• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

David Quinn Officially Named Rangers' Head Coach

Phil

Mobile link:https://twitter.com/NYRangers/status/999349263808258053

Mobile link:

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If it is Quinn then why did it take so long? At least keefe is still in the playoffs and that was why I was hoping it was him.

Why this long of being silent if just for Quinn?

ESPN says he told BU that he would be leaving to coach Rangers and then said the deal wasn't done because JG is in Denmark. ? .

Sent from my [device_name] using http://Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

ESPN says he told BU that he would be leaving to coach Rangers and then said the deal wasn't done because JG is in Denmark. ? .

Sent from my [device_name] using http://Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Oh I understand about nothing official until JG gets back over here, but i mean the weeks of silence up to now? When this coach was available for so long?

I don't mind this hire if it is what it is! I was just hoping for the leaf's farm club coach.

Oh I understand about nothing official until JG gets back over here, but i mean the weeks of silence up to now? When this coach was available for so long?

I don't mind this hire if it is what it is! I was just hoping for the leaf's farm club coach.

Maybe it was just the Rangers doing their due diligence? Whatever the case sometimes these things take a little time. I have no problem with the timing or the selection. He fits exactly what the Rangers said they'd be looking at and the selection was made before the draft or free agency (neither of which I'm sure he won't have a huge amount of input in).

Maybe it was just the Rangers doing their due diligence? Whatever the case sometimes these things take a little time. I have no problem with the timing or the selection. He fits exactly what the Rangers said they'd be looking at and the selection was made before the draft or free agency (neither of which I'm sure he won't have a huge amount of input in).

OK!

He was not my 1-A choice but he was my 1-B choice! So we have a happy Skunk in Nebraska!:pbjtime::thumbs::clap:

He encourages physicality and did not want to put the wraps on Tkachuk and stifle his style, even though they didn't want him taking dumb penalties.

BTW, he originally broke in as a coach in Nebraska.

Ouch! For the stars or the Lancers? The embarrased Skunk needs to know!

From what I glean from brighter minds is he's a rock solid recruiter (best in the NCAA, even), and a wonderful grooming coach (perfect for development). Struggles some with X's and O's, but that's a factor that can mitigated with one or two key assistant hires.

I wanted Keefe, but I'm fine with this. That said, an underappreciated element to landing Quinn?again, known for being a fantastic NCAA recruiter?is how well that could mesh with a NYR org who have been awfully active drafting college players and in signing NCAA UFAs over the years.

I also think, better or worse, it could see NYR push to move to 4 in order to land Tkachuk. I hope not, but I could certainly see him being their guy now.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

First, I'll lead with the fact that I know nothing about the man. All my comments are based solely on what I've read here and on Twitter.

I'm not a fan of this at all. It reeks of someone like Trottier (completely out of his depth).

An NHL coach's job is not to recruit players. The fact that it's the best thing anyone can say about him makes me nervous. I don't think we have really had trouble recruiting NCAA talent. Hayes and Vesey came here, and we have so many holes that it's already a prime destination for anyone who wants to jump into the NHL immediately. It's the reason Hayes didn't sign in Chicago and the reason Vesey came here instead of TO or BOS.

As has been said here and on multiple outlets, the story on him seems to be that he hasn't gotten the most out of the talent at his disposal. Another red flag.

I'm also confused by how he can be a perfect developmental coach, but struggles with X's and O's. Someone with a coaching background (Jay? Mike?) please unpack that for me because I have no idea what that means. I could understand someone who knows how they want the team to play and has a system, but isn't the best at video and dissecting the play or something like that...but I also wouldn't call that person a good developmental coach.

5 years just seems awfully long here. 3 would have been better. I don't think he makes it past year 2 .

First, I'll lead with the fact that I know nothing about the man. All my comments are based solely on what I've read here and on Twitter.

I'm not a fan of this at all. It reeks of someone like Trottier (completely out of his depth).

An NHL coach's job is not to recruit players. The fact that it's the best thing anyone can say about him makes me nervous. I don't think we have really had trouble recruiting NCAA talent. Hayes and Vesey came here, and we have so many holes that it's already a prime destination for anyone who wants to jump into the NHL immediately. It's the reason Hayes didn't sign in Chicago and the reason Vesey came here instead of TO or BOS.

As has been said here and on multiple outlets, the story on him seems to be that he hasn't gotten the most out of the talent at his disposal. Another red flag.

I'm also confused by how he can be a perfect developmental coach, but struggles with X's and O's. Someone with a coaching background (Jay? Mike?) please unpack that for me because I have no idea what that means. I could understand someone who knows how they want the team to play and has a system, but isn't the best at video and dissecting the play or something like that...but I also wouldn't call that person a good developmental coach.

5 years just seems awfully long here. 3 would have been better. I don't think he makes it past year 2 .

It’s not a NHL head coach’s job to develop players. That’s for guys like me and Jay, and then up the ranks at the next level. Lower age levels keep preparing them for the next age level. NHL is the end game. With that said, there are guys who know the x’s and o’s better than others, some can explain it better than others, some can’t. A guy with a great understanding of something isn’t always the best teacher. I admittedly struggle in some of those areas. It depends on what part of the game it is. You get to a point where it’s like “Don’t do what I say, do what I mean”. Then your guys turn around on the bench and look at you crosseyed.

