• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

"Rangers will be diving into UFA waters,"

Phil

?I think what?s really interesting is how Strome, after kind of falling out in Edmonton, has found a role there,? began Friedman. ?I think he?s been a little bit revived in New York. That?s a good sign for them.

?It?s going to be an interesting summer for those guys because they?re going into the free agent waters, and they?re not going to be tip-toeing in - they?re going to be diving in. I think it?ll be interesting to see Panarin, I think they?re going to take a big run at him. We?ll see what else is out there.

https://www.nicholsonhockey.com/archives/2019/3/15/friedman-rangers-will-be-diving-into-ufa-waters

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Someone needs to do a welfare check on FatFrancesa...this article might put him over the edge.

Im fine. I totally expect it. There are reasons why 94 will have to last a lifetime. History repeats itself again and again. What do they say about people who don’t learn from it?

Hopefully the players won’t want to play for a bad team and they will save he rangers from themselves.

Im fine. I totally expect it. There are reasons why 94 will have to last a lifetime. History repeats itself again and again. What do they say about people who don?t learn from it?

Hopefully the players won?t want to play for a bad team and they will save he rangers from themselves.

Unfortunately money talks

Im fine. I totally expect it. There are reasons why 94 will have to last a lifetime. History repeats itself again and again. What do they say about people who don’t learn from it?

Hopefully the players won’t want to play for a bad team and they will save he rangers from themselves.

so this team is like the 94 team?

And if history repeats itself, shouldnt we go after guys like the 93-94 team did?

Is Friedman making this assertion on inside information or is it another expectation based on past inclination of the Rangers to pursue big fish?

Most likely both. He and Kypreos have linked Panarin to the Rangers since the beginning, so there's plenty there to work with.

Gotta stay the course...Franny. I'm with you my man!

Rebuild the system, and restock the youth that has been depleted or hasn't panned out. I'm still figuring on another year or 2 before we can or should go out and start buying. These young players need to develop yet. and I don't think anyone really knows what these kids are going to turn into just yet. The good thing is that we see some good signs from some of them.

We have some good chances to draft some promising talent this off season, and next season we should have some other aging assets and UFA's that may need to be sold off (ie: Kreider) to garner a few more high picks, hopefully.

Bottom line is we're going to have to suck it up for a year or 2 more in order to do this correctly. I'm on board with it, and I don't feel as if signing guys like Panarin or Karlsson are going get this current team anyplace. This team needs to be revamped and restocked from the ground up, and it's not going to be anywhere near "instant gratification". But if we exhibit some patience (which you're right....NEVER HAPPENS), we could build a perennially good franchise again and contend pretty much every year for a cup.

Or maybe they should have just drafted their own Messier instead of trading for him /s

Of course that silly salary cap didn’t exist then and the rangers weren’t in tear down mode when they traded for him but hey who’s counting? Just add panarin and Karlsson to this group and presto you’ve got a contender. Call it the nba model or the Edmonton model to success. Two stars to decorate the shit that is the rest of the roster.

There is one thing I know about Rangers draft picks, and history is repeating itself!

They haven’t started trading them yet so not sure how much it’s reoeating yet. I’m sure that will next though. Amazing how quickly the patience for rebuild has worn off.

Of course that silly salary cap didn’t exist then and the rangers weren’t in tear down mode when they traded for him but hey who’s counting? Just add panarin and Karlsson to this group and presto you’ve got a contender. Call it the nba model or the Edmonton model to success. Two stars to decorate the shit that is the rest of the roster.

Give me the road map to success that has worked for every team. Say they did tear it down to the studs and keep drafting relatively high. Has this been proven to be successful time and again? I understand you preaching patience. I get it. But like has been said over and over, Panarin is still young. This isn't bringing Brad Richards in at this point. This is bringing another player like Zibanejad in.

There is more than one way to develop a winner. You're adamant that the only way is to keep reloading on youth. I think that, coupled with the right free agents, is the right way. Who knows which of us or either of us is right? Time will tell I guess.

Wonder if the Rangers will look to add a Marleu-type. Calling Vesey and Kreider veterans is a bit of a stretch.

The only two who I think you can make a strong case for are Pavelski and Williams. Everyone else is either Doan'd (only willing to play for current team or retirement) or bad.

Give me the road map to success that has worked for every team. Say they did tear it down to the studs and keep drafting relatively high. Has this been proven to be successful time and again? I understand you preaching patience. I get it. But like has been said over and over, Panarin is still young. This isn't bringing Brad Richards in at this point. This is bringing another player like Zibanejad in.

There is more than one way to develop a winner. You're adamant that the only way is to keep reloading on youth. I think that, coupled with the right free agents, is the right way. Who knows which of us or either of us is right? Time will tell I guess.

I’m fine with bringing free agents to supplement what they do have. I’m just not for 7 year commitments that more than likely carry no trade clauses. The fact is this team is building towards the future, not next year. That doesn’t mean I’m throwing away next season. If pavelski is looking to move I’d see him on a three or four year deal as ok if you want to add something. I’d be fine with zucc coming back again at 3 years or so. I’m not on board for tanking. I want to try and win every game and I agree that it would be beneficial to bring some solid guys in here.

That is a far cry though from committing $11-12m a year for 7 years to guys. I want some clarity to what’s here. As of now they have really two guys that you can rely on being core guys going forward. I just think tying up that kind of money at this point is not smart. It won’t hurt the next three years or so but after that it might. Also it could possibly leave them out of the running to take advantage of a future situation that is unforeseen. Teams fall out favor for all kinds of reasons with really good players. Having the cap space is key to take advantage. When you commit 1/4 of you cap to two guys it really hinders your ability to capitalize on what’s to come. I know we can’t predict that. It’s hard for me to imagine the rangers committing to those too basically for the next decade. The rangers have entered into bad contract after bad contract. Right now the risk of that compared to the reward for the next three of fours years is overwhelming. By the time this team catches up to those two in terms of being ready, what will they be? Nobody can honestly answer that Karlsson or panarin four years from now will still be elite players. Yet they will be paid as such. It’s like installing new windows but glueing them shut

Archived