• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

[RS] (#2) Rangers vs. New York Islanders // Let's Try That Again

Drew a Penalty

Any chance this is political? DeAngelo was the least of the teams problem and was the only player showing ANY sort of fire/concern about the game.

Bench the guy who plays with emotion??? Wtf is this?

for Quinn - no.

Fans - yea. Not surprising to see who bashes deangelo on social media for EVERYTHING. Same people complaining about the penalty complained the team showed no emotion.

• Replies 326
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not sure what valuable emotion he showed. Maybe next time something like this on Barzal rather than fanning him with his stick? If nothing else he could of stepped up and put a shoulder into him rather than what he did there. Hell even if Barzal got the shot off, show something meaningful rather than yelling and slamming a door?

We just disagree. And come on dude, we have both seen those other two players to know a good 5-6 times per season, they are going to take absolutely rediculois penalties, especially Kreider. As for the misconduct, we can agree to disagree. He sat ADA after that in the game. There was no reason to bench him now when we haven?t even scored a goal yet.

I do not agree at all that he?s a selfish player. He?s tried moving sides with no gripes. He played on a one year show me contract and still after putting up top 5 points in the LEAGUE settled out of arbitration. Like I said, it?s game 1 of the season and alienating him is not ?good for the cause.? Whole team sucked. You bury it and move on. You don?t make a scapegoat because Quinn as a coach has no clue how to get to the next level yet.. That?s shitty coaching

I'm sorry dude but it's just willful ignorance to try and compare penalties from other players to an unsportsmanlike conduct for slamming the door to the penalty box. It's apples to jackhammers.

Again, I don't know why this is so hard to understand, it's ADA's attitude that's getting him in the press box. He's selfish because he lets his anger get the best of him and it costs the team. It's time for him to grow up. He still acts like a petulant child. Have a temper tantrum, quit Twitter, have a temper tantrum slam the door to the box. He needs to show some maturity.

Surely you can understand that, I don't even know why this conversation has gone on this long lol.

ADA is a great player when he's on the ice, unfortunately he can't get out of his own way to stay on the ice.

2 minutes for slamming the penalty box door is the same 2 minutes for a lazy stick infraction.. I don’t get the point of making one a teachable moment while repeatedly ignoring the other.. especially when we continue to see dumb stick infractions night after night.

Hell, the slamming of the door was about the 1st time the entire game anyone showed a friggin pulse during the game.

ADA has behavioral issues. The team has talked to him about it.

When those behavioral issues wind up with an extra penalty, you lose ice time.

This is not new.

And if you want to get ticky tacky, Strome benched last year at the end in a game against Philly.

It's such a nonpoint.

I'm not sure why folks are so upset that DeAngelo got scratched tonight. He ad a god awful game. Walked by Barzal, constantly looking lost, took a lazy penalty and a stupid penalty. He actively hurt the team - and yes, more than Johnson did.

No issue here. You can't play like that in the NHL, and that you choose to bench a star player and key power play guy sends a pretty clear message about the compete level.

And whats with the Di Giuseppe fascination? Guy was drafted 8 years ago and had been dwindling as an AHLer for the last 3 years, but he's getting in on the starting lineup and ahead of Gauthier.

Why do the Rangers have this love for garbage players like this. This is Hrivik 2.0. Either play a kid or sign/claim a veteran to play in this spot. Not this fuckin schmoe. You're doing it with Jack Johnson... Why not with forwards, where you are severely lacking potential and depth. The Rangers have younger and better options on their taxi squad than Johnson, but here he is..

Di Giuseppe should be a guy used when there's no other option. Barron should be in there instead of not playing at all. That or someone with a little snarl, so that emotions can be taken out on the ice and not on penalty box doors, which apparently is the biggest no no. I mean who gives a shit about non effort and weak play. That can slide. BUT DONT YOU FUCKIN DARE slam the penalty box door.

Absolutely right. There is no reason to be playing him aside from a three game stint mid-season during a rash of injuries. Johnson, Smith and Miller in the lineup the same night is asking for trouble, but ADA must be taught a lesson! He's not going to be taught a lesson. He's only going to be worse because he's outraged at being singled out.

I'm sorry dude but it's just willful ignorance to try and compare penalties from other players to an unsportsmanlike conduct for slamming the door to the penalty box. It's apples to jackhammers.

Again, I don't know why this is so hard to understand, it's ADA's attitude that's getting him in the press box. He's selfish because he lets his anger get the best of him and it costs the team. It's time for him to grow up. He still acts like a petulant child. Have a temper tantrum, quit Twitter, have a temper tantrum slam the door to the box. He needs to show some maturity.

