• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers Draft [RW] Vitali Kravtsov in 1st Rd. (9th) Pick

Drew a Penalty

Sure.

I think the best would be for him to stay in the KHL and get another full season at a very high level. Hopefully not buried on a checking line for most of the regular season like he was this season. My only worry is whether they’ll invest in him knowing he’ll be off next summer anyway.

However, from a personal perspective, unleashing a Buch-Chytil-Kravtsov line on the NHL next season would be fucking brilliant and make it worth tuning in every night.

• Replies 383
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It probably is.

But I can see the temptation to bring him over straight away. Let?s be honest; if you?re good enough to be a top 6 guy for a final 4 team in the KHL there?s a good to fair chance you?re making our roster next season.

Not a chance

He?s a long way from our roster.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

He played a top 6 role for a final 4 team in the 2nd best league in the world. It wouldn?t be that much of a stretch to suggest he has a shot at making one of the worst rosters in the NHL.

We will see.

And there are a lot of top line players in the KHL who aren?t NHL quality, in fact the majority of them.

And the fact it would probably not benefit his development.

Chytil made our roster out of camp. He's more refined than Chytil.

It doesn't make contractual sense to have him burn a year, though.

He has greater potential than Chytil, that?s what is exciting about the pick. But from everything I?ve read is that he is raw..

Which is the opposite of more refined and NHL ready

He should stay in the KHL and get more success on his home court. Unlike Wahlstrom, who has really distinguished himself as a goal scorer, Kravtsov is still a bundle of potential and premium tools that had a great playoffs. Let him loose for a year - out from under ice time strictures for kids - and see what he can do before changing countries, cultures, and systems.

Love this idea, but by no means want to suggest it is the best thing because I don't know enough.

For instance, how would staying in the KHL versus AHL burn an extra year? What is the kids timeframe, is he interested in learning the language here, right away? Is he just jacked to get out of Russia or would he think it is good to stay home another year? Those should be the biggest factors.

We will see.

And there are a lot of top line players in the KHL who aren’t NHL quality, in fact the majority of them.

And the fact it would probably not benefit his development.

I don’t think it’s necessarily true “the majority of KHL top line players aren’t NHL quality”. In any case, I already said I think it would be best for him to stay there another year.

But, if you assume Buch and Kreider are our first line wingers, there really is fuck all after that in terms of dynamic wingers. I’m not saying it’s a lock, but I don’t think it’s too much of a stretch either.

Being that no one here ever had this guy as a possibility at 9 before we drafted him. I’m going to say nobody here knows the best way to develop him or can even say what he is or will be. Honestly who here has seen this kid play more than a game total at best?
  • Like 1

Kravtsov became a hockey player in Chelyabinsk. The fact is, he looks exactly like a player typical of that organization. He’s got very good technique and is a smooth skater. To many, it reminds them of the style of a recent Stanley Cup champion in Yevgeni Kuznetsov. Many experts draw comparison between the two players.

Kravtsov started the 2017-18 campaign with an injury, a problem that pretty much costed him a spot in the Russian WJC roster. He had a rocky start to the season after recovering from a broken wrist that kept him out for seven weeks. He didn’t loo like himself until the second half of the season. Kravtsov ended the regular season below expectations, with four goals and three assist. But the playoffs certainly made up for that.

https://www.eliteprospects.com/article/vitali-kravtsov-in-the-footsteps-of-yevgeni-kuznetsov

Being that no one here ever had this guy as a possibility at 9 before we drafted him. I’m going to say nobody here knows the best way to develop him or can even say what he is or will be. Honestly who here has seen this kid play more than a game total at best?

I think that's all fair. (Fortunately, I did listen to the HockeyProspect ratings podcast on the train on Saturday afternoon with its #6 overall ranking and flowery praise, so when I watched the pick I had something to fall back on rather than pure shock.) Obviously the coaching staff will want to check in with that of Traktor to evaluate how Kravtsov would be used and what kind of coaching he would get and any number of those questions could result in the Rangers wanting to get him here pronto. We don't have that expertise or those answers. I'd just like to see the kid succeed in his home environment before he's out trying to conquer the world - and the girls in Times Square. And for whatever reason, he hasn't really done that yet over a full season.

Lots of folks had him as a potential top-10 pick. He was a late riser, but he didn't sneak up on anybody.

He has greater potential than Chytil, that’s what is exciting about the pick. But from everything I’ve read is that he is raw..

Which is the opposite of more refined and NHL ready

I don't think the organization looks at him as particularly raw. In his presser, Clarke talked about how he has a really good hockey sense and has the ability to make snap decisions and make a play when there's nothing there. He said he doesn't think Kravtsov is ready yet, specifically, but the way he spoke didn't sound like they thought he was that far off.

He also compared him favorably, at this point, to Kuznetsov.

My impression from both Gorton?s interview and Kravtov?s was that his future will be determined at rookie camp as neither side seems to be sure if he?s ready. I believe it was said that his agent would be in NY at the end of the week to discuss options.

I have no problem with him staying in Russia but I also like the AHL route as it?s still good competition and he gets to transition to an NHL sized rink at a lower level.

Being that no one here ever had this guy as a possibility at 9 before we drafted him. I?m going to say nobody here knows the best way to develop him or can even say what he is or will be. Honestly who here has seen this kid play more than a game total at best?

I believe Josh mentioned selecting him prior to the draft. Edit: actually so did Dunny, saying it would be a steal.

Lots of folks had him as a potential top-10 pick. He was a late riser, but he didn't sneak up on anybody.
This is revisionist history. He might have been in top 10 forwards. But not overall. At least not for "lots" of folks.

• 2 weeks later...