PDA

View Full Version : GDT: 2018 Off-Season Thread: #TradeSzn

Pages : [1] 2 3

Phil in Absentia
04-07-2018, 06:02 PM
https://www.dropbox.com/s/fx1ciml3o0hqupf/BSBH_Offseason_Header.png?raw=1

Please use this thread to discuss all feasible off-season related topics including
(but not limited to) potential trades, free agency and more. This thread is intended to
discuss the New York Rangers off-season, though other team information (that is
relevant to the Rangers) like potential trade candidates can be posted here as well.

This thread is not designed for trade proposals. Please do not post them here unless
they are specific to an existing rumor or report.

This thread will be updated regularly between now and July 1st, as well as into the
off-season months in the event major names are still available on the board (so to speak).

https://www.dropbox.com/s/rlda7qo5ipcbpq0/BSBH_GDT_Bar.gif?raw=1

Dates to Remember:

NHL Draft Lottery — April 28th
NHL Entry Draft — June 22nd, 23rd
Free Agent Signing Period Begins — July 1st
Buyout Window — TBD

ThirtyONE
04-07-2018, 06:08 PM
Never been so happy to see this up. What a debacle this season was.

Clean out the rest of the crap. Start over.

NYR2711
04-07-2018, 06:10 PM
What does the szn stand for? Just curious.

Phil in Absentia
04-07-2018, 06:37 PM
Never been so happy to see this up. What a debacle this season was.

Clean out the rest of the crap. Start over.

For real.

What does the szn stand for? Just curious.

Season.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=92212)

Sod16
04-07-2018, 06:47 PM
A couple of posters expressed concern about Anderson's foot speed after the Islanders game, so I focused on that watching the Philly game. I understand that sedatives were administered to the entire team before the game, but I have to say that I noticed several sequences where more powerful skating would have gotten Anderson possession. Yes, it's way too early to judge, but let's just say I don't think many NHL team's would trade the 7th pick in this year's or next year's draft for Anderson. By contrast, they all would trade the 21st pick for Chytl.

josh
04-07-2018, 06:52 PM
1.) #1 center
2.) Leadership
3.) Defenseman. Type of guy needed will be based on coach/system. Must be mobile and reliable in own zone.

NYR2711
04-07-2018, 06:55 PM
A couple of posters expressed concern about Anderson's foot speed after the Islanders game, so I focused on that watching the Philly game. I understand that sedatives were administered to the entire team before the game, but I have to say that I noticed several sequences where more powerful skating would have gotten Anderson possession. Yes, it's way too early to judge, but let's just say I don't think many NHL team's would trade the 7th pick in this year's or next year's draft for Anderson. By contrast, they all would trade the 21st pick for Chytl.

Anderson has already said he needs to work on his speed this summer.

josh
04-07-2018, 06:56 PM

I think he skated better this game than the previous few. He’s already a better skater than Stepan was at this age. Lias is a smart player, he’ll be able to get o the right spots. His game is built on smarts,not speed.

NYR2711
04-07-2018, 06:56 PM
1.) #1 center
2.) Leadership
3.) Defenseman. Type of guy needed will be based on coach/system. Must be mobile and reliable in own zone.

I would say the major need is a player that is a goal scoring threat is a must as well.

NYR2711
04-07-2018, 06:57 PM
I think he skated better this game than the previous few. He’s already a better skater than Stepan was at this age. Lias is a smart player, he’ll be able to get o the right spots. His game is built on smarts,not speed.

Stepan may be slow, but he still put up more points than anyone on this team did this season.

josh
04-07-2018, 06:57 PM
I would say the major need is a player that is a goal scoring threat is a must as well.

Get a #1c and shift Zibanejad to wing. Let him worry about shooting instead of... anything to do with being a center.

ThirtyONE
04-07-2018, 07:03 PM

Hopefully we draft one.

rangers02
04-07-2018, 07:05 PM
Firing AV will not help us, not when most of the Team was from the AHL and we had an AHL-level defense

rangers02
04-07-2018, 07:06 PM
We have finally put out of our Misery

ThirtyONE
04-07-2018, 07:07 PM
Firing AV will not help us, not when most of the Team was from the AHL and we had an AHL-level defense

AV could have been fired after the Pitt series two years ago. They've been on the downward trend for three years. They're soft. They're slow. His system doesn't match the players available. He's not a teacher. It's time.

rangers02
04-07-2018, 07:15 PM
Why? Because of our lack of depth on the defense and that some of our players turned into Giant turds this season? It's time we hold Jeff Gorton accountable

Phil in Absentia
04-07-2018, 07:16 PM
1.) #1 center
2.) Leadership

3, 1, 2 for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=92212)

Phil in Absentia
04-07-2018, 07:16 PM

Firing AV is addition by subtraction in and of itself.

rangers02
04-07-2018, 07:19 PM
1.) #1 center
2.) Leadership
Absolutely! Hopefully, Gorton won't screw up our draft picks!

NYR2711
04-07-2018, 07:19 PM
Hopefully we draft one.

Unless we trade down, that might be hard.

josh
04-07-2018, 07:21 PM
3, 1, 2 for me.

Skjei - Pionk
Staal - Shattenkirk
Smith - DeAngelo
Lindgren

Isn’t as bad as people think, if guys play well, progress, bounce back, whatever you want to call it, especially when potentially looking at using a new system.

There’s not a top d available, those that are won’t change much.

Fixing 1 & 2 will help make this defense crew less of an issue

NYR2711
04-07-2018, 07:22 PM
Get a #1c and shift Zibanejad to wing. Let him worry about shooting instead of... anything to do with being a center.

Id like to see more of him on the wing before a permanent move, but I agree, they need a number 1 center. Do they make a play for Statsny then in the off season? I wouldn't mind him if he can come at the right price.

NYR2711
04-07-2018, 07:24 PM
Skjei - Pionk
Staal - Shattenkirk
Smith - DeAngelo
Lindgren

Isn’t as bad as people think, if guys play well, progress, bounce back, whatever you want to call it, especially when potentially looking at using a new system.

I agree. The defense wasn't as bad as they could have been. Better offensive players would take off the defensive pressure. I liked O'Gara and Gilmour's play.

josh
04-07-2018, 07:25 PM
Id like to see more of him on the wing before a permanent move, but I agree, they need a number 1 center. Do they make a play for Statsny then in the off season? I wouldn't mind him if he can come at the right price.

No. Tavares this summer, if not, Seguin next.

Don’t look much further ahead than that,as we don’t know what we will have

NYR2711
04-07-2018, 07:26 PM
No. Tavares this summer, if not, Seguin next.

Don’t look much further ahead than that,as we don’t know what we will have

I don't think Tavares will sign here, and I don't think Dallas lets Seguin leave.

josh
04-07-2018, 07:30 PM
I don't think Tavares will sign here, and I don't think Dallas lets Seguin leave.

Tavares should test the market. He likes the nyc area and is extremely frustrated with that organization. NY lotto - hey,you never know.

If Hitchcock is there, seguin won’t stay.

skunkman
04-07-2018, 07:35 PM
Tavares should test the market. He likes the nyc area and is extremely frustrated with that organization. NY lotto - hey,you never know.

If Hitchcock is there, seguin won’t stay.

Maybe Hitchcock is here? OUCH!

Phil in Absentia
04-07-2018, 07:37 PM
Skjei - Pionk
Staal - Shattenkirk
Smith - DeAngelo
Lindgren

I agree. I just think the defense is clearly the most critical issue. Especially if they have any hope of making next season a playoffs year.

They can get by with a lower tier 1C in Zibanejad. They can't get by if Smith, DeAngelo, etc don't take major steps forward.

Phil in Absentia
04-07-2018, 07:38 PM
I agree. The defense wasn't as bad as they could have been. Better offensive players would take off the defensive pressure. I liked O'Gara and Gilmour's play.

Why? O'Gara bleeds shots and attempts and Gilmour can't skate backwards. He's a forward playing defense.

If these two are on your NHL roster, your team probably sucks.

Pete
04-07-2018, 08:36 PM
Skjei - Pionk
Staal - Shattenkirk
Smith - DeAngelo
Lindgren

Fixing 1 & 2 will help make this defense crew less of an issueCarlson.

josh
04-07-2018, 08:38 PM
Backstrom so Washington can resign Carlson!

Pete
04-07-2018, 08:38 PM
Lias reminds me of a young Kopitar (lite). Just the way he moves around. Not at all suggesting similar production.

Phil in Absentia
04-07-2018, 09:28 PM
Carlson.

Price is going to hurt something awful there. Last McKenzie report had him north of $7M per.

Phil in Absentia
04-07-2018, 09:29 PM
Backstrom so Washington can resign Carlson!

I probably would.

Ranger Lothbrok
04-07-2018, 11:14 PM
Bob McKenzie announces AV has been fired.

https://mobile.twitter.com/TSNBobMcKenzie

Blueshirts1926
04-07-2018, 11:31 PM
Thank you GOD! LOL

rangers02
04-07-2018, 11:44 PM
My instincts were wrong! AV has now been relieved of his coaching duties, so we can start fresh this offseason ;)

rangers02
04-07-2018, 11:47 PM
Thank you, GOD! LOL

Now we can start off on the right track, starting with drafting players that can fill our holes on defense and center, and maybe signing Karlsson or JT in free agency

Fatfrancesa
04-08-2018, 12:31 AM
Granato

mickey1935
04-08-2018, 02:04 AM
Amen in spades. AV had nothing to work with especially on defense. The corporate methodology leaves GGG in charge and a brilliant hockey man looking for a job. Maybe I will just concentrate on Boca Juniors and the sad Argentine national team (NMNV) so I can spend my evenings enjoying my life. After 70 years of frustration I have just about had it.

I love hockey and have loved the Rangers but this may be the final straw. If I were "The King" I would ask for a trade to a real team that would give me a pathway to the Hall of Fame instead of the Hall of Shame that GGG has left me with.

Gravesy
04-08-2018, 05:46 AM
Most projections seem to list the draft order along these lines. Assuming top 3 is off limits (barring getting lucky in the lottery) where should we aim to get?

1. Dahlin
2. Svechnikov
3. Zadina
4. Tkachuk
5. Boqvist
6. Hughes
7. Bouchard
8. Wahlstrom
9. Dobson
10. Smith

I have a "feeling" on Tkachuk. The few times I've seen him he just plays hard and is an absolute pest in addition to being a really good player overall. I also like Boqvist and Bouchard.

Vodka Drunkenski
04-08-2018, 06:35 AM
Amen in spades. AV had nothing to work with especially on defense. The corporate methodology leaves GGG in charge and a brilliant hockey man looking for a job. Maybe I will just concentrate on Boca Juniors and the sad Argentine national team (NMNV) so I can spend my evenings enjoying my life. After 70 years of frustration I have just about had it.

I love hockey and have loved the Rangers but this may be the final straw. If I were "The King" I would ask for a trade to a real team that would give me a pathway to the Hall of Fame instead of the Hall of Shame that GGG has left me with.

See ya

Pete
04-08-2018, 07:35 AM

I love hockey and have loved the Rangers but this may be the final straw. If I were "The King" I would ask for a trade to a real team that would give me a pathway to the Hall of Fame instead of the Hall of Shame that GGG has left me with.70 years of frustration? Weren't you like 52 in 1994?

Kevin
04-08-2018, 08:51 AM
70 years of frustration? Weren't you like 52 in 1994?

Why bother? This feels like LTF all over again.

Kevin
04-08-2018, 08:55 AM
Most projections seem to list the draft order along these lines. Assuming top 3 is off limits (barring getting lucky in the lottery) where should we aim to get?

1. Dahlin
2. Svechnikov
3. Zadina
4. Tkachuk
5. Boqvist
6. Hughes
7. Bouchard
8. Wahlstrom
9. Dobson
10. Smith

I have a "feeling" on Tkachuk. The few times I've seen him he just plays hard and is an absolute pest in addition to being a really good player overall. I also like Boqvist and Bouchard.

