• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

The New "Home Improvement" Thread

The Dude

I did privacy bushes and now we want a fence instead.

Fence l for sure. With some nice shrubs lining.

Fence is always better

My wife and I were leaning this way. Was kind of curious what the sentiment was. I always thought I'd just do privacy shrubs, but with a kid and thinking about a dog in the future...on a corner lot too...a fence is making more sense. Strongly considering vinyl instead of wood, if we can foot the additional cost.

My wife and I were leaning this way. Was kind of curious what the sentiment was. I always thought I'd just do privacy shrubs, but with a kid and thinking about a dog in the future...on a corner lot too...a fence is making more sense. Strongly considering vinyl instead of wood, if we can foot the additional cost.

With a dog it’s a no brainer- even with a fence they some how get out if they’re smart enough. But shrubs wouldn’t hold a dog in.

I always feel like wood fences look miles better than the vinyl ones unless you get the reallly high end vinyl ones (and really with some tlc they’ll last a long while too) but I get why people go for the vinyl.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Black works with everything.

Nothing wrong with that- just curious what made you go with vinyl plank rather than say wood flooring?

We currently have wood floors, however they are completely worn out. We want to go with a bit more of a modern look. More options in the type of color of flooring we want, plus easy install (just going on top of current floor), and cost.

With a dog it’s a no brainer- even with a fence they some how get out if they’re smart enough. But shrubs wouldn’t hold a dog in.

I always feel like wood fences look miles better than the vinyl ones unless you get the reallly high end vinyl ones (and really with some tlc they’ll last a long while too) but I get why people go for the vinyl.

How much work is the maintenance for wood fencing? Power wash every couple of years or what?

We currently have wood floors, however they are completely worn out. We want to go with a bit more of a modern look. More options in the type of color of flooring we want, plus easy install (just going on top of current floor), and cost.

You can always have someone come in sand, and stain them to any color you want (more or less). Unless they’ve been sanded before then yea you need to replace.

This can often be a lot more economical depending on the condition of your wood.

Unless you guys just want something completely different then have at it.

How much work is the maintenance for wood fencing? Power wash every couple of years or what?

I’d say power wash every year or two, depending on how much dirt accumulates in your particular yard, no matter what material it’s made out. I actually feel like the vinyl/plastic fences tend to look worse with dirt than wood fences do actually.

But with wood you probably want to slap a coat of stain on there once in a while (again depending on how good you want it to look I’d say probably once every 3-5 years depending on wear) to keep it looking good and keep it from getting water and uv damaged. My in laws haven’t stained their wood fence in a good 5 years and it looks worn in but is fine structurally.

I’d also have someone come and professionally install it. It’s not as easy as it seems to do.

Check your local variances because I know corner lots either only allow 4’ fences or a certain distance away from the road. You could always add privacy bushes on one side of the fence for added privacy or for nice landscaping lining, something fast growing like thuja greens or Leyland Cypress. Plant them small because they are inexpensive then and they will grow real fast, about 2’ a year.

Should I get a fence or plant some privacy bushes? I can't really do trees because my property has a septic tank with drain fields that will get messed up by invasive roots. Being outside the city lines is great for lower property taxes, but not so much on the topic of planting trees in the yard.

How big is your yard?

And is a fence between house/road or between neighbors?

Check your local variances because I know corner lots either only allow 4’ fences or a certain distance away from the road. You could always add privacy bushes on one side of the fence for added privacy or for nice landscaping lining, something fast growing like thuja greens or Leyland Cypress. Plant them small because they are inexpensive then and they will grow real fast, about 2’ a year.

Thanks. Having trouble finding anything definitive for Raleigh. I did see some neighboring towns that do indeed have that restriction for corner lots. I'll have to ask a fencing company. There are two corner lot houses in my development that have a fence (>4' for sure) down the side of their yard that faces the road, so I'm guessing we'd be ok. HOA limits to 5' anyway.

