• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

2019 NHL Entry Draft / KAKKO SZN

Phil

• Replies 906
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kakko looks completely ready for the NHL. Really excited about him. I don't know if the comparison has been made elsewhere but he strongly reminds me of Malkin....
Now we just gotta hope that he doesn't play so well in the world championships that he charms Shero into taking him.

Sent from my [device_name] using http://Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

I'm not ready to think either these guys are Crosby/McD/Matthews territory. Probably more Kane/Laine.

However, it's an easy pick and the the later first we have should keep Clark busy identifying the latest star out of England.

I'm not ready to think either these guys are Crosby/McD/Matthews territory. Probably more Kane/Laine.

However, it's an easy pick and the the later first we have should keep Clark busy identifying the latest star out of England.

The desire to be a genius is strong with Clark.

We will be reading plenty in the weeks to come that the devils may choose Kakko instead of Hughes. The gap has been closing monthly. Kakko is playing in the worlds against men while Hughes is playing in the under 18’s. If Kakko has a good tournament it will be a toss up in the end I think Hughes goes 1 because he’s a center and the devils will be terrified of passing on him only to see him as a ranger. In all honesty I’m glad we are 2 it puts it out of our hands to screw up and either way we get a really good player.

or Chytl and Andersson :lol:

Yeah, now I'm worried about that.

They drafted a kid in the 90's in first round who blew his knee out after his second week in the AHL.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=26836

Stefan, Yakupov, Daigle, Brendl.

Nothing is a given.

One time. One fucking time, I pray this works out. It has to work out.

• Like 1

We will be reading plenty in the weeks to come that the devils may choose Kakko instead of Hughes. The gap has been closing monthly. Kakko is playing in the worlds against men while Hughes is playing in the under 18?s. If Kakko has a good tournament it will be a toss up in the end I think Hughes goes 1 because he?s a center and the devils will be terrified of passing on him only to see him as a ranger. In all honesty I?m glad we are 2 it puts it out of our hands to screw up and either way we get a really good player.
Lias Andersson played in the WC last year.

Sent from my [device_name] using http://Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Incredible. Our first top 3 pick ever! (pre 69 was not a true amateur draft). In what would appear to be a good draft year no less! Nothing is a given, and many top 2 picks have been busts, but this is a fabulous chance to have our first elite skater from the get go since Leetch joined the team in 1988. I just turned on the NHL network when I got home and saw "Devils get first pick" in the corner and was pissed and convinced the world is against us. I spent several hours gnashing my teeth before going on line and getting this shocking news!

He's expected to be better than Nash. Much better vision, IQ and playmaking ability. The rest is similar. Personally I think he'll be a center in the NHL. His game is perfect for it and he played there some in the Finnish league this season. Four goals in four games as a center, but went back to wing because he had chemistry with another player. I'll be interested to hear the teams thoughts when he's drafted.

Not talent-wise, although it's not totally outrageous because Kakko is a generational talent, but I think style-wise, Jagr probably is the best comparison for his game. But with defense actually. His offensive style and what he wants to do in the offensive zone is Jagr. Hands, strength, shooting ability, IQ, vision. It's all there.

I'm actually really hoping he doesn't have a huge showing at World's just so the Devil don't get tempted. I like Kakko over Hughes by a wide margin. Hughes has tons of talent, but is small, weak, injury prone, less proven, not a two way player and will take much longer to adapt to the NHL.

Not talent-wise, although it's not totally outrageous because Kakko is a generational talent, but I think style-wise, Jagr probably is the best comparison for his game. But with defense actually. His offensive style and what he wants to do in the offensive zone is Jagr. Hands, strength, shooting ability, IQ, vision. It's all there.

I'm actually really hoping he doesn't have a huge showing at World's just so the Devil don't get tempted. I like Kakko over Hughes by a wide margin. Hughes has tons of talent, but is small, weak, injury prone, less proven, not a two way player and will take much longer to adapt to the NHL.

Injury prone? To my knowledge he hasn?t had any more injuries than Kakko. As far as generational....I?m not sure what the standard is then.

Mcdavid is generational, Matthews is close. Kakko is not generational.

All Comparisons of Kakko are of Laine, just 4 inches shorter. The other comparison i read is Barkov.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

That's what the Pronman's and Wheelers are saying.

2 excellent young players who will contribute a lot to their franchises. But not in the generational tier necessarily.

I'm absolutely over the moon with this. We'll get a fantastic player either way. And whilst I understand the fear of Rangers reaching and going off the board, to my memory they have never done something comparable to passing on Kakko/Hughes at #2 this year. It is such a clear divide between two elite prospects and a 7 or 8 good ones. Passing on one of those guys would be insane. I mean, it would be comparable to something like Buffalo taking Barrett Hayton at #1 last year.

All Comparisons of Kakko are of Laine, just 4 inches shorter. The other comparison i read is Barkov.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

He's very different from Laine going by what I've read. Plays a very complete game, isn't seen as a sniper but scores his goals from going hard to the net and playing smart.

Barkov might be a better comparison style wise although I haven't really read much at all about Kakko's defensive game.

Also, this just in from Pronman:

Pronman’s take: In Kakko, the Rangers get as close to an NHL ready forward as you’ll typically get as a U18 player. Kakko is a highly skilled and competitive winger who will create chances and win battles versus NHL defenders right away. He could step in and be a top-nine, if not a top-six, forward immediately and down the road a star. He’s exactly what their rebuild needed: a true impact prospect they can build around.

How can there be two generational talents every year? LMAO.

I get your point, but let's not pretend it doesn't happen on occasion. The 04 and 05 drafts produced three generational talents between them

This one reads more to me like two great, elite players, possibly franchise defining, but not generational.