• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

2020 Offseason Thread: Get to Fixin'

Phil

Dates to Remember:

NHL Draft Lottery ? August 10

NHL Entry Draft ? Tentatively scheduled for October 6?7

Free Agency Opens ? October 9 (or seven days after Stanley Cup Final ends)

Buyout Window ? ?

2020 Draft Lottery Odds:

Rangers' odds at first overall: 12.5%

2020 Draft Order:

1. Placeholder team

2. Los Angeles Kings

3. Ottawa Senators (from San Jose Sharks)

4. Detroit Red Wings

5. Ottawa Senators

6. Anaheim Ducks

7. New Jersey Devils

8. Buffalo Sabres

if the Draft is in October that means all the European leagues seasons would have already started? That means all these "final" prospect rankings are not really final?

• Replies 585
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First time I hear that Quinn is a power forward. Lundell is more of a power forward. A big 2 way center is exactly what we need and exactly what we hoped out of Lias but did not get. Liiga still better than CHL. And again just like with Reichel I think Lundell has good hockey IQ.

Lundell is not more of a power forward than Quinn. If you don't think Quinn has aspects of a power forward in his game then you just haven't seen enough of him.

What makes Lundell big? He and Quinn are almost the exact same size. Lundell is listed as nearly 6'1" on HIFK's website and Quinn is listed at 6'1" on the OHL site. Lundell weighs 183 lbs to Quinn's 179. Size can't work for one and not the other when they're almost literally the same size. When it comes to that, I'll pick the guy in Quinn who only started hitting the gym as recently as the last 2-3 years and has seen significant gains from filling out his frame.

I'll take my chances on the guy who is a consistent offensive threat, is capable of a 200 ft game, and is only just reaping the benefits of maximizing his frame. That's Quinn.

By most accounts, Lundell's strength is his positioning, defense, hockey IQ, which are all significant. He's not a goal scorer and he's not really a playmaker per se. He will have great possession numbers. Sounds like a primo 3C and a PK stalwart.

Which leads me to ask if that's what you want to take at #10-11. Or is this the only level to find genuine offensive firepower, and should the NYR make sure they are trying to get the best goal production available - or at least a more rounded package?

Sent from my SM-G970U using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

By most accounts, Lundell's strength is his positioning, defense, hockey IQ, which are all significant. He's not a goal scorer and he's not really a playmaker per se. He will have great possession numbers. Sounds like a primo 3C and a PK stalwart.

Which leads me to ask if that's what you want to take at #10-11. Or is this the only level to find genuine offensive firepower, and should the NYR make sure they are trying to get the best goal production available - or at least a more rounded package?

Sent from my SM-G970U using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Sounds like Coutourier.

Offense should take precedent. Despite recent drafts, the Rangers forward cupboards are poorly stocked. You need more potential and goal-scoring ability. Going for the safe 3C in a deep draft is just a waste.

Lundell is not more of a power forward than Quinn. If you don't think Quinn has aspects of a power forward in his game then you just haven't seen enough of him.

What makes Lundell big? He and Quinn are almost the exact same size. Lundell is listed as nearly 6'1" on HIFK's website and Quinn is listed at 6'1" on the OHL site. Lundell weighs 183 lbs to Quinn's 179. Size can't work for one and not the other when they're almost literally the same size. When it comes to that, I'll pick the guy in Quinn who only started hitting the gym as recently as the last 2-3 years and has seen significant gains from filling out his frame.

I'll take my chances on the guy who is a consistent offensive threat, is capable of a 200 ft game, and is only just reaping the benefits of maximizing his frame. That's Quinn.

Quinn is listed 5'11" 176 lbs Lundell listed 6'1" 187 lbs

please show me either an article describing Quinn as a power forward or some video footage that indicates he is that.

They are both good prospects you prefer Quinn, I think Lundell is more of what we need. There is no question Quinn has a higher offensive ceiling, but that is not everything to me.