Surely you can understand that, I don't even know why this conversation has gone on this long lol.

ADA is a great player when he's on the ice, unfortunately he can't get out of his own way to stay on the ice.

Or it’s just a difference of opinion. Stop with the insulting ignorance comment crap. We both have been around long enough to just respect a difference of opinion. Players slam the door to a penalty box constantly. Is it stupid? Sure. Is it normally called a penalty? No. The ref just got bent out of shape because there are no fans and it was louder than it normally ever would be. It’s still an adjustment for everyone. This is only the 4th game I think the Rangers have played without fans and first in many months.

As for comparisons, I remember last January playing on the island where ADA takes a penalty in the third, gets out of the box and scores. When he got back to the bench Quinn reamed him out. You could see it. Same game after the Islanders tie it late in the third Kreider runs the goalie and takes a stupid penalty. Not a word said. Kreider later scores the game winner. There are valid comparisons. You don’t agree but it is what it is. I think it’s pretty clear Quinn doesn’t like ADA but he tolerates him as long as he is a choir boy out there. Would be fine if that were true for everyone.

Relationship reminds me a ton of Avery and Torts, except ADA has a shit ton of more talent.

Or it?s just a difference of opinion. Stop with the insulting ignorance comment crap. We both have been around long enough to just respect a difference of opinion. Players slam the door to a penalty box constantly. Is it stupid? Sure. Is it normally called a penalty? No. The ref just got bent out of shape because there are no fans and it was louder than it normally ever would be. It?s still an adjustment for everyone. This is only the 4th game I think the Rangers have played without fans and first in many months.

As for comparisons, I remember last January playing on the island where ADA takes a penalty in the third, gets out of the box and scores. When he got back to the bench Quinn reamed him out. You could see it. Same game after the Islanders tie it late in the third Kreider runs the goalie and takes a stupid penalty. Not a word said. Kreider later scores the game winner. There are valid comparisons. You don?t agree but it is what it is. I think it?s pretty clear Quinn doesn?t like ADA but he tolerates him as long as he is a choir boy out there. Would be fine if that were true for everyone.

Relationship reminds me a ton of Avery and Torts, except ADA has a shit ton of more talent.

It's not a difference of opinion. It's fact. ADA has an attitude problem. it's well documented, it's never stopped, and there are consequences.

I'm not saying that you're an ignorant person, I'm saying you're willfully ignoring all of that. I wasn't trying to insult you.

This isn't a punishment over one game or one penalty. This is cumulative.

It's not a difference of opinion. It's fact. ADA has an attitude problem. it's well documented, it's never stopped, and there are consequences.

I'm not saying that you're an ignorant person, I'm saying you're willfully ignoring all of that. I wasn't trying to insult you.

This isn't a punishment over one game or one penalty. This is cumulative.

Well what he did in juniors, twitter, or things from seasons ago should not hold any weight day one of the season. Not when the entire team played like dog shit. They win 4-3 and have to overcome ADA then I understand. He wasn’t even the worst person on the ice. That’s my point. The rest is nonsense. Very dumb coaching in my opinion singling out a guy he dislikes in the first place 1 game into a season. Get the team ready in the first place. Don’t get outcoached in your home opener. Hold yourself responsible and look in the mirror as well instead of just deciding one guy needs to sit down. This is the same coach that decided Smith needs to play, and on wing, all of last year. We aren’t talking about a Jack Adams winning coach here that knows what it takes to do anything except be granted a supremely talented young roster.

Appreciate the clarity. I’m not saying ADA is a saint. What he’s done in the past obviously happened. It’s an opinion that quitting twitter and slam,big the door means he should be scratched the first sign of regression. Obviously we won’t agree here lol.

It's not about making him the victim but in the time he's been here, I've seen Kreider take stupid damn penalties constantly with impunity and he's now an, "alternate", captain. I've watched Trouba all last year making stupid effin plays that he repeated game one again this year with impunity. And again, it's asinine to bench a guy after game 1 when the entire team played like dog shit and ADA didn't stand out unless you are intentionally looking for him to stand out.

How many lazy penalties does Strome take each year? When was he ever benched? To me it seems like there are two sets of rules. If this is a few games into a season with multiple occasions, so be it. It's game 1 of the freaking year and if u are going to take prior seasons into account day, 1, thrn half the team shouldn't play tonight.

This. I mean benching a guy for taking a penalty in a game that's already over?