I've been intrigued by Hughes since seeing him at the world jr's. I thought he was tremendous. Unfortunately, I think he is too similar to D'Angelo and not sure if a defense can have all three of Shat, D, and Hughes. It would be like winning a mini-Stanley Cup if we lucked our way into the top 3 to get one of those studs.

Pete
04-08-2018, 09:03 AM
I've been intrigued by Hughes since seeing him at the world jr's. I thought he was tremendous. Unfortunately, I think he is too similar to D'Angelo and not sure if a defense can have all three of Shat, D, and Hughes. It would be like winning a mini-Stanley Cup if we lucked our way into the top 3 to get one of those studs.

And Pionk...

Puck Head
04-08-2018, 02:43 PM
1- Draft Hughes with 7-9th pick
2- Kreider and Zib spend next winter hiking in South America
3- Lundy decides he wants to play for a contender
4- Draft the other Hughes next summer
5- Sign a few of the many UFA’s that summer

Enjoy many years of Hughes brothers

Drew a Penalty
04-08-2018, 02:53 PM
1- Draft Hughes with 7-9th pick
2- Kreider and Zib spend next winter hiking in South America
3- Lundy decides he wants to play for a contender
4- Draft the other Hughes next summer
5- Sign a few of the many UFA’s that summer

Enjoy many years of Hughes brothers

I am in full support of this.

Ranger Lothbrok
04-08-2018, 05:00 PM
I got this weird feeling we're going to get lucky for once with this lottery. In recent years we've bucked a lot of historic team trends.I remember in the 2013-14 season in particular I had a thread about the year of broken hexes. All stuff we hadn't done in decades that we started doing. I could see our luck changing for once with this draft too.

Then there's the part of me that knows, as amply supported by empiric evidence, that the Rangers always get screwed. For instance, we're definitely going to move back one spot to 9th.

Again, nothing to support it. Just this weird feeling I've had since we started committing fully to the rebuild.

Phil in Absentia
04-08-2018, 05:15 PM
We can only hope. The cost of trading up could be steeper than any of us are comfortable with.

josh
04-08-2018, 05:36 PM
Come on nhl conspiracy theories- let’s rig this lottery.

4EverRangerFrank
04-08-2018, 08:02 PM
Boy, that didn’t take long. Might need to edit the thread title for staying power.

Phil in Absentia
04-08-2018, 08:49 PM
Done.

Gravesy
04-09-2018, 02:28 AM
My first mock lottery on Tankathon after the season ended gave us the 3rd pick. Now, I’m not saying it’s a sign but...
It’s a sign.

Zuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuc
04-09-2018, 05:16 AM

I did the exact same thing and it was painful to watch. Luckily he's still 18(19?) so his body may not be fully "evolved" phsyically, but it certainly is a issue I hope they adress right away.

josh
04-09-2018, 07:09 AM
#kovalchukszn

04-09-2018, 08:45 AM
If both Wahlstrom and Tkachuk is available, who do you pick?

Gravesy
04-09-2018, 08:49 AM

Tkachuk for me.
Just seems to add something this team has been lacking for a long time. Namely high octane physical play, in combination with a very good all round skill set. A really tough customer, not in the McLeod mould, but with the full package to boost. Goes after every puck as if his life depended on it. We've been too nice for quite some time. I really like that about him and can see him developing into a real leader.

Phil in Absentia
04-09-2018, 08:56 AM

At 8? Tkachuk. And I dance all summer long.

Dunny
04-09-2018, 09:52 AM
They'll draft one of the undersized D-men, probably Ryan Murr.. Err.. Quinn Hughes.

Gravesy
04-09-2018, 11:00 AM
First set off lottery odds released: https://www.nhl.com/news/2018-nhl-draft-lottery-odds-announced/c-297818406

NYR have a 6% chance of getting 1st pick.

https://m.popkey.co/46a0d5/MmvL_fi-200x200.gif

ThirtyONE
04-09-2018, 02:19 PM
We have a decent chance to get into the top3. That's what I'll be looking for. Any one of those guys would be incredible.

Ozzy
04-09-2018, 02:26 PM
I don't know if anyone posted this, but I have a quick snapshot of the top 20 picks for 2018 and a little blurb on the player from: http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/sportsnets-2018-nhl-draft-prospect-rankings-march/

As we get to the end of various hockey seasons things have come into a sharper focus from a scouting POV. And with some high-end players playing in the Five Nations tournament in Plymouth since we last ranked prospects we have more peer-on-peer performances and data to draw from.

One thing that hasn’t changed at all is our top position where Rasmus Dahlin will go wire-to-wire as the top-ranked prospect and will make whichever team that wins the lottery feel a whole lot better about the miserable season that got them there.

1. Rasmus Dahlin, D, 6-foot-2, 181 pounds (Frolunda, SHL): Erik Karlsson, Victor Hedman and now Dahlin. Are you ready for the next franchise-changing defenceman from Sweden?

2. Filip Zadina, RW, 6-foot-1, 196 pounds (Halifax Mooseheads, QMJHL): The Mooseheads’ import factory strikes again and sends a high-end sniper to the top of the NHL draft.

3. Andrei Svechnikov, RW, 6-foot-2, 186 pounds (Barrie Colts, OHL): Led all scorers at the Five Nations tournament and has put up points at a torrid pace with the Barrie Colts since the world juniors (38 in 22 games).

4. Brady Tkachuk, LW, 6-foot-3, 196 pounds (Boston University, NCAA): Better than older brother Matthew?

5. Adam Boqvist, D, 5-foot-11, 170 pounds (Almtuna IS, Allsvenskan): A fantastic skater and playmaker who isn’t afraid to shoot. If you don’t end up with Dahlin, getting Boqvist is more than just a consolation prize.

6. Noah Dobson, D, 6-foot-3, 180 pounds (Acadie-Bathurst Titan, QMJHL): The secret is out, this righthand shot blueliner is legit.

7. Oliver Wahlstrom, RW, 6-foot-1, 205 pounds (USNTDP): Eight points at the Five Nations (tied with tourney leader Svechnikov) and a solid spot on the U.S U18 top line, Wahlstrom continues to produce big in his draft year.

8. Evan Bouchard, D, 6-foot-2, 193 pounds (London Knights, OHL): Despite his Knights trading away most of their vets, Bouchard has continued to excel in all areas. February’s defenceman of the month in the OHL is also a natural leader.

9. Quinn Hughes, D, 5-foot-10, 174 pounds (U of Michigan, NCAA): One of the most creative players in the draft. An outstanding skater who can create even in the most challenging situations.

10. Isac Lundestrom, C, 6-foot, 185 pounds (Lulea, SHL): As one scout told me “he’s the Swedish Patrice Bergeron.” A lofty compliment, but the comparisons are there.

11. Barrett Hayton, C, 6-foot-1, 191 pounds (Sault Ste Marie Greyhounds, OHL): Extremely focussed and hard-working, Hayton is the “all-in” guy every team loves to have. Nursing a small injury and the ‘Hounds are being careful with him.

12. Joel Farabee, LW, 6-feet, 164 pounds (USNTDP): Hard-working, skilled playmaker who is magical with the puck on his stick.

13. Bode Wilde, D, 6-foot-3, 195 pounds (USNTDP): Offensive defenceman who plays physical. Leads all USNTDP blueliners with 32 points. Hard wrist and slap shot from the point.

14. Joe Veleno, C, 6-foot-1, 195 pounds (Drummondville Voltigeurs, QMJHL): Has excelled since the trade from Saint John to Drummondville where he’s being coached by the excellent Dominique Ducharme.

15. Grigori Denisenko, LW, 5-foot-11, 176 pounds (Yaroslavl Jr.): Great passer who also boasts a good shot. Played on the top line with Andrei Svechnikov and Alexander Khovanov for Russia at the Five Nations tourney.

16. Ty Smith, D, 5-foot-11, 176 pounds (Spokane Chiefs, WHL): Speed and smarts, those are the calling cards of the first overall pick in the 2015 WHL draft.

17. Rasmus Kupari, C, 6-foot-1, 183 pounds (Hermes, Mestis Finland): Not the biggest guy on the ice by any stretch, but can create and finish. And does it all with great bursts of speed.

18. Jesperi Kotkaniemi, C, 6-foot-2, 190 pounds (Assat, Finnish Liiga): Physically he has everything you want – skill, speed, size and he keeps improving.

19. Jet Woo, D, 5-foot-11, 205 pounds (Moose Jaw Warriors, WHL): Has more than a bit of ‘old school’ in his game and isn’t afraid to throw the body around.

20. Rasmus Sandin, D, 5-foot-11, 190 pounds (Sault Ste. Marie Greyhounds, OHL): Even with the Conor Timmins (COL) injury the ‘Hounds have not skipped a beat on the blue line mainly due to Sandin’s work. Plays tough minutes in all situations.

Puck Head
04-09-2018, 03:30 PM

Tkachuk
One is ranked 4th, the other 7th.

And this draft has three tiers up top

Dahlin
Zadina, Svechnikov, Tkachuk
Boqvist, Dobson, Walstrom, Hughes

Puck Head
04-09-2018, 03:32 PM
We have a decent chance to get into the top3. That's what I'll be looking for. Any one of those guys would be incredible.

Top 4 for me

ThirtyONE
04-09-2018, 03:49 PM
Top 4 for me

We can't get into the top 4 unless we trade for it. We can get into the top 3 via lottery.

josh
04-09-2018, 03:52 PM
If we cant get in top 3, I want Kotkaniemi.

I dont see anyone in the 4+ being "franchise altering" players, necessarily. So I'd want the guy that can make the biggest aspect the fastest.

ThirtyONE
04-09-2018, 03:58 PM

I dont see anyone in the 4+ being "franchise altering" players, necessarily. So I'd want the guy that can make the biggest aspect the fastest.

Not with the 8th pick. We might be able to move up from our lower picks to get him though.

Puck Head
04-09-2018, 04:11 PM

He’s the guy you trade up from lower picks, not select with a top 10

josh
04-09-2018, 04:15 PM
He’s the guy you trade up from lower picks, not select with a top 10

That's what people like to say online.

Take a look at last years mock drafts. Guys are all over the board.

Draft is mostly luck. I'm not worried about going off the board for a guy we like.
For the most part, I trust management.

(And I'll whine regardless of the pick.)

ThirtyONE
04-09-2018, 04:22 PM
That's what people like to say online.

Take a look at last years mock drafts. Guys are all over the board.

Draft is mostly luck. I'm not worried about going off the board for a guy we like.
For the most part, I trust management.

(And I'll whine regardless of the pick.)

Last year's draft was way different than this years draft. You don't pick the 20th ranked player with the 8th pick.

josh
04-09-2018, 04:25 PM
ummm... I think you missed something, then.

:confused:

Pete
04-09-2018, 05:03 PM
ummm... I think you missed something, then.

:confused:

Exactly...

rangers02
04-09-2018, 05:11 PM
We need to Find a head coach to determine the direction of NYR and to hold this team more accountable, and make sure that Gorton needs to held accountable. If he screws up this Draft, put his head on the platter

Puck Head
04-09-2018, 05:19 PM
We need to Find a head coach to determine the direction of NYR and to hold this team more accountable, and make sure that Gorton needs to held accountable. If he screws up this Draft, put his head on the platter

We won’t know how we did in this draft for another 2-3 years

Long live the King
04-09-2018, 06:19 PM

The two things aren't related. Gorton flat out said today, the coach isn't necessary for the draft. Especially in our position, where the farm system isn't overflowing with players ready to make the jump, you draft the best players available. Doesn't matter who the coach is, draft the best player possible. And regardless of who we draft, the coach needs to be able to handle and develop young players.

josh
04-09-2018, 07:32 PM
Exactly...

Dudes about to make Bergeron a never was!

I wasn’t a fan of the pick but Lias is about to become the next captain and lead this team to glory!

04-10-2018, 05:06 AM
I don't know if anyone posted this, but I have a quick snapshot of the top 20 picks for 2018 and a little blurb on the player from: http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/sportsnets-2018-nhl-draft-prospect-rankings-march/

As we get to the end of various hockey seasons things have come into a sharper focus from a scouting POV. And with some high-end players playing in the Five Nations tournament in Plymouth since we last ranked prospects we have more peer-on-peer performances and data to draw from.