How big is your yard?

And is a fence between house/road or between neighbors?

Half acre, but the amount of yard I want to fence in is maybe .3. The fence would run between us and the neighbors to the side and back, and down the side of the property which is along the side road. There'd be a good 15' between the road and the fence, and probably 30-35' between the corner right of way easement for vision and where the fence starts on that side. I can't imagine it'd be a problem, but who knows.

Half acre, but the amount of yard I want to fence in is maybe .3. The fence would run between us and the neighbors to the side and back, and down the side of the property which is along the side road. There'd be a good 15' between the road and the fence, and probably 30-35' between the corner right of way easement for vision and where the fence starts on that side. I can't imagine it'd be a problem, but who knows.

I just ask because I hated friends with fenced in yards. Felt like we could never do anything, as kids.

Loved open yards, running around, etc.

Old house had a fenced in backyard, which is fine if you're a lazy dog owner - but all the yard were a bit smaller [than ours] and everyone had fences - must be a 70s thing.

House now has shrubs on one side - fuck those people, I have to chop the shit down thats on my side? Fuck you, you now have trees growing through that shit. The back neighbor has a fenced in back yard, so the back is blocked off. This is a chain fence - but he's tried to plant privacy bushes three times along the fence and everything dies. LMAO.

The one side without a fence seems so much more free. We are closer with that neighbor, but it just feels like there is so much more room. Not worried about a ball going a few feet into her yard, etc.

I think it's the backgrounds from growing up, but with fences, it seems like all the houses are on top of eachother, and I almost feel like there is less privacy (because it adds to the perspective that everyone is living on top of each other)

I just ask because I hated friends with fenced in yards. Felt like we could never do anything, as kids.

Loved open yards, running around, etc.

Old house had a fenced in backyard, which is fine if you're a lazy dog owner - but all the yard were a bit smaller [than ours] and everyone had fences - must be a 70s thing.

House now has shrubs on one side - fuck those people, I have to chop the shit down thats on my side? Fuck you, you now have trees growing through that shit. The back neighbor has a fenced in back yard, so the back is blocked off. This is a chain fence - but he's tried to plant privacy bushes three times along the fence and everything dies. LMAO.

The one side without a fence seems so much more free. We are closer with that neighbor, but it just feels like there is so much more room. Not worried about a ball going a few feet into her yard, etc.

I think it's the backgrounds from growing up, but with fences, it seems like all the houses are on top of eachother, and I almost feel like there is less privacy (because it adds to the perspective that everyone is living on top of each other)

Chain link fences are incredibly ugly IMO. I would never get one. My development's HOA wouldn't even allow that.

I have a decent sized yard. Large enough for things like a playground set, trampoline, etc., and plenty of room to spare down the line for playing. But I'm still a bit worried about it feeling "boxed in". Neither of the neighbors have a fence so it's kind of open right now, which I like and dislike at the same time. My wife wants a fence so bad though. Says it will be so much more private and easier to let our son go out back without worrying about him running off somewhere he shouldn't. Is that lazy? IDK, the kid is nonstop and I wouldn't want to stay on him like white on rice for hours on end in the yard either. So I get it.

Our neighbors to the side of us also just got a dog and he barks whenever he sees anyone outside, so anytime we go out and he sees us it's constant barking. Fuck the neighbors if they don't like the fence. I don't like their barky dog.

I'm still on the fence about getting one though...pun intended

Chain link fences are incredibly ugly IMO. I would never get one. My development's HOA wouldn't even allow that.

I have a decent sized yard. Large enough for things like a playground set, trampoline, etc., and plenty of room to spare down the line for playing. But I'm still a bit worried about it feeling "boxed in". Neither of the neighbors have a fence so it's kind of open right now, which I like and dislike at the same time. My wife wants a fence so bad though. Says it will be so much more private and easier to let our son go out back without worrying about him running off somewhere he shouldn't. Is that lazy? IDK, the kid is nonstop and I wouldn't want to stay on him like white on rice for hours on end in the yard either. So I get it.