How many fucking too many men penalties has this team racked up over the last 2 years? Whos that on? This repeat offender excuse is bull. Especially after game 1.

With this kind of crap DeAngelo is gone within a month. Bet we see a Yardley for DeAngelo swap. Yuck

Well what he did in juniors, twitter, or things from seasons ago should not hold any weight day one of the season. Not when the entire team played like dog shit. They win 4-3 and have to overcome ADA then I understand. He wasn?t even the worst person on the ice. That?s my point. The rest is nonsense. Very dumb coaching in my opinion singling out a guy he dislikes in the first place 1 game into a season. Get the team ready in the first place. Don?t get outcoached in your home opener. Hold yourself responsible and look in the mirror as well instead of just deciding one guy needs to sit down. This is the same coach that decided Smith needs to play, and on wing, all of last year. We aren?t talking about a Jack Adams winning coach here that knows what it takes to do anything except be granted a supremely talented young roster.

Appreciate the clarity. I?m not saying ADA is a saint. What he?s done in the past obviously happened. It?s an opinion that quitting twitter and slam,big the door means he should be scratched the first sign of regression. Obviously we won?t agree here lol.

Yes, all the things he did in the past should hold weight.

This isn't about how the rest of the team played. This is about how ADA has acted his entire career.

ADA is his own worst enemy.

I'm not going to go down the Smith and used to play road... The roster is what it is and that's not in Quinn's control.

I have my issues with Quinn in terms of no discernible identity or system, but I have no issue with the way he handles players. Whenever we have a coach who holds players accountable, we complain, when there's a coach who doesn't hold players accountable, we complain lol.

Anybody know if Panarin is going to play after missing the last 4 they played?

As for D'Angelo, Quinn sees a pattern he doesn't like I would bet it extends to practice etc., rather than a single door slam. His effort on Barzal's goal was brutal as well. If nothing else step up and level him even if it's a split second after he gets the shot off. He's supposed to be one of the tougher guys on the team right? Plays with an edge.

Can't sit them all but in the coaches eyes you gotta start somewhere. I'm not convinced Quinn is the answer but for now he's the only one we have.

Let's not forget this was pretty much their first pre season game. To scratch a player for getting beat by an elite guy like Barzal and for slamming the penalty box door is ridiculous. There is no pattern. Its their first game played. Its pre season. Shestyorkin even looked like shit. That's the sign of them needing time to play.

Yes, all the things he did in the past should hold weight.

This isn't about how the rest of the team played. This is about how ADA has acted his entire career.

ADA is his own worst enemy.

I'm not going to go down the Smith and used to play road... The roster is what it is and that's not in Quinn's control.

I have my issues with Quinn in terms of no discernible identity or system, but I have no issue with the way he handles players. Whenever we have a coach who holds players accountable, we complain, when there's a coach who doesn't hold players accountable, we complain lol.

Well to be honest, I’m a big believer of new season new slate. Regardless, rookie first nhl start tonight. We r doomed.

Let's not forget this was pretty much their first pre season game. To scratch a player for getting beat by an elite guy like Barzal and for slamming the penalty box door is ridiculous. There is no pattern. Its their first game played. Its pre season. Shestyorkin even looked like shit. That's the sign of them needing time to play.

All fair, I just don't think it's meaningful emotion for yelling on the way to the box and slamming a door, it's counter productive. He was brutal (as were others) but I also think he has a running tab of issues. For me it's one game so I'm not upset with him sitting. I don't think he's here for the long run.

When it comes to Quinn I think he's in over his head too here. He was quoted in the Post today saying the benching has nothing to do with the past it was just based on last nights undisciplined penalty which I find impossible to believe.

https://nypost.com/2021/01/16/tony-deangelo-not-in-rangers-lineup-for-game-vs-islanders/

The Rangers defenseman skated with the taxi squad Friday after getting called for an unsportsmanlike conduct 1:05 into the third period of Thursday?s 4-0 loss to the Isles. DeAngelo, who has been a healthy scratch before under head coach David Quinn for what Quinn has previously described as ?maturity issues,? slammed the penalty box door and yelled at the refs after committing a holding penalty.

?Listen, there?s just a lot of things that go on that we?re going to keep in-house, and this is one of them,? Quinn said prior to Saturday?s contest at Madison Square Garden. ?Tony and I have talked about it. There?s clarity on what happened here. It was the right thing to do and he?ll be back in the lineup soon.?

Asked if he would scratch any other player in the lineup if they conducted himself the way DeAngelo did Thursday, Quinn said he would and that it didn?t have anything to do with the fact that it was a repeat offender in DeAngelo.