• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

What if They Don't Lose Like We Expect?

jsm7302

Looking at our upcoming roster; I sure hope they are able to learn and grow this year. I hope the goal is to grab another top ten pick. HOWEVER....

What if they win more than we expect and sit in the middle of the pack; what effects will that have on deadline day? Who will be sold to keep this rebuild going?

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think that, even if they are on the playoff bubble, that they will be buyers by any stretch. Maybe not big time sellers.

But say they sit a couple of points out of a playoff spot. I think it sends a bad message to the 'kids' if we start selling off players. It was fine when we did it this past season (I believe we were only a point out of the playoffs at the time of the infamous letter?) because we didn't plan on keeping most of the players anyway. If a team full of young players comes in this season, and rides a wave of confidence strong enough to get them to contend for a playoff spot, the last thing I'd want management to do is show no faith in them. As great as having another very high pick would be, I believe we've brought in a lot of young players and prospects that, if they are doing well enough (and us being on the playoff bubble would mean they are) I don't think it's worth tanking that kind of quick progress for another draft pick.

I think what they do come deadline day would not just depend on position in standings, but also what their current state is. If they happened to get off to a flukey good start, followed by a prolonged miserable stretch, I think their mindset will be more geared towards selling. If they started OK and progressed as the season wore on, showing signs of building momentum and progressive development out of the young players, I could see them standing pat or becoming very minor buyers (i.e., think 3rd round for a Grabner kind of veteran depth move).

I don't see them selling or trading any picks in the first 2 rounds in any scenario, barring some incredibly unrealistic and unforeseen success (top 2-3 seed).

I don't think that, even if they are on the playoff bubble, that they will be buyers by any stretch. Maybe not big time sellers.

But say they sit a couple of points out of a playoff spot. I think it sends a bad message to the 'kids' if we start selling off players. It was fine when we did it this past season (I believe we were only a point out of the playoffs at the time of the infamous letter?) because we didn't plan on keeping most of the players anyway. If a team full of young players comes in this season, and rides a wave of confidence strong enough to get them to contend for a playoff spot, the last thing I'd want management to do is show no faith in them. As great as having another very high pick would be, I believe we've brought in a lot of young players and prospects that, if they are doing well enough (and us being on the playoff bubble would mean they are) I don't think it's worth tanking that kind of quick progress for another draft pick.

I couldn't disagree with this more. It doesn't send a bad message. It sends the right one. That they're committed to this thing, truly, and that the kids are the future. Moving guys out opens spots for MORE youth.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

I couldn't disagree with this more. It doesn't send a bad message. It sends the right one. That they're committed to this thing, truly, and that the kids are the future. Moving guys out opens spots for MORE youth.

who knows, that might be the next step in the rebuild. We'll have at least 3 or 4 games before we can worry if we are going to be buyers or sellers at the deadline.

I highly doubt Avs, the Devils and the Knights expected to be where they were in the standings.

When I say sell, I'm simply talking about doing right by the rebuild and getting something for something while they can. Hayes and Zuccarello at the very least. If they're bad, sell even more. But even Namestnikov, Spooner, and Vesey are all on two-year deals. If you can get good value, you move them, too. They're not part of the long-term look anyway.

When I say sell, I'm simply talking about doing right by the rebuild and getting something for something while they can. Hayes and Zuccarello at the very least. If they're bad, sell even more. But even Namestnikov, Spooner, and Vesey are all on two-year deals. If you can get good value, you move them, too. They're not part of the long-term look anyway.

If they are firmly in playoff position, say 4th-6th, then the rebuild is probably effectively over and they would likely be looking to re-sign some guys more than trade them. Reason being is that those guys will have to perform well in order for this cinderella story to play out. We won't want to trade them. Imagine for a second that Hayes is on pace for 30 goals/60 points come trade deadline and the team is sitting 4th-6th. You are talking resigning not trading, as he has become a cog on the team.

The likelihood of them being in that position and it being legitimate (as in not fueled by insane stand-on-his-head play from Lundqvist or like a rash of injuries from everyone else in the East) is slim to none.

I'd still trade Hayes in that scenario, also.

This is all hypothetical. I don't think anybody here believes the Rangers will find themselves in this situation.

I am far from a Kevin Hayes advocate, but if the scenario plays out as described (4th-6th seed, Hayes at a 60 pt pace), that should be a strong indication to keep him (still young at 27 going into 2019 season). I understand you are in favor of trading any- and everything, but there's a fine line between when a team should be trading to open up holes for unknown youth versus holding to keep a young, competitive team intact. The scenario described is almost definitely the latter and not the former.

Being on the bubble will hopefully not change what they need to do imo. However, I would keep Zucc and extend him on a 3-4 year deal. I think he brings something this team desperately needs and will continue to need. Swing that axe as Phil said.

* Assuming Zib, Kreider, Zucc and Fast aren't on the block. I'm just not sure anybody has much value other than Hayes and that would be as a rental.

I don't see them waiting till the deadline to make these moves. First injury, or poor start for any sort of contending team, I think the Rangers are working the phone. Hayes and Zucc are hopefully known to be on the block.

This team won't know what direction they are going in (season wise) when they move the impending UFA's.

The likelihood of them being in that position and it being legitimate (as in not fueled by insane stand-on-his-head play from Lundqvist or like a rash of injuries from everyone else in the East) is slim to none.

I'd still trade Hayes in that scenario, also.

Agree on Hayes. His worth will never be higher if that were the case. Add in that his next contract would be an overpayment, and long in term. Somewhat says rebuild is over and that they are going with Hayes over the kids.

I like Hayes. I'd have liked to have kept him long-term. But they clearly chose not to, and really, one of he or Zibanejad was likely to be moved in the next year or so anyway to make room for Andersson and Chytil, not to mention the rest of the young centers who the team would be stupid to shut out.

I think every single thing Gorton has done since the letter points to an organization 100% committed to a proper rebuild.

They will be sellers no matter what, and rightly so.

The idea that this team are going to be in a position around the deadline where they have to make a decision is total la la land stuff imo.

Well what I meant by that is that, for the young players already on the team, it'd basically send a message that management is not confident in them to get it done. And if we were in that position where we are at the playoff bubble, it'd really only be because those kids were outperforming expectations already.

edit: with that said, I might be inclined to agree with your point on Hayes. He is in that sweet spot of likely having a lot of value while at the same time not being so absolutely essential to our success (unless he has some kind of insane breakout contract year) where we as a team (and again, in the hypothetical where we are at least on the playoff bubble) would get a lot worse without him.

I think every single thing Gorton has done since the letter points to an organization 100% committed to a proper rebuild.

They will be sellers no matter what, and rightly so.

The idea that this team are going to be in a position around the deadline where they have to make a decision is total la la land stuff imo.

you're probably right, but it's August and it's just a hypothetical discussion

Archived