• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Looking Ahead: Seven Quick Thoughts

Giacomin

Some of the shit I've been thinking about. Add yours, comment away.

1a. Draft - Regardless of position or current perceived organizational needs, SELECT THE BEST PLAYER. Haven't we learned not to pass up Fowler for Rath, because we just drafted a puck moving dman the year prior? With a top 10 pick, get the elite talent, don't get cute. Later in the draft, again just finding good NHL talent is tough enough to not worry about position.

1b. What does that mean for this draft? - If we pick #1 we take a Dman. If we pick 2-4 we take a forward. Picks 5-9 are loaded with dman, unless the Rangers like Wahlstrom. Do not underrate Boqvist or Bouchard, either could rise into the top 5. After that, anything can happen, but a lot of Dmen are going in the 1st.

2a. Can't force a #1C - Trading 3-5 of our absolute best assets just to get a 1C, is not practical. For starters, Edm is not trading Leon. Johansson and Duchene and O'Reily are a level below and were only available due to ill will or previous contract issues. Usually it takes a #1 D to get a #1 C, from another very unbalanced team. We are not overweight on D with only one young proven Dman.

2b. No reason to trade Skjei - an over payment is not coming back to make it worth it. A #1 C is not available or planable.. We NEED D, anyway, not another huge hole we can't fill. No one else is close to a top 4, in defensive abilities. Skjei will improve. He fits the profile of talented, young, big and fast. He plays a complete game. D'Angelo is the only other dman with a spot somewhere. Shatty will get to talk to mgmt and the new coach and go from there. Hopefully he is fine with being traded.

3. Brenden Smith - leave him in Hartford!! So what if the kids stink, pay the price and have an epiphany. After the season, tell him to come to camp in the best shape of his life. Work on your hockey too, impress the new coach. Fresh start, make the best of it. Fuck this up and you're done.

4. Hajek and Howden - Both should start the season in Hartford. That should be the plan, no exceptions. Let them get at least a taste of proper development and coaching to help them be a little more ready for MSG. The Rangers and the fans should want them in the A for most of the season, unless they are crushing it.

5. Spooner or Zuc - Possible one stays as our playmaking winger while the other is our trade asset near the draft. We are crowded at C, but Spooner likes the wing. Like Zuc, he has a knack for nifty passes that result in scoring chances. He is younger, should be cheaper and versatile. It could come down to whoever is the best trade asset. Shatty + Spooner/Zuc could get us something we really need. Shatty and Zuc for Josh Manson and a contract shed? That would give us a great top pair righty for Skjei and solve another major problem.

6. Namestnikov - Love him, plays a 200' game at a high level. He really has everything, but size A bit like RNH, but quicker. Zibs/Names is a better 1-2 than Zib/Step or Step/Brass. With Hayes at the 3C and Lias/Chytil, we should be much better up the middle next year and down the road.

7. Lias/Chytil - either could play W. The 4C role is open, if we ice a fourth line with 2 decent players like Fast or Grabs. Neither should be penciled in until each proves he is ready and would benefit from the jump. If one or both tear it up in camp/preseason then we give them some NHL burn.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

1a - last year we picked best players for the team, not best talent available. I'd like them to make the best pick, taking into consideration ages, position, team needs, etc. I don't disagree with taking the best player, but if its borderline, I take the best potential Ranger

2 - dont force the C thing, but dont be afraid either. Cant dismiss a Tavares or Seguin (next offseason) being available, while its the biggest hole on the team.

3 - I think we will need him next season. Terrible signing, but we need depth dmen. Hopefully he finds his game and can contribute. Cant afford a buyout, and I dont see many teams taking his contract, or him waiving

4 - yes

5 - yes. I do want to see Zucc w/Tavares, for fun. Almost wish NHL had FA prior to the draft.

6 - yes

7 - I think Chytil moves to wing, or more likely to do so. I see him being a better winger than Lias. I love Lias as a depth Center to start. Seems like he will be able to develop his game in the bottom 6, whereas I dont see Chytil doing such.

1a - last year we picked best players for the team, not best talent available. I'd like them to make the best pick, taking into consideration ages, position, team needs, etc. I don't disagree with taking the best player, but if its borderline, I take the best potential Ranger

2 - dont force the C thing, but dont be afraid either. Cant dismiss a Tavares or Seguin (next offseason) being available, while its the biggest hole on the team.

3 - I think we will need him next season. Terrible signing, but we need depth dmen. Hopefully he finds his game and can contribute. Cant afford a buyout, and I dont see many teams taking his contract, or him waiving

4 - yes

5 - yes. I do want to see Zucc w/Tavares, for fun. Almost wish NHL had FA prior to the draft.