One thing that hasn’t changed at all is our top position where Rasmus Dahlin will go wire-to-wire as the top-ranked prospect and will make whichever team that wins the lottery feel a whole lot better about the miserable season that got them there.

1. Rasmus Dahlin, D, 6-foot-2, 181 pounds (Frolunda, SHL): Erik Karlsson, Victor Hedman and now Dahlin. Are you ready for the next franchise-changing defenceman from Sweden?

2. Filip Zadina, RW, 6-foot-1, 196 pounds (Halifax Mooseheads, QMJHL): The Mooseheads’ import factory strikes again and sends a high-end sniper to the top of the NHL draft.

3. Andrei Svechnikov, RW, 6-foot-2, 186 pounds (Barrie Colts, OHL): Led all scorers at the Five Nations tournament and has put up points at a torrid pace with the Barrie Colts since the world juniors (38 in 22 games).

4. Brady Tkachuk, LW, 6-foot-3, 196 pounds (Boston University, NCAA): Better than older brother Matthew?

5. Adam Boqvist, D, 5-foot-11, 170 pounds (Almtuna IS, Allsvenskan): A fantastic skater and playmaker who isn’t afraid to shoot. If you don’t end up with Dahlin, getting Boqvist is more than just a consolation prize.

6. Noah Dobson, D, 6-foot-3, 180 pounds (Acadie-Bathurst Titan, QMJHL): The secret is out, this righthand shot blueliner is legit.

7. Oliver Wahlstrom, RW, 6-foot-1, 205 pounds (USNTDP): Eight points at the Five Nations (tied with tourney leader Svechnikov) and a solid spot on the U.S U18 top line, Wahlstrom continues to produce big in his draft year.

8. Evan Bouchard, D, 6-foot-2, 193 pounds (London Knights, OHL): Despite his Knights trading away most of their vets, Bouchard has continued to excel in all areas. February’s defenceman of the month in the OHL is also a natural leader.

9. Quinn Hughes, D, 5-foot-10, 174 pounds (U of Michigan, NCAA): One of the most creative players in the draft. An outstanding skater who can create even in the most challenging situations.

10. Isac Lundestrom, C, 6-foot, 185 pounds (Lulea, SHL): As one scout told me “he’s the Swedish Patrice Bergeron.” A lofty compliment, but the comparisons are there.

11. Barrett Hayton, C, 6-foot-1, 191 pounds (Sault Ste Marie Greyhounds, OHL): Extremely focussed and hard-working, Hayton is the “all-in” guy every team loves to have. Nursing a small injury and the ‘Hounds are being careful with him.

12. Joel Farabee, LW, 6-feet, 164 pounds (USNTDP): Hard-working, skilled playmaker who is magical with the puck on his stick.

If Wahlstrom is gone before 8th (and we have the 8th pick). Would we pick one of the D-men (Bouchard, Hughes) or would you like to see us trade down some spots and pick Farabee? I dont want a C with the first pick and I just feel like there is enough good D-men later in the 1st so dont want to use our 1st on a D either.

Ozzy
04-10-2018, 10:03 AM
I think it would be hard to miss on any of the top 10. They're all looking pretty good shots at being career NHL'ers, and that's rare in a draft. Then again, this draft is actually ranked as one of the best in recent history as per the folks who know it best, so I'm not surprised. Josh said it best; we're all going to second guess what we pick and the results of this draft won't be felt for a couple of years down the pike.

I just would think we take the best player available when we get our 3 chances in the first round.

I'm actually pretty confident we know what we're doing this year....Lord knows we've had lots of time to plan ahead!!! =)

Dunny
04-10-2018, 11:11 AM
Dobson could be a huge asset considering his RH shot.

Gravesy
04-10-2018, 11:21 AM
I think it would be hard to miss on any of the top 10. They're all looking pretty good shots at being career NHL'ers, and that's rare in a draft. Then again, this draft is actually ranked as one of the best in recent history as per the folks who know it best, so I'm not surprised. Josh said it best; we're all going to second guess what we pick and the results of this draft won't be felt for a couple of years down the pike.

I just would think we take the best player available when we get our 3 chances in the first round.

I'm actually pretty confident we know what we're doing this year....Lord knows we've had lots of time to plan ahead!!! =)

Yeah. I guess the difference lies in the top 4, who most consider to be NHL ready from day 1.

Ozzy
04-10-2018, 12:45 PM
I'm with you, Gravesy! I'm hoping for just getting some good, solid young players that are going to be able to grow into good NHL players. Trying to reach for a star is always the "crap shoot". But yeah man, I'm thinking we're going to do pretty well just being in the top 10.

SaveByRichter35
04-10-2018, 01:09 PM
Idk who the hell I would want out of these top guys. Considering the shambles our D is Dahlin is the most likely candidate to fulfill our needs should we get the #1 pick. If we don't, but land in 2 or 3, or just keep our pick...fuck if I know. Do we still take one of the numerous top Dmen, though below Dahlin? Even though we do, or did, score a lot despite not having that bonafide goal scorer do we go for one of those in Tkachuk, Zadina, Svechnikov, or Wahlstrom? Its one of those situations where its a nice problem to have.

Ozzy
04-10-2018, 01:20 PM
Idk who the hell I would want out of these top guys. Considering the shambles our D is Dahlin is the most likely candidate to fulfill our needs should we get the #1 pick. If we don't, but land in 2 or 3, or just keep our pick...fuck if I know. Do we still take one of the numerous top Dmen, though below Dahlin? Even though we do, or did, score a lot despite not having that bonafide goal scorer do we go for one of those in Tkachuk, Zadina, Svechnikov, or Wahlstrom? Its one of those situations where its a nice problem to have.

If we get any of those guys, I'll probably have a keg party at my house that weekend!

Just a side question fellas: What's the deal on Brady Tkachuk?

I see all kinds of conflicting shit about him; (he's good, he's a dick, he's an agitator, he's a franchise player)....what's the real deal? I trust you guys more than the ass hats on social shit media.

Puck Head
04-10-2018, 01:27 PM

If we land 2-4, is the almost certainly have to take a forward. That’s the next tier of prospects after Dahlin.

Even Dahlin will take a few years to adjust and become a top defenseman. Any other defenseman probably is 2-3 years away from playing in the NHL, and another 2 years from being a big contributor.

Im hoping in 4 years our defense doesn’t look like this anyways

Puck Head
04-10-2018, 01:29 PM
If we get any of those guys, I'll probably have a keg party at my house that weekend!

I see all kinds of conflicting shit about him; (he's good, he's a dick, he's an agitator, he's a franchise player)....what's the real deal? I trust you guys more than the ass hats on social shit media.

Tkachuk is about identical to his brother
But a tad larger, stronger, faster, and meaner

So we know about exactly why he is by looking at his brother

Ozzy
04-10-2018, 01:31 PM
Tkachuk is about identical to his brother
But a tad larger, stronger, faster, and meaner

So we know about exactly why he is by looking at his brother

That works for me! Thanks Puck!! He's be a pretty good score for us then! We sure as hell can use: "larger, stronger, faster, and meaner"

ThirtyONE
04-10-2018, 02:53 PM

Hard to know because I don't think many/any of us watch these guys play regularly but Ray Ferraro said he'd pick him #2 overall if it was his decision. So you have that and then you have people who say he's #5. Personally, I think he's the perfect player to kick start a rebuild here. He could change the culture immediately and bring excitement immediately. He's not a heavy weight by any means but he's a pest and likes to stir shit up while also being fucking good as scoring goals.

That said, there's a lot of talent. The chance of us having a shot at him are slim. It'll be interesting to see if Gorton tries to slide up a few spots. He's tried 3 times in the last 3 years, and actually did it last year. I think we could see some movement.

Gravesy
04-10-2018, 04:42 PM
I think I’d pick Tkachuk as #2.
Zadina and Svechnikov will almost certainly score more and put up more points than him. Most analysts project him as a 60-70 point player. But as opposed to the others he’s the full package. A proper 200 foot player. Excellent in the defensive zone. Great skater. Smart on the puck. Plays every shift as if his life depends on it. Is a total pest and a nightmare to play against. Like I’ve said several times he adds a level of physical play we’ve been missing for a long time.

Long live the King
04-10-2018, 04:57 PM
Zadina and Svechnikov will almost certainly score more and put up more points than him. Most analysts project him as a 60-70 point player. But as opposed to the others he’s the full package. A proper 200 foot player. Excellent in the defensive zone. Great skater. Smart on the puck. Plays every shift as if his life depends on it. Is a total pest and a nightmare to play against. Like I’ve said several times he adds a level of physical play we’ve been missing for a long time.

We've also been missing a 40 goal scorer...

ThirtyONE
04-10-2018, 04:57 PM

But this is my question that I've been asking myself, because I am high on Tkachuk, do we want a 60 pt player? Or do we want Patrick Laine (if we're lucky enough to move into the top 3)? One seems easier to find than the other. This team has never drafted a sniper/star since I can remember. Someone who's a game changer. I don't know if that's what Tkachuk is while Zadina and Svechnikov are.

The team sucks because our highest point scoring player has 53 points. That absolutely has to change and I'm not sure if Tkachuk does that.

josh
04-10-2018, 05:07 PM

Reminds me of the Jordan Staal pick.
Almost everything about it.

Pete
04-10-2018, 05:37 PM
But this is my question that I've been asking myself, because I am high on Tkachuk, do we want a 60 pt player? Or do we want Patrick Laine (if we're lucky enough to move into the top 3)? One seems easier to find than the other. This team has never drafted a sniper/star since I can remember. Someone who's a game changer. I don't know if that's what Tkachuk is while Zadina and Svechnikov are.

The team sucks because our highest point scoring player has 53 points. That absolutely has to change and I'm not sure if Tkachuk does that.Bingo. Stepan was a 55 point player who played a 200ft game. You can get that in R2

So Nashty
04-10-2018, 06:41 PM
surprised we havent heard more from the organization today.. wasnt it break-up day? (is that what they call it? doesnt sound right)

Long live the King
04-10-2018, 07:07 PM
surprised we havent heard more from the organization today.. wasnt it break-up day? (is that what they call it? doesnt sound right)The Ranger website has interviews from a bunch of the players following their team exit interview

Sent from my [device_name] using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Drew a Penalty
04-10-2018, 08:39 PM

The team sucks because our highest point scoring player has 53 points. That absolutely has to change and I'm not sure if Tkachuk does that.

I tend to agree with this and I'll throw Wahlstrom's name in there too. There are three very capable goal scorers between Svechnikov, Zadina and Wahlstrom. The Rangers shouldn't pass up on a type of player they've struggled so much to develop over the years.

jsrangers
04-10-2018, 09:01 PM
Skjei - Pionk
Staal - Shattenkirk
Smith - DeAngelo
Lindgren

I would respectfully disagree there's not enough turd polish to do anything meaningful with that D group. That first pair is likely third pair on a true cup contender. I don't blame everything on AV, Skjei stunk and Pionk who knows he's only played in garbage time. True talent would shine through once the guys are on the ice and they showed very little. The defense will kill this team and the any goalie unlucky enough to get the call. O'Gara and Gilmour have no business even being in the mix imo.

Gravesy
04-11-2018, 05:18 AM

Yes, but the team also sucks because it gets completely dominated physically and doesn't have a player that can grab a game by the scruff of its neck. I don't think a player like Tkachuk is that easy to find either. He's complete. He's every bit as much a great player in all 3 zones - defensively and offensively - as he is a pest, horrible to play against and a guy that leads from the front.

You can get that in R2

No. You can get a 200 ft player in R2. There's a reason why Tkachuk has been consistently top 4 in an incredibly deep draft in most analysts projections for a year. It's because he is a vastly superior 200ft player to everybody else in the draft, and so good that he projected higher than loads of incredibly talented specialists.

Look, I can see the argument of going for Zadina or Svechnikov if we're lucky enough to get in position. I just feel like Tkachuk is someone that can make an incredible impact on this organization.

