• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Was Panarin Worth It?

Fatfrancesa

You want threads, here you go.

The signing of Artemi Panarin for $11plus million for 7 years was applauded by most. I obviously hated it. The issue is not the talent of the player, though I do value wings as far less valuable than A center or defenseman. He?s even been off to pretty good start. Problem is this team is loaded with holes and seemingly miles away from contending. So the question then and now is the same. Was it smart to tie up so much cap space on a wing At this stage of a rebuild. How old will panarin be when this team is ready to benefit from his services and contend.

I?m posting this for conversation and for a timeline of his tenure here and how opinions evolve.

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This can't really be answered yet. It's like a developing photograph. We need more clarity on the outcome before the investment cost in the process can be properly weighed.

At face value, I'd say yes, but that's all relative to the ultimate goal, which is far too early to make a snap judgement on yet.

He better have a strong back and oversized shoulders to carry this bunch. They're banking on so many kids growing into top players and the odds of not having some guys who don't is pretty high. I just don't see some of these guys as being those kind of players. Will be interesting to see who steps up and who doesn't.

You can perhaps question the timing in terms of where the team is. But elite talent doesn't become available very often. I believe it was the right decision to pull the trigger at the time they did. There's always risk involved when making a deal like that, and hindsight will tell us if it was worth it.

No, but yes.

Yes to player. I’ll always whine about contracts.

It’s been 8 fuckin games for Christ’s sake

I'm riding with these...except I'm not into "whine"...I like the good stuff! :rofl:

It's early, Franny. We have to build around a scorer/legit scoring threat. We tried building around a goalie for the last 7 years and it's not gonna work in my eyes, my man. When Hank comes off the books after next season, we'll have more room to keep the players we'll need going forward and possibly even bring in some pieces that get us over the top.

I like watching Panarin out there right now, and I wasn't really into bringing him in at first but I've since changed my mind. I like him...and he plays with some balls! ...which you already know I like in a player.

Yes it's too early, etc. etc.

But I would also say that playing on a line without Zib is a much better measurement of where he's at. At that price tag, he should be able to carry a line. He's a lot more valuable if he makes Buch and Strome/Howden/Chytil whoever more productive.

Too many people have these illusions you can suck for 4 years, draft Crosby, Kane, Toews, and Malkin, add fillers and win cups. Here are my questions: If you don’t want Panarin, who do you want? What’s the plan without acquiring top end talent? I need more than “I don’t like the signing”. Give me a solution for this so called problem.

Too many people have these illusions you can suck for 4 years, draft Crosby, Kane, Toews, and Malkin, add fillers and win cups. Here are my questions: If you don?t want Panarin, who do you want? What?s the plan without acquiring top end talent? I need more than ?I don?t like the signing?. Give me a solution for this so called problem.
Dzingle. Or some other stop gap and hope another stud makes it to UFA at 27 and wants to play here.

That's not what I would do, but that's what was suggested.

One would have thought Kakko, Kravtsov, Cheats and Panarin would have been enough to add to Zib and be a pretty good offensive team.

Unfortunately, the effort level isn't there across the board and some guys wound up in the A.

Too many people have these illusions you can suck for 4 years, draft Crosby, Kane, Toews, and Malkin, add fillers and win cups. Here are my questions: If you don’t want Panarin, who do you want? What’s the plan without acquiring top end talent? I need more than “I don’t like the signing”. Give me a solution for this so called problem.

Byfield and someone from the 2021 first round.

All Rangers first round picks have a combined 8 points.

Dzingle. Or some other stop gap and hope another stud makes it to UFA at 27 and wants to play here.

That's not what I would do, but that's what was suggested.

One would have thought Kakko, Kravtsov, Cheats and Panarin would have been enough to add to Zib and be a pretty good offensive team.

Unfortunately, the effort level isn't there across the board and some guys wound up in the A.

I?m gonna guess that they saw that coming. Just a hunch.