6 - yes

7 - I think Chytil moves to wing, or more likely to do so. I see him being a better winger than Lias. I love Lias as a depth Center to start. Seems like he will be able to develop his game in the bottom 6, whereas I dont see Chytil doing such.

Not sure this is true anymore. Every position is a hole (except goalie).

Agree with everything else though. Draft talent. Figure out where they play later. You never know what the team will look like 2-3 years from when these kids are ready.

We disagree regarding position. Really hope mgmt agrees with me. Not sure about last year, but this year I want the most dynamic, highest upside skaters, in the first 2 rounds. They should all be 18, I'll give you that. And we don't want character issues.

In retrospect, last year (although satisfied with our kids) I'd take Mittelstadt and Tolvanen. I think the Rangers went for Lias once they could not trade to get Makar, plus Petersson and Glass went off the board. Why wouldn't Mittelstadt and Tolvanen not be the best potential Rangers?

I try not to think about JT right now. Good for my mindset. :)

What's up with Seguin? If he is on the block, won't he cost us 3 prime assets like Zib, Kreids +? With McD gone, I feel like we'll have to find our own top C.

Exactly, good points. It seems fine to start Lias at the 4C, but with Chytil I'd rather push him into a top 9 wing role. Not sure exactly why. He reminds me a little of the center Peter Stastny, but I'm OK with starting at wing and him learning his defensive responsibilities gradually like Babcock is doing with Nylander and Marner.

I don't see Zuc and Spooner as an either or proposition. I think we keep Zuc because we're not going to get anything for him. At this point, at $4.5m he is overpaid. I suspect the reason he wasn't traded at the deadline was because there were no decent offers for him, and that was at a point where he would have commanded more than in the off season. Keep Spooner because he's playing well here. Not much more complicated than that.

I don't see Zuc and Spooner as an either or proposition. I think we keep Zuc because we're not going to get anything for him. At this point, at $4.5m he is overpaid. I suspect the reason he wasn't traded at the deadline was because there were no decent offers for him, and that was at a point where he would have commanded more than in the off season. Keep Spooner because he's playing well here. Not much more complicated than that.

I agree that it does not have to be an either/or thing. However, I'm not sure there weren't offers for Zuc. It is possible that unless there was the right offer, we were going to hold off on Zuc. Spooner performing on the wing, could add options though.

As fans, when we discuss trading one of Hayes or Spooner at the draft, we have to include Zuc. Since I do not expect many trades, I'm keeping Hayes for various reasons. Therefore if we need trade bait, Spooner makes Zuc a little redundant. They are both playmakers, not power forwards, nor D stalwarts. One can be a trade asset and I'd add Shatty to the mix, if there is interest.

If Spooner or Zuc can't net us a real top prospect, a top 4 pick in the draft or a Josh Manson like Dman, then I'm fine keeping both.

If Spooner or Zuc can't net us a real top prospect, a top 4 pick in the draft or a Josh Manson like Dman, then I'm fine keeping both.

I think it's safe to say they can't.

I remember thinking Zucc was our best forward on the ice during the 2014 finals. That seems like a long long time ago.

I think it's safe to say they can't.

I'm not so sure. The McD trade happened during the last hour of the deadline. It almost didn't. Would that mean no one was interested in McD? Obviously he had value. Who is to say mgmt had their hands full and were not concentrating on moving Zuc. No offer tipped the scale. Maybe mgmt thinks Zuc is open to resigning here at another discount. Maybe year to year, didn't he hint that once? There was more urgency to make the other moves. Plus, if the focus is a single predraft trade with any team in the league, expect options to open up.

As for Spoons, he's raising his value daily, at this point. Now, I'm not saying either gets you a top pick. But combined with another pick and/or Shatty and maybe we can get a team who has been picking high to exchange picks with us. Or an A prospect who is not quite ready. Or a proven righty defensive Dman who is young and can skate great.

I remember thinking Zucc was our best forward on the ice during the 2014 finals. That seems like a long long time ago.

Or the next year, until he took a puck to the head.

He still is our best forward. Sadly our best forward only has 45 pts. meanwhile Kucherov has almost double that. Just shows you where we're at talent-wise.

No excuse obviously, that's just sad. But with Kreids, Zib and Buch healthy all season like Kuch and Stammer Im sure atleast one of them would have more then 45 points atm.

No excuse obviously, that's just sad. But with Kreids, Zib and Buch healthy all season like Kuch and Stammer Im sure atleast one of them would have more then 45 points atm.

yeah kreiders injury definetly had a trickle down effect on the lineup. That line specifically could have done some real damage for those 25 games he was out BUT maybe it works out in the longrun

Personally I don't think anyone in their right mind would trade one of the top 15 picks in this draft for Zuc or Spooner + futures.

