• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers? Defensive Logjam Needs Breaking This Summer

Phil

Assuming that no personnel changes are made between now and next year?s training camp, the Rangers have six defensemen ? Kevin Shattenkirk, Marc Staal, Brady Skjei, Brendan Smith, Adam Fox, and Libor Hajek ? under contract who can reasonably be expected to break camp with the team next season. Given how poorly this past season?s defensive squad performed, however, this would be miles from ?improvement,? even before addressing the new extensions due to restricted free agents (RFA) Fredrik Claesson, Tony DeAngelo, and Neal Pionk.

In a word? Untenable.

Oh, and we?ve yet to broach the strengthening suggestions that New York has eyes for Erik Karlsson, and he, perhaps, eyes for New York in return.

It?s all but a foregone conclusion that the Rangers? front office will look to move multiple defenders this summer. They might even heavily entertain the idea of a buyout or two should they fear weak trade winds for players like Smith and Shattenkirk. Both Larry Brooks and Brett Cyrgalis of the New York Post have been beating the buyout drum on the latter for what feels like months now, in fact.

Karlsson or not, it?s clear that the Rangers have an awful lot of debris with diminishing value clogging up the path to their blue line, and given their desire to seemingly improve overnight, something?s gotta give.

For their most important young prospects such as K?Andre Miller and Nils Lundqvist, who are at least another year away each, that debris will likely clear in time to to blaze a path for them. But for players like Fox, Hajek, DeAngelo, or even Yegor Rykov, who reportedly signed his entry-level deal, clearing the decks some would go a long way in assuring not only they?re given legitimate chances to stick, but in would-be roles that won?t stifle their early growth ? the value of which has a visible expiration date relative to the length of their entry-level deals.

https://www.blueshirtbanter.com/2019/5/19/18631026/new-york-rangers-defensive-logjam-needs-breaking-this-summer-erik-karlsson-brendan-smith-marc-staal

I think the writing on the wall is that Shattenkirk is moved at the draft and Smith is either bought out or sent to Hartford. Staal can, and should be, a veteran leader on the third pair.

This isn't a team [or, it shouldn't be] that's trying to win tomorrow, so spread out the minutes and let everyone get a taste of every situation. See what they all can handle, and start defining roles in 20-21.

I think the writing on the wall is that Shattenkirk is moved at the draft and Smith is either bought out or sent to Hartford. Staal can, and should be, a veteran leader on the third pair.

This isn't a team [or, it shouldn't be] that's trying to win tomorrow, so spread out the minutes and let everyone get a taste of every situation. See what they all can handle, and start defining roles in 20-21.

Agreed. We've read a lot about the FO wanting to make sure the leadership is there, which is why I think Staal isn't going anywhere. Sounds like they don't want to repeat EDM in terms of not having a good team despite having good pieces, largely because they're thrown to the wolves and left to fend for themselves.

I think we are stuck with most, if not all, of that crew for the coming season. Best we can hope for is that a few of the young guys develop and show promise for the future. Karlsson is great but with his injury history and age he is not a fit. Accelerating the rebuild will hurt us long term.

I wonder how realistic something like

Skjei-Ada

Hajek-Fox

Staal-Rykov/Lindgren

would be? Wouldn't mind Claesson on the 3rd pair or as the 7th guy there either. I mean it's very young, but I'm not sure I'll miss Shatty or Smith and I don't feel like I need to see a lot more of Pionk.

Agreed with this.

I?d be careful with strapping ourselves with too many buyouts, as mentioned, next season is wait and see. We are still a few years away

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

If you're going to have to overpay someone, would rather overpay Shattenkirk in hopes he gets back to being an offensive contributor than Staal. Staal gives you nothing; no offense, not physical, really a subpar player in every way.

If you're going to have to overpay someone, would rather overpay Shattenkirk in hopes he gets back to being an offensive contributor than Staal. Staal gives you nothing; no offense, not physical, really a subpar player in every way.
Couldn't disagree more. All we have hare the same kind of offensive d and they're mostly right handed. Shattenkirk is more of same.

Staal can still defend in the zone, and the team needs that.

Couldn't disagree more. All we have hare the same kind of offensive d and they're mostly right handed. Shattenkirk is more of same.

And from what little i know, he seems respected and a leader. He?d probably be better suited as a mentor next few years.

That being said, i wouldn?t mind seeing Shatt healthy and perhaps increase his current low value

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

People have been shitting on Marc Staal for years but he’s the only plus defender in the last two seasons (collectively) and has been beyond steady. Yes, I’m sure there’s some kind of advanced stat based on zone starts or whatever that says he’s garbage but as far as being a leader and defensive defender, he’s a useful piece to a rebuilding team that has no idea how to keep the puck out of their net. I’d much rather keep him than Shattenkirk or Smith or Pionk even.

People have been shitting on Marc Staal for years but he’s the only plus defender in the last two seasons (collectively) and has been beyond steady. Yes, I’m sure there’s some kind of advanced stat based on zone starts or whatever that says he’s garbage but as far as being a leader and defensive defender, he’s a useful piece to a rebuilding team that has no idea how to keep the puck out of their net. I’d much rather keep him than Shattenkirk or Smith or Pionk even.

I think Staal built that rap sheet because he had a horrific 1-2 seasons, 3-4 years ago. I thought he was solid last year and the year before. I agree with you as I absolutely think he is a good thing to have on a 2nd/3rd pair for this team right now.

Shattenkirk could be worth something in the trade market during the season if you had him playing at a high level, scoring points, being a PP QB, etc. While he is a defensive liability,he has skills. Don't see that at all with Staal. If they mange to move Shattenkirk during the draft so be it , but doubt you could get much unless and until he plays healthy and at a high level. Really what could you expect; a 5th rounder and picking up half his salary or worse? No thanks. Once you get in season and he has played okay to better, perhaps the return would be way better plus less prorated salary.

Shattenkirk could be worth something in the trade market during the season if you had him playing at a high level, scoring points, being a PP QB, etc. While he is a defensive liability,he has skills. Don't see that at all with Staal. If they mange to move Shattenkirk during the draft so be it , but doubt you could get much unless and until he plays healthy and at a high level. Really what could you expect; a 5th rounder and picking up half his salary or worse? No thanks. Once you get in season and he has played okay to better, perhaps the return would be way better plus less prorated salary.

I hear ya, Bugg!! Right now he's probably at an all time low in value. No use selling now. May as well let him re-establish himself during the upcoming season, and possibly play himself back to value. He really can't be any worse than he's been thus far. These kids have a little ways to go and some are going to be playing in the minors this year anyway, so why not let us try to get something out of him this year.

Bringing back McQuaid represents the dumbest proposal I've seen a writer make in a long time, but then again, I thought someone was joking when I saw it announced that we were re-signing Mcleod last year.