Our neighbors to the side of us also just got a dog and he barks whenever he sees anyone outside, so anytime we go out and he sees us it's constant barking. Fuck the neighbors if they don't like the fence. I don't like their barky dog.

It's pretty much a must have for kids and pets, for the reasons you outlined. I don't need my dog bolting for a squirrel in the years behind mine. Nothing to do with laziness. We walk him, but we also spend hours in the yard where I don't want to leash my dog, or my kid.

kids running off are a short-term thing.

Dogs behind a fence can be worse - if they can see, hear something, they are barking. My dog used to harass the shit out of our old neighbor's dad. She just trolled him because she knew he hated her.

If it's for privacy, make sure it's tall enough. Our yards slope in the back, so if I'm sitting on my deck, I can still see into all the yards with fences.

It's pretty much a must have for kids and pets, for the reasons you outlined. I don't need my dog bolting for a squirrel in the years behind mine. Nothing to do with laziness. We walk him, but we also spend hours in the yard where I don't want to leash my dog, or my kid.

the people that just let the dog out, and it sits there barking for 3 hours. that's laziness.

Which, I assume, there's more people get a dog fence for vs those people sitting outside with their dog next to them worrying about a squirrel.

We remortgaged and have our signing on Saturday. We're down to our final two choices after narrowing down from 8-9 companies giving estimates for a new back paver patio, a new front stoop, and a new asphalt driveway. We are beyond excited for the new additions to our home. Even though I am terrified of the mess it is going to make of my perfect thick green lawn lol.

Gonna start a kitchen renovation soon. Thanks to selling Dogecoin at 40 cents, it got us financially to where we need to be (Should have held on to it a little longer!)

The old owners had top of the line everything. Except that everything is all between 30-50 years old. The appliances are finally starting to kick. Oven is busted (at least we can grill). Need a new range top (Its the kind thats built into the counter, oven is a wall oven)

Cabinets are actually in immaculate condition, so we're gonna keep those which saves us a ton of money. hoping to make it a simple process of just, new countertop, new appliances. Issue is gonna be electrical since I'm sure none of the wiring is up to current codes/standards and just a general expectation of things costing way more than they should.

Last contractor I had had a guy on his crew come in who was very clearly a neo-nazi, so maybe we'll go with a more reputable guy this time lol

Gonna start a kitchen renovation soon. Thanks to selling Dogecoin at 40 cents, it got us financially to where we need to be (Should have held on to it a little longer!)

The old owners had top of the line everything. Except that everything is all between 30-50 years old. The appliances are finally starting to kick. Oven is busted (at least we can grill). Need a new range top (Its the kind thats built into the counter, oven is a wall oven)

Cabinets are actually in immaculate condition, so we're gonna keep those which saves us a ton of money. hoping to make it a simple process of just, new countertop, new appliances. Issue is gonna be electrical since I'm sure none of the wiring is up to current codes/standards and just a general expectation of things costing way more than they should.

Last contractor I had had a guy on his crew come in who was very clearly a neo-nazi, so maybe we'll go with a more reputable guy this time lol

Kitchens can be money pits, good that you dont have to replace everything. Be surprised what a nice coat of paint or a sanding/staining will do for old cabinets.

nice about the dogecoin. still holding my 600+ shares at 55cents at the moment and debating if i should sell or not lol

Kitchens can be money pits, good that you dont have to replace everything. Be surprised what a nice coat of paint or a sanding/staining will do for old cabinets.

nice about the dogecoin. still holding my 600+ shares at 55cents at the moment and debating if i should sell or not lol

kinda kicking myself for not holding a bit longer lol. I held on to some but that's mostly in case it turns into the next bitcoin in 7 years.

How much in taxes will you have to pay for selling for I'm assuming quite a profit?