It is simply too deep talent wise and you're giving away far too much potential for not enough return.

Personally I don't think anyone in their right mind would trade one of the top 15 picks in this draft for Zuc or Spooner + futures.

It is simply too deep talent wise and you're giving away far too much potential for not enough return.

When its deep like this, you might see teams willing to fall back a few spots for an extra pick, player or prospect.

When its deep like this, you might see teams willing to fall back a few spots for an extra pick, player or prospect.

Maybe, but there seems to be more or less universal agreement that there is a significant drop-off in quality between the proper top prospects (1 through 13/14) and the rest. I can't see anyone trading those picks for a package of Zuc or Spooner + futures. Depends how you define top prospects I guess.

Playing McLeod at all while Lettieri stays in Hartford makes no sense.

It makes a ton of sense. Why have him up here playing out of his depth and losing confidence for 8:00/night on a bad team?

The younger guys should stay far away from AV and this shit show. As soon as Shattenkirk is healthy, Gilmour or Pionk are going right back down.

Plus, tank.

Envision a scenario with the 7th or 8th pick. Say Edmonton and Buff (teams that are not as enamored as us about the draft) have picks 4 and 5. We swap.

Here is a chance for Edm to get back an offensive winger they desperately need and still draft a top Dman. One of those teams may be high on Hughes, Bouchard or Dobson or whoever. We have the ammo to move up or around, with picks positioned throughout the first 3 rounds.

There are other possibilities. We add Shatty and swap our say 23rd pick + Devil's 2nd, Zuc/Spponer and Shatty for that 5th pick. Keeping our pick, giving us two in the top 8.

Or we upgrade/swap another pick of ours because scouting loves someone at 16. Offensive wingers have value to teams lacking talent. Or to teams that got surprised and just missed the playoffs or knocked out in the first round because they were lacking somewhere.

It makes a ton of sense. Why have him up here playing out of his depth and losing confidence for 8:00/night on a bad team?

The younger guys should stay far away from AV and this shit show. As soon as Shattenkirk is healthy, Gilmour or Pionk are going right back down.

Plus, tank.

Bingo Pete!!

They should bring up all the heaping stacks of shit they have in Hartford....Give them all their BIG CHANCE! Lets just see how Deep we are down there!!! LOL

And don't underestimate GM's under pressure to win now (and have a job) and use some of the capital they might not be around to enjoy in a couple of years. Every year there are a few GM's who are not in the same position we are.

Playing McLeod at all while Lettieri stays in Hartford makes no sense.

It would be a good thing to have Lias and Chytil, along with guys like Lettieri, Nieves and others competing for the Calder and having some continuity for the rest of the year. This team is a mess and this is not the way to evaluate some of these Dmen, let alone anyone we are truly trying to develop.

However, in no way, shape or form should they go into next season with guys like McLeod, Holland, DD, Carey or any marginal NHLer over 24/25. Mgmt's job is to at least fill out the roster with guys that have some potential or value.

5th - 10th pick maybe if everything fits, but it?s a huge stretch. I think you?d be able to get better deals for those players if you?re of a mind to move them.

Absolutely no chance of anyone giving up 3rd or 4th this year imo. Certainly not for what we can offer.

1a. Draft - Regardless of position or current perceived organizational needs, SELECT THE BEST PLAYER. Haven't we learned not to pass up Fowler for Rath, because we just drafted a puck moving dman the year prior? ...

Heavens, I hope NYR has finally learned... if we haven't then there's no hope.

Now more than ever we need to be smart on this. They've blown too many already

1b. What does that mean for this draft? - If we pick #1 we take a Dman. If we pick 2-4 we take a forward. Picks 5-9 are loaded with dman, unless the Rangers like Wahlstrom. Do not underrate Boqvist or Bouchard, either could rise into the top 5. After that, anything can happen, but a lot of Dmen are going in the 1st.

Again draft smart -- no flaming leaps into the off the script high-risk in the first two rounds. There's enough legit talent there. No need to take a flyer

2a. Can't force a #1C - Trading 3-5 of our absolute best assets just to get a 1C, is not practical.

Couldn't agree more. Creating other difficult/costly holes to fill makes no sense at this point.

2b. No reason to trade Skjei - an over payment is not coming back to make it worth it. .... Skjei will improve. He fits the profile of talented, young, big and fast. He plays a complete game. ... Shatty will get to talk to mgmt and the new coach and go from there. Hopefully he is fine with being traded.