Pete
04-11-2018, 07:40 AM
Yes, but the team also sucks because it gets completely dominated physically and doesn't have a player that can grab a game by the scruff of its neck. I don't think a player like Tkachuk is that easy to find either. He's complete. He's every bit as much a great player in all 3 zones - defensively and offensively - as he is a pest, horrible to play against and a guy that leads from the front.

No. You can get a 200 ft player in R2. There's a reason why Tkachuk has been consistently top 4 in an incredibly deep draft in most analysts projections for a year. It's because he is a vastly superior 200ft player to everybody else in the draft, and so good that he projected higher than loads of incredibly talented specialists.

Look, I can see the argument of going for Zadina or Svechnikov if we're lucky enough to get in position. I just feel like Tkachuk is someone that can make an incredible impact on this organization.I haven't followed the draft prospects this year...but if the 60 point ceiling is being thrown around I can't understand using a top 4 pick there when there are legitimate game breaking goal scorers there.

We haven't had a pure goal generator on the team since Gaborik was good.

Gravesy
04-11-2018, 08:51 AM
I haven't followed the draft prospects this year...but if the 60 point ceiling is being thrown around I can't understand using a top 4 pick there when there are legitimate game breaking goal scorers there.

We haven't had a pure goal generator on the team since Gaborik was good.

60-70 points. And it's because most analysts appear to agree he's a special player with a fairly unique skillset. A complete 200 ft player who delivers around the 70 point mark and adds grit, energy and a great physical presence doesn't exactly grow on trees. In that points bracket this season you find guys like Brayden Schenn for example.

Like I said though, I can definitely see the argument for going after Zadina or Svechnikov should the opportunity be there.

Drew a Penalty
04-11-2018, 09:10 AM
The question is whether Tkachuk has that 60-70 point skillset. His production at the WJC was good while his production at Boston College was average in comparison to other top players who were either NCAA draftees or D+1 players at around the same age. His game is likable. He goes to the dirty areas and can make or finish plays there because of how intelligent he is. He's not a player who has a standout skill that's tangible though. Grit maybe.

I'd still prefer one of Zadina, Svechnikov or Wahlstrom just because they have those shots that make a difference. Tkachuk can power on goal, but he's not known for his shot. Those three are scorers.

lefty9
04-11-2018, 09:16 AM
I'll be very happy to get any of the top 3 forwards, even one of the top four forwards

Pete
04-11-2018, 09:22 AM
The question is whether Tkachuk has that 60-70 point skillset. His production at the WJC was good while his production at Boston College was average in comparison to other top players who were either NCAA draftees or D+1 players at around the same age. His game is likable. He goes to the dirty areas and can make or finish plays there because of how intelligent he is. He's not a player who has a standout skill that's tangible though. Grit maybe.

I'd still prefer one of Zadina, Svechnikov or Wahlstrom just because they have those shots that make a difference. Tkachuk can power on goal, but he's not known for his shot. Those three are scorers.

And this is the difference. I don't care about points, I want to focus on goals. If the team needs a 70 point player... that's a 35/35 guy, not a guy that's more 20/50.

04-11-2018, 09:26 AM
And this is the difference. I don't care about points, I want to focus on goals. If the team needs a 70 point player... that's a 35/35 guy, not a guy that's more 20/50.

I would have a boner from the draft untill the first game of the season if we got Wahlstrom at 8th. 40 goals and 43 assist this season, that boy can score goals.

NYR2711
04-11-2018, 09:43 AM

This is exactly what they should be concerned with. We need someone who can score goals period. That should be the main thing to get in this draft.

Gravesy
04-11-2018, 09:44 AM

I think most describe him as a 30/30 + guy.
But if we're looking for goals it's Zadina all the way imo. A bonafide sniper.

Long live the King
04-11-2018, 12:03 PM
I agree with all this, and I already had this argument with Puck Head. If we get into the 2 or 3 spot it's Zadina or Svechinkov. At 8, hopefully Walhstrom is still there. Even more hope, Boston gets ousted in the 1st round and we can land Kotkaniemi in the early 20's. If Kotkaniemi is gone by the early 20's, then I go D in that spot and look for Bokk with the Tampa pick. Long story short, draft some shooters.

Drew a Penalty
04-11-2018, 12:24 PM
I’m expecting a defenseman if the Rangers remain at 8 or are moved back by the lottery. One of Dobson, Bouchard, Hughes or Smith will be available. If you’re trying to replace McDonagh at some point there’s your chance. If Wahlstrom falls back to 8 then I’d absolutely grab him.

For the later two picks it all just depends on where they are. I’d go with some assortment of Kaut, Lundkvist, Woo, Bokk and Kravtsov.

Move into top 3 and it’s BPA.

Long live the King
04-11-2018, 12:34 PM
I’m expecting a defenseman if the Rangers remain at 8 or are moved back by the lottery. One of Dobson, Bouchard, Hughes or Smith will be available. If you’re trying to replace McDonagh at some point there’s your chance. If Wahlstrom falls back to 8 then I’d absolutely grab him.

For the later two picks it all just depends on where they are. I’d go with some assortment of Kaut, Lundkvist, Woo, Bokk and Kravtsov.

Forgot about Kaut...

Zadina - Chytil - Kaut = Czech Posse 2.0

Drew a Penalty
04-11-2018, 12:36 PM
Forgot about Kaut...

Zadina - Chytil - Kaut = Czech Posse 2.0

Most have. He's a late first who could definitely be around for a Ranger pick. My only issue is that he's only slightly older than Chytil and doesn't have a particularly special skillset. Will his playmaking translate? We'll see. He's been solid in Extraliga.

Puck Head
04-11-2018, 02:31 PM

His brother paced out on a 30/30 season in his second year for Calgary.
He did play on the second line, i assume if/when he moves with Johnny G those numbers go up.

Younger brother for all intensive purposes is better than Matthew in every facet.

That being said, i don’t think I’d pick him before 3 or 4

Giacomin
04-11-2018, 02:56 PM

Not sure how many folks caught the NCAA tourney. I watched a few Mich and BU games. Hughes looked much better than he did in the world Jrs. His skating and offensive skillset was always evident, but he looked small and lost on D. Now he is much more confident and better defensively, even if he still needs a lot more seasoning there. He is dynamic with a lot of upside. I'd take him before Dobson or Smith.

Tkachuk was impressive too and had a dominant presence on the ice. He compares to the talented 2 way power forwards of the past. Like his father and he'll probably become a better version of his brother. He has a little Cam Neely or Iginla in him. He has softer/better hands than his brother so he is very capable of 30/30 once he is mature. He is certainly worthy of a top 3-4 pick. Zadina does have some Laine characteristics which makes him very tempting. But I might take Tkachuk 3rd, after Zadina.

The other gem of the draft, not spoken about enough is Boqvist. After Rasmus, he should easily be the next Dman selected. Talk about a dynamic, explosive defensemen. This kid could be great and if the Rangers end up 8th or 9th, I'd be tempted to trade up a few picks to nab him. The top 5 picks seem easy. If we don't win our 19% chance at a top 3, I'd consider trading up to get either pick #4 or #5, if possible.

ThirtyONE
04-11-2018, 03:57 PM

This would be a real mind fuck.

Slobberknocker
04-11-2018, 04:02 PM
Dobson could be a huge asset considering his RH shot.

i thought the same thing given all the complaining about this in other threads.

he is a bit on the small size however. i watched some highlights but frankly they are hard to discern how good he is as it really moves at a snail pace to the nhl.

Drew a Penalty
04-11-2018, 04:52 PM
This would be a real mind fuck.

He's a defenseman who has quickly risen on some lists. He's really talented, but because he's been such a late riser he's bound to have flown under some radars.

Drew a Penalty
04-11-2018, 04:56 PM
i thought the same thing given all the complaining about this in other threads.

he is a bit on the small size however. i watched some highlights but frankly they are hard to discern how good he is as it really moves at a snail pace to the nhl.

He's lanky, but he's not small. He's bound to fill out his frame. He does a lot of things right though. I wasn't too big on him because he's not flashy. He's been too good to ignore though. He's very close to being ready for the next level. He's one of the stronger candidates to be a top pairing defenseman.

Long live the King
04-11-2018, 05:19 PM
He's lanky, but he's not small. He's bound to fill out his frame. He does a lot of things right though. I wasn't too big on him because he's not flashy. He's been too good to ignore though. He's very close to being ready for the next level. He's one of the stronger candidates to be a top pairing defenseman.

That's probably my favorite part about our draft choices last year. Obviously you want to pick the best players availible, but the ability to send a player from Europe to the AHL seems to have really benefited Chytil and Andersson. Seems silly to force these kids that dominate junior, to return to junior if they aren't quite ready for the NHL. Maybe they'll address that in the next CBA as the league continues to get younger and younger.

Pete
04-11-2018, 07:09 PM
That's probably my favorite part about our draft choices last year. Obviously you want to pick the best players availible, but the ability to send a player from Europe to the AHL seems to have really benefited Chytil and Andersson. Seems silly to force these kids that dominate junior, to return to junior if they aren't quite ready for the NHL. Maybe they'll address that in the next CBA as the league continues to get younger and younger.
I don't think there is anything they can do about the age restriction for the AHL. If they lifted it, the CHL would be decimated because that draft-ready age group would just go right to the AHL.

Long live the King
04-11-2018, 08:18 PM
I don't think there is anything they can do about the age restriction for the AHL. If they lifted it, the CHL would be decimated because that draft-ready age group would just go right to the AHL.I don't think there are that many 18 or 19 year olds in this group that it would decimate the CHL. We're talking roughly 2 per NHL team, and that doesn't mean all of those drafted teens would necessarily go to the A. But it's stupid to force a 19 yo that's already dominated the CHL to go back for another year. It would probably be better for the CHL as these players are frequently trade to the same teams as teams load up for memorial cup runs...

Sent from my [device_name] using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

torontonyr
04-12-2018, 09:58 AM
16 days till the lottery boys

Long live the King
04-12-2018, 10:01 AM
:nervous:

Can't wait.

04-12-2018, 10:19 AM

... And the 11th overall pick goes to - The New York Rangers!

SaveByRichter35
04-12-2018, 11:52 AM

YOU STFU!!! lol

ThirtyONE
04-12-2018, 12:36 PM

Nah. I have a good feeling about this. Top 3 baby!

Ozzy
04-12-2018, 01:07 PM
My gut feeling is we're going 7th and Wahlstrom is our man

Long live the King
04-12-2018, 01:16 PM
My gut feeling is we're going 7th and Wahlstrom is our man

what are we trading to move up?

Respecttheblue
04-12-2018, 01:35 PM

I'm psyched up with totally unreasonable expectations ... psyched I tell ya ... hoping they will not be dashed with more lame draft-pickery.

How bout youuuu. Trying to think positive, but the track record scares me a bit about our ability to draft top line players.

Respecttheblue
04-12-2018, 01:45 PM

Curious how does having Libor Hajek and Ryan Lindgren in the system affect management's calculus on this. ... do we still need to go D at 8?

We're so deficient in finishing/scoring upfront it's getting scary. It seems urgent that we address the need to draft impact forwards when we have a chance. Yeah, I know. Defense is sucking balls too. Oh well.

While I agree BPA is the best course the further down we go, if we do go D, it needs to be an impact top-pairing defenseman, like the kind we passed on the last time we went of the board with McIlrath.

Phil in Absentia
04-12-2018, 08:21 PM
BPA. Always. No matter the situation. I'd rather have an abundance of assets to trade for what they need than to draft based on needs that can change on a whim.

Drew a Penalty
04-12-2018, 08:52 PM
BPA. Always. No matter the situation. I'd rather have an abundance of assets to trade for what they need than to draft based on needs that can change on a whim.

This. You should pretty much only be going BPA there. Plus neither Lindgren nor Hajek have the potential that Hughes, Bouchard, Smith or Dobson have. Those are all guys who could end up on a first pair if they continue developing properly.

Ozzy
04-13-2018, 09:51 AM

I can sense some moves coming, and the draft is a great time to get a solid player like that. I just don't feel like Gorton is going to ink EVERYONE of those RFA's under the current cap, so dealing someone to make some room makes sense in order to move up to get a guy like Wahlstrom,....if he's still there.

