• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Gorton: Team Lacked Toughness and Grit; Will Be Addressed

Phil

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think it was more that the coach didn't allow players who had those intangibles to activate on them.

Guys like Smith, Miller, Krieder all have a mean streak. They just weren't allowed to play with an edge.

Tkachuk?

Yessir

I think it was more that the coach didn't allow players who had those intangibles to activate on them.

Guys like Smith, Miller, Krieder all have a mean streak. They just weren't allowed to play with an edge.

Agreed. AV was a practitioner of the Book of Mark. Kreider and Smith were both chastised publicly by AV after standing up for teammates this season.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Agree 100%. Team got softer and softer with each season AV was at the helm. I know the game has changed but this is still hockey. I can't even remember the last time a player through a hit on an opponent.

Yessir

Agreed. AV was a practitioner of the Book of Mark. Kreider and Smith were both chastised publicly by AV after standing up for teammates this season.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

I think a new coach maybe unlock a new level of Vesey we haven't seen yet. Vesey strikes me as a guy that could be annoying as fuck to play against if he was encouraged to be a little chippy, and being allowed to be a little chippy would improve his production.......or maybe he just has an annoying face.

I think a new coach maybe unlock a new level of Vesey we haven't seen yet. Vesey strikes me as a guy that could be annoying as fuck to play against if he was encouraged to be a little chippy, and being allowed to be a little chippy would improve his production.......or maybe he just has an annoying face.

If you're going to have a hateable rat face, might as well go full rat. IMO, that's how he can have an NHL career. He's not a "skill" guy. He's not going to fill the score sheet. But he can make himself useful on the 3rd line by annoying people. I don't have much use for him otherwise.

If you're going to have a hateable rat face, might as well go full rat. IMO, that's how he can have an NHL career. He's not a "skill" guy. He's not going to fill the score sheet. But he can make himself useful on the 3rd line by annoying people. I don't have much use for him otherwise.

Don't have much use for him? He just finished his second season with 17 goals. A new coach, that allows him to 'play his game more' (potentially) and he's 20 goal 40 point guy (potentially). We don't have use for that? You expect to have a top 9 full of 30 goal 60 point scorers?

YEP!

Bingo. It was bred out of them. Both Kreider and Smith were chastised at different times for sticking up for teammates. It was totally gutless coaching.

Don't have much use for him? He just finished his second season with 17 goals. A new coach, that allows him to 'play his game more' (potentially) and he's 20 goal 40 point guy (potentially). We don't have use for that? You expect to have a top 9 full of 30 goal 60 point scorers?

Let's not get crazy with 40 pts. He had 28pts this season. So, no. I don't have much use for a 28 point player that brings nothing to the game other than the odd goal every 5 games. If he adds another element, like being a pest, that's one thing. But if he continues to try to dangle his way through players shift after shift, he can go.

Well, AV won't be here to play him less than 13 minutes in half the games so yeah, put him on the 3rd line, let him play his game, and he could add a whopping 12 points to his total.

I agree starting the season on the 4th line is a joke from AV but I also think Vesey needs to find that other element to his game or his career won't last. A 28pt skill player isn't a thing. So hopefully someone gets to him and helps him be that rat face rat we all know he can be.

I agree starting the season on the 4th line is a joke from AV but I also think Vesey needs to find that other element to his game or his career won't last. A 28pt skill player isn't a thing. So hopefully someone gets to him and helps him be that rat face rat we all know he can be.

lol, is that not what I said in the first place?

Like I said in the off season thread, Tkachuk adds something this team has been lacking for years. High octane physical play alongside a great overall skill set. He goes after every puck as if his life depends on it and is an absolute pest. Like having an angry wasp in your car. And a bonafide #1 lw and leader as well.

Yeah, we’re in a new era. But, for me, this isn’t about dropping gloves and putting guys through the glass. It’s about intense physical play on every shift. Being hard to play against. I think the Jets are a great example of playing hard, fast and intense hockey in a modern way. They’re excellent to watch and horrible to play against. We’ve been too nice for too long. A lot of that is down to AV, but some of it is on the players as well. Kreider for example is a big boy and a great skater. He could certainly be using that more to his advantage. I’m fairly certain it’s rare for opposition to sit in the locker room and go “ffs, playing against Kreider tonight”. That’s what Tkachuk brings.

Like I said in the off season thread, Tkachuk adds something this team has been lacking for years. High octane physical play alongside a great overall skill set. He goes after every puck as if his life depends on it and is an absolute pest. Like having an angry wasp in your car. And a bonafide #1 lw and leader as well.

Yeah, we’re in a new era. But, for me, this isn’t about dropping gloves and putting guys through the glass. It’s about intense physical play on every shift. Being hard to play against. I think the Jets are a great example of playing hard, fast and intense hockey in a modern way. They’re excellent to watch and horrible to play against. We’ve been too nice for too long. A lot of that is down to AV, but some of it is on the players as well. Kreider for example is a big boy and a great skater. He could certainly be using that more to his advantage. I’m fairly certain it’s rare for opposition to sit in the locker room and go “ffs, playing against Kreider tonight”. That’s what Tkachuk brings.

Its so annoying watching those few times he actually does this. The last period against Ottawa in game 6 he was an absolute beast. If he just could play like that every shift, every game he would be a dominant force in this league. I really hope the next coach will let him (and help him) play that way.

I know I'm late to the party on this thread but yes...since no one said it..I will:

AV was a pansy, and he coached like one.

When Gorton says this team needs a new Identity, He should've said, "We're going stop being pushed around like a bunch of pussies". This team would have been crushed by the USA women's national team....physically as well....I'm not even kidding

I'm so friggin' happy AV is gone! I swear to God, I left a small Cocoa puff in my shorts when I heard it!!! :rofl:

I know I'm late to the party on this thread but yes...since no one said it..I will:

AV was a pansy, and he coached like one.

When Gorton says this team needs a new Identity, He should've said, "We're going stop being pushed around like a bunch of pussies". This team would have been crushed by the USA women's national team....physically as well....I'm not even kidding

I'm so friggin' happy AV is gone! I swear to God, I left a small Cocoa puff in my shorts when I heard it!!! :rofl:

:lol:

Archived