• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Stats Don't Lie — We're Sellers

LindG1000

I seriously doubt they liquidate again. If anything, they'll strategically sell off parts for pieces they can use immediately. The deals for futures are behind them, IMO. Even with Kreider, for example. I think it's far more likely they trade him to a team for a roster player plus a pick rather than just a slew of mid-round selections or prospects (lottery tickets) who aren't effectively NHLers next season.

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh absolutely Phil!! In a perfect world that's exactly what I'd like to see. I've been debating all along that guys like Georgiev, Kreider and D'Angelo would be an addition by subtraction. In return for those guys, we could possibly get some solid pieces to what the team actually needs, and we can even take a shot at the playoffs.

Fact is, and I know you know this...we can't re-sign everyone. And even though there are guys to consider resigning (Strome-term depending, Fast, yeah I've come full circle on him ;))...I think the rest we'd be better without...but that's just me.

This team in my opinion needs more size, physicality/toughness, and better defensive play going forward. Georgiev, Kreider and D'Angelo are very valuable assets right now that we can use to obtain a good supply of needs to this team.

If DeAngelo were on another team we would be clamoring to get him. Young NHL player breaking out who plays with an edge to his game and isn't afraid to muck it up.

The issue with DeAngelo isn't what he brings — it's where he brings it. We've covered this a lot. I love the player, but he's still the team's third-best right-handed defenseman, so unless you're bucking the lefties-play-right and righties-play-left dogma, you can't afford to keep him, Trouba, and Fox. It's untenable and completely blocks the path for any roster hopefuls (Lundkvist).

The issue with DeAngelo isn't what he brings — it's where he brings it. We've covered this a lot. I love the player, but he's still the team's third-best right-handed defenseman, so unless you're bucking the lefties-play-right and righties-play-left dogma, you can't afford to keep him, Trouba, and Fox. It's untenable and completely blocks the path for any roster hopefuls (Lundkvist).

:+1:

If DeAngelo were on another team we would be clamoring to get him. Young NHL player breaking out who plays with an edge to his game and isn't afraid to muck it up.

I hear ya my man...and in most cases I'm usually with you 100%. ...and I don't dislike him at all. I just don't see him as a long term solution on this team. I'd rather him bring us some good returns that fit here and watch him try to win a cup for a contender this spring.

I seriously doubt they liquidate again. If anything, they'll strategically sell off parts for pieces they can use immediately. The deals for futures are behind them, IMO. Even with Kreider, for example. I think it's far more likely they trade him to a team for a roster player plus a pick rather than just a slew of mid-round selections or prospects (lottery tickets) who aren't effectively NHLers next season.

Yep. Between trading Georgiev and Kreider, you probably end up deepening the roster with hopefully two young roster players who can slot in plus Kravtsov. Trading Kreider might have a significant locker room effect, though.

I think Quinn's usage of Fox and DeAngelo together is a sign that he's willing to use two righties together. He just hasn't done it frequently enough because it would throw another one of the pairings out of whack because of the extra lefties. If Lundkvist is stable enough to play behind him next season even better. I think he's still two seasons off, but the org might think differently.

Yep. Between trading Georgiev and Kreider, you probably end up deepening the roster with hopefully two young roster players who can slot in plus Kravtsov. Trading Kreider might have a significant locker room effect, though.

Interesting point, Drew. This team really has seemed to pull together and actually "Like" one another. The question I have though is, why didn't they give Kreider the "C" if he's seemingly that much of a leader??

Just seems strange that no one on this team has stepped up and received that vote yet from Quinn.

I think Quinn's usage of Fox and DeAngelo together is a sign that he's willing to use two righties together. He just hasn't done it frequently enough because it would throw another one of the pairings out of whack because of the extra lefties. If Lundkvist is stable enough to play behind him next season even better. I think he's still two seasons off, but the org might think differently.

Yes. It certainly looks like he has been giving it a look, but he doesn't have a reason to force it into being a permanent switch at the moment. It doesn't mean it wouldn't work. Actually, given DeAngelo's game and joining the rush, I think it would work extremely well to have him on his off hand on a permanent basis.

Interesting point, Drew. This team really has seemed to pull together and actually "Like" one another. The question I have though is, why didn't they give Kreider the "C" if he's seemingly that much of a leader??

Just seems strange that no one on this team has stepped up and received that vote yet from Quinn.

I think Zibanejad has surpassed him in a leadership role. I think Kreider has a lot of respect in the locker room, but he seems more like a lieutenant to Zib than the man in charge.

Yes. It certainly looks like he has been giving it a look, but he doesn't have a reason to force it into being a permanent switch at the moment. It doesn't mean it wouldn't work. Actually, given DeAngelo's game and joining the rush, I think it would work extremely well to have him on his off hand on a permanent basis.

I think it's less so that he doesn't have a reason and more so that he doesn't have the means. The DeAngelo-Fox duo would be a force at even strength if they played together regularly.

I think Zibanejad has surpassed him in a leadership role. I think Kreider has a lot of respect in the locker room, but he seems more like a lieutenant to Zib than the man in charge.

I think you're right Drew. I see a lot of the players tapping Zibby after the game and on the ice he's seems to take charge more often than not. I have to keep an eye out for some more of that. I'd like Zibby as Captain.

Someone — I want to say Brooks — effectively confirmed at the start of the season that had the Rangers chosen to name a captian, Zibanejad would have been named.

Coaches on the whole seem to be married to righties in the right and vice versa

It’s nice to see that Quinn isn’t stuck on that and is at least willing to look at it.

While there is an advantage to it, if a pairing or two righties or two lefties works, it works.

I see it this way as well. We've done a pretty good job of restocking the cubbard. now's the time to pick up a versatile forward and stay at home defenseman. I think they are definitely of the mindset that whatever this group looks like in October it will be the sole focus of getting in the playoffs and starting what hopefully is several years of making some deep runs.

I should add, what I mean is that I think you're far more likely to see a Hayes for Lemieux + 1st-type deal than you are a Zucc for conditional picks-type. Specifically for Kreider, at least.

i sure hope so. the focus on our assets should be to get back guys that are ready to step in now and produce.

Hopefully Larry see's this and writes a favorable story.

I should add, what I mean is that I think you're far more likely to see a Hayes for Lemieux + 1st-type deal than you are a Zucc for conditional picks-type. Specifically for Kreider, at least.

The thing that's been stuck in the back of my head for a bit is that the player I keep coming back to as the "insert into roster" piece is Alex Galchenyuk, and I really hate that for a lot of reasons. I muddle around Tyson Jost, Christian Dvorak, Jake DeBrusk, JT Compher, but for some reason I can't shake the idea that Galchenyuk is somehow gonna be the guy.

The thing that's been stuck in the back of my head for a bit is that the player I keep coming back to as the "insert into roster" piece is Alex Galchenyuk, and I really hate that for a lot of reasons. I muddle around Tyson Jost, Christian Dvorak, Jake DeBrusk, JT Compher, but for some reason I can't shake the idea that Galchenyuk is somehow gonna be the guy.

They're not going to trade him for a soon to be UFA like Galchenyuk.

I doubt that. He's not far from UFA and he's going in the wrong direction for a team looking to enter a contention window.

17-18 — 82 games, 51 points

18-19 — 72 games, 41 points

19-20 — 73 games, 30 points (pace)

Let him go to the Senators. The Rangers need guys they can count on.

have had that same feeling about Galy.

I doubt that. He's not far from UFA and he's going in the wrong direction for a team looking to enter a contention window.

I don't want him. I just can't shake the feeling.

Hard pass. They have to do better than that - hopefully.