It's just a gut feeling; a prediction.

phillyb™
04-13-2018, 10:16 AM

I think I understand this question...because of where we finished (8th from last), we can only be awarded certain picks in the draft - 1, 2, 3 and then anywhere from 8-11, right?

Long live the King
04-13-2018, 10:19 AM
I can sense some moves coming, and the draft is a great time to get a solid player like that. I just don't feel like Gorton is going to ink EVERYONE of those RFA's under the current cap, so dealing someone to make some room makes sense in order to move up to get a guy like Wahlstrom,....if he's still there.

It's just a gut feeling; a prediction.

Moving up from from 8 (especially just one spot) isn't really worth it. Although my preference would be Wahlstrom, if he goes 7th, we still get a really good player in one of the D on the board. If we're gonna trade a RFA to move up, I think it's more likely to be to move one of the late firsts into the teens. Especially if they don't get Wahlstrom at 8, moving into the late teens from the late 20's to grab Kotkaniemi would be a great move. Say Florida for example. They have a lot of young skilled forwards. They could use a defensive guy like Hayes. Would they be interested in Hayes and the 31st pick for the 15th pick...

Long live the King
04-13-2018, 10:21 AM
I think I understand this question...because of where we finished (8th from last), we can only be awarded certain picks in the draft - 1, 2, 3 and then anywhere from 8-11, right?

Right, and trading up one spot doesn't make sense because as much as I want Wahlstrom, if he's gone, getting one of the D on the board without giving anything up is the smarter move.

phillyb™
04-13-2018, 10:30 AM
Yeah gotcha. I see your other post about moving one of the later picks into the teens. That seems like it'd be more cost-effective than to try and move into the top 4.

Kevin
04-13-2018, 10:32 AM
Moving up from from 8 (especially just one spot) isn't really worth it. Although my preference would be Wahlstrom, if he goes 7th, we still get a really good player in one of the D on the board. If we're gonna trade a RFA to move up, I think it's more likely to be to move one of the late firsts into the teens. Especially if they don't get Wahlstrom at 8, moving into the late teens from the late 20's to grab Kotkaniemi would be a great move. Say Florida for example. They have a lot of young skilled forwards. They could use a defensive guy like Hayes. Would they be interested in Hayes and the 31st pick for the 15th pick...

Why do you feel this way? I've also seen a couple of others write the same, about it not being worth moving up. In the NFL it seems to happen all the time with varying degree of results. Why is it not a thing in the NHL draft?

Long live the King
04-13-2018, 10:38 AM
Why do you feel this way? I've also seen a couple of others write the same, about it not being worth moving up. In the NFL it seems to happen all the time with varying degree of results. Why is it not a thing in the NHL draft?

The NFL is different because it is so position based and you're not drafting teenagers. I'd prefer Wahlstrom because he can put the puck in the net, but if he's picked at 6 or 7, there will be 2-3 excellent D prospects there at 8 that will be just as beneficial to the future and we don't have to give up extra assets to get them.

Phil in Absentia
04-13-2018, 11:03 AM
Moving up is almost never worth it. You end up giving up too much in the aggregate to justify the pick you make. Moving back, in most cases, is actually smarter.

phillyb™
04-13-2018, 11:10 AM
Moving up is almost never worth it. You end up giving up too much in the aggregate to justify the pick you make. Moving back, in most cases, is actually smarter.

Take other people's assets, still get a pick. Cool.

Gravesy
04-13-2018, 11:50 AM
Moving from 8 to somewhere in the 5-7 range doesn’t make a whole lot of sense in this draft. There is very little between the players in that bracket. Moving to top 4 would be different, but you’d have to give up an awful lot to swing it.

NYR2711
04-13-2018, 01:38 PM

Problem is, when have the Rangers done this in the first round?

josh
04-13-2018, 01:40 PM

Ranger Lothbrok
04-13-2018, 01:40 PM
Problem is, when have the Rangers done this in the first round?

Agree with this. We seldom ever follow the BPA strategy. We always seem to draft a player that indicates we think we know better than every other scouting service out there.

josh
04-13-2018, 01:44 PM
Most teams will take biggest impact player over best available player in the first round.

Long live the King
04-13-2018, 02:02 PM
Agree with this. We seldom ever follow the BPA strategy. We always seem to draft a player that indicates we think we know better than every other scouting service out there.

This isn't true.

Phil in Absentia
04-13-2018, 02:13 PM
They've tried to outsmart the scouts a few times. But not always. Miller, Kreider, Staal, Skjei, etc were all fine picks.

Long live the King
04-13-2018, 02:43 PM
They've tried to outsmart the scouts a few times. But not always. Miller, Kreider, Staal, Skjei, etc were all fine picks.

What about DelZotto? Sure we could have picked John Carlson, but Greg Nemisz, Tyler Cuma, Anton Gustafsson, Chet Pickard, Colten Teubert, and Kyle Beach were also picked ahead of him. Those 6 guys have combined for 40 NHL games. In the 11 years Gorton has been here the only thing you can point to is McIllrath. And even then Sather was the GM at the time. They've also gotten Stepan in the 2nd, Fast in the 6th, Buch and Duclair in the 3rd, Shestyorkin in the 4th. They also found Georgiev. I think we've done quite well bringing in as much youth as possible since Gorton's be around, especially when you consider we had 1 top 50 pick in the 4 drafts between 2013 and 2016.

Phil in Absentia
04-13-2018, 02:51 PM
Del Zotto was probably fine, too. I'd have to look back at where he projected, but it was probably right around that 20-mark.

josh
04-13-2018, 03:02 PM
Del Zotto was probably fine, too. I'd have to look back at where he projected, but it was probably right around that 20-mark.

The issue we had taking him was it was the year following Sanguienetti.
Plus, just re-signed Malik & Roszival, with Staal coming up. I remember discussing it being the wrong time to take a defender... but, he was "closer to the nhl" then most guys available at that pick.

I remember wanted to get a Swede because we just saw Henrik put up a big numbers, but I know I didnt want a Dman... so I cant say I wanted Karlsson.

Puck Head
04-13-2018, 03:04 PM
Moving from 8 to somewhere in the 5-7 range doesn’t make a whole lot of sense in this draft. There is very little between the players in that bracket. Moving to top 4 would be different, but you’d have to give up an awful lot to swing it.

Agree with this.
The 2nd tier is picks 2, 3, and 4

Long live the King
04-13-2018, 05:29 PM
The issue we had taking him was it was the year following Sanguienetti.
Plus, just re-signed Malik & Roszival, with Staal coming up. I remember discussing it being the wrong time to take a defender... but, he was "closer to the nhl" then most guys available at that pick.

I remember wanted to get a Swede because we just saw Henrik put up a big numbers, but I know I didnt want a Dman... so I cant say I wanted Karlsson.

That right there is a testament to BPA over organizational depth/need...

Fatfrancesa
04-14-2018, 09:12 AM
What about DelZotto? Sure we could have picked John Carlson, but Greg Nemisz, Tyler Cuma, Anton Gustafsson, Chet Pickard, Colten Teubert, and Kyle Beach were also picked ahead of him. Those 6 guys have combined for 40 NHL games. In the 11 years Gorton has been here the only thing you can point to is McIllrath. And even then Sather was the GM at the time. They've also gotten Stepan in the 2nd, Fast in the 6th, Buch and Duclair in the 3rd, Shestyorkin in the 4th. They also found Georgiev. I think we've done quite well bringing in as much youth as possible since Gorton's be around, especially when you consider we had 1 top 50 pick in the 4 drafts between 2013 and 2016.

What gm doesn’t find some guys. Every team in the league has done an ok job finding some talent.

Pete
04-14-2018, 11:26 AM
I mean Andersson last year a little off the board, IIRC, wasn't he?

Dunny
04-14-2018, 12:19 PM
Yes, pretty far off the board actually, usually see him anywhere from 12th-25th in 2017 pre-draft rankings.

Giacomin
04-14-2018, 03:33 PM

I keep thinking of Boqvist as a wildcard though. Take Rasmus out of the equation and he'd be discussed as the best dman in the draft and a gamebreaker. He's my clear cut #5 and belongs more with the talent at 2-4 than the group from 6-9. I think this will vet out as we near the draft.

I'd have no problem trading Spooner, our 8th pick and a 3rd to take Boqvist at #5. Frankly, I'd probably give both 3rd rounders or the Devils 2nd, if necessary. And I like Spoons, but this kid has upside and is explosive. Upside potential: A shorter, faster Brian Leetch.

Let's extrapolate further. Sabres have over a 50% chance of drafting 4th and want game changing Dman badly. They may have him slotted over Tkachuk, or so might some other team. Brady becomes the #5 pick. I'd make the same trade.

I'm hoping the Sabres end up 4 and would be willing to swap to 8. They fell into Casey Mittelstadt last year at 8, when we passed on him. They need some vet leadership (Zuc!) and D (Shatty?) and will still be in position to get a top D prospect and additional picks.

I'm fine trading up if we are targeting.

Giacomin
04-14-2018, 03:43 PM
That right there is a testament to BPA over organizational depth/need...

exactly. that whole mess of a way of thinking will get you twisted and fucked.

and because we took MDZ last year, we pass on an offensive minded Fowler to select Dylan, 'a better organizational fit'.

Giacomin
04-14-2018, 05:30 PM
This highlight vid (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7PBrJD5uzRk)gives a peak of why I think he'll be special. I want this on my blueline! Note: These are from when he is 16/17 years old!!

Meatloaf no less. Shoulda went with Bat out of Hell, the kid flies. Fun watch regardless, chilling.

Sod16
04-16-2018, 01:41 AM
Lundqvist turns down Sweden. Good. This will be his first really long off season rest. No Playoffs, no World Championships, No World Cup of Hockey. Perfect.

BTW. I hate when people criticize a perfectly defensible draft pick by pointing out three players still on the board who turned out better. That will almost always be the case. If a guy turns out better than 27 of the next 30 players picked, isn't that pretty good? Brian Leetch was 9th. Does that make the 8 GMs who passed on him all bad assessors of talent? Obviously, when you take a guy generally rated pretty well below where you take him, you open yourself up to criticism, but good GMs have balls. I remember when the Wild used the No. 15 pick to take Brent Burns who was rated a late 2d rounder. The beat writers and posters here in MN when berserk.

Pete
04-16-2018, 02:37 AM
Have to wonder why Hank was playing hurt in a lost season.

josh
04-16-2018, 06:47 AM
ego?

Morphinity
04-16-2018, 08:22 AM
Wouldn't his ego make him want to play in the WC too?

Vodka Drunkenski
04-16-2018, 08:34 AM
Was he injured?

Morphinity
04-16-2018, 08:38 AM
Was he injured?

He stated that he's not playing in the WC because of a knee injury he's had nagging him over the course of the season.

https://nypost.com/2018/04/15/henrik-lundqvist-chooses-his-knees-health-over-country/

Henrik Lundqvist declined an invitation to join Team Sweden for the World Championships while citing the knee issue he first referenced at the Rangers’ breakup day on April 10 as the reason.

Lundqvist, who originally sustained the left MCL injury during Tre Kronor’s run to the title last spring, underwent an MRI exam last week that revealed no structural damage.

https://nypost.com/2018/04/10/henrik-lundqvist-reveals-injury-he-battled-most-of-the-year/

Goalies play through injuries, too.

That was the reminder from Henrik Lundqvist on Rangers breakup day Tuesday, when the franchise netminder revealed he had been playing through a knee injury suffered in late-October that was managed for the rest of the regular season.

“From the start of the season, it was fine. It felt good. Then got bumped into early on, late October or November,” Lundqvist said, noting that it was the same knee he hurt in the World Championships last spring after he joined Team Sweden following the Blueshirts’ second-round exit at the hands of the Senators.

“After that, it’s been there. Something I had to deal with … it’s not affecting my play, but it’s something that every day you have to look after. It’s not ideal, but I think it’s part of playing in this league, too. You play every day and you just have to make sure you do whatever is necessary to be ready to play. But now I see an opportunity to get the right treatments and feel 100 percent.”