Quinn is listed 5'11" 176 lbs Lundell listed 6'1" 187 lbs

please show me either an article describing Quinn as a power forward or some video footage that indicates he is that.

They are both good prospects you prefer Quinn, I think Lundell is more of what we need. There is no question Quinn has a higher offensive ceiling, but that is not everything to me.

Screen-Shot-2020-08-09-at-3-53-23-PM.png

Screenshot directly from the OHL website. Don't rely on EliteProspects for all your info.

Here's an excerpt from the 2020 Black Book on Quinn:

Quinn is an impact 200-foot-power forward, who is capable of overwhelming his opponents. Jack possesses a remarkable and unique drive that allows him to be more than the sum of his impressive skillset. When looking at other high-end shooters, it’s Quinn that gets himself into high danger scoring areas at the highest rate. He is a player that managed to dominate and takeover games consistently in our viewings. This is a player that showed a fantastic development curve, and that’s something we always look for when evaluating the projection of a prospect. In Quinn’s case, there was very few players in this year’s draft that could match his curve. Last season, the talent was there, but he didn’t have the same take-over mentality that he’s developed. He wasn’t as willing to attack the tough areas of the ice with the consistency he does now. With more minutes and a new mental approach, Jack was able to elevate his game.

That lines up with what I've watched. I'm sure you can find footage that would match.

I think you underestimate his offensive ability a little. He is your 2nd/3rd line center that can produce 40-60 points that can be used in a shutdown role. Think of best memories/qualities of Brandon Dubinsky.

I think you underestimate his offensive ability a little. He is your 2nd/3rd line center that can produce 40-60 points that can be used in a shutdown role. Think of best memories/qualities of Brandon Dubinsky.
Dubinsky needed first line ice time to sniff 50ish points.

Lundell could work at 2C, particularly if Kakko finds his scoring touch. But if Panarin is going to continue to set the music for the 2nd line, it's going to be an offensive unit on which you want a strong offensive center. I mean, Strome got 59 points in a short season. What could someone with more serious scoring tools make of that opportunity?

Watch the Mercer videos. Fast, serious hands, plus shot, sweet passing touch, does his backcheck work. Seems like a great package to start with. Can play center or wing.

With Quinn, all pretty strong choices.

Problem with Quinn is the 2018/19 season. He just turned 17 at the start of the season, so he wasn't that young and all he managed to produce was 32 points in 61 games. If he was born few days earlier he could have gone undrafted last year. And I don't see him as a Power Forward:

if he is now 6'1" it will solidify him get picked in the top 12.

I am not sure how up to date Liiga's website is on player stats, NHL is not always up to date.

Problem with Quinn is the 2018/19 season. He just turned 17 at the start of the season, so he wasn't that young and all he managed to produce was 32 points in 61 games. If he was born few days earlier he could have gone undrafted last year. And I don't see him as a Power Forward:

if he is now 6'1" it will solidify him get picked in the top 12.

I am not sure how up to date Liiga's website is on player stats, NHL is not always up to date.

And yet you used EliteProspects heights and weights which are even less up to date. I'll trust the league sites over third parties.

Mercer is an interesting prospect, but I think taking him at #11 is a reach, but if he slips to our 2nd pick or we trade down then yes. His production seems to have went downhill after the trade and had 0 points in 7 WJC games. does that mean he is great defensively and was used in a defensive role or his offense is overrated?
What were his minutes in the WJC?

What were his minutes in the WJC?

He averaged 7:18. That's about expected from a player in their draft year in the WJC, especially one on the Canadian roster as a non-top pick. The Canadian national team is notably stingy and can sometimes be a hard to understand meritocracy. The fact that he made it onto the roster in his draft year alone is an accomplishment. It's a rarity.

He averaged 7:18. That's about expected from a player in their draft year in the WJC, especially one on the Canadian roster as a non-top pick. The Canadian national team is notably stingy and can sometimes be a hard to understand meritocracy. The fact that he made it onto the roster in his draft year alone is an accomplishment. It's a rarity.

He actually beat out Newhook for the spot, which is somewhat notable.