Keep Skjei part of the solution not the real problem.

Shatty is up to Shatty. His defensive porosity is what it is, but I would hope he would be part of the rebuild if he is patient.

Reality: Who's taking a major chance on a guy off that surgery anyway without waiting a year to see how he plays?

3. Brenden Smith - leave him in Hartford!! So what if the kids stink, pay the price and have an epiphany. After the season, tell him to come to camp in the best shape of his life. Work on your hockey too, impress the new coach. Fresh start, make the best of it. Fuck this up and you're done.

Brendon, Brandon, Brenden or Brendan? ... I go with Brendan. If he is back to defensive competence ... let him play. If he ain't, let him stay ... there.

4. Hajek and Howden - Both should start the season in Hartford. That should be the plan, no exceptions. L...unless they are crushing it.

You made an exception yourself "unless they are crushing it." I would give them more wiggle room, I think an NHL look-see helps them realize what they need to work on, especially speed of decisionmaking/anticipation -- everything happens much faster, there's less time than most first-timers and second-timers think, and holding onto the puck for too long has been the team's problem at times.

5. Spooner or Zuc -

I felt they got Spooner because they wanted to have him, not because he was the best warm body they could get.

Zuc is still heart and soul to lead the way and show how to play for the kids.

6. Namestnikov - Love him, plays a 200' game at a high level. He really has everything, but size A bit like RNH, but quicker. Zibs/Names is a better 1-2 than Zib/Step or Step/Brass. With Hayes at the 3C and Lias/Chytil, we should be much better up the middle next year and down the road.

Again, I though it on draft day, they got Namestnikov because he was a high value target for the organization. He's a keeper to fit in the skill department.

7. Lias/Chytil - either could play W. The 4C role is open, if we ice a fourth line with 2 decent players like Fast or Grabs. Neither should be penciled in until each proves he is ready and would benefit from the jump. If one or both tear it up in camp/preseason then we give them some NHL burn.

I would liek them to start in HFD, but also have a look see early, so again they know how high the bar is, and the speed at which they have to develop their instincts to anticipate faster on shooting or move the puck.

Keep Skjei part of the solution not the real problem.

Shatty is up to Shatty. His defensive porosity is what it is, but I would hope he would be part of the rebuild if he is patient.

Reality: Who's taking a major chance on a guy off that surgery anyway without waiting a year to see how he plays.

Grounded in reality. You're right, I was just hoping he'd be joining us soon and show it was a simple meniscus repair and is better than ever. The clip of Shatty skating showed he is getting close. Showcase him. :slats:

D'Angelo is a young unseasoned Shatty. They are both third pair righties who can move up on the PP or when we are desperate for offense. We only need one, keep the cheap kid with upside. Maybe as the game slows down for him, his sees the game/ice better. He has some very strong O skills.

Unlike Spooner and Zuc (which is a good and livable redundancy, two 3rd pair righties who can't play D is not. Skjei is the only sure thing top 4 in the entire organization.

You made an exception yourself "unless they are crushing it." I would give them more wiggle room, I think an NHL look-see helps them realize what they need to work on, especially speed of decision making/anticipation -- everything happens much faster, there's less time than most first-timers and second-timers think, and holding onto the puck for too long has been the team's problem at times.

Ha, no! No exception, they start in Hartford. They are both coming from juniors. Being a regular on the Pack will provide valuable developmental coaching and minutes against men. I'm saying they have to be crushing the A, before subjecting them to the pressure of the show. Don't hold em back, but let em earn it.

This whole idea of skipping the men's league before playing in the NHL should be reserved for the mature elite talent. I get it. Fans either want to see the new toys or get impatient and lose sight of what is best for the players development. Last night they were talking about Brayden Point's development. Tampa left him in the A and extra year even though he "should have" made the team. It is a common story.

I felt they got Spooner because they wanted to have him, not because he was the best warm body they could get.

Zuc is still heart and soul to lead the way and show how to play for the kids.

Certainly possible they both have a role. Yeah, I think the Rangers liked Spooner as a player and legit asset. Doesn't mean we might not consider trading him if he is a piece that gets us someone we are seeking. We have to sign Skjei, Hayes, Names, and Spooner. Or trade them. So a decision has to be made on Spooner, who is clearly 4th on that list.

Agree with everything else though. Draft talent. Figure out where they play later. You never know what the team will look like 2-3 years from when these kids are ready.

Saw what you wrote on the GDT too. So true, Don't get cute! Don't worry about need, draft the impact player with a very high ceiling. Look for elite hockey skills and abilities. Let speed, size and character be a tie-breaker.

Archived