So obviously the question is why he was playing at all.

Vodka Drunkenski
04-16-2018, 08:42 AM
Yea, they should've shut him down right after the deadline or when they decided to give up on the season, if that was the case.

Pete
04-16-2018, 09:29 AM
I don't understand how an MCL injury doesn't effect play.

But I'm clearly not a doctor.

Dunny
04-16-2018, 10:43 AM
It's clearly an excuse to not go, which I'm fine with

Puck Head
04-16-2018, 03:21 PM
Final Central Scouting Rankings are out.

North American Skaters
1- SVECHNIKOV, ANDREI (Right Wing)
2- TKACHUK, BRADY (Left Wing)
3- ZADINA, FILIP (Right Wing)
4- BOUCHARD, EVAN (Defenseman)
5- DOBSON, NOAH (Defenseman)
6- HUGHES, QUINTIN (Defenseman)
7- WAHLSTROM, OLIVER (Right Wing)
8- VELENO, JOSEPH (Center)
9- HAYTON, BARRETT (Center)
10- NOEL, SERRON (Right Wing)

European Skaters
1- DAHLIN, RASMUS (Defenseman)
2- BOQVIST, ADAM (Defenseman)
3- KRAVTSOV, VITALI (Right Wing)
4- KAUT, MARTIN (Right Wing)
5- GINNING, ADAM (Defenseman)

A few things stand out.
Tkachuk swapped with Zadina taking over 2nd spot.
Hughes dropped from 4th to 6th.
Dobson jumped from 8th to 5th.

And keep a eye on Jack Drury. Jumped from 60th to 27, son of Ted and nephew of Chris.

josh
04-16-2018, 03:29 PM
Ryan Merkley down to 45?

Giacomin
04-16-2018, 03:33 PM

North American Skaters

European Skaters

A few things stand out.

Thanks Puck, there really is an elite 9, so it is likely we will be able to pick one. IMO, after Dahlin there are 2 groups of terrific prospects:

Tkachuk, Zadina, Svechnikov and Boqvist needs to be in the conversation, his upside is sky high.

Bouchard, Hughes, Wahlstrom and Dobson present their own reasons to get excited. In about two months one of these 9 players should be our 1st round pick. And a NY Ranger!

Puck Head
04-16-2018, 03:35 PM
Ryan Merkley down to 45?

Very skilled, but size, work ethic,and decision making seem to be a concern

Dunny
04-16-2018, 08:54 PM
I'm going to be so mad if they pick a 5'8 170 lbs D- man.

phillyb™
04-16-2018, 10:32 PM
I'm going to be so mad if they pick a 5'8 170 lbs D- man.

It seems like we already have 6 of those.

Sod16
04-17-2018, 03:06 AM
Grabner scratched for Game 3. Kinda think he's very available to us if we want him. I still do. What's the harm? The contract will be modest.

04-17-2018, 03:55 AM

North American Skaters

European Skaters

A few things stand out.

And keep a eye on Jack Drury. Jumped from 60th to 27, son of Ted and nephew of Chris.

So Wahlstrom is 9th? Go and get him!

Strange to see Tkachuk ahead of Zadina. Feels like Svechnikov/Zadina has been locks for 2-3 the entire year. I think I would still go for Zadina at 3rd tho.

ThirtyONE
04-17-2018, 10:04 PM
Grabner scratched for Game 3. Kinda think he's very available to us if we want him. I still do. What's the harm? The contract will be modest.

I say no. Why would we want him? We need change. If I were him I'd sign wherever AV does. He's clearly a product of the system.

Giacomin
04-18-2018, 12:24 AM
I say no. Why would we want him? We need change. If I were him I'd sign wherever AV does. He's clearly a product of the system.

You watched him. He was a product of his defense, speed, hockey sense and effort. His goals did not come from long stretch passes or him sneakily hanging the wing. He caused turnovers, big time turnovers and converted on enough of them. Defense + speed + anticipation + physical specimen will work with any coach that leverages that role in the lineup. Good quiet example for the kids too.

I get this idea about getting the bad taste out of our mouth, but Grabs was consistent for us. He's tough in the playoffs, wants to be with a team that wants to be fast, excellent PKer/defender, slots up the lineup and now he's gonna be cheaper. Any other better FA forwards out there for say 2/3 years at 3.2mil?

It is not necessary to get any forwards in FA, but if we are bargain shopping and want to not ice guys like Holland and Carey....

ThirtyONE
04-18-2018, 03:35 AM
You watched him. He was a product of his defense, speed, hockey sense and effort. His goals did not come from long stretch passes or him sneakily hanging the wing. He caused turnovers, big time turnovers and converted on enough of them. Defense + speed + anticipation + physical specimen will work with any coach that leverages that role in the lineup. Good quiet example for the kids too.

I get this idea about getting the bad taste out of our mouth, but Grabs was consistent for us. He's tough in the playoffs, wants to be with a team that wants to be fast, excellent PKer/defender, slots up the lineup and now he's gonna be cheaper. Any other better FA forwards out there for say 2/3 years at 3.2mil?

It is not necessary to get any forwards in FA, but if we are bargain shopping and want to not ice guys like Holland and Carey....

I get it. Realistically an argument can be made about any of the players and they have been made here: Zucc, Hayes, Vesey, Grabner, Nash, etc. Each brings something that’s “hard to come by” or is a “good leader” or can “teach the kids.” That group sucks. That group has won exactly 0. The team needs an overhaul and not just McDonagh and Miller. The entire roster.

Fatfrancesa
04-18-2018, 08:48 AM
Grabners struggles has to be a concern. He was a great fit with av. He’s had no success otherwise and is now a healthy scratch. With a new coach coming in and hopefully bringing back structure it would make me pause in bringing him back.

Ozzy
04-18-2018, 09:19 AM
I loved his effort here during his tenure, but I think it's time to move forward with new faces and a new attitude here....Nash included. I wanna see a whole new regime. ....again that's me. I'm tired of the same old crapola.

Out with the old, and in with the new...

Gravesy
04-18-2018, 10:01 AM
I get it. Realistically an argument can be made about any of the players and they have been made here: Zucc, Hayes, Vesey, Grabner, Nash, etc. Each brings something that’s “hard to come by” or is a “good leader” or can “teach the kids.” That group sucks. That group has won exactly 0. The team needs an overhaul and not just McDonagh and Miller. The entire roster.

Agreed. You only have to watch the ongoing playoff series to appreciate how much of a reboot this organization needs. Could you imagine our current roster in any of these series? It would be utter carnage.

Fatfrancesa
04-18-2018, 11:46 AM
We saw it two years ago. Last year we got a favorable draw against teams just like us. This team hasn’t been a legit contender for now three years. Better late than never but this has been needed for a long time

Phil in Absentia
04-18-2018, 11:49 AM
Ideally this would have begun after the embarrassing first round loss to Pittsburgh a few years ago.

Giacomin
04-18-2018, 12:20 PM
Completely get where you all are coming from. Why bother with anyone carrying baggage? Even Nash has 'baggage' as our long-standing highest paid player, who did not meet playoff expectations. Love Nash, but understand if mgmt moves on.

However, Grabs has no baggage. He's not getting big $ or term. I'm not gonna die on this hill, but if the new coach/Gorton think he's the best value at wing in FA, who'd be unhappy bringing him back. People seem to think Grabs didn't do much in Toronto. Look at his linemates and role. Are any still in the NHL? Yet, Babcock praises Grabs as a strong positive influence who did everything asked, was underrated, and knew how to play D. IMO, he liked Grabs D skills, but loved that he always got back on D to disrupt and cover. He doesn't hang, hoping to be a beneficiary of a turnover. He showed he can handle a rebuild situation.

We are really slighting Grabs (and our own eyes) if we attribute his quiet presence in NJ, as he not being good or that he can only play AV's style successfully. There are a lot of reasons, but no need or time to write a book on it. Suffice that if Grabs gets to start camp with most any team, he will become a valuable contributor and at the very least a terrific 4th liner and Pker, with specialized attributes.

Grabs aside, we need not fear the same old. This is a major overhaul. The change in coaching, system and attitude will assure this. The new regime will bring a completely different approach and emphasis. Speed and character is the only thing we should expect. Mgmt will try and bring in more skill. The players who embrace the change and perform as the new staff expects, will become the new leadership group.

Only question so far is Ruff. He may be here because the new coach will likely be lacking NHL experience. Or just as someone for the new coach to interview, even if it is just to get personnel insight. Or maybe he'll be re-positioned. Regardless, all options portend out-of-the-box change.

For those still thinking it won't be different enough. G, Step, McD, Miller, Nash, Grabs, Holden, DD, Holland, Carey, McLoud, Pavelec and assorted crappy defenseman are gone or back in the A. There will be at least another roster player or two traded in the off season, likely forwards. Then we have to let the new coach make an example of a non-rookie who either does not improve or buy-in 100%. We'll weed out the weak as appropriate, while managing our assets. More personnel changes in front of us.

New kids are coming. Add de Haan on D. Kreids is a new man and finally figured it out, Zibs breaks out (if he stays healthy) and is poised to lead on-the-ice and Skjei bounces back. Hank and Georgie bring stability, so we can judge the D. It will be totally fresh. One good apple who busts ass and bolsters our bottom six will have zero negative impact.

Fatfrancesa
04-18-2018, 01:02 PM
I really don’t care either way but all I’m saying is that if you are paying for him don’t expect the same production goal wise. Once he gets into a structured team his production falls, at least that was the case in Toronto and nj. Doesn’t guarantee it but it’s a red flag.

I’m also not sure how different this rebuild will be. Of course there are major changes in personnel and staff. However what scares me is the rumors of Karlsson and Tavares. Both are great players but both come from teams with more than the rangers have and they are terrible. Bringing them in makes headlines and drums up excitement but this team is so flawed it won’t make them anything more than mediocre at best. To me signing guys to massive long term deals will only stunt what needs to happen. The rangers need to build a foundation of quantity of quality young talent. Some will rise some will bust but much like 05 a foundation needs to be poured. Then when the time is right go find that leading man if you don’t get lucky enough to develop one.

My biggest fear is that people always think that the current star available will be the last. So of course they are willing to move heaven and earth to go get him. Both of those guys are great but they are not what is needed right now. Patience and stockpiles of young talent is the only way. To think we can but our way to contention is ludicrous in a hard cap world. Shit look how good it did us when there wasn’t a cap

josh
04-18-2018, 01:03 PM
Are you getting Grabner for the price of a 4th liner, or at the cost of a guy coming off consecutive 27-goal seasons playing limited time? I really dont think we will be bidding on his services, which will probably be the 3-4m for 3-4 years.

josh
04-18-2018, 01:13 PM
I really don’t care either way but all I’m saying is that if you are paying for him don’t expect the same production goal wise. Once he gets into a structured team his production falls, at least that was the case in Toronto and nj. Doesn’t guarantee it but it’s a red flag.

I’m also not sure how different this rebuild will be. Of course there are major changes in personnel and staff. However what scares me is the rumors of Karlsson and Tavares. Both are great players but both come from teams with more than the rangers have and they are terrible. Bringing them in makes headlines and drums up excitement but this team is so flawed it won’t make them anything more than mediocre at best. To me signing guys to massive long term deals will only stunt what needs to happen. The rangers need to build a foundation of quantity of quality young talent. Some will rise some will bust but much like 05 a foundation needs to be poured. Then when the time is right go find that leading man if you don’t get lucky enough to develop one.

My biggest fear is that people always think that the current star available will be the last. So of course they are willing to move heaven and earth to go get him. Both of those guys are great but they are not what is needed right now. Patience and stockpiles of young talent is the only way. To think we can but our way to contention is ludicrous in a hard cap world. Shit look how good it did us when there wasn’t a cap

I think its quite the stretch to say either team has more than the Rangers, whether its roster or pipeline. But neither comes close to the Rangers when it comes to organizational comparisons. Bring in a guy like Tavares, and you'll attract a lot more. Even guys willing to take huge pay cuts and cheaper contracts for a chance to win.
And no, he's not just "the next star", he's legitimately one of the elite centers in the game, and in his prime, and doesnt cost assets to acquire.