From what I glean from brighter minds is he's a rock solid recruiter (best in the NCAA, even), and a wonderful grooming coach (perfect for development). Struggles some with X's and O's, but that's a factor that can mitigated with one or two key assistant hires.

I wanted Keefe, but I'm fine with this. That said, an underappreciated element to landing Quinn—again, known for being a fantastic NCAA recruiter—is how well that could mesh with a NYR org who have been awfully active drafting college players and in signing NCAA UFAs over the years.

I also think, better or worse, it could see NYR push to move to 4 in order to land Tkachuk. I hope not, but I could certainly see him being their guy now.

I heard Quinn/BU was working on recruiting Wahlstrom though, so you have 2 forwards you know he likes. I'm sure he was impressed with Hughes too, after going up against him in the playoffs.

Back to the recruiting thing, I mentioned it because it (maybe more than his coaching) was responsible for BU's revival. We know BU recruiting was losing steam and it became a distinct disadvantage competing against nearby hockey schools like Harvard, BC, Northeastern, UNH, etc. They all have great reps, better campus and other perks. Quinn was able to turn it around and attract excellent talent.

This doesn't mean the guy isn't one of the best NCAA coaches, just that it wasn't purely coaching that made the difference. There are more transferable benefits than the important ones you mention. He knows how to identify talent in general, and an individual's skill proficiencies. He also has been successful building an effective staff. He gets players and staff to buy in. The guy is 51 now, was an asst in the NHL, he is no wet behind the ears kid.

As to the question of X's and O's versus developing talent... there were a couple of articles I read discussing the innovative practice and skill drills he deploys. He wants Dmen to be very proficient and carrying the puck while skating backwards and has everyone work on it in practice. He emphasizes little skills, stick skills on D, foot positioning in front of your net and stuff like that. He is supposed to be tough about standard fundamentals, but he also thinks the speed of the game requires advanced skills. I'm looking forward to hearing more.

I heard Quinn/BU was working on recruiting Wahlstrom though, so you have 2 forwards you know he likes. I'm sure he was impressed with Hughes too, after going up against him in the playoffs.

Back to the recruiting thing, I mentioned it because it (maybe more than his coaching) was responsible for BU's revival. We know BU recruiting was losing steam and it became a distinct disadvantage competing against nearby hockey schools like Harvard, BC, Northeastern, UNH, etc. They all have great reps, better campus and other perks. Quinn was able to turn it around and attract excellent talent.

This doesn't mean the guy isn't one of the best NCAA coaches, just that it wasn't purely coaching that made the difference. There are more transferable benefits than the important ones you mention. He knows how to identify talent in general, and an individual's skill proficiencies. He also has been successful building an effective staff. He gets players and staff to buy in. The guy is 51 now, was an asst in the NHL, he is no wet behind the ears kid.

As to the question of X's and O's versus developing talent... there were a couple of articles I read discussing the innovative practice and skill drills he deploys. He wants Dmen to be very proficient and carrying the puck while skating backwards and has everyone work on it in practice. He emphasizes little skills, stick skills on D, foot positioning in front of your net and stuff like that. He is supposed to be tough about standard fundamentals, but he also thinks the speed of the game requires advanced skills. I'm looking forward to hearing more.

Welcome to a Bantam practice.

It’s not a NHL head coach’s job to develop players. That’s for guys like me and Jay, and then up the ranks at the next level. Lower age levels keep preparing them for the next age level. NHL is the end game. With that said, there are guys who know the x’s and o’s better than others, some can explain it better than others, some can’t. A guy with a great understanding of something isn’t always the best teacher. I admittedly struggle in some of those areas. It depends on what part of the game it is. You get to a point where it’s like “Don’t do what I say, do what I mean”. Then your guys turn around on the bench and look at you crosseyed.

True. Yet, isn't this changing and couldn't it be said that it isn't their primary job. However, the league and teams are getting younger, faster. and more talented, among other things. The point being, coaches are almost forced to bring along 19, 20 and 21 y/o's that they might not have in the past.

More importantly guys like Chytil or Lias or Pionk (or look around the league) are going to see time on rebuilding or retooling teams. These kids are not finished products and don't always get all the skill training or system coaching they need to reach their potential in the NHL. Bottom line, we are all always learning, or else we are losing ground. These kids fresh out of college or the A or other lesser leagues have so much more to learn and improve on then a 5 year vet.

True. Yet, isn't this changing and couldn't it be said that it isn't their primary job. However, the league and teams are getting younger, faster. and more talented, among other things. The point being, coaches are almost forced to bring along 19, 20 and 21 y/o's that they might not have in the past.

More importantly guys like Chytil or Lias or Pionk (or look around the league) are going to see time on rebuilding or retooling teams. These kids are not finished products and don't always get all the skill training or system coaching they need to reach their potential in the NHL. Bottom line, we are all always learning, or else we are losing ground. These kids fresh out of college or the A or other lesser leagues have more to learn and improve then 5 year vets.

Well yeah, but they need to know how to play a 200’ game properly. Maybe I should have been more clear, my bad. It’s like I said before, I struggle to explain shit sometimes.

Welcome to a Bantam practice.

Ha, I knew you were gonna say that. Frankly, there are some drills and skills that need to be practiced whether it is at the highest or lowest levels.

As for Quinn's practices and teachings, his players say he really focuses on effective skill development drills. What do I know, I'm not there. Maybe there are some youtube vids of his practices, but I got work to do.

Archived