• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers Draft [D] Sean Day in 3rd Rd (81st) Pick

Phil

2016_3_Day.png

Name: Sean Day

Position: D

Shoots: Left

Current Team: Mississauga Steelheads (OHL)

Elite Prospects Profile: http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=228106

A mobile two-way defenceman who boasts an elite level skill package. Strong on the forecheck and delivers hard shots and crisp passes. His consistency and enthusiasm exhibited at the game's defining moments does seem to wane, and the pressure felt seems to impact his decision-making slightly. When focusing on simplifying his game and getting all the little things right, he becomes a forceful impact that is hungry to be a difference maker. All-in-all, a talented two-way defenceman who has all of the raw abilities in place to become an elite defenceman, but has yet to put it all together and prove that he can thrive in the driver's seat. (Curtis Joe, EP 2015)

Current Statistics

HockeyDB.com Page:http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=170115

Team Player Page:http://mississaugasteelheads.com/players/6623

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I posted this in another thread a few days ago, but here's a good breakdown on Day.

http://www.habseyesontheprize.com/2016/6/21/11979040/2016-nhl-draft-prospect-profile-sean-day-entry-draft-prospect-highlights

Having spent many nights and afternoons at the Hershey Centre in Mississauga this season, I can confidently say that Sean Day is a highly talented hockey player. My viewings this season ranged from noticeably bad to best player on the ice.

There were games where the elite skating and puck rushing ability were on full display. But there were other games where Day was a turnover machine who skating himself directly into traffic. The former looks like a top-30 pick, a potential top-four defender in the NHL; the latter, perhaps a late round flyer at best.

While the physical tools are immediately striking, the decision-making and consistency are what hold him back. If a team feels that the decision-making can be fixed, then he would be a very worthwhile gamble as early as the second round. If not, perhaps he's not even worth a draft pick.

Tossing away the off-ice and work ethic stuff (as I have no way knowing about it), I think Day is a worthwhile gamble for the Montreal Canadiens. Certainly not in the first or second, but in the third or later, if he lasts that long.

Boom or bust. Would be a project, but the Rangers desperately need a boom-type prospect and they've done quite well developing defensemen.

Wild scouting reports. All or nothing pick

2016 NHL Draft Profiles: Sean Day

Sean Day ? 6?2, 230-pound left-shot defenceman from the Mississauga Steelheads (OHL)

Sean Day Rankings

Ranked #59 by NHL Central Scouting (NA Skaters)

Ranked #51 by McKeen?s Hockey Draft Guide

Did not make Craig Button?s Top 100 final rankings

Sean Days Scouting Report provided by Brock Otten of OHL Prospects

Sean Day Strengths

Sean Day is 6?2, 230 pounds and was ranked the best skater in the 2016 draft class by the McKeen?s Hockey Draft Guide. What you have here is an athletic freak.

I thought Day closed out the season exceptionally well. The two biggest reasons for that were an increased intensity level in the defensive end, and an increased propensity for starting the rush and looking to use his speed to push across the neutral zone.

In my opinion, Day?s future at the next level rests on his ability to defend his own end; using his size and mobility to be a shutdown type of defender. That?s why I think his increased desire to play the body and play mean in his own end towards the end of the year is a major step forward.

On the ice, I think Day is finally realizing what his role is and the way he needs to play to be successful.

From Sean Lafortune, speaking on the Steelheads? selection of Sean Day back in 2013:

?Sean Day?s talents are unique. His footwork and skating ability are unmatched. He?s innovative in possession, showing an ability to either impact the game with a sizzling outlet or flashing his slick in close skills. He would routinely impose his will on the opposition in our viewings. No doubt he needs to work on his decision making in all three zones, but the tools that he possesses are unmatched.?

Sean Day Weaknesses

No question Sean Day didn?t have a great draft year, and I actually had him lower on my list up until about the last month and a half of the season (in which he took some strides forward).

Certainly you have to look at the overall motivation levels (with everything that has come out in the media about his attitude and character), and NHL teams will have done their homework at the combine (I?m guessing he was one of the most interviewed players there).

For me, I don?t actually believe Day has a ton of offensive potential. While the skating ability obviously makes you hope that?s the case, I just don?t see a player who possesses a natural ability for creating offence.

From Gare Joyce?s piece at the Draft Combine:

?Sean Day. Sigh. Okay, he?s down 20 pounds at least from last summer. At 230 he still looks like a beer leaguer but it?s a start. It didn?t look like he bought into the idea that the combine was a chance to make a big impression. He went from ordinary to very ordinary to below average at the stations, and seemed sort of nonchalant. You look at him and think: How does an unathletic kid possess plus-plus skating? This is one of life?s mysteries and the reason that someone will undertake Day as a challenge.?

