". It's fair to say they have nobody who can punch up to Wilson and that we simply lack the physical presence to react when a team gets tougher on us - we fold when that happens. Hell, not many teams have an answer for "in the rules" Tom Wilson. To be even fairer, I wouldn't want someone who does anything like what Wilson did to Panarin on my team - that doesn't belong in hockey.

Really? They just gave him a fine for $5K. So what is the NHL? Should the league become where the top players ask not to play against Tom Wilson because he's a dangerous player with no regard for anything? The NHL has once again shit themselves regarding player safety. Wishing it so doesn't make it true. The NHL will not protect your players. That is on each in individual team.

The Rangers on the ice did the best they could. I'm fine with everyone of their reactions. The fact that Wilson played the entire third period without incident is an indictment on our roster. You are 100% right there is no-one on the Rangers who can/would do anything. That's the problem. Having a guy who can beat the shit out of Wilson maybe impossible to find. Having a guy who would go after a Backstrom as retribution would have been "code". Wilson rag dolled fucking Artemni Panarin,. This isn't Simon on Hollweg.

NHL Translation to the Rangers:

"STOP BEING PUSSIES AND HANDLE IT YOURSELVES"....pretty easy to get that message, I think.

100% right. Don't think for a second the Rangers rivals aren't watching how they handle this.