And then theres issue with Karlsson? Coming off his "horrible" season, the 2-time Norris winner and 131 Norris nominee still put up more points than any Rangers player has in years, and again, could potentially come at the cost of nothing.

This is much different than overpaying acquiring guys in their late 30s for high draft picks, when there is little to no prospect pool or future.

We wont get a modern Tavares or Karlsson, no matter how many picks you stock pile, or prospects you try to develop.

Phil in Absentia
04-18-2018, 01:24 PM
Are you getting Grabner for the price of a 4th liner, or at the cost of a guy coming off consecutive 27-goal seasons playing limited time? I really dont think we will be bidding on his services, which will probably be the 3-4m for 3-4 years.

Though I don't think they're directly comparable, Benoit Pouliot should be something of a cautionary tale here.

Giacomin
04-18-2018, 01:45 PM

I don't go more than 2 years (maybe 3 if mgmt thinks so) at about 3.3 mil max. That may be enough to lure him back and not test the market waiting for other bidders to miss on their first priorities. Grabs helps, up and down the lineup. A guy like him allows more offensive players to get less PK time and more O zone starts. He also adds competition and forces guys like Lettieri and Nieves to make the team as a scorer or go back down. That's better than just throwing them on the 4th line with their suspect D, just because there are massive holes there.

Add that the D needs help and the defenseman need a couple of vet forwards who really can help defend as a team and be trusted with a 1 goal lead, late.

Giacomin
04-18-2018, 02:02 PM

I hear ya, fair enough. I'll be interested to see how he does no matter where. Doubt he goes to a team like the Ducks, Sharks or Kings where they might not leverage his strengths.

I concur wholeheartedly. There is a big difference between signing Kovy to a 1 year 3.7 mil contract and 3 years at 15 - 18. We are underrating good scouting and drafting. Dahlen, Boqvist and Hughes are all dynamic offensive Dmen who could be the next stars of the league. One of them could be ours. Zadina, Svech and Wahlstrom look likely to be big time scorers and a possibility to be a Ranger. This isn't luck. Trade up a couple of spots if you have to. I'd rather do that than trade away a haul of picks and young assets for a Karlsson who may never be the same.

I get Tavares is tempting cause he is just cap. But how many years has he played already. How many more prime years left? He will sign for at least 7 more years. Risky. I'd rather add that guy once the core is more in place.

Giacomin
04-18-2018, 02:07 PM
I think its quite the stretch to say either team has more than the Rangers, whether its roster or pipeline. But neither comes close to the Rangers when it comes to organizational comparisons. Bring in a guy like Tavares, and you'll attract a lot more. Even guys willing to take huge pay cuts and cheaper contracts for a chance to win.
And no, he's not just "the next star", he's legitimately one of the elite centers in the game, and in his prime, and doesnt cost assets to acquire.

And then theres issue with Karlsson? Coming off his "horrible" season, the 2-time Norris winner and 131 Norris nominee still put up more points than any Rangers player has in years, and again, could potentially come at the cost of nothing.

This is much different than overpaying acquiring guys in their late 30s for high draft picks, when there is little to no prospect pool or future.

We wont get a modern Tavares or Karlsson, no matter how many picks you stock pile, or prospects you try to develop.

Josh I can understand your stand on Tavares and your final sentiment. What doesn't jive is getting Karlsson for next to nothing. He'll cost the bulk of our premium picks, Buch or Lias or Chytil and the same type of salary as Tavares. His acquisition does not fit with where we are unless it is a total fire sale. It won't be.

Giacomin
04-18-2018, 02:16 PM
Though I don't think they're directly comparable, Benoit Pouliot should be something of a cautionary tale here.

Benoit's expectations and salary/term were way too high in Edm. He also is not nearly as fast, can't play D and does not take care of his body the way Grabner does. Better hands, but not better hockey sense, nor does he have his intensity and dedication. Not the same risk at all, at the reasonable contract we'd expect.

ThirtyONE
04-18-2018, 02:19 PM
I don't go more than 2 years (maybe 3 if mgmt thinks so) at about 3.3 mil max. That may be enough to lure him back and not test the market waiting for other bidders to miss on their first priorities. Grabs helps, up and down the lineup. A guy like him allows more offensive players to get less PK time and more O zone starts. He also adds competition and forces guys like Lettieri and Nieves to make the team as a scorer or go back down. That's better than just throwing them on the 4th line with their suspect D, just because there are massive holes there.

I just think there will be a multitude of players who can fill the role of "competition" for less than 3-4m for 3 years. He's been absolute dead weight on the Devils. He was dead weight on the Leafs. I don't want him back because in 2 years we might need that 3m.

Ozzy
04-18-2018, 02:23 PM
I get where you're going with it Giac, but I'd rather the path be clear to bring up a younger player to let them grow, instead of bringing back Grabby to take that spot. Grabs is cool, I hear ya...and definitely a good player. I'm just accepting the fact that we're going to be rebuilding and I'd rather start with youth and go from there. The reason I think Kovalchuk may be a wise investment is because he'd be a great teacher to guys like Buch and the younger Russian kids coming up.

I see Grabby as a beneficiary of a system that needed to be changed long ago. On top of that, he had what I term a career type year. His speed, which I see as his greatest asset, isn't going to be increasing over time as well going forward, so I have a hard time giving him any term, while "blocking" the path of a youngster.

Same goes for Nash....I loved Nash while he was here...I thought the guy became a complete player here in NY, and was the flip side of what Grabby was; the "NON-Beneficiary" of the system employed by our former coach. I'll be rooting for Nash on another team though because I wanna see us get our own new "Nash" one day.....who know's? We may just draft our new Nash this year! ;)

josh
04-18-2018, 02:58 PM
Josh I can understand your stand on Tavares and your final sentiment. What doesn't jive is getting Karlsson for next to nothing. He'll cost the bulk of our premium picks, Buch or Lias or Chytil and the same type of salary as Tavares. His acquisition does not fit with where we are unless it is a total fire sale. It won't be.

We have camp dumps
We have an abundance of early 2- RFAs that we can not re-sign all of
We have a plethora of draft picks
We have a cupboard filled with prospects, most of whom will never see the NHL ice

Or we can sign him next year and not give up assets.

4EverRangerFrank
04-18-2018, 04:26 PM
I get where you're going with it Giac, but I'd rather the path be clear to bring up a younger player to let them grow, instead of bringing back Grabby to take that spot. Grabs is cool, I hear ya...and definitely a good player. I'm just accepting the fact that we're going to be rebuilding and I'd rather start with youth and go from there. The reason I think Kovalchuk may be a wise investment is because he'd be a great teacher to guys like Buch and the younger Russian kids coming up.

I see Grabby as a beneficiary of a system that needed to be changed long ago. On top of that, he had what I term a career type year. His speed, which I see as his greatest asset, isn't going to be increasing over time as well going forward, so I have a hard time giving him any term, while "blocking" the path of a youngster.

Same goes for Nash....I loved Nash while he was here...I thought the guy became a complete player here in NY, and was the flip side of what Grabby was; the "NON-Beneficiary" of the system employed by our former coach. I'll be rooting for Nash on another team though because I wanna see us get our own new "Nash" one day.....who know's? We may just draft our new Nash this year! ;)

I, too, originally wanted Grabner and Nash back. But now, I'm so, so sure - don't do it. I agree with making room for younger guys and rebuilding from within. Kovy would appear to be the lone exception at the right price/term staying in line with our objectives as a team. Keeping plenty of dollars for when we need to re-sign or extend a proven homegrown player. (My Red Bulls soccer team is proving this point to the fullest. We've become a young, fun, exciting team to watch at a cost that allows mgmt to acquire pieces from South America or abroad who are bonafide additions not just gate boosters.) Stay the course Gorton, we'll be patient.

josh
04-18-2018, 04:43 PM
Other than Skjei this season, and Buchnevich next offseason, we dont have much to worry about for cap space. We dont have anyone else coming off the books looking for any significant increase, and if we bridge Skjei and Buch, their nexts jumps will be tolerable.

In 3 seasons, you have Henrik, Staal, Smith, Shattenkirk, Beleskey, and Zuccarello all off the books. During those years, you have Fast and Kreider to re-sign. Combined they shouldnt go up more than 2m.

The only cap issue we might have is this summer, hence the talk about moving a RFA for picks, prospects, upgrades, team needs, anything.

For years, I've said cap issues are created by overpaying everyguy by 1m, as NY loves to do. It hurts much more than spending top dollars on top talent.

Fatfrancesa
04-18-2018, 06:44 PM
Doughty is available as a ufa next summer as is eol. I’d much rather have doughty and he would cost nothing. What we don’t know is where this team will be a year from now. No matter how it is spun Karlsson makes no sense right now when it costs many of the picks and prospects we just gutted our team to acquire. If Karlsson is still a ufa next summer then sign him then if that’s the play.

So Tavares is s center but next summer there are a bunch of stars hitting ufa. I believe seguin and coulture as well.

josh
04-18-2018, 06:53 PM
I understand the cost of trading for a guy like Karlsson.

I also know the odds that one of our picks ornprospects will deliver what Karlsson will for the next several seasons is slim to none.

I’m not a huge Karlsson fan, and think it’s just a fun be off season convo, but you can’t dismiss the idea of at least kicking the tires

Fatfrancesa
04-18-2018, 07:37 PM
Kick the tires just under don’t teade anything of value for him.

You maybe right about nobody developing into a star but right now the rangers need to build a core going forward. That is something that is attainable. Three years down the road then go ahead and trade for a Karlsson type that fills the hole you haven’t been able to develop and take your young foundation to the next step. Sure none of this guarantees anything as far as the ultimate success. However building strong depth organizationally sets you up to dictate your path forward with better leverage and knowledge of what you need. It also comes with little risk as your not tied into a long term deal while having limited your ability to take advantage of cap strapped teams going forward.

Right now flexibility with the cap, stockpiling young talent, and developing that talent should be the main focus. Trading for Karlsson hurts all those things. Tavares makes more sense but still hurts your flexibility and we aren’t ready to win anyway.

Gravesy
04-19-2018, 07:31 AM
Well that’s the problem isn’t it.
You’re not getting Karlsson without giving up pieces of value.
And I can’t see Ottawa letting him go for anything other than a big part of our future. The price will be based on picks and prospects, not roster players most of us could take or leave.

Giacomin
04-19-2018, 09:45 AM
Comments in bold.

We have camp dumps - Worthless
We have an abundance of early 2- RFAs that we can not re-sign all of - Not attractive for Ottawa. Melnyk is cheap and not only doesn't want RFAs, but also dumping Ryan.
We have a plethora of draft picks - they'll want them including our top #1. So do we. Not happening.
We have a cupboard filled with prospects, most of whom will never see the NHL ice - they'll only want to talk about Buch, Lias, Chytil, maybe Howden and Hajek depending upon who their scouts like. I expect all to be solid NHLers.

the odds that one of our picks or prospects will deliver what Karlsson will for the next several seasons is slim to none.
I’m not a huge Karlsson fan, and think it’s just a fun be off season convo

I'm down for fun chatter and not so pessimistic about this strong draft. It seems littered with potential stars. The kids are entering the draft more prepared than ever. Our pick could yield a star Dman. The top 5 looks fantastic and 6-9 looks great too.

2016 - 6th Tkachuk, 7th Keller, 9th Sergachev
2015 - 7th Provorov, 8th Werenski, 9th Meier, 10th Rantanen
2014 - 8th Nylander, 9th Ehlers, 11th Fiala

And last year's #5 to #11 prospects all are tracking strong. Pettersson, Glass, Lias, Mittelstadt, Rasmussen, Tippett and Valardi. Then look at picks 12-24. All but pick #23 (who I don't know anything about) would be a top prospect on the Rangers. Then there is still Oettinger, Tolvanen and Kostin at the end of the round.

This time we do not pass on selection one from column A, one from column B and one from column C. It is time to eat our veggies and be healthy for years.