The Verdict

You?re not looking at the next Drew Doughty. He?s not going to be that type of guy. But can Sean Day be a successful NHL player? Absolutely.

Scouting report

A mobile two-way defenceman that boasts an elite level skill package. Strong on the forecheck and delivers hard shots and crisp passes. His consistency and enthusiasm exhibited at the game?s defining moments does seem to wane, and the pressure felt seems to impact his decision-making slightly. When focusing on simplifying his game and getting all the little things right, he becomes a forceful impact that is hungry to be a difference maker. All-in-all, a talented two-way defenceman that has all of the raw abilities in place to become an elite defenceman, but has yet to put it all together and prove that he can thrive in the driver?s seat. (Curtis Joe, Elite Prospects 2015)

Strengths

If you are looking for raw elite skill, Sean Day is your man. If you are looking for a well-rounded player with good hockey sense who is guaranteed to make the NHL, he certainly is not.

The main reasons for Day being granted exceptional player status to play junior hockey a year early were his size and skating, along with outstanding puck skills. Three years later, those are still his standout attributes.

Listed at 6-foot-3 and 229 pounds, Day already has the perfect frame for an NHL defenceman. Yet, he is an elite skater. A powerful stride, speed, mobility ? Day has it all.

Another standout attribute is his passing. Day plays powerful, accurate passes, especially during breakouts. He can also make big plays in the offensive zone and possesses a good, heavy shot.

Last but not least, Day is a terrific puck handler and could turn into a large two-way defenceman who can drive the puck up ice and be a power-play quarterback.

Weaknesses

First, there is his inconsistency. One second you see that elite exceptional status player, the next you see a below-average junior player like you find them aplenty in the CHL.

Second, many scouts question his hockey sense. Day used to play a ?get the puck and go? style in minor hockey and had a hard time changing that (and he is still working on it).

Furthermore, Day seemed to struggle a lot with the strong competition in the OHL and the pressure of being granted exceptional player status. He was used to being much bigger and better than all his peers in minor hockey, but playing against 20-year-olds was a change he struggled to adapt to.

Day was a minus-35 in his rookie season and struggled defensively in general. He got better in his second year ? offensively and defensively. In 2015-16, his production dropped, but he got much more responsible in the defensive zone. If he continues his defensive development like he has for the past year, it should not be an issue at the next level.

Perhaps the biggest issue, if all the rumours are true, is Day?s character. Granted exceptional player status, he was said to just take everything for granted instead of working hard to be successful. Then, he was reported to have had a few falling-outs with his coach. Furthermore, he reportedly demanded a trade ? to the London Knights and the London Knights only.

• Like 1

Don't know about this guy... sounds more bust than boom. Worth ethic is not something that just comes to you... you either have it or you don't. For the most part anyway.

Wonder if there were maybe slightly less risky picks at that position

In a vacuum, getting Day with this pick is good.

For us, it's a terrible pick. You don't take a project with your best pick when you don't have many picks.

We need players with a quick path towards turning pro because we have almost nothing in the system at all.

In a vacuum, getting Day with this pick is good.

For us, it's a terrible pick. You don't take a project with your best pick when you don't have many picks.

We need players with a quick path towards turning pro because we have almost nothing in the system at all.

It's not like there are a lot of third rounders who are definitively going to be NHLers. Boom or bust is about as good as it gets in the third.

It's not like there are a lot of third rounders who are definitively going to be NHLers. Boom or bust is about as good as it gets in the third.

It's not about being a sure fire NHLer. It's about quickest path to the NHL. By most accounts he's a 5 year project.

Don't know I feel about this. I'm very hesitant when it comes to Day. He has a lot of the physical gifts but hasn't really developed or improved much.

I agree with Pete that this he isn't really who you take with your highest pick. Day could be an absolute home run, but he could also be a nobody if he doesn't improve. If the Rangers had another pick before or around him, sure, it'd be a bit easier to deal with.

Talk is cheap but Day was very confident and proud of changes he made. Was honest about short comings and had it in his mind that he was going to prove a ton of people wrong. Whether that happens remains to be seen.

Well that's good. One can hope that actually getting drafted and closer to an NHL career gets him more inspired.

It's not about being a sure fire NHLer. It's about quickest path to the NHL. By most accounts he's a 5 year project.

Jeez I hope not that long :eek:

this guy doesn't even sound like he has the motivation to go through 2 more years of dues paying let alone 5.