Ozzy
04-19-2018, 03:02 PM

You may be on to something here Josh...Think he might go around 12-15? Higher???

josh
04-23-2018, 12:57 PM
https://world.hockeyfeed.com/nhl-news/report-five-nhl-teams-vying-for-voynov

Report: Five NHL teams vying for Voynov

Five NHL teams have been in contact with defencemen Vyacheslav Voynov’s agent according to reports out of Russia.

They are the Florida Panthers, Winnipeg Jets, New York Islanders, New York Rangers and the Montreal Canadiens. pic.twitter.com/EfCn6M5mzU— Complete Hockey News (@CompleteHkyNews) April 23, 2018

Of the team’s who have reportedly shown interest in Voynov, the Islanders likely have the biggest need and the largest role for him to fill. Then again, if the rumors about Voynov’s KHL teammate Ilya Kovalchuk joining the Rangers are true, it may make sense for Voynov to join him in The Big Apple.

Phil in Absentia
04-23-2018, 01:28 PM
Not according to Brooks, who thankfully tossed water on that smoke:

Mobile link: https://twitter.com/nyp_brooksie/status/988463587881517061?s=21

Respecttheblue
04-23-2018, 01:53 PM
Yes, pretty far off the board actually, usually see him anywhere from 12th-25th in 2017 pre-draft rankings.

I mean Andersson last year a little off the board, IIRC, wasn't he?

yep ... and I'm still trying to figure out if he is still off the board.
I know it's too soon to tell, and I smack myself on the wrist, bad Phil! but what do you guys see as Andersson's trajectory?

Respecttheblue
04-23-2018, 02:00 PM
Comments in bold.

I'm down for fun chatter and not so pessimistic about this strong draft. It seems littered with potential stars. The kids are entering the draft more prepared than ever. Our pick could yield a star Dman. The top 5 looks fantastic and 6-9 looks great too.

2016 - 6th Tkachuk, 7th Keller, 9th Sergachev
2015 - 7th Provorov, 8th Werenski, 9th Meier, 10th Rantanen
2014 - 8th Nylander, 9th Ehlers, 11th Fiala

And last year's #5 to #11 prospects all are tracking strong. Pettersson, Glass, Lias, Mittelstadt, Rasmussen, Tippett and Valardi. Then look at picks 12-24. All but pick #23 (who I don't know anything about) would be a top prospect on the Rangers. Then there is still Oettinger, Tolvanen and Kostin at the end of the round.

This time we do not pass on selection one from column A, one from column B and one from column C. It is time to eat our veggies and be healthy for years.

Great post. Egads, I hope so, it's been too long. Eat veggies and be healthy NYR drafters, don't phuck this rare opportunity up! Draft BPA and be done with it. No trading 1st round picks for Karlsson. No more trading high picks for injured stars, damaged goods, band aids and hail mary passes. Draft well—No more screwing around with too much off the board nonsense, use your low picks for that Vegas action, not the high ones. Just do it this time! That's what my heart is screaming here.

josh
04-23-2018, 04:09 PM
Not according to Brooks, who thankfully tossed water on that smoke:

Mobile link: https://twitter.com/nyp_brooksie/status/988463587881517061?s=21

I'm not big on the guy, but it cant hurt to check it out.
RH, vet, playoff experience, willingness to fight, probably come pretty cheap to get back in the NHL, too

Phil in Absentia
04-23-2018, 04:13 PM
Actually, it can. He's a piece of shit, unrepentant domestic abuser. There's no team in the league that should show any interest in him whatsoever.

What's next, we kick tires on Jerry Sandusky? "Can't hurt to check it out."

jsrangers
04-23-2018, 04:26 PM
Actually, it can. He's a piece of shit, unrepentant domestic abuser. There's no team in the league that should show any interest in him whatsoever.

Exactly, there's some things that are much more important than the game. Screw this POS.

TwoMinutesForNothing
04-24-2018, 12:15 AM
What if he's reformed and sincerely sorry? I don't know that he is and I'm not saying that he is, but he doesn't get a second chance? What's the point of punishing people if you aren't going to give them the chance to be better afterwards?

Phil in Absentia
04-24-2018, 12:39 AM
By all accounts, he isn't. I've yet to see a public apology from him or any kind of acknowledgment of wrong-doing. He beat his spouse nearly half to death, on numerous occassions, leaving her and their bathroom a bloody mess the last time, and fled to Russia.

Show me the repentant man and I'll be one step closer to giving him the benefit of doubt.

Fatfrancesa
04-25-2018, 06:32 PM
Caught the under 18s the other night. Of course jack Hughes looked amazing. Wahlstrom, farrabee, and deandre miller looked pretty damn good too. But the guy who raised my expectations the most was Bode Wilde. He was impressive. Big kid who can really skate and shoot the puck. Didn’t see him lay any big hits but it is said it’s in his game. I know it was against Belarus so the competition isn’t great but he looks like a good one.

jsrangers
04-25-2018, 06:55 PM
By all accounts, he isn't. I've yet to see a public apology from him or any kind of acknowledgment of wrong-doing. He beat his spouse nearly half to death, on numerous occassions, leaving her and their bathroom a bloody mess the last time, and fled to Russia.

Show me the repentant man and I'll be one step closer to giving him the benefit of doubt.

good call, don't want the pos here.

Puck Head
04-25-2018, 08:05 PM
Caught the under 18s the other night. Of course jack Hughes looked amazing. Wahlstrom, farrabee, and deandre miller looked pretty damn good too. But the guy who raised my expectations the most was Bode Wilde. He was impressive. Big kid who can really skate and shoot the puck. Didn’t see him lay any big hits but it is said it’s in his game. I know it was against Belarus so the competition isn’t great but he looks like a good one.

Wilde is my dark horse. I’d select him as high as 10

josh
04-25-2018, 08:14 PM
Yeah we know you would take the American available

Dunny
04-25-2018, 11:28 PM
You guys know José Reyes plays for the Mets, right?

josh
04-26-2018, 08:12 AM
Expos.
wont bother looking. just cares about USA on the jersey.

thought you were talking about the pick not the felon. my bad

torontonyr
04-26-2018, 09:20 AM

Totally forgot about this. Fuck this guy.

ThirtyONE
04-26-2018, 11:54 AM
Two days until we know what kind of players we're actually looking at drafting.

Gravesy
04-26-2018, 02:41 PM
Two days until we know what kind of players we're actually looking at drafting.

Pathetically enough I’m actually starting to feel a bit of nerves coming on.
It would be such a massive boost to get lucky and get in the top 3.

phillyb™
04-26-2018, 03:30 PM
I have a good feeling.

Parsley
04-26-2018, 03:46 PM
Top 3 pick incoming. I feel it in my ballz.

Shane Falco
04-26-2018, 03:49 PM

:lol:

04-27-2018, 05:10 AM
Pathetically enough I’m actually starting to feel a bit of nerves coming on.
It would be such a massive boost to get lucky and get in the top 3.

Not pathetic at all, this could be a huge part of this franchise next 15 years. I feel like we have a game 7 coming up, and its just the fucking lottery. First time ever I will bother watching it actually.

04-27-2018, 05:14 AM

19%, 1 out of 5. We deserve it!

btw what time is the lottery?

Bieser
04-27-2018, 07:52 AM
19%, 1 out of 5. We deserve it!

btw what time is the lottery?

Below from NHL.com If I'm reading it right, 4-15 is announced first? I haven't had any coffee yet...

Picks 4-15 will be announced during the "2018 NHL Draft Lottery Show" on Saturday (7:30 p.m. ET; NBC, CBC, TVAS). The top three selections will be revealed during the second intermission of Game 2 of the Western Conference Second Round between the San Jose Sharks and Vegas Golden Knights (8 p.m. ET; NBC, CBC, SN, TVAS).

04-27-2018, 08:01 AM
thanks. Looks like they do 4-15 first(probably starting With 15?), But why have the lottery in the intermission of a playoff games? makes no sense lol

Pete
04-27-2018, 08:20 AM
It does if you want fans who's teams have been eliminated to watch a hockey game between Vegas and San Jose in late April...

Phil in Absentia
04-27-2018, 09:02 AM
Because it builds a great anticipation the longer your team goes without being named.

torontonyr
04-27-2018, 09:56 AM
Because it builds a great anticipation the longer your team goes without being named.

This. It makes sense, though it's not too my taste.

josh
04-27-2018, 10:13 AM
I'll just look up the spoilers online.

#RussianMeddling2018

josh
04-27-2018, 11:43 AM
seeing tweets claiming Wahlstrom isnt going to Harvard anymore? Any word on this?

How close would he be to NHL ready? I didnt watch him with that thought. But being 1-dimensional, and that one fitting a huge hole for the Rangers, actually does intrigue me a bit.

Phil in Absentia
04-27-2018, 12:12 PM
Wahlstrom is committed. I've seen nothing suggesting otherwise.

RJWantsTheCup
04-28-2018, 11:31 AM
Have a feeling they are going to
Move up

phillyb™
04-28-2018, 12:03 PM
So excited for tonight! Go rangers draft lottery!!!

Dunny
04-28-2018, 12:48 PM
I don't understand why somebody that's a virtual lock to become a millionaire to play hockey would choose to play short season amateur hockey instead of signing a contract to start what is surely his career path. It's mind boggling.

I don't see it as being much better in Major Junior anymore, either. Major Junior teams used to pay premium players big bucks, but they put an end to that under the guise of "fairness" now nobody gets anything. Brilliant.

Auston Matthews is the only one that's figured this out, I really thought other NA players would clue in to how fucked they get vs. their Euro counterparts.

Ranger Lothbrok
04-28-2018, 03:24 PM
I'm irrationally nervous about this. Like, more so than I've been for any playoff game in recent years. The fact that the last top three pick we had was over 50 years is truly pathetic. I feel like we're due for some good luck, but more than likely we'll move back three spots.

Ranger Lothbrok
04-28-2018, 03:59 PM
It's bizarre to me that it's not even so-called "magical thinking" anymore. Like people claim there's no such thing as luck, or hexes, or jinxes, or curses, etc. But at what point, when your luck is so bad for so long and it's so frequent, does it cease being magical thinking and become an empirically-proven piece of factual data? When you RELIABLY get screwed by the hockey gods time and time again, it's no longer "luck," which implies that it's transitory/temporary/subject to change, it starts being a foregone conclusion.

Posted a few weeks back that I had a good feeling. Now that the day is here I don't anymore. I can all but guarantee the top three picks are going to be:
1. Islanders
2. Edmonton/Carolina/Dallas/St. Louis/Florida
3. Islanders

If the Devils had missed the playoffs, they would have gotten the second spot. Same goes for the Flyers. If I'm an Islanders fan, I am thanking my lucky stars that the Rangers are in the draft lottery, because it all but guarantees a favorable outcome.

Fatfrancesa
04-28-2018, 05:44 PM
I wonder in how many of those years we didn’t own our first round pick?

Ranger Lothbrok
04-28-2018, 07:08 PM
So we don't actually have to wait that long to find out what happened. My understanding is that they just turn over cards starting at 15 and moving down. So if we we don't see the Islanders twice, Edmonton, Carolina, Dallas, St. Louis, or Florida in picks 9-15, we'll know they're in the top 3. Conversely, if pick #8 comes around and we haven't seen our team, we'll know we're in the top 3.

josh
04-28-2018, 07:41 PM
I’m nervous

josh
04-28-2018, 07:45 PM
15 Florida

josh
04-28-2018, 07:46 PM
14 Flyers
13 stars
12 islanders

josh
04-28-2018, 07:46 PM
11 islander s

josh
04-28-2018, 07:47 PM
10 Oiler

Carolina in top 3

josh
04-28-2018, 07:47 PM
9 fuck

Parsley
04-28-2018, 07:48 PM
Fuck.

Parsley
04-28-2018, 07:48 PM
Fuck

04-28-2018, 08:08 PM
Trade up and get Hughes/Wahlstrom or trade down and get one of Wilde, Farabee or Kotkaniemi. I dont want Dobson/Smith

Dunny
04-28-2018, 08:20 PM
Make the pick and take Kravstov. He smells like a steal.

Dobson sounds too much like a project. I'd take Bouchard though, RH dream boat. No to the guy that looks like he's 13.