Strengths

If you are looking for raw elite skill, Sean Day is your man. ...

The main reasons for Day being granted exceptional player status to play junior hockey a year early were his size and skating, along with outstanding puck skills.....

Yet, he is an elite skater. A powerful stride, speed, mobility — Day has it all.

Another standout attribute is his passing. Day plays powerful, accurate passes, especially during breakouts. He can also make big plays in the offensive zone and possesses a good, heavy shot.

Last but not least, Day is a terrific puck handler and could turn into a large two-way defenceman who can drive the puck up ice and be a power-play quarterback.

But these attributes are encouraging. maybe our system can make something of him if he lasts long enough to get in it.

Jeez I hope not that long :eek:

this guy doesn't even sound like he has the motivation to go through 2 more years of dues paying let alone 5.

But these attributes are encouraging. maybe our system can make something of him if he lasts long enough to get in it.

Hear you. I don't dislike the player as much as the context around the pick.

It's the third round... Isn't pretty much every player a long shot? Might as well go for the guy who can be decent if he puts his game together.

Again, has nothing to do with being a long shot. It's the amount of time it'll take him to reach the NHL.

When you're short on picks, every one counts. This is a player who's likely 5 years from the NHL, if ever, and I don't see the point of taking him over a player who can help you more quickly.

Especially after essentially wasting a pick on McIlrath.

Day in the 3rd round isn't a bad pick in a vacuum. It's a poor choice for this organization.

Link

Sean Day has all the tools to be a quality defenceman. He has ideal size, and is one of the best skaters in this entire draft class. His stride is smooth, and he seems like he is gliding just above the ice instead of digging into it. He has outstanding speed and acceleration as he is able to fly in both directions. His pivots are crisp, and his edgework is outstanding, as he can change directions or make quick cuts on a dime. Day also has power and balance in his skating and is strong on the puck.

Sean Day has an excellent slap shot and wrist shot, but does not seem to utilize them enough. The passing skill and vision are also there, but he doesn’t seem to create a lot of plays from the point. He seems to utilize very simple passes and does not try the types of plays that can truly make something happen offensively. His instinct in the offensive zone is also a bit of a question mark. He handles the puck well, but still seems to rush things a little too much when under pressure, not realizing the time and space that he has.

Defensively, Day has the footwork, the long reach, and the physicality to be effective in his own end. His skating makes him tough to beat one-on-one. He has the size to battle in the corners, and he’s not been afraid to go after bigger and stronger opponents.

So why 56th overall on our rankings? Though all the tools are there, Day doesn’t put them together on a game-in, game-out basis. He really needs to work on being consistent and avoid some of the mental mistakes that have plagued him over his first two years in the OHL. The effort level does not always seem to be there, and there is some question as to how committed Day is to a career in the NHL. Whispers heard in the scouts section at the Hershey Centre include questions as to whether or not he truly loves the game.

Sean Day is the biggest boom or bust prospect in the draft. His raw skills and tools give him the ability to be one of the top defencemen in the game. However there are real questions about the fact that he’s not been able to put things all together to date, and some question if he ever will. In terms of style, his game is comparable to Jay Bouwmeester, but this is a stylistic comparison, and not one based on his skill or potential.

Link

However, what is not shown on the rankings provided above is just how much Day’s game has in fact progressed over his third season with the Steelheads. Although his offensive totals have dropped slightly, it is his impeccable defensive game which will be turning heads when he reaches the NHL level.

The one major area which Day has worked on throughout his time in the OHL is his defense, and it has definitely paid off.

In his own zone, Day is seemingly impassable. Combining his elite skating abilities and strength allows Day to match attacking players’ speed, while using his size to force players to the outside. In most cases, a quick, accurate stick knocks the puck off of opponents sticks before they have the opportunity to generate offensive opportunities.

Further, when it comes to board play, Day once again utilizes his power to pin opponents to the boards with ease, before once again using his stick to either knock the puck away, or in numerous cases, strip players of the puck before either making a crisp outlet pass or skating the puck out of his zone.

From the scouting reports, it sounds like he could use another year in the OHL to work on his compete level and offensive instincts. He's not AHL eligible for another two seasons so he'll have plenty of time. His skating ability is what we need, as is being reliable in the defensive zone. For a third rounder, I like the pick.

From the scouting reports, it sounds like he could use another year in the OHL to work on his compete level and offensive instincts. He's not AHL eligible for another two seasons so he'll have plenty of time. His skating ability is what we need, as is being reliable in the defensive zone. For a third rounder, I like the pick.

He plans on going back which is a good thing. Another year and then some time in HFD would make sense given timeline of current D.